The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica Picture Thread

pegelli

Bart, I love those UK steam photos, but you know I'm a steam fan.

About 40 years earlier, and in Germany. Bw Rheine still had an active steam operation at that time

IIIf + Elmar 50/3.5

And in 1975 I visited the Bluebell Railway and the Kent & East Sussex Railway in the UK. I'll see if I can process some of those negatives as well.

Knorp

Thanks for sharing these old images, Pieter & Bill.
In the early '60 I was still a toddler so I missed that wonderful steam era by a whisker ... :)
Luckily there are still enthusiasts, also in the Netherlands, who keep steam locomotives (and carriages/wagons) going.

pegelli

Thanks for sharing these old images, Pieter & Bill.
In the early '60 I was still a toddler so I missed that wonderful steam era by a whisker ... :)
Luckily there are still enthusiasts, also in the Netherlands, who keep steam locomotives (and carriages/wagons) going.
Well, in the 60's I was a toddler too (born in '56) so the only "real" steam I ever saw was in the '70's in Germany and Poland. So I never saw any regular steam service in the Netherlands or the UK.
But early 70's I was bitten by the steam preservation bug and became a volunteer at the Museum Buurtspoorweg in Haaksbergen (Netherlands) where I was involved in maintenance and overhaul of rolling stock and steam engines and later also became a fireman and driver. My only camera at the time was a Leica IIIf (and an M2 from '79) so I know that all the negatives I scan from that period can be posted in this thread.

Here's two more old scans

Early 70's at the Ffestiniog railway in Porthmadog

1975, one of the "Terriers" at the Kent & East Sussex railway

Both IIIf + Elmar 50/3.5, first Agfa ISS, 2nd Ilford FP4

pegelli

Another from my youth. Near Dainton Bank, Devon. A faded Agfachrome from the early 1960s.y youth - the dying days of steam in the UK, circa 1964. The south side of Dainton Bank in Devon. Agfachrome - faded!
Lovely photos Bill, I think the colours still look OK, I assume you worked some photoshop magic to brush them up. B.t.w., especially nice light on that second one.
And indeed the dying days of UK steam, an express steam engine downgraded to haul a cargo train, not the best use of such pristine high speed engines.

Knorp

Nghaenarfon / Borthmadog, Cymru ...
' Rheilffordd Eryri - Cewech ddirwyn o gwnpas y corneli, pwffian i fyny' r llechweddau serth a disgyn yn esmwyth y tu ôl i injan stêm nerthol, trwy ogonint Eryri yr holl ffordd i Borthmadog'.

| m9 | noctilux 1.0/50mm| 2010 |

Snowdonia Railway - 'Wind around the corners, puff up the steep slopes and descend smoothly behind a mighty steam engine, through the glory of Snowdonia all the way to Porthmadog'.