The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small travel field ladder?

Smoothjazz

An interesting question; my Gitzo XLS tripod extends to about 8 feet in height. and add another 6 inches for the Phase camera body. In landscaping photos I sometimes find that having all the height can be a real advantage for some photos. Question is, what can you use in the field to stand on to gain an extra 2 1/2 feet? Is there a super lightweight and compact travel ladder you could carry around with your pack? I have been trying to stand on a small travel camping chair with mixed results.
Thanks for your help.
John

rdeloe

Funny you should ask...

R. de Loe 20230727-PXL_20230727_153348286.jpg

I have this picture because I knew as soon as I bought this ladder at the hardware store while out doing fieldwork that the financial compliance people at work would press the "Audit This Guy" button and want to know why I needed a ladder! I was not wrong.

I keep this thing in the car just in case I run into this kind of scenario, for which it is a lifesaver. I wouldn't want to have to backpack it though. It's not very heavy, but it is a bit cumbersome, and standing on anything like this on uneven ground would make me nervous. What you're looking for (2.5 feet) would require something even larger and heavier than this to be remotely safe.

I'm curious to see if someone else checks in with a good idea for you that I can use too.

akaru

A cheap but robust hi-hat? I think Benro makes one meant for telescopes that might be strong enough. Then you could use it as a tripod as well as a seat or a ladder.

anwarp

The stilts are probably not a bad idea! You might be able to make a light pair with the upper sections of carbon fibre tripod legs.

Just practice with them on uneven terrain with a low height first.

f6cvalkyrie

and if your adventurous enough, this might be for you ...
It takes some exercising, and, I did not tell you about this !!! :)

stay safe,
Rafael

steltenlopers.jpg

darr

I support Pieter's suggestion because I have personal experience with a three-step ladder in the studio (I am 5'3" on a good day), and it can be somewhat risky, especially if you tend to become engrossed in your gear setup and forget to maintain your balance. I've had several near accidents and now solely rely on the stool displayed below. I've owned this stool for approximately a decade, and it strikes a good balance between being lightweight and sturdy. I bought it either off Amazon or at Walmart for under US $10.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
@Ed Hurst , have you considered adding a hedge trimmer to your kit? Might have helped in the first image. :ROFLMAO:

This is where I find a center column useful. You can set everything up with the column lowered the camera reachable overhead, then raise the column and use phone tether to confirm framing and focus. Since I usually shoot in daylight, I find an 8 foot monopod works even better. And it weighs only 2 pounds.

Matt

Ed Hurst

@Ed Hurst , have you considered adding a hedge trimmer to your kit? Might have helped in the first image. :ROFLMAO:

This is where I find a center column useful. You can set everything up with the column lowered the camera reachable overhead, then raise the column and use phone tether to confirm framing and focus. Since I usually shoot in daylight, I find an 8 foot monopod works even better. And it weighs only 2 pounds.

Matt
Wish I could have trimmed it - but a) protected land / vegetation; b) very visible location with houses all around; c) the troublesome vegetation continued far beyond what I could reach (out to the left of the shot). But if only :)

Here's the shot in question:
Star Trails over Dee Why lagoon by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

I avoid centre columns if possible, especially with shooting star trails for 2 hours, where I need the camera not to move at all over the whole period. But perhaps it can be achieved with the right gear!

Mexecutioner

I support Pieter's suggestion because I have personal experience with a three-step ladder in the studio (I am 5'3" on a good day), and it can be somewhat risky, especially if you tend to become engrossed in your gear setup and forget to maintain your balance. I've had several near accidents and now solely rely on the stool displayed below. I've owned this stool for approximately a decade, and it strikes a good balance between being lightweight and sturdy. I bought it either off Amazon or at Walmart for under US $10.

My wife has the exact same one (in purple) to use around the kitchen when I’m not around. I have used it and felt safe on it, and I’m a big dude.

Smoothjazz

What a great image! In his basic photo series Ansel talks about many images that required a higher point of view- that would not have worked from ground level. One was the Mount Williamson photo, another the 'Church and Road' -Bodega, California - which required a higher point of view to look down the road that lead to the church.

John