The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z9

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It´s much cheaper to attach an additional small LCD screen than to assemble the high precission mirror thing
By all means, yes, so a DSLR should be a bit more expensive (although they aren't always), but the electronics are mostly the same. There aren't much extra development costs putting the same electronics into two different bodies. As for the mirror and shutter mechanism, it's not like they have to invent it for each camera. Nikon has made them for more than 60 years.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To those who feel the optical TTL VF is superior to EVF:
IMHO, EVF's have come a long way. Significantly better now than the first gen Sony A7 release that won so many over to ML. Actually so good in the Z cameras, I no longer even notice it's not direct optical TTL. Obviously I understand their technical differences, but honestly don't see much benefit any more to the mirror<>TTL finder as compared to *current state of the art* EVF's -- and let's face it, they will only get better... To my mind, I there are several technical and usability benefits of EVF and at the sensor AF that are not available on a mirror<>TTL based camera. Moreover, I feel a photog that has set their DSLR to mirror up and framing via the rear LCD has just limited themselves to half a ML camera. What am I missing? Finally, if we talk freedom of lens design advantages, then ML leaves DSLR in the dust, and especially so for Nikon's old F compared to new Z design...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To those who feel the optical TTL VF is superior to EVF:
IMHO, EVF's have come a long way. Significantly better now than the first gen Sony A7 release that won so many over to ML. Actually so good in the Z cameras, I no longer even notice it's not direct optical TTL. Obviously I understand their technical differences, but honestly don't see much benefit any more to the mirror<>TTL finder as compared to *current state of the art* EVF's -- and let's face it, they will only get better... To my mind, I there are several technical and usability benefits of EVF and at the sensor AF that are not available on a mirror<>TTL based camera. Moreover, I feel a photog that has set their DSLR to mirror up and framing via the rear LCD has just limited themselves to half a ML camera. What am I missing? Finally, if we talk freedom of lens design advantages, then ML leaves DSLR in the dust, and especially so for Nikon's old F compared to new Z design...
But of course, Jack. The best mirrorless cameras are already better than the corresponding DSLR cameras, objectively speaking. Just like a Casio is better than a Rolex and a Lexus better than a Ferrari.

A friend of mine who photograph starry skies showed me a camera he considered buying because it was better than his Canon R with state-of-the-art lenses (Canon 28-70mm f/2 and Sigma 14mm f/1.8) for what he's doing:

So I asked him "What will you do while the camera is taking photos? Can you send a driver with the camera to your selected location so that you can stay at home enjoying a glass of wine instead of getting lost in the wilderness?". He changed his mind.

Within many areas (medicine, transportation etc.) I enjoy the huge progress technology has made. Even with cameras the first 10 years of digital, progress was important. But around the time of the D810 for DSLR and the GH5 for mirrorless, I started to get a feeling that enough is enough. I want cameras that encourage me to develop my skills, not cameras that compensate for my lack of skills.

I'm a minority of course. Most people will buy what makes their job easier. However, it's interesting that one of the sports that are really increasing in popularity, golf, is a sport where one has very little help from technology. If you're bad at it, it doesn't help you much to buy the latest, greatest club. Missing the shot with that club is just as easy and just as frustrating as missing it with with your old, beaten up beginner clubs.

Camera development will undoubtedly continue, and soon we will be able to take that much sought after photo of a black cat in a coal mine. But the fact that I can doesn't mean that I have to. Just as I like the mechanics of a traditional watch, I like the mechanics of a traditional camera. And when it comes to the quality of my images, it doesn't matter one bit if it says click-clack or not. But I do prefer looking through a piece of glass rather than at a piece of electronic circuitry. It's a personal preference of course. Hopefully there are others that think the same. And if there aren't, I should consider stocking up on D810 bodies...

doug

This proposed Z9 doesn't interest me, it's much too big. I'm currently using Sony mirrorless with serious lust for the PF lenses. My fantasy camera would be a1 size & performance with the 300mm and 500mm PF. As I see it the whole point of this announcement was to slow the bleeding of user base to Canon and Sony. It seems to be working.

Does anyone here recall Leica's announcement of R10 development? I've learned not to make major purchases based on rumors, announcements or roadmaps. Ship some product to dealers and we'll talk.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This proposed Z9 doesn't interest me, it's much too big. I'm currently using Sony mirrorless with serious lust for the PF lenses. My fantasy camera would be a1 size & performance with the 300mm and 500mm PF. As I see it the whole point of this announcement was to slow the bleeding of user base to Canon and Sony. It seems to be working.

Does anyone here recall Leica's announcement of R10 development? I've learned not to make major purchases based on rumors, announcements or roadmaps. Ship some product to dealers and we'll talk.
I'm sure there will be a Z8, same top half form factor as the Z9, but without the grip, possibly a bit slower, with the same or a different sensor. Time will show.

foveon

But I do prefer looking through a piece of glass rather than at a piece of electronic circuitry. It's a personal preference of course. Hopefully there are others that think the same. And if there aren't, I should consider stocking up on D810 bodies...
same here, prices for used D810`s are a shame nowadays

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's the first of 4 teasers. I notice a few changes from earlier full-size Nikon bodies:

- They have moved the playback button to the right side of the body. That's a big plus, since one can review images in the viewfinder without moving the left hand which would in many cases be holding the lens. It also allows easier one-hand operation for people with big muscles.
- The card hatch has a new opening mechanism, but there seems to be a physical switch on the hatch itself, preventing accidental opening.
- The ring around the viewfinder has changed. Hopefully, it's a screw-on type, so that it's possible to have different diopter lenses and other accessories attached.
- Screen is two-way tilt, so low angle shots in portrait format will be easier.

It's a beautiful camera. Hopefully, it will also be a very capable one. If my photography/video business continues to develop positively, this is a strong candidate for my main camera... if I can afford it. If not, a D810 or D850 will do the job, while continuing to use Panasonic MFT for video. The alternative would be Panasonic full frame, but... Nikon.

tcdeveau

Was really hoping for an announcement instead of the first of four teasers but what can you do.

Looking forward to the announcement, whenever that is, and seeing what the camera is capable of...

Curious if the 85mm 1.2S will also be announced around the same time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am very interested in the camera and its capabilities, however am not going to be an early adopter. I will likely be more motivated by a "less pro but even higher resolution" Z8 at a 25% lower pricepoint...

tcdeveau

I am very interested in the camera and its capabilities, however am not going to be an early adopter.
Yeah I’m there with you. I’m going to give it 2-3 years until it’s gone through some FW updates and I can pick one up on the used market.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am very interested in the camera and its capabilities, however am not going to be an early adopter. I will likely be more motivated by a "less pro but even higher resolution" Z8 at a 25% lower pricepoint...
Same for me, I am currently more than happy with my Z7II and the coming (expected) FW updates.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm planning to preorder it, assuming it's > 40MP. Not so interested in a 20MP body. But if it does 8K video it has to have at least 34MP.
My guess is that it will have a sensor built on the one in the Sony A1, or one very similar to it. Would Sony sell its most advanced sensor to a competitor? They have no choice if they are going to stay relevant as a supplier of high-end sensors.

To me it's very simple; if I can afford it I'll buy it. It's about features of course, but it's also about the fantastic build quality of Nikon's full-size bodies, the satisfaction of using a tool that feels and looks indestructible.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Many sites speculate that it should be a NON Sony sensor, a new development from Nikon manufactured by TowerJazz and it will be definitely a stacked sensor and should have assumed 45MP.

Sounds all good to me :)

Not really sure if I would get one - price as well as preference for a slightly smaller body, maybe a bit bigger than the Z7II.

I will definitely try one and then determine if the size is still acceptable for what I want to do with it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have also heard stacked sensor at 45MP. I am anxious to see how well this one performs at high ISO -- if it per chance breaks new ground here, I may become an early adopter. OTOH, if the Z8 is announced in parallel with AF improved over the ii's at around 60MP, I will become somewhat conflicted. I could potentially be an early adopter for both --- o_O