The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D: Where are we at?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I can update everyone that I’ve been in contact with the appropriate people and that Hassy has supplied lens correction data to Adobe, which should be included in an update soon.... yay!

KeithL

Could some kind soul give me an update on the X1D. Does it now have DOF info and comprehensive auto ISO options?

TIA

tashley

Subscriber Member
Could some kind soul give me an update on the X1D. Does it now have DOF info and comprehensive auto ISO options?

TIA
Sadly, no and no... though I’m not sure what real use the DOF info would be since it is relative to output and therefore more or less a matter of opinion...

KeithL

Sadly, no and no... though I’m not sure what real use the DOF info would be since it is relative to output and therefore more or less a matter of opinion...
I mourn the loss of comprehensive DOF scales on lenses which is one of the reasons I use the Leica M system.

DOF info is an immediate visual reference that I miss when it's missing ;-)

hcubell

I mourn the loss of comprehensive DOF scales on lenses which is one of the reasons I use the Leica M system.

DOF scales are "nice", but the extraordinary resolution achieved with the 50MP Sony sensor, to say nothing of the forthcoming 100MP sensor, makes the DOF scales on lens barrels pretty useless for me now. I tend to shoot static subjects and resort more and more frequently to focus bracketing. Even if I wind up using only one of the frames, I have a choice as to which of the frames gives me the best information in the areas that are most important.

tashley

Subscriber Member

I’m afraid I regard them as worse than useless. They tend to induce a false sense of scientific shooting method.

I think these days with very high resolution sensors, print sizes that can vary wildly and different aesthetic approaches to sharpening and overall acceptability of noise and grain, plus the variable of subject distance, I much prefer to get to know a particular lens on a particular camera. There are a number of apps that help to establish true hyperfocal distance for given intended print sizes and viewing distances and I do sometimes use those.

I should bracket focus, sometimes do, but when I find myself doing it I regard it as an admission that I don’t know my equipment well enough, or haven’t got a clear intent for the frame.

KeithL

I’m afraid I regard them as worse than useless. They tend to induce a false sense of scientific shooting method.

I think these days with very high resolution sensors, print sizes that can vary wildly and different aesthetic approaches to sharpening and overall acceptability of noise and grain, plus the variable of subject distance, I much prefer to get to know a particular lens on a particular camera. There are a number of apps that help to establish true hyperfocal distance for given intended print sizes and viewing distances and I do sometimes use those.

I should bracket focus, sometimes do, but when I find myself doing it I regard it as an admission that I don’t know my equipment well enough, or haven’t got a clear intent for the frame.
I read this and realise we are completely different beings.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in scientific shooting methods, aesthetic approaches to sharpening, apps, true hyperfocal distances and bracket focussing: hell I don't know what half of them are ;)

EDIT: I should perhaps add that a cursory glance at the lens allows me to pre-focus, set aperture and approximate the DOF. It's all that I need from DOF scales and all that I want. Particularly good for those occasions when raising a camera to the eye would offend.

Last edited:

D&A

Happy Thanksgiving!! The XCD 120mm Macro is in stock, my credit card has been charged, and my order (since April 3) has been sent to the B&H warehouse. Woohoo!!

That, my friends, is a Thanksgiving miracle. :clap:

Joe
I guess its a matter of ones' perspective. In days of yore, the fattened Thanksgiving Day Turkey who was spared being the centerpiece at the holiday dinner table, also exclaimed "That, my friends, is a Thanksgiving miracle". :)

Congrats Joe on the lens acquisition and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

hcubell

Happy Thanksgiving!! The XCD 120mm Macro is in stock, my credit card has been charged, and my order (since April 3) has been sent to the B&H warehouse. Woohoo!!

Joe
Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I checked B&H and they now report my order for the XCD 120mm Macro has also been sent to the warehouse. I should see it on Monday!

For those procrastinating about this or any other lens, please work your way through the following flowchart!!!!

23621535_1971873449746613_2248754934873869608_n.jpg

EDIT: Please note for the sake of full disclosure that I did not create the flowchart. I found it on the internet, but I have no idea who actually created it.

Last edited:

jduncan

Joe
It this for real? are you sure they did not confuse Nov 23 with April 1?
I long to see some photos and your read your impressions.

Congratulations.

tcdeveau

Congrats Joe and Howard! Looking forward to hearing your impressions and seeing your images as well

Great flowchart too!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just to jump this thread out of the grave, has anyone else noted the irritating fact that one can't set the card slots so that JPEG is recorded to one card and raw to the other? I'd like to do this when travelling so that I can look at smaller JPEG files on my iPad and keep the raw files on the other card for when I get back to base.

Also, you can't have slot 2 act as a backup slot, writing identical files to both cards at the same time in case of one card failing. At the moment, you can set your secondary slot only to Overflow or to do nothing. So really, it's just a card carrying case as far as I can see.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just checked my settings on the 4116 ... indeed storage is overflow or none. I have had a couple of times where the SD1 slot card was in use ... then the camera did not recognize it while still shooting but luckily it started saving the
images to the SD2 slot card.

When I am out ... I import all of my RAWs into an iPad Pro with the camera connection kit and a SD Card reader. Can look at them with LR Mobile or whatever it is called today. This allows at least a modicum of protection in case the
card is lost or later unreadable.

As I only shoot RAW I would prefer dual card backup ... if the camera can handle the memory transfer ... might make for a slow write ... which I am fine with if it affords some protection.

My camera is balking at recognizing cards after I have offloaded the images prior to reformat ... about 40% of the time I have to shutdown, reinsert the card and power on again.

Bob

docmoore

Thought I would mention that the present version of Phocus Mobile is very stable ... just do not turn off the camera or the iPad/iPhone will need to reacquire the WiFi signal.

One desire of mine is to allow the self-timer to work with PM. If you set self-time active ... it only works if you use the shutter button on camera ... if you use PM to trigger
an exposure there is no delay. So any picture you wish to be in will show your finger on the device unless to compose to have it off composition.

Bob

docmoore

Last item ... using a Pocket Wizard ... Nikon ... to trigger my Profoto Acute B 600R I have to use a Wein Safe-sync between the hotshoe and the PW to
trigger a flash wirelessly. A Canon off camera sync cord also allows the PW to fire ... but if I place it directly on the hotshoe no joy.

But I can sync to 1/2000 with the native lenses ... however non native lenses using e shutter will not fire ... I guess that is a known limitation of
the e shutter.

Bob

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just checked my settings on the 4116 ... indeed storage is overflow or none. I have had a couple of times where the SD1 slot card was in use ... then the camera did not recognize it while still shooting but luckily it started saving the
images to the SD2 slot card.

When I am out ... I import all of my RAWs into an iPad Pro with the camera connection kit and a SD Card reader. Can look at them with LR Mobile or whatever it is called today. This allows at least a modicum of protection in case the
card is lost or later unreadable.

As I only shoot RAW I would prefer dual card backup ... if the camera can handle the memory transfer ... might make for a slow write ... which I am fine with if it affords some protection.

My camera is balking at recognizing cards after I have offloaded the images prior to reformat ... about 40% of the time I have to shutdown, reinsert the card and power on again.

Bob
Bob I do the same with the iPad and actually it's quite good speed wise even with RAW files, provided you use a current generation iPad Pro. However, the files are not available to LR (which allows you to work on them very nicely) until Photos has finished processing them which with a dump of twenty or so images, can take quite some time - and during that time there is a sense of ambiguity as to what is going on and to whether the process has worked or not. The ability to shoot JPEGs to one card would mean one could then import just the JPEGS (not an option when both sorts of files are on the same card) and work with them more quickly and easily.

docmoore

Tim,

That makes sense ... however I wonder what would happen if my camera stops recognizing the SD1 slot ... would it revert to raw on the SD2 or just keep writing JPGs without notification of the glitch. Unless you look
at the main menu screen you would have to look very closely at the small icons to see that the SD1 has dropped out.

My last trip out with the iPad Pro was with the Leica Q so everything was fast enough after import ... I imagine that the X1D files would slow it significantly.

Bob

tcdeveau

I'd love to get mirroring between the SD1 and SD2 slots, even if it increased the write time a little.

I still would also love to see a live histogram....and a wired shutter release. I thought they were working on one, but I saw in a FAQ section on the HB Bron USA website where they had no plans for one, but anticipated 3rd parties to step in and make a usb-c remote.

cly

Just to jump this thread out of the grave [...]
Perhaps its a bit selfish to ask for it but it would be really great if you could write a quick summary of what you are thinking about the X1D today, now that you have used it for a much longer period.

Chris