The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fujinon GF Tilt Shift Lenses Are Finally Here!

Alan

Duplicating a post I just made on DP Review responding to @marc aurel about C1 and the new 30mm TS: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67255342

TL;DR version: profile recognized but corrections not enabled. Lens has a bit of distortion and light falloff, but I'm very impressed!

Warning: nerdy architecture photo stuff ahead...

I just updated C1 and checked out the DP Review sample files. Image DSCF0668 is particularly good for checking corrections since it's well leveled and has detail in the shifted corner.
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-gal...0-ii-pre-production-sample-gallery/2913371124

My standard workflow for finding shift amount in leveled architectural images is:
  1. Set grid to mm on the sensor (or .5mm if possible) for the GFX, this is 66x88 for a .5mm grid.
  2. Read the distance from center of the image (red cross in preview window) to the location of zero convergence of horizontal lines (camera level). If two dimensions of shift have been used, do this for both X and y directions.*
  3. Enter that offset in the Lens Correction - Movement field. (This offset affects distortion, light falloff, CA correction and sharpness falloff.)
As I went to enter the measured shift amount (about +15mm Y), I saw that it had already been populated by default! One change is that normally there are Shift X and Shift Y fields - that's changed to Shift and Direction. (There are also Tilt and Direction fields now too!) Anyway, cool - the lens profile and shift metadata are recognized by default.

Distortion correction and Light Falloff are set to zero by default. Attached is a series of screenshots that shows the progression of enabling those corrections (setting each to 100%). Blue marks show default settings, red for settings I've changed.
  1. No correction - as opened in C1
  2. Distortion correction only, set to 100%
  3. Distortion and light falloff correction set to 100%. I dropped exposure 1/3 stop to compensate for the now brighter image.
  4. Distortion and light falloff corrected, and canvas expanded to show the stretched corners.
DSCF0668_GF30_Profile_1s.jpg

DSCF0668_GF30_Profile_2s.jpg

DSCF0668_GF30_Profile_3s.jpg

DSCF0668_GF30_Profile_4s.jpg
*Note: in my own work, I always shoot a zeroed frame to calculate shift from. This way I don't have to take notes :)

Last edited:

vjbelle

It certainly is an impressive file. I opened it in ACR and the latest version does not have a lens profile nor any data fields for shift or tilt. The camera and lens were both recognized by ACR so at least Adobe is partially on top of the updates to the new camera and lens.

Victor B.

diggles

I opened it in ACR and the latest version does not have a lens profile nor any data fields for shift or tilt.
Since ACR doesn't have fields for lens movements like C1, I'm wondering if it will just be BTS information that is used when calculating the 30 TS lens profile lens distortion and vignette correction.

vjbelle

More than likely ACR will not incorprate the data fields for this lens since this is somewhat esoteric. It really doesn't matter much to me as the distortion level is somewhat minimal and again impressive. I would have to see the files that I take to make a determination as to the 'real' distortion levels. Light falloff is easy to correct.

Good times for us in our small univerise.

Victor B.

Last edited:

marc aurel

Since ACR doesn't have fields for lens movements like C1, I'm wondering if it will just be BTS information that is used when calculating the 30 TS lens profile lens distortion and vignette correction.
Lightroom in the current version does not make use of the embedded shift metadata of the lens. If you compare the screenshots from C1 Alan showed above – the image in Lightroom looks like Alans uncorrected image. I could not even find the shift metadata in the exif data panel.

marc aurel

More than likely ACR will not incororate the data fields for this lens since this is somewhat esoteric. It really doesn't matter much to me as the distortion level is somewhat minimal and again impressive. I would have to see the files that I take to make a determination as to the 'real' distortion levels. Light falloff is easy to correct.

Good times for us in our small univerise.

Victor B.
I agree that distortion and vignetting are very small with this lens. Impressive indeed. But not zero.
For shooting architecture the perfect correction of originally straight lines is not what I would call "esoteric".

By the way – I liked you word creation "univerise", a universe with rise (and shift) ;-)

vjbelle

Who knows.... Even under the 'Lens Correction Filter' in PS Fuji is not listed as an option for manufacturer. Adobe may never make any corrections for this lens. For me, it wouldn't matter as I much prefer to make my own adjustments.

Victor B.

Last edited:

marc aurel

Who knows.... Even under the 'Lens Correction Filter' in PS Fuji is not listed as an option for manufacturer. Adobe may never make any corrections for this lens. For me, it wouldn't matter as I much prefer to make my own adjustments.

Victor B.
Hi Victor,
I can of course understand. Everybody has his own approach.
But please don't say that too loud 🙏. Those who want this feature need support in their request :whistle:
Best, Marc

diggles

I'm somewhat ok without seeing the shift data, my assumption was that it would be viewable somewhere in the metadata, but now I'm not sure… No lens correction would be very disappointing though.

vjbelle

Adobe, to my knowledge, has never supported movement correction for any lens. Very small market and I suppose they don't feel justified to make the code changes. Would, of course, be very nice to see them put their toes into this area but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. I have made a mental decision to move away from C1 as I really don't like their business practices. Just a decision for me and not encouraging anyone else to come along.....

Victor B.

corvus

I was just talking with an architect while scouting today about how far away to shoot overall building exteriors. I showed him how 35mm (on 135 format) is my default "neutral" feeling focal length that doesn't make the building feel too flat or too sharp. (This would be around 45mm on a GFX, 50-55mm on IQ4.) He expressed annoyance with photographers who always push super wide exaggerated shots with the corner of the building projecting up in an acute angle.

Of course, that's not always possible to use due to other buildings across the street, too tall of a subject building, etc. And last week, a different architect was totally OK with the super-wide look. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alan, I agree with that wholeheartedly. I'm an architect myself, and I value it just as much. For the most balanced focal length, I use the rule of thumb that it should roughly correspond to the diagonal of the image. In full format, that would be 40-45mm, for example. Then the proportions and the depth of space appear approximately as in the real spatial perception. A bit wider is still okay, but I would not favor getting as much as possible on the image with extremely large image angles if the image proportions suffer as a result. This can be very distorting, for example in interior shots, when original squares become elongated trapezoids.
When I was in the Berlin Olympic Stadium for the first time, I was shocked by what a steep funnel this space formed. I knew it before only from TV, where it seemed wide and flat and somehow boring. Architects do not like such images at all ;)

Greetings Torsten

vjbelle

Am very curious as to when these will 'ACTUALLY' be available in the US. I'm not in any hurry but a friend of mine sure is....

Victor B,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Am very curious as to when these will 'ACTUALLY' be available in the US. I'm not in any hurry but a friend of mine sure is....

Victor B,
Well, I ordered as soon as they were announced and delivery seemed to be very delayed into 2024. I cancelled in the end and bought a CFV100C instead, as I figured I could just use my Actus for tilt with arguably better lenses.

Steve Hendrix

Victor B,

We've been receiving 110mm TS lenses just in the past 30 days for end user orders. The 30mm TS lenses I'm told are a bit further out.

Steve Hendrix/CI