The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

Audii-Dudii

The raw images from the A6000M were simply imported directly into LR CC with a preset applied during import. Simply sets camera profile to Adobe Camera Neutral, clarity+20, Vibrance and Saturation both to -100, Sharpening amount 60, radius 0.5, detail 70, masking 20, minor exposure adjustments as needed. I tried AccuRaw monochrome initially, but ran into some artifact problems so opted for this simple processing routine instead. Vivek suggested the vibrance/saturation settings based on his experience with the Nex 5N-M.
Thanks for the info, but I now suspect that I am responding to the benefits of a monochrome conversion, not a B&W conversion, as I somehow hadn't paid enough attention to realize that you were using a modified camera.

Did you perform the mod yourself or have it done professionally? I ask because I have two RX1s that are slowly, but steadily falling apart, and the scruffier of the two now needs a lens replacement, so the camera has to be almost completely disassembled ... well, you can probably see where I'm heading with this. ;)

scho

Thanks for the info, but I now suspect that I am responding to the benefits of a monochrome conversion, not a B&W conversion, as I somehow hadn't paid enough attention to realize that you were using a modified camera.

Did you perform the mod yourself or have it done professionally? I ask because I have two RX1s that are slowly, but steadily falling apart, and the scruffier of the two now needs a lens replacement, so the camera has to be almost completely disassembled ... well, you can probably see where I'm heading with this. ;)
I had Dan at maxmax.com do the monochrome conversion of a stock A6000. If he can do it I assume that an RX1 would make a very nice monochrome camera. He has been doing Fujifilm X100s and now X100F fixed lens cameras as well.

tcdeveau

An old one from last fall....full-spectrum A7R, 55mm FE1.8, visible bandpass filter, converted to B&W in Silver Efex

IMG_4394.jpg

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I do like the creamy dreaminess after first Silver Efex then Duplex filter in Col Efex.
RX100/3, 1/80 @ f3.2, full zoom at 1250 ASA.
A pocket point'n'shoot wizard.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thank you. Most kind of you:eek:
I think Venice is probably best visited out of season.
I was there in January of this year, four days of almost unbroken sunshine, and quite quiet. Delicious!

Audii-Dudii

Atomic Blonde

I took this photo at 4:02 am this morning, with my tripod setup in the street.

To my surprise, a police car drove past and didn't even slow down, let alone stop to hassle me, as has usually been the case for the past couple of years.

Perhaps there's been another change of policy with regard to photographers?

A7R / Cambo Actus / Sigma 35/f1.4

Bugleone

Well policemen chat to eachother about their fascination with 'the job' and they all probably know about you now as 'Photoman' or 'nightpix', or 'The Nutter with The Camera'.......true acceptance will come when they pull over to ask you for some photo tips.....

Audii-Dudii

Well policemen chat to eachother about their fascination with 'the job' and they all probably know about you now as 'Photoman' or 'nightpix', or 'The Nutter with The Camera'.......true acceptance will come when they pull over to ask you for some photo tips.....
Well, that's how it was when I started photographing this area at night back in 2009. (FYI, I've been photographing there during the day since 1997, when I was still using an 8x10 Toyo view camera.)

But sometime in late 2012 / early 2013, all that changed.

For reasons I was never able to learn or discern, it became difficult-to-impossible for me to photograph in this area without the police hassling me -- i.e., threatening me with tickets for jaywalking or obstructing traffic, et al -- and/or interfering with my photos, usually by following me around with their patrol car and shining the car's headlights and spotlights on every scene I attempted to photograph.

It got so bad that last year, I could pretty much count on a police car stopping to question me literally every single time I setup my camera to photograph a scene and as often as not, before I even managed to make my first exposure.

A month ago, my experience this morning would not have happened. Clearly, something has changed between then and now, but I'll be damned if I know what it is....

mediumcool

Re: Atomic Blonde

To my surprise, a police car drove past and didn't even slow down, let alone stop to hassle me, as has usually been the case for the past couple of years.

Perhaps you have become a local legend? And I’m assuming (with no evidence) that you’re not black! :D

scho

A family of bikers on the waterfront trail. A6000M 16-50 with B+W Orange filter.

A pair of dragon boats.

scho

Re: Atomic Blonde

What aperture did you use with this setup and any tilt applied? Nice depth of focus in this scene. I've been using an old MF Pentax-A 35mm on the Actus with an A7r on back. Plenty of room for shifts and tilt and very sharp.