The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small backpack - help

spb

Staff member
I am using two backpacks. One I use with one lens, 907X and Grip that is the Billingham 35 Rucksack and the other when I take same camera, two lenses flash etc, and that is this new Vinta II backpack. The Billingham bag will outlast the Vinta of that I am sure. The Vinta has one advantage and that is the bag has a rear zip opening for the gear, the partitions except one have all been removed.

No bag I have found is ideal!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like the new rear-opening Thinktank Backstory's. IMHO they look nicer than a typical pack, and I prefer the rear-opening feature when I'm actually using one and need to set it down in the field -- any crud from the ground is now on the outside of the pack and not the area that will be on my back when I put it back on. 2 sizes a 13 and 15 for the respective laptops they'll hold: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/backstory-series-backpacks/products/backstory-13

Godfrey

That Backstory 13 looks nice, Jack. Another product that I've added to my "hmm, possibles" list. :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That Backstory 13 looks nice, Jack. Another product that I've added to my "hmm, possibles" list. :)
I just ordered the 15 for myself. It should be here early next week and I will report back.

vjbelle

I have never been unhappy with a Thinktank product. They just seem to think things through in a way that meets my needs. I'm also after a small backpack that I can throw into a checked suitcase for use when I arrive at my destination. To get through airports I have a Thinktank roller which I'm 'Really' happy with.

Seems that the Backstory may be my next bag......

Victor B.

FloatingLens

Michael my favorite backpack I own for looks is made by Wotancraft, out of Taiwan, it was recommended to me by a fellow Leica user. Mine is larger, but they make several different sizes.
Wotancraft's gear is impeccable! My heart goes to the Wotancraft Shadow Warrior.

algrove

Mindshift Backlight 26L. Opens like an f-stop but also has a strap to keep it open while using 2 hands and with waist strap keeps it off the ground while changing lenses etc. VERY tripodable and has top one bottom attachment openers just for that. Very light weight but tough. Also has plenty of space for outer jacket and spaces for computer and iPad if needed. Flat bottom too.

MartinN

I wouldn’t change my F stop Guru UL. F stop has the best protective inserts, ICU and the bag designs are timeless. Just keeps going without problems. For more extensive trips I simply pick a bigger F stop.

fmueller

Mindshift Backlight 26L. Opens like an f-stop but also has a strap to keep it open while using 2 hands and with waist strap keeps it off the ground while changing lenses etc. VERY tripodable and has top one bottom attachment openers just for that. Very light weight but tough. Also has plenty of space for outer jacket and spaces for computer and iPad if needed. Flat bottom too.
I really like the Mindshift Backlight. I have a 26L that I used for a Fuji Gfx 100 kit. Perfect size. I've since sold the Fuji and have moved to a Hasselblad 907x and 4 lenses. The 26L was too big so I bought the 18L which is perfect for the 907x.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My TT Backstory 15 just arrived. I can get my Z7 body with 24-70/2.8 mounted, 75-300 with FTZ, 105 macro, 14-30/4, 50/1.8S, extension tubes, filters, included rain-cover, and still have room for 2 smaller lenses or a flash or a second body in the main compartment. There are some nifty padded retaining pads to keep lenses from rattling around while laid flat inside. In the outer slip pocket, I fit gloves, buff, camera batteries and charger, MBP and charger, cards, card reader and spare drive, as well as enough room for a thin extra layer or rain jacket. A rear outer pocket for sun or reading glasses, 2 collapsable side pockets for water bottle and snacks, and then a very slick hidden rear outer tripod cup and lash strap! The sternum and waist straps detach easily which is a HUGE benefit to me as they rarely get used, are always in my way and so I usually cut them off my other packs -- but these I've got stored in the bottom of the slip pocket should I ever want them. Convenient padded roller bag loop integrated into the back padding. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the design, and it is quite comfortable to schlep as loaded above. Also as loaded above, it is stable enough to stand upright up on its bottom, a convenience while I'm waiting at the gate not to have it leaning against my chair or leg. Also as loaded but without a tripod attached, it appears to meet the smaller EU carryon standard as well. Finally it doesn't look like a camera or computer bag, but like a modern overnight carryon. Overall, I give it 2-thumbs up out of the gate, but time with it will confirm.

Last edited:

PSS

for actual hiking the mind shift is hard to beat, so light and the top compartment is great for other then camera stuff (food, clothes,...) and the rotating bottom is great for shooting whiteout taking the backpack off...
I ordered the TT backstory 15 and really, really liked it, well made, my only problem is that you have to take it off and put it down to get to the main part, the top held my 907 with finder and lens well, but changing lens meant putting everything down....so I returned it and went with the
peak design (larger version)....again, really well made, comfortable, I can see myself hiking with it, plenty of room.....I did have to get extra dividers to really store and keep lenses from clanking into each other.....it holds 907, X1D, 21, 30, 45P, 90 easily....the peak design tripod fits in as well (along with all the other stuff) and there is still room....
easy to access top and I do like side access to just swing it around or when it hangs from tripod....
I guess I am not a big fan of rear access....I shoot on the beach a lot, putting a backpack down flat on the sand is madness and in other places I still prefer to being able to hold it and still change lenses....

rickermiler

I picked Herschel Supply Co. Retreat Backpack because it would better for someone(me) who is 5"0 and travelling overseas.

ThdeDude

[QUOTE, post: 819117, member: 23224"]
... camera waist pack ... that they become impractical up from a certain size and/or weight of camera gear.
[/QUOTE]

Also my experience. For me, must be under 10Ib.

Geoff

for actual hiking the mind shift is hard to beat, so light and the top compartment is great for other then camera stuff (food, clothes,...) and the rotating bottom is great for shooting whiteout taking the backpack off...
Is the rotating bottom big enough for a Tech camera, back and lens? It didn't seem so, but might be useful for a lens change? Thanks.