The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spam appearing on site

diforbes

I'm seeing what I judge are spam posts, including three for London taxi services and several for Japanese girlie magazines. Time for a clean up!

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
Please use the report feature if you see any. Hopefully the mods will then see it (plus it lets me see it and I can add any words from the post that are obviously spam to the spam word list

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and for any mods or Admins. If you see any spam on a thread use the Spam option that should be at the bottom of the post as shown in the attached image. That will remove the post, ban the user, remove all their other posts, show any duplicate accounts that you can then ban and will submit their email and ip to spam blacklists helping other sites keep them from signing up (Which we also use to block people signing up that are known spammers

1604274229624.png

Or if you see it via the Report Page you can do the same from that spam report. There will be a spam button on the side of the reported post as shown below

1604274438110.png

pegelli

One method that was used on the "old" site was that the first 5 posts of a new member needed to be approved by a moderator before it was shown. Don't know if the new forum software has the option to set this up, but if it does I think that's another great way to discourage spammers.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh and for any mods or Admins. If you see any spam on a thread use the Spam option that should be at the bottom of the post as shown in the attached image. That will remove the post, ban the user, remove all their other posts, show any duplicate accounts that you can then ban and will submit their email and ip to spam blacklists helping other sites keep them from signing up (Which we also use to block people signing up that are known spammers

View attachment 178187

Or if you see it via the Report Page you can do the same from that spam report. There will be a spam button on the side of the reported post as shown below

View attachment 178188
Simon, I am not seeing the "spam" button on my screens as an Admin. I had to ban a spammer earlier this morning manually, which is a PITA> Can you check to make sure the switch is thrown for all Mods and Admins?

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
Simon, I am not seeing the "spam" button on my screens as an Admin. I had to ban a spammer earlier this morning manually, which is a PITA> Can you check to make sure the switch is thrown for all Mods and Admins?
You do have permission to access it so it should be showing. I've run a permissions rebuild to see if that sorts it. Let me know if it’s now showing

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You do have permission to access it so it should be showing. I've run a permissions rebuild to see if that sorts it. Let me know if it’s now showing
It just now showed up -- so the permissions rebuild must have handled it -- thank you!