The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The struggle of choice

JeffK

How do you deal with choice when packing for a trip. I'd like to stick with one camera system and frame ie: STC or MAX. And only bring one lens. 47 or 70. FOMO is such a huge part of packing a bag. How do others process the decisions to get the bag and choice down to a minimum?

dchew

It depends on what I'm planning and what other stuff I need to carry. I also have two Alpa's: STC and 12+. What I bring varies between the STC and two lenses (60/138) on the light side to the 12+ and 5 lenses (35/60/90/138/250) on the kitchen sink side. Often space is more critical than weight because I'm targeting a specific pack and other items like jackets, water, etc. Also, remember you can stitch images to get a wider angle and crop a bit to get a tighter view.

If I could only take one lens it would be the 60xl with the STC.

JeffK

It depends on what I'm planning and what other stuff I need to carry. I also have two Alpa's: STC and 12+. What I bring varies between the STC and two lenses (60/138) on the light side to the 12+ and 5 lenses (35/60/90/138/250) on the kitchen sink side. Often space is more critical than weight because I'm targeting a specific pack and other items like jackets, water, etc. Also, remember you can stitch images to get a wider angle and crop a bit to get a tighter view.

If I could only take one lens it would be the 60xl with the STC.
Initially was planning the MAX/47mm but I really like the 70mm Digaron-W. If I could only have one lens it would be this 70. (it's an LB so need to have ALPA change to SB17 eventually)

Trip is Vancouver Island, so Qualicum, Cathedral Grove, Tofino. Goals is more beach/water/cloud studies and some tree stuff in the Cathedral Grove. Right now I've got the STC/70mm packed and have room for the 47mm, but would prefer to leave it out. With the 70 I can stand further back and plan to stich to get some pano's.

I think I've made my choice. STC/70 and I'm thankful I'm fortunate enough to even be able to make choices like these.

Last edited:

med

How do others process the decisions to get the bag and choice down to a minimum?
Generally I don’t! I often find myself bringing far more than I need.
Every time I get back from a canoe/kayak trip or hike I swear I will bring less camera equipment next time, but then when packing I end up throwing the kitchen sink into my pack (just in case)…

JeffK

Generally I don’t! I often find myself bringing far more than I need.
Every time I get back from a canoe/kayak trip or hike I swear I will bring less camera equipment next time, but then when packing I end up throwing the kitchen sink into my pack (just in case)…
I used to be good with that too. But every year, I'm a year older. So weight has to come out of the camera bag to compensate for the weight added to my body.

med

I used to be good with that too. But every year, I'm a year older. So weight has to come out of the camera bag to compensate for the weight added to my body.
Yup, I hear you. One of my goals next year is to bring significantly less kit (both camera and camping) on my trips. I think I am going to find the smallest bag that can just fit my RM3Di with the 60XL mounted so there is no temptation to take any other lenses or accessories.

tcdeveau

I’m the same way when it comes to FOMO and travel shots. I had been bringing the kitchen sink.

Last trip I went on I brought Z6/24-70 2.8/70-200 2.8/1.7 TC/50 1.2, X1D/21/35-75/90, and M10M/50mm. It was a 3 week trip within driving distance and I ended up using everything at some point, but traveling with that much gear is probably out of the question from here on out.

id bring stc and 70mm if I were to pick a body and lens though, that’s what I see myself brining in the future for one body one lens

JeffK

You didn't say when you were going but if it's over the next couple of days you might want to have a look at the forecast...apparently we have another 'bomb cyclone' coming our way.
Next week. M-F/ Starting in Parksville/Qualicum M-W then Tofina W-F. Packing ponchos and clear garbage bags to cover stuff. Tripod is systematic 5. if weather is too much, I'll just enjoy the experience. Vacation time is having coffee, reading a book and maybe get out out during low tide and make some images similar to this one from a couple of years ago at Qualicum. (shot on a little Ricoh GR, enough detail for 13x19 but going back with a MF digital back IQ260 achromatic.

edit: just checked the forecast. given the forecast, the sailing may get cancelled. Wait and see.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 5.53.34 PM.png

how I processed and printed

DD5392C9-9777-4AEC-A478-331C95E8F3E4.jpeg

Last edited:

dj may

For multi-day or multi-week trips I bring my Leica S3, a backup S body and three lenses; 24, 70 and either 120 or 180.

For me a backup camera is a must. Sometimes it is a Leica MP-240 with 15, 28 a nd/or 50 or 90, which weigh about the same as a S body. I have had failure, which necessitated a backup.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I agree - a back-up camera has saved my trip on a couple of occasions. I used to pop a Leica M in the bag with a 50mm, but now have a Sony AR3 with a 24-105. Glad to say I haven't had to use it as a back-up so far.

Hausen

I recently bought a Leica Q2 to solve my hiking/riding/travelling light trips. Fixed lens so no choice, 49mm filters plus an RRS pano head makes for a really light bag. On a recent hike I really suffered after taking to all of my Hassy gear and thought I am too old for this shit, so something had to give.

med

I recently bought a Leica Q2 to solve my hiking/riding/travelling light trips. Fixed lens so no choice, 49mm filters plus an RRS pano head makes for a really light bag. On a recent hike I really suffered after taking to all of my Hassy gear and thought I am too old for this shit, so something had to give.
I have a Q2 as well and it is *almost* my single camera for hiking/paddling, but I can just never quite bring myself to bringing just it. It is definitely my "if I could only have just one" camera/lens pick.

Hausen

I have a Q2 as well and it is *almost* my single camera for hiking/paddling, but I can just never quite bring myself to bringing just it. It is definitely my "if I could only have just one" camera/lens pick.
I know how you feel especially when you get somewhere and say I wish I had a tele or ultra wide, but I feel I have less than 20 good summers left and I don't want spend them humping gear that I will likely not use. What did it for me was the amount of times on was on a beach/mountain/lake/river and was reluctant to change lens on my 907x/X1D because I didn't want dust, so made do with what I had loaded. A blinding flash of the obvious "WTF am I carrying this shit for then" And I love the Q2.

Reactions: med

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
CL for quick and casual work, travel.
M10M for travel and art.
I almost loved the CL. The 11-23 was perfect - best wide zoom I've ever seen for APSC. The 35/1.4 an almost perfect replica of the 50 cron on the M. But without stabilization at the long end, I couldn't focus the damned thing beyond 50mm. And no, the 90-280 doesn't count. :)

Reactions: med

jeffreybehr

How do you deal with choice when packing for a trip. I'd like to stick with one camera system and frame ie: STC or MAX. And only bring one lens. 47 or 70. FOMO is such a huge part of packing a bag. How do others process the decisions to get the bag and choice down to a minimum?
Pray tell, what's 'FOMO'?

spb

Staff member
That is a lovely way to put it!