The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Phase One Blue Ring Lenses On XT And Cambo Tech Cameras

Bianca Ranciato

Super Moderator
Staff member
A repost of this extremely helpful Capture Integration article by Chris Snipes for anyone wanting to use Phase One Blue Ring lenses on XT and Cambo Tech Cameras!

--------------------------------------

Using Blue Ring Lenses with Technical Cameras

Cambo offers a WRS-M645 Lens Adapter that allows you to use Phase One Blue Ring lenses, Phase One LS lenses, and Mamiya 645 lenses on your XT and Cambo Technical bodies. This adapter requires either a Phase One IQ4 150 or IQ3 100 digital camera back that has Electronic Shutter control since you are not using the shutter on the lenses.

This WRS-645 lens adapter does not have any control over the aperture, so it must be set by a Phase One XF or DF/DF+ body. You will want to mount the lens on the camera body, set the aperture to the desired F stop. Then stop the lens down with the depth of field preview button and turn off the body and remove the battery. This will set the F stop to your desired setting. It mounts to the WRS-M645 just like any Phase One or Mamiya lens does.

I think it fills a gap to use a variety of very sharp lenses at a lower price point with movements. Check out some of the Phase One Blue Ring lenses we have in Certified Pre Owned:

Schneider Kreuznach 35mm LS Blue Ring f/3.5 AF Lens – Pre-Owned
Schneider Kreuznach 80mm Blue Ring LS f/2.8 AF Lens – Pre-Owned
Schneider Kreuznach 150mm LS Blue Ring f/3.5 AF Lens – Pre-Owned
Schneider Kreuznach 240mm LS Blue Ring f/4.5 AF – Pre-Owned

And don’t forget the adapter so you can use these lenses on your Phase One XT or Cambo Technical Camera!

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 9.57.30 AM.png

Cambo WRS-M645 Lensplate with Mamiya 645 Bayonet Mount

Below you will see my setup & test shots from using this adapter with a variety of Blue Ring lenses mounted on my Phase One XT

Phase One 32mm Rodenstock XT lens

Phase One Schneider 35mm Blue Ring

Phase One Schneider 55mm Blue Ring

Phase One Schneider 80mm Blue Ring

Phase One Schneider 150mm Blue Ring

Phase One Schneider 240mm Blue Ring

Phase One Schneider 35mm Blue Ring mounted to XT Body

By Chris Snipes
Thanks for the read! If you have any questions, or interest in Phase One, feel free to reach out.
Chris Snipes
813.335.2473 | [email protected]

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've been using XF BR lenses on my XT for some time - mostly the 150 mm f3.5. I haven't tried the 120 macro but I will over the weekend. My only concern is the weight of the macro. -the 150 is relatively light.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I tested the Macro and it's fine, even when fully extended for 1:1 shots. You'll have excuse me using a small format camera to take the pix!
And there's a shot taken with the combo - no DOF as I was shooting at max aperture!

P0003312.jpgL1000541.jpgL1000540.jpg

Greg Haag

Thank you Bill! What are your thoughts on all that weight on the adapter and the XT? BTW, I love the Leica!

Mexecutioner

The 120 weighs 835gr, the 240 1600gr. So I am guessing using the macro is pretty safe.

All of the XT lenses, with the exception fo the 70mm weigh more than the 120 BR. The adapter doesnt stick out that much, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The 120 weighs 835gr, the 240 1600gr. So I am guessing using the macro is pretty safe.

All of the XT lenses, with the exception fo the 70mm weigh more than the 120 BR. The adapter doesnt stick out that much, I wouldn't worry about it.
I agree - the whole rig felt fine though not hand-holdable!. I don't think I'll use the macro the XT when the XF has focus stacking.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thank you Bill! What are your thoughts on all that weight on the adapter and the XT? BTW, I love the Leica!
Yeah, the Leica M11 is great for walking around/hiking but it does not have the DR of the IQ4 - it's quite noticeable when you're used to the XF. Very sharp though.

jng

Perhaps the 120 BR would be fine, although some of the other BR lenses like the 150 and 240 have a lot more mass hanging out on a longer fulcrum than the Rodie X-shutter lenses. Based on my experience with adapted telephoto Hasselblad legacy V lenses, I'd be a bit concerned about the the larger BR lenses sagging in the adapter mount (they are beasts).

John

jng

Unfortunately, deal breaker for me. Assume, same story with Canon TS lenses (if adapter would be available).
I typically shoot wide open when focus-stacking macro images, but I agree that the inability to control aperture very much limits the utility of adapting the BR lenses.

John

Digitalcameraman

So Bianca would this allow the use of the 120mm for manual macro on the IQ4?
Greg,

Yes you can use all BR or LS lenses. And any lens with a Mamiya mount basically. I did not have the 120mm that day but glad some other members tested it for you. I have also tested the 40-80 BR and it works well too, just do not if that bigger lens with extra weight has any impact over.a period of time. I would not think much different than the same lens on an XF body.

Greg Haag

Greg,

Yes you can use all BR or LS lenses. And any lens with a Mamiya mount basically. I did not have the 120mm that day but glad some other members tested it for you. I have also tested the 40-80 BR and it works well too, just do not if that bigger lens with extra weight has any impact over.a period of time. I would not think much different than the same lens on an XF body.
Thanks Chris!

Greg Haag

I typically shoot wide open when focus-stacking macro images, but I agree that the inability to control aperture very much limits the utility of adapting the BR lenses.

John
John, I think I must be a one-trick pony, I virtually never change the aperture on my Cambo setup. Although in certain instances I am still concerned with the weight, I like the possibilities this adapter offers in filling some gaps for me.

Reactions: jng

Greg Haag

Anyone got any insight/results as per the lens performances when shifted?
I just got my adapter in and it seems on most of my lenses that around 10mm shift is where I am starting to see noticeable to hard vignetting. I have done nothing on these files either in sharpening, processing or vignette correction. All at 10mm L and 10mm R at f8 (except 120mm and it is at f4)

This is an example with my 55mm LS w 10mm Left and 10mm Right. On this lens, I think it is correctable to about 13mm shift.
Cambo Adapter Test 55mm 10L 10R.jpg

This is an example with my 150mm LS w 10mm Left and 10mm Right.
Cambo Adapter Test 150mm 10L 10R.jpg

This is an example with my 80mm LS w 10mm Left and 10mm Right.
Cambo Adapter Test 80mm 10L 10R.jpg

This is an example with my 35mm LS w 10mm Left and 10mm Right. Very little shift available on this lens.
Cambo Adapter Test 35mm 10L 10R.jpg

This is an example with my 120mm LS w 10mm Left and 10mm Right.
Cambo Adapter Test 120mm 10L 10R.jpg

Last edited:

cunim

Greg, can we get a look at the raw from the 120? I was asking my dealer about using that lens with my RM3di. He said an adapter is available, but the lenses have zero usable image circle beyond the IQ4 sensor. I guess "usable" is a matter of personal taste. For example, I dislike shifting much more than about 12 mm with any of the older Rodies (eg my 40HR) though, of course, they will go further. So what I want to get a feel for is how the 10 mm shift quality compares between the 120 LS and the 120 apo sironar. The 120 apo has all sorts of aberrations when you get to the edges but, at 10 mm, an edge/center comparison is pretty good.

It seems that outer circle consistency may be one of the advances on the float Rodenstocks. From images I have seen (thanks @Dave Chew) they stay clean - even to the edge of the specified circle. Not used to that with the older lenses.