The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z7 in camera aspect ratio/crop?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Since Nikon release their webcam utility that allows using many of their current cameras as webcams, I've been using my Z7 for remote work - with generally excellent results.

One problem however is that the video is 16:9 and gets pillboxed top and bottom to fit into the more generally expected 4:3. I can't seem to find any way to change the video aspect in the camera... it ONLY supports FX or DX. (Another problem is that it connects to the computer/hub with the USB-C port, but my work MacBook Pro or the powered external hub can't provide enough power for it, so it has to run off batteries. The AC adapter uses the USB-C port, and only one can be connected at any one time.) I can set up OBS with its virtual camera plugin (for export) - and this has some benefits since I can pip myself in a corner with my desktop as the main source on a scene, and switch between scenes, but each time the camera is shut off, for example to swap batteries, I have to remove the Nikon webcam utility from the sources and add it back in for it to reappear. And even then the virtual camera sometimes locks up and I have to restart it as well. Pretty flakey all around and not really something I can rely on for work. Of course with OBS it can be cropped, resized, stretched, color balanced, filtered, etc to whatever I wish. Any thoughts on how to make this setup more usable? The image quality is infinitely better than my Logitech 920C, with a better suited focal length (the 920C is too wide IMO, and noisy AF).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IDK about video aspect ratios since I don't shoot video, but in still mode, I can do FX or DX @ 2:3, and then choose 1:1, 4:5 or 16:9.