The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trouble with PhaseOne?

spassig

Always good to talk to a dealer/rep to get more info!

… and of course a much newer and linux based system in the IQ4. …
Do you know if the operation of the IQ4 is significantly different from the IQ3.
I think the IQ4 have the same batteries as the IQ3. I have 6 batteries.

buildbot

Do you know if the operation of the IQ4 is significantly different from the IQ3.
I think the IQ4 have the same batteries as the IQ3. I have 6 batteries.
Not sure to be honest, I only have any IQ3, and I never heard back from capture integration on a quote to upgrade...
The UI seems very similar to my eyes, and the general workflow should be the same. The software and hardware is radically different of course.

The batteries are compatible, that I know for sure :) They have used Canon BP911/914/915 batteries since the P series.

tcdeveau

Please not another doom and gloom thread about P1 right after the XC thread :LOL:

My opinion is that if manufacturer longevity is a concern, don't do it, keep the $$ in the bank, and just enjoy the gear you have. None of us have a crystal ball and life is too short to stress about these types of "what ifs". When I bought my IQ4, I did so with the outlook of "this may be a very expensive paperweight some day, but I'm ok with that."

Unless you have an immediate need for features your current setup doesn't offer, I'd at least wait and see if HB comes out with a CFVIII 100C....or P1 an IQ5. HB is no better at communicating than P1 though and who knows what is going on behind closed doors there.

Even then, if you're considering P1, I'd probably go used IQ3 or IQ4 (from a private party or a dealer) and sell the IQ350 outright instead of upgrading. My gut tells me your dollar may go further but of course talk it out with your representative/dealer and what not and see what works best for you since money is not the only variable of the equation.

Ray Harrison

As buildbot says, there are a number of great features in the IQ4 series (150, 150A, 100TC) and also nice hardware changes like dual modern cards (CFExpress, SD), ethernet, better HDMI, USB-C and so forth. It does chew through batteries as others have noted and is unfortunate in some ways it uses the older batteries (though convenient in other ways, obviously).

I’m not too worried about Phase as the moment and wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a modern back from them. I have both an IQ3A and IQ4150 and love them both.

buildbot

As buildbot says, there are a number of great features in the IQ4 series (150, 150A, 100TC) and also nice hardware changes like dual modern cards (CFExpress, SD), ethernet, better HDMI, USB-C and so forth. It does chew through batteries as others have noted and is unfortunate in some ways it uses the older batteries (though convenient in other ways, obviously).

I’m not too worried about Phase as the moment and wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a modern back from them. I have both an IQ3A and IQ4150 and love them both.
Also, I cannot emphasize enough how great Phase support is. They really take care of you.

drevil

Staff member
I will not give detailed explanation here.
But I see IQ4 100 MP on the website.

Jochen
without any explanation i dont see the point in this thread, how can we respond to knowledge that you keep to yourself.

and true, i thought the IQ4 series was limit to the 150mp sensors

buildbot

and true, i thought the IQ4 series was limit to the 150mp sensors
I think they've offered the 100MP sensors in an IQ4 body from the start? The sibling platform in the form of the iXM also supports the smaller 44x33mm 100MP and 50MP sensors, as well as the 120MP global shutter + 150MP sensors. I think but don't know that they all use the same Sony SLVS-EC interface, so once you have the camera backend, the sensors are probably easy to adapt.

lookbook

true but i never realized, i only heard from the 150
... a new license plate for the classic car -
or was the advertising for the "new back" forgotten because of all the excitement about the new camera?
: )

Last edited:

Ray Harrison

They've offered the IQ4100 trichromatic from the get-go, or close to it. I was going to buy the IQ3100 TC and went round-n-round in my very small brain on the IQ4100 TC, but ultimately went for the IQ4150...

Paul2660

The IQ4 Trichromatic, as I understand it, only has the features of the IQ3, net none of the newer IQ150 features, interface etc. (frame averaging, dual exposure). I don't know if the features from the XF like focus stacking work or not as that is more dependent on the XF camera. If I have this wrong, then I apologize in advance. The IQ4 has a much better relationship with tech camera lenses, both the older Schneiders and current Rodenstocks, where you may not need a LCC after every shot (due to the micro lenses on the sensor) and the IQ4 doesn't need a mandatory dark frame after each shot. (You have the ability to do one if you want but P1 has a built in dark frame for the IQ4 that works for me 99% of the time)

Net, to me the Trichromatic is a one off, and it's science is based on true color with a different filter array over the sensor.

For me, costing etc, and with modern software the IQ4 offers more. And based on P1's history, don't expect any backwards firmware updates to a IQ3 or any 100MP sensor.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

Keep in mind that the IQ4 100 purchased new (no trade in or upgrade) is significantly less than the IQ4 150 ($14,500 less, to be exact). However, if you are upgrading, the net price of the IQ4 100 is the same as the net price price of the IQ4 150. **

I've never understood this (but it is Phase One, so not understanding comes with the territory sometimes), unless they simply aren't that interested in selling IQ4 100 units. Because the vast majority of our orders are upgrades. As a result, we've sold very few IQ4 100 Trichromatic models, compared to IQ4 150 models.

** At least in the USA

Steve Hendrix/CI

buildbot

I'm confused, what was the point of this thread?
Drama? IDK Really.

The original poster never clarified what they were told, and otherwise we have all tried to reassure them that Phase is not exploding tomorrow.

The new space cam is awesome for example! Though the company they quote from is maybe literally a spy satellite company:
1689368709533.png
1689368779222.png
So they have contracts with defense companies, which are probably $$$$$$$$. Which means us lowly earthbound photographers will probably get more, just slowly and over time as people have been seeing.