Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic S1R

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic S1R

I am a big time Leica Fan Boy and proud of it . Have used Leica s since the m2 was released NEW and have had every reflex body made by Leica . Currently use S,SL,M10,Q and wife uses CL . The question of this thread ...Is what does the new Panasonic S1R mean for a Leica user .

In two words... Higher MPs ! The ability to get 47+MP in a body similar to the Leica SL offers a phenomenal upgrade to an already excellent system . The L mount is open via well made Leica adapters to every lens made by Leica ....SL,S,M,R .

There are many new features in the S1R body ....some maybe exciting like the EVF which has even more resolution than the SL , or automatic pixel binning allowing the creation of almost 200MP files . Plenty of stuff for the video guys (not me ). But its the ability to get a new 47MP sensor that seems to be the attraction .

It seems to perfect like a prerelease of the Leica SL 2 for $3700.
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic S1R

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    I am a big time Leica Fan Boy and proud of it . Have used Leica s since the m2 was released NEW and have had every reflex body made by Leica . Currently use S,SL,M10,Q and wife uses CL . The question of this thread ...Is what does the new Panasonic S1R mean for a Leica user .

In two words... Higher MPs ! The ability to get 47+MP in a body similar to the Leica SL offers a phenomenal upgrade to an already excellent system . The L mount is open via well made Leica adapters to every lens made by Leica ....SL,S,M,R .

There are many new features in the S1R body ....some maybe exciting like the EVF which has even more resolution than the SL , or automatic pixel binning allowing the creation of almost 200MP files . Plenty of stuff for the video guys (not me ). But its the ability to get a new 47MP sensor that seems to be the attraction .

It seems to perfect like a prerelease of the Leica SL 2 for $3700.
    Will be interesting to see what price point the SL2 come in at...but this 47MP offer from Panasonic is very welcome.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger -- I agree that having this Panasonic 47mp L-mount alternative to the 24mp Leica SL, especially if it is priced at $4k or less, is great news. I still have a large collection of Leica R lenses and R cameras. I have used some of the R lenses now and then on a Sony A7(m), A7II or A7RII. I would like to try them on a SL, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $6k or more for one.

I'm really looking forward to the reviews and real world experience of anyone here on GetDPI that decides to buy a S1R.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Thanks, Gary. Itís a big beasty, look how it compares to the MF Fuji ...

Fujifilm GFX 50S vs Panasonic S1R
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exciting development for those with L mount lenses which are all designed to resolve at much higher MP than 24 in current SL camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Exciting development for those with L mount lenses which are all designed to resolve at much higher MP than 24 in current SL camera.
    Absolutely, but Iím also very curious what Leica and Sigma are brewing.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... and on other forums, they have already started hitting each other on the head with figures, and explaining why the new Panasonic cameras are DOA. Getdpi is one of very few friendly and civilised camera forums left on the internet, and one of the few where photography is as important as cameras.

So let me say then, that although I'm not planning to buy any of these (not this week anyway ), they look to me like two very competent cameras, possibly the best mirrorless full frame bodies so far.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    ... and on other forums, they have already started hitting each other on the head with figures, and explaining why the new Panasonic cameras are DOA. Getdpi is one of very few friendly and civilised camera forums left on the internet, and one of the few where photography is as important as cameras.
    Yes, GetDPI is very civilised these days, but I still remember the days that there was one vocal member here who bashed every new Sony mirrorless that came out based on specs and other forum reviews. Fortunately those times are now over

Glad the Panasonic FF is out now, haven't looked at specs and reviews yet (probably won't buy one) but I'm sure it's a nice camera and more choices and competition is good for everyone.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Yes, GetDPI is very civilised these days, but I still remember the days that there was one vocal member here who bashed every new Sony mirrorless that came out based on specs and other forum reviews. Fortunately those times are now over
    But it worked! They haven't released a new one in ages
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 1st February 2019 at 01:15.

Post Thanks / Like

First official video trailer about S1R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFgDW8HJISs
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

But it worked! They haven't released a new on in ages
    I think this proves two things as people get older:
    - They mellow
    - Their memory starts to fail

Let's play a little (senior) trivia to keep the grey cells in shape and reduce the aging effect

Q: Was the latest release of a FF Sony Mirrorless more or less than 12 month ago?
    Last edited by pegelli; 1st February 2019 at 06:14.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's unfortunate that I'm addicted to long lenses. Full frame only doesn't cut it for me. If I were rich, the E-M1X with the 150-400 and the S1R with two or three fast primes (24/50/90?) would be a fantastic combo to travel with. Unfortunately, I'm not rich, so I have to concentrate on taking photos with what I have instead. Which I do. And enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

I am quite interested in this camera as a more Leica friendly replacement for my A7Rii, which I use primarily for video. Additionally, if it can use S lenses via an adapter, that would be amazing, as I could be up and running right away, particularly for the longer lenses (120 and 180). I am still using my Leica S 006 which I have had since late 2014. I have not seen anything in the 007 to make it worth the side-grade (giving up CCD colors and acutance, longer exposure time, and a real shutter speed dial in exchange for live view and more speed...the S video sounds great in theory, but apparently cannot compete with Sony, cannot output 4k to an external recorder etc). In any case, I would be very interested in the S3, but it will presumably be over 20,000 dollars, which is unfortunately a non-starter with cameras like the GFX100 in the pipeline that offer significantly more for significantly less. Unfortunately, given the collapse in value for the S system, it is a hard pill to swallow to sell it all off and lose many thousands of dollars in lens investment, it seems wiser to get in with a camera like the S1R and an adapter...at least until the demo or QM2 S3's are under 10-15.000 dollars, which may take at least a year or two. Meanwhile, the S1R will almost certainly offer better video, alongside higher resolution than the S006 or S007, and the ability to acquire a larger diversity of lenses, most likely at a lower cost once Sigma and Panasonic start producing L mount lenses.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuji GFX 100S!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is great news for everyone, the more players there are in the mirrorless arena the more development happens and all of them have to keep innovating, simply to keep up. I've owned both Lumix and Leica in the past and while the L glass has been great, it was too expensive and more importantly, there was nothing in the long zoom/prime category. Which meant that for my style of shooting (wildlife plus landscapes) I would have to carry two systems.

I am not going to buy this but it is exciting as some of the technology could easily be adopted by Sony and other makes. Just goes to show what is possible today. The days of the big bulky DSLR are indeed numbered. I had predicted elsewhere that it will all be over in 5 yrs, it may be even sooner.

Here is yet another comparison with the Z7 and the A7riii. Interestingly, the Panny comes in significantly heavier, that in itself would be a problem for me.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pan...-in-progress/2
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

My stuff: www.pradeepbansal.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Panasonic S1R

After watching all the related videos from the most popular photography resources I'd say I'm more than impressed with the camera and it's features! S1R is so yummy!

ok, anyone need anything IT-related for enterprise (or not) made with the latest cloud, data and web tech? Just kidding... Gone working!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I am quite interested in this camera as a more Leica friendly replacement for my A7Rii, which I use primarily for video. Additionally, if it can use S lenses via an adapter, that would be amazing, as I could be up and running right away, particularly for the longer lenses (120 and 180). I am still using my Leica S 006 which I have had since late 2014. I have not seen anything in the 007 to make it worth the side-grade (giving up CCD colors and acutance, longer exposure time, and a real shutter speed dial in exchange for live view and more speed...the S video sounds great in theory, but apparently cannot compete with Sony, cannot output 4k to an external recorder etc). In any case, I would be very interested in the S3, but it will presumably be over 20,000 dollars, which is unfortunately a non-starter with cameras like the GFX100 in the pipeline that offer significantly more for significantly less. Unfortunately, given the collapse in value for the S system, it is a hard pill to swallow to sell it all off and lose many thousands of dollars in lens investment, it seems wiser to get in with a camera like the S1R and an adapter...at least until the demo or QM2 S3's are under 10-15.000 dollars, which may take at least a year or two. Meanwhile, the S1R will almost certainly offer better video, alongside higher resolution than the S006 or S007, and the ability to acquire a larger diversity of lenses, most likely at a lower cost once Sigma and Panasonic start producing L mount lenses.
    Leica makes a S to L adapter for use of S lenses on a Leica Sl . (so its L mount ) .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice cameras. And everybody would like to know how well they work with M-lenses :-).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Thanks, Gary. Itís a big beasty, look how it compares to the MF Fuji ...

Fujifilm GFX 50S vs Panasonic S1R
    They compare the weight of GFX-50S without EVF, battery and card (740g) vs S1R with EVF, battery and card (1016g).
    The more useful comparison would be GFX-S: 920g vs S1R: 1020g (EVF, battery, card, according to data on BH site).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Leica makes a S to L adapter for use of S lenses on a Leica Sl . (so its L mount ) .
    Yes, I am aware of the adapter, but there has been some question in the S community as to whether it will work for all L mount cameras, or only the ones that Leica approves. Apparently it requires firmware updates in order to work properly, and it is not clear if Panasonic and Sigma will also support it. I would like it to be the case, but I do not think it is quite so certain as it seems.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    They compare the weight of GFX-50S without EVF, battery and card (740g) vs S1R with EVF, battery and card (1016g).
    The more useful comparison would be GFX-S: 920g vs S1R: 1020g (EVF, battery, card, according to data on BH site).
    You're right. The comparison goes wrong indeed irt weight and EVF, but still it's a beefy camera. Though nothing wrong with that !
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I’m still absorbing information on these cameras but they look like my personal wishlist of the camera I’ve been wanting Sony to make (sans PDAF) for a couple of years now. I’m working on obtaining an evaluation copy of the camera once they’re available for myself but I haven’t made any final determination on whether I’d switch to these cameras or not.

I’m pretty much in “wait and see” mode still and still shooting my same kit for the last 3-5 years now. I’m at a place where I’m not invested in generation 3 or later Sony bodies and my lenses are just my “constant essentials” for now.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 1st February 2019 at 13:26.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Personally Iím still absorbing information on these cameras but hey look like my personal wishlist of the camera Iíve been wanting Sony to make (sans PDAF) for a couple of years now. Iím working on obtaining an evaluation copy of the camera once theyíre available for myself but I havenít made any final determination on whether Iíd switch to these cameras or not.

Iím pretty much in ďwait and seeĒ mode still and still shooting my same kit for the last 3-5 years now. Iím at a place where Iím not invested in generation 3 or later Sony bodies and my lenses are just my ďconstant essentialsĒ for now.
    Thanks Tre. Good to see you posting.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EVF 5760.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The S1R and the 50mm seem pretty impressive. As for the comparison to the Fuji medium format, there are more differences than simlarities (hi-res mode, native 1.4 lenses, different ergonomics, speed etc.). One is not necessarilly better than the other, but they are very different.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Too early for me to make any judgement because I will be comparing the S1R against what the Leica SL2 will be when announced - except to say that the S1R is a fantastic option now for owners of L mount Leica glass.

47 megapixels all of a sudden releases the resolving capabilities of the L glass from the constraints of 24MP sensor in terms of image size and this is fantastic news for me - and my strategy of buying into Fuji mini MF is well on track with the coming 100MP Fuji as a natural second system at twice the resolution and offering MF perspective.

After many years of frustration with putting up with essentially 'hacked' systems combining digital backs with tech cameras and dodgy over prices tech lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider and ridiculous pricing from Hasselblad and Phase One and Leaf and Sinar- we are entering into a 'clean air' phase of equipment choice - at much more palatable price points.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I hear from the reviews that 50/1.4 is on par with Zeiss Otus. Well, we'll see but this is what it sounds like!

Post Thanks / Like

Too early for me to make any judgement because I will be comparing the S1R against what the Leica SL2 will be when announced - except to say that the S1R is a fantastic option now for owners of L mount Leica glass.
    There has been some speculation that the SL2 would be smaller than the SL, but with the new Panasonic cameras being larger, maybe the speculation will change. With the new Olympus entry being as large as a full frame, maybe the tide has turned against compact cameras. With lenses too. Are photographers hands getting larger as well?

Post Thanks / Like

47 megapixels all of a sudden releases the resolving capabilities of the L glass from the constraints of 24MP sensor in terms of image size and this is fantastic news for me - and my strategy of buying into Fuji mini MF is well on track with the coming 100MP Fuji as a natural second system at twice the resolution and offering MF perspective.

After many years of frustration with putting up with essentially 'hacked' systems combining digital backs with tech cameras and dodgy over prices tech lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider and ridiculous pricing from Hasselblad and Phase One and Leaf and Sinar- we are entering into a 'clean air' phase of equipment choice - at much more palatable price points.
    I almost would bet that the Leica SL2 will be a Panasonic S1R in just a different housing - if at all - but od course with the Leica price tag. And yes it will support Leica DNG etc

I think that this was all planned and a smart move by Leica, so they spare resources by developing their own FF mirrorless flagship model from the scratch - actually it makes a lot of sense not only for Leica, but also for the final product.

I would also almost bet that we will se a second resolution model (24MP) from Leica based on the S1

Just my 5c
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I almost would bet that the Leica SL2 will be a Panasonic S1R in just a different housing - if at all - but od course with the Leica price tag. And yes it will support Leica DNG etc

I think that this was all planned and a smart move by Leica, so they spare resources by developing their own FF mirrorless flagship model from the scratch - actually it makes a lot of sense not only for Leica, but also for the final product.

I would also almost bet that we will se a second resolution model (24MP) from Leica based on the S1

Just my 5c
    We will see how much 'overlap' there will be and I agree there is likely (perhaps) some - but maybe not as much as you might think at first glance...

I think the body design of a camera and its operating system is very important consideration - eg I wanted to like Sony - but the bodies are just too small for me. ( you could say in fact I'm disappointed with Sony for not making a body I can actually use comfortably) which btw is also the reason I have always avoided M4/3rds bodies and systems - purely ergonomics nothing to do with real world IQ.
    I would love Leica to shove the electronics into an R9 type body ( PERFECTION ) or at the least an S style body with more natural to hand curvature and that alone would be important and useful enough for me to prefer the Leica.
    Similarly there are other considerations which I think you might see that makes the SL2 'different' - the most important one for many Leica shooters is compatibility with M lenses - which would require microlens coverage of the chip as in SL now...
    Also Leica has developed ( like Hasselblad with XID) a very minimalistic approach to buttons and menus - very different to typical Japanese GUI - again a major difference.
    Then there is the actual engineering of colour/lens corrections and other technical considerations which produce different outcomes for different cameras - even if they share the same capture chip ( eg XID/Pentax/Fuji/Hasselblad and Phase One all share the same Sony 50MP chip and all produce different outcomes)...
    I don't think Leica is as interested in video aspects of cameras as Panasonic - even though the SL has amazing capability from 4 years ago....I doubt Leica will bother with a flippy screen ( I hope not anyway as I hate them as a stills photographer) they always look silly and flimsy and like toys.

Finally - will be interesting to see if Leica bother with a 24MP version really - the SL is 24 megapixel and is still a fantastic camera - I wont be selling it or trading it for just another 24MP Leica camera - no point - the major drawcard is the 47MP so the SL Leica lenses can start to use their resolving capability - right now these lenses are not being used optimally or anywhere near it.

if Leica continued to 'dumb down' the SL in order to somehow protect the S system ( which in my opinion is a dead end) then I and many others would just exit Leica SL systems - I think the company understand this - I mean 20+K for an S3 @64megapixels - is not a value proposition for anyone except those with an extensive inventory of S lenses - cant see any 'new' customers for the S system tbh. Leica have goofed with this - big time.

Pete

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    Also, I hear from the reviews that 50/1.4 is on par with Zeiss Otus. Well, we'll see but this is what it sounds like!
    At $2300, it had better be VERY good. I don't know of any other 50-60mm f1.4 lens priced this high (besides the Zeiss Otus and Leica SL lenses). I suppose Panasonic has priced it as a less expensive alternative to the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux-SL lens (approx $4,000). Once Sigma releases a L-mount version of their 50/1.4 ART lens, I'm betting this will put a real damper on the Panasonic 50/1.4 S Pro sales. Significant rebates on the Panasonic lens are likely once that happens.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just my 5c
    My assumptions:
    - Leica SL2 must support M-lenses as good as Leica SL does (i.e., have a more expensive, specialized sensor).
    - Panasonic S1/S1R does not care about M-lenses.

If my assumptions are correct than Leica SL2 cannot be a Panasonic in a different housing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At $2300, it had better be VERY good. I don't know of any other 50-60mm f1.4 lens priced this high (besides the Zeiss Otus and Leica SL lenses). I suppose Panasonic has priced it as a less expensive alternative to the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux-SL lens (approx $4,000). Once Sigma releases a L-mount version of their 50/1.4 ART lens, I'm betting this will put a real damper on the Panasonic 50/1.4 S Pro sales. Significant rebates on the Panasonic lens are likely once that happens.

Gary
    Um, M lenses? Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH - $4595 (black chrome), $3995 (black), $4195 (silver) at B&H at present.

Just sayin' ... There are others that are far more expensive: the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ($7995) or Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ($11,595) ..!

They are Leica ...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary
    My experience with Panasonic lenses indicate that it may be worth the price. The Sigma will be less than half the price of course, and actually smaller and lighter, in spite of being an SLR lens with a tube welded on. Still, if I pay 3-4,000 for the camera, I would probably go for that 50mm. It's the real thing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary
    As I wrote in the other thread, I believe the most important note about this lens is that it is designed for both photo AND video usage. The Sigma MAY be cheaper (assuming they stick with the same optical formula and methods in how they converted them to E mount) but for people that intend on dual-use lenses this may still be the better option and is one quiet advantage that Panasonic and Sony have enjoyed over other mirrorless makers so far across the native lineup. For instance, there has been a big push on the Fuji side of things to redo/update many of the older noisy lenses so that they be used more effectively for video usage like the newer f/2 primes and "Red Badge" zooms now that Fuji X is being taken a lot more seriously for hybrid video/photo use.

From the JPEG shots I'm seen, the Lumix S Pro 50/1.4 seems to be a real winner. It has good color, smooth but neutral bokeh, and dare I say some "Leica Summilux-M 50" magic. Whether it's "worth" $2300 is subjective. For people looking at the SL 50/1.4 or Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 it may be a bargain. For people looking at the Canon RF 50/1.2 it may be a "push." For people looking at amazing lenses like the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 or value for speed in the Canon EF 50/1.4 it may be considered "overpriced" but if people are willing to pay for it then is it really?

Time will tell and I halfway expect to see rebates/sales within 6 months of release for a price drop/ price normalization of the Lumix S camera bodies as we are seeing with the Sony FE, Nikon Z, and Fuji X cameras now that sales are slowing after the initial hype wore off. Where I think the S1R may have some trouble is in that the S1 is arguably more capable for more people and a permanent A9 price drop to say $3500 will likely drive more than a few people that rely on amazing autofocus towards Sony. It's also is not uncommon to see people buying A7RIII's in the $2500-2800 range without much bargaining though I feel the S1 is probably priced appropriately. I always expected it to be in the $1800-2500 range but I expected the S1R in the $2500-3500 range... and to top off at $4000 with a kit lens whatever the case. It's a little above that number and that's why I think there will be a market-induced "correction" within 6 months of release once the hardcore Panasonic lovers get the cameras in hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My experience with Panasonic lenses indicate that it may be worth the price. The Sigma will be less than half the price of course, and actually smaller and lighter, in spite of being an SLR lens with a tube welded on. Still, if I pay 3-4,000 for the camera, I would probably go for that 50mm. It's the real thing
    Panasonic's answer to on-chip PDAF is DFD, which is based on detailed lens knowledge. In the m43 world, only Panasonic's lenses are able to focus with DFD. If they maintain that strategy, Panasonic's L-mount lenses will potentially focus better on S1/S1R cameras than Sigma's and Leica's lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Um, M lenses? Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH - $4595 (black chrome), $3995 (black), $4195 (silver) at B&H at present.

Just sayin' ... There are others that are far more expensive: the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ($7995) or Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ($11,595) ..!

They are Leica ...

G
    Oh Godfrey....

How could I have forgotten about the Leica M lenses! Duh.

I can only guess it is because cost wise, new Leica M lenses are mostly in a league of their own. Even so, clearly a warning sign that perhaps my own Leica M kit is feeling neglected with all my attention on these new cameras & lenses lately.

Thanks for reminding me that while the Panasonic lens is far from being a bargain, the price could have been much worse/higher.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I've just looked again closely at S1R 24-105 sample images and the lens performs pretty good at f/4! As I see it. Looks like it's a good travel lens. And the one for a start)

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic's answer to on-chip PDAF is DFD, which is based on detailed lens knowledge. In the m43 world, only Panasonic's lenses are able to focus with DFD. If they maintain that strategy, Panasonic's L-mount lenses will potentially focus better on S1/S1R cameras than Sigma's and Leica's lenses.
    I think that will be what happens - unfortunately DFD will be reserved for Panasonic lenses.

Which again is the same game that we had for years now in the m43 world with Panasonic and Leica - two issues come to my mind immediately - DFD and aperture ring of some PanaLeica lenses only works on Panasonic bodies.

Why did we believe that would change

Post Thanks / Like

I think that will be what happens - unfortunately DFD will be reserved for Panasonic lenses.
    Leica and Sigma will be CDAF only? Kind of diminishes the advantages of the L-mount alliance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Leica and Sigma will be CDAF only? Kind of diminishes the advantages of the L-mount alliance.
    I don't know that we know that but I'd assume that Panasonic/TowerJazz is at least making the sensors for the Panasonic and Leica cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Which again is the same game that we had for years now in the m43 world with Panasonic and Leica - two issues come to my mind immediately - DFD and aperture ring of some PanaLeica lenses only works on Panasonic bodies.

Why did we believe that would change
    I don't know that we know for certain that this will be the case.

In some of the interviews that I've read/watched, it seems that Leica and Panasonic want to keep the incompatibility issues experienced in Micro 4/3 to a minimum level. Perhaps the aperture rings will work (maybe at least on the Lumix S Pro that are certified by Leica) regardless of brand... and this is supposed to be more than "mount sharing" in operations. There's supposed to be some strategic vision agreements (i.e. Panasonic isn't releasing any APS-C/APS-H bodies but Sigma possibly will) and fleshing out strategic lens roadmaps to cover critical focal lengths as quickly as possible. The companies will operate independently but will supposedly think strategically collectively - whatever that will actually mean. In either case, if I were to move to this system then I'd likely focus on Panasonic and Sigma lenses, to begin with, and Panasonic bodies to own more than likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I don't know that we know for certain that this will be the case.

In some of the interviews that I've read/watched, it seems that Leica and Panasonic want to keep the incompatibility issues experienced in Micro 4/3 to a minimum level. Perhaps the aperture rings will work (maybe at least on the Lumix S Pro that are certified by Leica) regardless of brand... and this is supposed to be more than "mount sharing" in operations. There's supposed to be some strategic vision agreements (i.e. Panasonic isn't releasing any APS-C/APS-H bodies but Sigma possibly will) and fleshing out strategic lens roadmaps to cover critical focal lengths as quickly as possible. The companies will operate independently but will supposedly think strategically collectively - whatever that will actually mean. In either case, if I were to move to this system then I'd likely focus on Panasonic and Sigma lenses, to begin with, and Panasonic bodies to own more than likely.
    I only can hope you are right - but my whole life experience unfortunately tells me that this might in best case a nice dream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I only can hope you are right - but my whole life experience unfortunately tells me that this might in best case a nice dream
    Perhaps. Only time will tell.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica have just released a firmware upgrade for the SL to address compatibility issues....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice cameras. And everybody would like to know how well they work with M-lenses :-).
    Take one apart and measure the thickness of the IR filter :-)
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my favourite 'look generating' combination of camera and lens in 24MP and this is the type of combination that has to be beaten or at least matched by Panasonic and Sigma in their camera offerings - from a stills shooter POV - I have no interest what so ever in video.

- as a Leica shooter - I have to wait to see what the Leica SL2 looks like as its sensor in likelihood will accomodate M lenses if the Panasonic S1R can handle M lenses as well as the SL which is what many SL shooters are hoping for - then it is game on.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Take one apart and measure the thickness of the IR filter :-)
    -bob
    It is not only the thickness of the IR filter that matters for optimal M-lens compatibility but also the way that the (sensor) microlenses are designed.