Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Panasonic S1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic S1

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I will be ordering a better adapter. I started by testing my my most problematic lenses. None are really awful when stopped down, so I will move on to a better adapter.
    If the native lens is good that will eliminate the need for a new camera. Also, if specifically adapting manual, vintage lenses, I encourage you to demo the Z7, if only for the 16mm flange distance, thinnest sensor glass and wide diameter. Have fun!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I can't say I fully understand the obsession with using film camera lenses on digital bodies.
    I think a lot of us have a lot invested in M lenses, which are still incredibly capable lenses on bodies that support them, with basically no comparison in terms of size, weight, speed and character. Personally, I have no interest in a 50mm 1.4 SL lens that weighs three times as much and costs more than double what I paid for my 50mm Summilux M. I do not need AF for most of my work, and the S1 is a tertiary system for me...primarily used for video. For video use, the M lenses are frankly more desirable for me use. They have a beautiful look, smooth, consistent and linear manual focus and click stop apertures. I can set the lens and aperture and not have to worry about the settings changing etc. If I can use the same lens on an M camera for travel or candids, all the better. I certainly will grant that native lenses are almost always the best performers, but that doesn't mean that you should go out and spend 20,000 dollars on a few Leica lenses every time they change mounts.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am one of those who do not use M lenses that much on either the SL or the S1r, even though I still own many of them.
    First the zooms - even though big - are soo good, have AF, fcous fast ( I have small kids so here AF helps, specially face detection is of great help). I never ever had so many shots where the eyes are spot on sharp before.
    I do use occasionally M lenses to fill in. For example the 21/3.4 when I carry the zoom and want a wider option in my bag. Or the 35/1.4FLE for low light. I can also see using a Noctilux for its special rendering.

Another thing is balance of weight. I have to say using a tiny lens on a S1r feels a little bit "funny" to me.

I still think the best to use M lenses (at least up to 50mm) is sing on a M-body.

If I wanted to use manual lenses on a S1r/S1/SL/Z7/Z6 I would probably prefer R lenses over M-lenses. But than if you look how good native Nikon 50/1.8 are for example ..., or now the native lenses from Pana, I allmost allways come to the conclusion that - if available - I would opt for the native lens.

I find it a lot of fun to be able to put all kind of lenses on those bodies, but after some "playing" time I usually us mainly native lenses.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post