The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Leica Q3 Announced! Thoughts?

Bianca Ranciato

Super Moderator
Staff member
The New Leica Q3 Announced!

Im calling on my Leica users, and especially the experts at Capture Integration...

What are your thoughts on this new drop!?

19080_Leica_Q3_hero_plate_blk_HiRes_RGB.jpeg

Introducing the 3rd generation of the successful Leica Q cameras,

The Leica Q3.

High-quality craftsmanship, a timeless and sleek design, and simple operation make this family of fixed focal length full-frame cameras stand out. The new Leica Q3 camera delivers perfect photo and video results; equipped with one of the fastest lenses on the market with integrated macro mode and an extensive selection of new features, representing the next evolutionary step in this unique camera segment.

Key Benefits

First ever 60MP BSI CMOS Sensor with Triple Resolution Technology in a Leica Q camera, allowing for 14 stops of dynamic range and digital zoom options up to 90mm
New Maestro IV Processor with 8GB of buffer memory
New state of the art Hybrid Autofocus system with Contrast and Phase Detection autofocus with eye, face, body and animal tracking
New tiltable backscreen with 76% increase in resolution compared to the Leica Q2
New EVF with 56% increase in resolution compared to the Leica Q2, now identical resolution and framerate as the Leica SL2 & SL2-S viewfinders
New Ports: HDMI for video recording & USB-C for charging and data transfer
8K resolution output and ProRes video support
New battery with 18% more power than previous generation
First ever full-frame camera with wireless charging capabilities
10x faster wireless transfer speeds to the Leica FOTOS app with embedded MIMO Technology
IP52 Weather Sealing Certification
New Accessories to customize the look and feel of the Leica Q3
Handmade in Germany

NOW AVAILABLE FOR ORDER NOW

GET IN TOUCH WITH A CI SALESMAN!

CI Salesmen Lineup - Greg Steve Dave Murray Chris

Steve Hendrix – 404.543.8475 [email protected]
Chris Snipes – 813.335.2473 – [email protected]
Dave Gallagher – 770.846.5223 – [email protected]
Murray Elliott – 631.935.3389 – [email protected]
Greg King 408.353.3255– [email protected]
Office – 877.217.9870 – [email protected]

Steve Hendrix

Well ... it's hard to say what is not to like. The Q3 further situates itself as an ideal light weight travel or street camera with more resolution, greater sensitivity, a tilt screen, longer battery life, higher rez displays, phase detect auto focus .... and some other goodies.

These are all advantages over a Q1 or Q2 product. That said, I know many content Q1 (and especially) Q2 users. But I am already getting requests to upgrade, so it is clear that moving to Q3 is going to hold some attraction.

Edit - I said longer battery life - the battery has more juice, but the use output is the same. But not if you use the new battery on a Q2! :)

Steve Hendrix/CI

Digitalcameraman

What Steve said. Many customers who already love the Q2 are calling wanting to know when they can get one too. 60 MP point and shoot with legendary Leica Optics. Yes please.

nameBrandon

Enjoying the higher MP crop modes, especially 35mm being close to 40MP. The Eye / Face AF is pretty consistent as well, glad to have that functionality. USB-C charging is fantastic, and I love that I can still use my Q2 batteries in a pinch!

caver3d

I'm in. Put in my preorder with one of the Leica stores. I have the Leica Q (which I love) and will now leapfrog over the Q2 to the Leica Q3. Perfect.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Enjoying the higher MP crop modes, especially 35mm being close to 40MP. The Eye / Face AF is pretty consistent as well, glad to have that functionality. USB-C charging is fantastic, and I love that I can still use my Q2 batteries in a pinch!
Yes . All very nice and very much tempting . Even the accessory prices are great . The lense shade is only 230€ . 🤮

rmueller

Quite honestly, I don't understand all the positive feedback here and by the reviewers world wide on YouTube. Maybe it is just me but in my opinion the Q3 is a complete design disaster. The flippy screen and moving the three buttons away from the left to the right kills the original beautiful design of this camera. The flippy screen looks like it was simply glued to the back side of the camera with no thought into it (see below image from Q3 and Q2). And who needs 8k video that is anyway not usable for serious video work?
I was tempted to get one (or wait for the Q3 monochrom) but I guess I save up my money for a Hassi X2D (seems they are more careful when it comes to design decisions).

Now you can scold me and this is just my personal opinion about an otherwise great camera when it comes to tech specs.

Regards,
Ralf

LeicaQ2_sideview.pngLeicaQ3_sideview.png

nameBrandon

Quite honestly, I don't understand all the positive feedback here and by the reviewers world wide on YouTube. Maybe it is just me but in my opinion the Q3 is a complete design disaster. The flippy screen and moving the three buttons away from the left to the right kills the original beautiful design of this camera. The flippy screen looks like it was simply glued to the back side of the camera with no thought into it (see below image from Q3 and Q2). And who needs 8k video that is anyway not usable for serious video work?
I was tempted to get one (or wait for the Q3 monochrom) but I guess I save up my money for a Hassi X2D (seems they are more careful when it comes to design decisions).

Now you can scold me and this is just my personal opinion about an otherwise great camera when it comes to tech specs.

Regards,
Ralf

View attachment 203675View attachment 203676
My guess is that Leica is viewing the Q as an opportunity to test the waters with their balance of their industrial design aesthetic and functionality. As we know, they often eschew functionality in favor of a consistent design language. That is admirable, but the tradeoff is that they often lag behind in functionality. The Q may be their vehicle to start to evaluate what shifting that balance looks like. I can absolutely understand your viewpoint, but I think given the response thus far and initial sales, my guess is they'll find support to use the Q-line to evolve functionality and then figure out ways to bring some of the ideas here to other systems.

I do also agree the flippy screen is just OK. My biggest complaint is that it's actually hard to flip out. There's no side bits or anything to grab onto to get leverage on the thing, you have to basically hook it from underneath with a nail or push pretty hard with your finger. It looks like they actually made a design choice here to avoid that extra protrusion.

Anyways, 8k video is a nice add but you're right, without audio in, not huge in camera..and SD card? Yeesh.. but 8k out via HDMI / Atomos Ninja V+ will be nice. And 4k60 is still very useful for non-audio scenarios, like product b-roll or some simple establishing shots.

I won't shift us too far off-topic, but you brought up the X2D.. That is, in my opinion, a dumpster fire of a camera precisely because of the overemphasis on design. Hasselblad made a pretty camera, not a very functional one. No shutter release port.. no live view histogram.. complain about 8k video? how about no video.. Love the updated XCD V lens and the design there, but I sold that X2D a week after it landed. It was too expensive to be a paperweight on my desk.

IMO, go buy a GFX 100s From Capture Integration ($500 off at the moment!), and pick up a lightly used Q2 (without the flip-out screen) as the prices are crashing, and you've barely spent more than a new X2D.

rmueller

Shouldn't have brought up Hassi here, sorry. Just to close this, I have a ton of Hassi gear already, H and X (and V) so Fuji is not an option for me at all.

I agree with your statement about Leica using the Q as a system to evaluate functionality, fair point, especially as the Q seems to attract new customers with no prior investment in Leica which of course is really great for the company.

When it comes to functionality though, I expect if a feature is exposed to the end user then it should be done right or you not expose it in the first place. Just because the sensor also produces something for video doesn't mean I need to expose it to my end users knowing that everything around required for video is just not there.

And yes, I'm seriously considering a Q2 Monochrom.

Regards,
Ralf

raist3d

The Leica Q line is the only Leica line that has really really made me want one (other than the now defunct CL/APSC). And they seem to get just better over time.

I would like to see the Q3 Monochrome though. I almost feel if I am heading this way, I want something very unique that does bring something clear to my photography makings as a new canvas of light.

I do have two issues:
- price (duh, but ok, it is what it is)
- 28mm (but a bit ameliorated by the RAW-crop options)
- camera is big enough to not fit in a jacket pocket.

The last one to me is the real deal breaker so far. I can't count the number of situations I just "cloack" my cameras in my jacket when either taking a break from the photography or making me feel a bit more safe in a so so area (I do street work).

But as far as feature set, ergonomics, UI, capability, the Q line is just fantastic. As much as I idealize the monochrom I think I also do enough work in color that I am not sure I can make that jump to B&W only.

All of this of course, just speaking for myself.

Reactions: spb

algrove

So now that the Q3 has a sensor size similar to the M11 and now with PDAF. What might come next?

I hope it is a Leica E, as in EVF, inserted into an M where the rangefinder currently sits. Now we know the Q3's EVF is right up there with the best or insert the Viso2, so what is holding you up Leica? Certainly not sales projections. That is just smoke and mirrors. They are afraid it will dilute Q sales for now I surmise.:)

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
- camera is big enough to not fit in a jacket pocket.

The last one to me is the real deal breaker so far. I can't count the number of situations I just "cloack" my cameras in my jacket when either taking a break from the photography or making me feel a bit more safe in a so so area (I do street work).
Cheaper to buy a new jacket with bigger pockets! :cool: