The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The XCD 90V isn't just Hasselblad's finest lens – it could be the finest lens we've ever tested

Paul2660

Glad they were able to find one to test. Probably one the least available lenses in the world.

Hope this situation improves near term.

Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If it beats the XCD 90/3.2, it is sharp, indeed! I also note that testing sites that talk about "sharpest ever" lenses seldom test tech camera lenses. :unsure:

Not to be an Eeyore, but with these expectations, I hope sample variations don't cause the "keep returning them until you get a great copy" problem. I experienced no sample variation with the original XCD series, but it was a problem (for me, anyway) with the 28P. I haven't heard anything about the new V series QC, and I sincerely hope it is excellent.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Glad they were able to find one to test.
Glad to have heard that you were able to purchase a used XCD 90V with warranty from Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration.

Probably one the least available lenses in the world.
Some things in life are worth waiting for. We just have to decide what those things are for ourselves as individuals.

Hope this situation improves near term.
It might, but I wouldn't count on ready availability anytime soon.

Last edited:

TechTalk

If it beats the XCD 90/3.2, it is sharp, indeed! I also note that testing sites that talk about "sharpest ever" lenses seldom test tech camera lenses. :unsure:
Since there's a limit on how many different lenses anyone can test, honesty requires caveats like those used by Digital Camera World — such as: "The sharpest lens we've ever lab tested".

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Since there's a limit on how many different lenses anyone can test, honesty requires caveats like those used by Digital Camera World — such as: "The sharpest lens we've ever lab tested".
I'm not faulting them - they are, as you said, honest about it. So is Lensrentals. That jab was aimed at DxO.

Alkibiades

anyway it seems to be a very impressive lens. After using Fuji GFX lenses i could not imagine sharper lenses in this range.

TechTalk

I can always imagine having sharper lenses. I'm grateful to many different lens manufacturers who continually reward my imagination by producing ever sharper lenses!

There's a veritable feast of great new lenses available to us these days, though I still enjoy using lenses I liked which are several years (or decades) old.

B L

I can always imagine having sharper lenses. I'm grateful to many different lens manufacturers who continually reward my imagination by producing ever sharper lenses!

There's a veritable feast of great new lenses available to us these days, though I still enjoy using lenses I liked which are several years (or decades) old.
Its good to have sharper lenses,however, some people say "sharpness is not everything", I would say that a sharp image can be made to look sooth but not viceversa. Agree?

TechTalk

Its good to have sharper lenses,however, some people say "sharpness is not everything", I would say that a sharp image can be made to look sooth but not viceversa. Agree?
Having a lens which renders the image in a way which suits your creative intent is ultimately what really matters. It's refreshing to hang out with professionals in the cinematography world to absorb some additional perspectives on the creative use of lenses and their characteristics.

Reactions: B L

TechTalk

Sadly, the 90mm is still on “pre-order”, and is not available, more than a year after release. Any word on what is going on?
The first release of XCD 90V lenses for shipment, of which I'm aware, was in late November last year, but demand still exceeds supply. If you're looking for one, I would order it soon then summon your patience while you wait.

Last edited:

Doppler9000

The first release of XCD 90V lenses for shipment, of which I'm aware, was in late November last year, but demand still exceeds supply. If you're looking for one, I would order it soon then summon your patience while you wait.
You are probably right re. release date - the lens was announced then the release was delayed.

I wonder why is production so slow?

It does seem to be a wonderful lens.

Last edited:

Doppler9000

Another is that their supplier is constrained, or that some element of the lens is hard to get, though the latter seems less likely.

Either way, the shortage must be slowing Hasselblad camera sales to some extent.

Godfrey

I'm only very rarely in a hurry, although often impatient. Hasselblad dealers and Hasselblad USA have, so far, always delivered whatever I've ordered in a reasonably timely manner. I think the longest wait I've had was for the 907x/CFVII 50c "50 Years on the Moon" camera itself, which was six months (I ordered it the day it was announced).

I have no regrets about waiting for it. :)

I bought a used XCD 90mm and found it was superb, just like the new XCD 45P and XCD 21/4, and used XCD 65. I just didn't use it enough and decided to sell it. If the XCD 90V is actually that much better, I'm delighted and might consider one again, but I'm more interested right now in the XCD 28P ... Almost went for one when they came in stock at B&H the other day, but I have a few things to pay for first that take priority. (Yes, I've been dumping money into my 1967 Lancia Fulvia Coupé again... LOL!)

Such it is.
G

Lancia Fulvia Coupé - Rear 3/4 view with new Abarth exhaust
Click for short video and exhaust sound.

Doppler9000

I'm only very rarely in a hurry, although often impatient. Hasselblad dealers and Hasselblad USA have, so far, always delivered whatever I've ordered in a reasonably timely manner. I think the longest wait I've had was for the 907x/CFVII 50c "50 Years on the Moon" camera itself, which was six months (I ordered it the day it was announced).

I have no regrets about waiting for it. :)

I bought a used XCD 90mm and found it was superb, just like the new XCD 45P and XCD 21/4, and used XCD 65. I just didn't use it enough and decided to sell it. If the XCD 90V is actually that much better, I'm delighted and might consider one again, but I'm more interested right now in the XCD 28P ... Almost went for one when they came in stock at B&H the other day, but I have a few things to pay for first that take priority. (Yes, I've been dumping money into my 1967 Lancia Fulvia Coupé again... LOL!)

Such it is.
G

Lancia Fulvia Coupé - Rear 3/4 view with new Abarth exhaust
Click for short video and exhaust sound.
Such a pretty car…. Seems like remarkably good visibility, as well/

Godfrey

The Fulvia Coupé is a delight! Light, simple, elegant engineering, super responsive, lovely styling, quick enough for anything you might want...
Driving it today, it's hard to believe it is a 57 year old car!

I first saw one in 1966 ... parked in the driveway of a house on the way to the toy shop with my dad. I remember seeing it and saying, "Forget the toy shop! I want that!" It took me until 2021 to buy one, and I am delighted to report that my initial response as a 12 year old boy was right on the mark! ;):cool:

tenmangu81

Not to be an Eeyore, but with these expectations, I hope sample variations don't cause the "keep returning them until you get a great copy" problem. I experienced no sample variation with the original XCD series, but it was a problem (for me, anyway) with the 28P. I haven't heard anything about the new V series QC, and I sincerely hope it is excellent.
Agree. Some people, here and there, were disappointed with the new V series, namely the 38V and the 55V, in such a way that they decided to return them. This is not what I experienced with my 55V, which is very, very good, even at the edges. But then, QC must be questioned, and this is not normal for lenses of this price.

Godfrey

Not to disparage anyone else's personal experience: I recall when I was at the NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory in the middle 1980s. I was on a flight project doing research into imaging radar systems ... We used 35mm and 6x6 cameras (with film) to validate ground truth. Technology of the times ... :) Anyway, I needed a pair of Nikkor 105mm lenses for the project. I called our contact at Nikon. He sent a dozen lenses with the note: "Check them in your rig, pick the best two, return the rest."

Even the poorest of the dozen were pretty good performers. Three were clearly far better than the others. I set the two best aside for the project, and paid to keep the third of that set for myself.

Variation exists in even the most tightly controlled production of precision optical/mechanical units, consumer production typically quadruples that. So far with Hasselblad equipment, I've seen better than average variance control on everything I've bought from them so far. I have seen a couple of issues, but I've seen similar issues with Olympus, Nikon, and Leica equipment as well.

No manufactured product has zero defects over the course of a production run.

G

Reactions: B L