The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera advice

huyu

Hi folks,

I'm looking to jump into the tech cam world.. I've been surfing, and reading quite a lot. But somehow I'm still not so sure..
I'm now using XF, IQ1-100, and IQ380 for studio work
I'm shooting architect & interior occasionally with my Sony and Canon TS-E lens (17/24mm..)

In my area, there are no tech cam users or dealers. So I couldn't try it before I bought it.
I've read it's better to use the tech cam with a digital back that has ES - like IQ3100 - I couldn't afford the latest one - for now. (I'm going to trade one of my back to it)

. Cambo Wide DS and a Schneider Digitar 35mm are affordable - would be a start?
Any guidance for a newbie?

Thank you,

anwarp

Hi
From what I’ve read, the Schneider 35 does not work well with the IQ3 100. You need the newer BSI IQ4150 if you want a CMOS sensor.
I don’t have the 380, but it works well on my 260 for IR photographs.
I use a Cambo actus.

If I were starting on a tech camera, I would probably consider the Arca Swiss (RM3Di?) system, where tilt and the focusing ring are part of the body itself.

dchew

There are several threads here about starting out. A lot of it is in lens discussions so a little searching is required. I usually search in google using “site:getdpi.com” at the end of the search string.
You can also check out a series of articles I wrote here: Technical Cameras-Intro
There are three follow up articles to that one. I need to get back on that!

Dave

Last edited:

dchew

Here is s a short thread about the 35xl:

The first three images in my post are with the IQ3 100. I think that back performed a bit better with color cast vs the IQ150. Not as good as the IQ 160/260/360, but better than the 180/280/380.

Dave