Site Sponsors
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1027

Thread: More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Two 10x8 portraits at work today:

Brenda by chrism229, on Flickr

Erin by chrism229, on Flickr

Both Chamonix 10x8, Schneider Kreuznach Symmar-S 360mm/f6.8 @f8, 1/2 second, Ilford HP5+ @400, Qualls' monobath in BTZS tubes, Epson 4870 scans.

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I am starting off August with a photo not from my projects - my niece is getting engaged and after I took a few usual engagement photos, I took a couple unconventional ones...

Cooke PS945

Oh, I got a HTML5 Gallery plugin and now I can make web galleries for my 4x5 portraiture projects easily!

Now they should work on any devices, including the iStuff!

Transformations: Cosplay Portraiture Project
    http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/Tran...lay-Portfolio/

Worldbuilders of SF&F
    (ooo boy, I need to tweak the color matching more)
    http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/Worl...FnF-Portfolio/

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 045N-2, Schneider Kreuznach 127mm/f4.7, HP5+ @640, Rodinal semi-stand, Epson V850 scan:

Abbie by chrism229, on Flickr

Mike by chrism229, on Flickr

Erin by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ted Williams and Arthur Griffin
    The Swing
    The Swing, 1939 © Arthur Griffin

Ted Williams and Arthur Griffin met in 1939; Ted was about to seize the role of Rookie of the Year, and Eastman Kodak wanted Griffin to test its new color film. Griffin was at Fenway Park with his usual assortment of equipment, working on a story, in black and white, for the Boston Globe. He also carried with him his 4˝ x 5˝ view camera and Kodak’s new color film made specifically for these view cameras.

Their careers rising simultaneously, these two men connected that historic day when Williams eagerly posed for two hours. The resulting photos, the first color images ever taken of Williams, provide a unique and exceptional collection of photographs of Williams early in his career.

At age 19, Ted Williams was not yet soured by carping sports columnists or feuds with management and fans, so he gladly agreed to pose. Griffin experimented for himself and Kodak that summer day; the color film was slow and not good for action shots, but Williams, exhibiting his batting stance and swing, was so engaging a figure that Griffin was determined to catch him.

At the time, the Globe printed only in black and white, and Griffin filed away the striking color photographs of “The Splendid Splinter.” By the time color photography became more widely used in the press, Williams’ amiability had diminished, and he had no time to pose for new photographs. This undeveloped film of Williams was discovered 50 years later, and the images are now part of his and Griffin’s legacies in both baseball and photographic history.

Arthur Griffin was a pioneer in the use of both color film and the 35-millimeter camera and published six books. Considered New England’s “photographer laureate,” he spent 60 years as a photographic journalist on assignments that took him around the world and into the company of the renowned.

This collection of photographs of Ted Williams made on that fateful day in 1939 is a unique tribute to this late baseball legend and has been widely praised as some of the finest baseball photographs taken. The images represent not only baseball history but also photographic history. It’s a great story and one that needs to be shared with the public.

Stanley
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Messing about with 10x8 paper negatives today:

Pippa 2015 #23 by chrism229, on Flickr

Pippa 2015 #24 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to do some 4x5 today, but lacked a model so I ended up using a tape measure and some guesswork to do a self-portrait. As I was developing a pair of negatives, our member of parliament (we have a federal election next month) knocked on the door. I knew him long before he first was elected, so I invited him into the darkroom and he watched while his handlers fumed outside. He stayed to see the negatives come out of the tank, and that might just have been the best part of his day (he does 200 doorsteps a day at 2 minutes each!)

Chamonix 4x5, Schneider 127mm, HP5+, HC-110, V850 scan:

Self Portrait by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fomapan 100 4x5, f32 for 150s (15s measured), stand developed in Agfa R09
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Come on people, don't be shy or this thread will die.

Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's been at least 5 years since I pulled one of my large format cameras out of the closet. A few of my friends asked me to show them the basics of how these cameras work. None had ever had their hands on a view camera. I guess it's like riding a bicycle....I had a few wobbles, but we did mange to get a few decent shots. We experimented with forward lens tilt to dramatically change the plane of focus on the two "mug shots". Then a straight forward table top shot.

Portraits shot with a Toyo 45AII and Rodenstock 180mm APO Sironar-N lens. Table top shot with a Sinar X and Nikkor-W 210mm lens.

Fuji Neopan 100 Quickload film...expired in 2009, but refrigerated since I bought it. I found several boxes of B&W and color Fuji Quickload film (mostly 2007-2009) which are priceless to me now. Also several boxes of B&W film that expired in the late 1990s. Time to get out there and shoot it I guess.

I had the film processed by a local custom photo lab (Kellers) here in Anchorage. I was glad to know they still process 4x5 film....but only B&W.

The scan? Didn't feel like firing up my Epson V750, so while I was looking at the negatives on the light table with the Mamiya 3x 6x7 loupe (I absolutely love this loupe), I just pointed my iPhone 6 thru it and took the pics. A few quick adjustments in PS and here you have it....good enough for Letter size prints, which don't look too bad.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited by bensonga; 25th November 2015 at 15:03.

Post Thanks / Like

An experiment with pre-flashing the paper by making an exposure (1/4 the 'taking' exposure) with a piece of plain paper in front of the lens.

Chamonix 10x8, Symmar-S 360/6.8, Kenthene RC glossy Gr2, Ilford MG developer, V850 scans:

Paper Negative #16 - no preflash by chrism229, on Flickr

Paper Negative #17 - paper preflashed by chrism229, on Flickr

These were actually the 5th and 6th exposures I took. The first four were attempts at guessing the exposure, using two CFT lights and one strobe. I ended up taking these two with eight exposures of one second, and during each one second exposure the flash fired twice! Obviously my guess at rating this paper at ISO12 was, umm, inaccurate, as my flash meter had indicated that a single one second exposure would do it.

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is an older image because I no longer shoot 4x5 film but it's a favorite from the Trona Pinnacles. Shot on Provia F 100 likely with the Schneider Super Symmar 110mm XL lens. I call it "The Guardian" but I doubt it has a real official name.

It was scanned by E-6 Film Processing | Digital Scanning | Slide Imprinting | Historical Processor Chrome | AGX Imaging Mike does a great job using a Hasselblad X5 for $12.50 a shot any film size up to 4x5 and 617.Attachment 115073

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Come on people, don't be shy or this thread will die.

Amazing tonality, I don't think even my IQ180 is that nuanced, but haven't done much black and white with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Amazing tonality, I don't think even my IQ180 is that nuanced, but haven't done much black and white with it.
    Thank you. No, I don't think an MFDB can quite match it yet, though images from high MP backs come close in resolution to 4x5. LF is shooting with a low stressed lens on a very high resolution medium and MF shooting incredibly corrected lenses on a medium with limited resolution. The LF way gives more possibilities to allow for some rendering character, with MF you would lose too much resolution. But there are no technical advancements on the horizon for LF, so MF will catch up in resolution soon. Luckily you can't quite match the look of LF on a smaller format, so there will hopefully still be a place for film for a bit.
    For now LF is a cheap way to get into the high resolution game and I wonder why not more people go this route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    This is an older image because I no longer shoot 4x5 film but it's a favorite from the Trona Pinnacles. Shot on Provia F 100 likely with the Schneider Super Symmar 110mm XL lens. I call it "The Guardian" but I doubt it has a real official name.

It was scanned by E-6 Film Processing | Digital Scanning | Slide Imprinting | Historical Processor Chrome | AGX Imaging Mike does a great job using a Hasselblad X5 for $12.50 a shot any film size up to 4x5 and 617.Attachment 115073
    nice , yes Mike is cool I need to get some of my images up that way to scan

Post Thanks / Like

Despite my best efforts I can't get digital to give me the look (tonality) I get from 4x5 b & w negs.
    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

MPP, 90mm Angulon, FP4 HC110....

Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year I get sentimental feelings for film photography so I pulled out some old negatives and dusted off the scanner to re-awaken my sentiments. These are a few 1600 ppi scans of Polaroid type 55 negs shot 11 years ago with my 4x5. All scanned with an Epson 700 at about 1600 ppi with VueScan. Processed in LR and then toned with a proofing QTR-icc profile made for printing with the Canon iPF6100 on Canson Platine with a neutral warm curve developed for the TrueBW RIP. I'm also going to take the 4x5 out again and shoot some of the old Type 55 I have in storage to see if it will still hold and image.

Wagon Wheels, Wayne Meyer's reconstructed mill in Spencer, NY

Upper falls i Taughannock Gorge, Trumansburg, NY

Lower falls, Taughannock Gorge, Trumansburg, NY

Upper Treman Gorge, Enfield, NY

Upper Buttermilk Gorge, Ithaca, NY

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    This time of year I get sentimental feelings for film photography so I pulled out some old negatives and dusted off the scanner to re-awaken my sentiments. These are a few 1600 ppi scans of Polaroid type 55 negs shot 11 years ago with my 4x5. All scanned with an Epson 700 at about 1600 ppi with VueScan. Processed in LR and then toned with a proofing QTR-icc profile made for printing with the Canon iPF6100 on Canson Platine with a neutral warm curve developed for the TrueBW RIP. I'm also going to take the 4x5 out again and shoot some of the old Type 55 I have in storage to see if it will still hold and image.
    Hi Carl. I have two boxes of Polaroid Type 55 4x5 film in my refrigerator that I bought just before it was discontinued. I had never shot Polaroid film before, but figured someday I would like to give it a try. Perhaps when the spring of 2016 arrives here in Alaska, I will finally do that. Thanks for posting these photos and reminding me of that film. Unlike wine, it probably doesn't get better with age.

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Hi Carl. I have two boxes of Polaroid Type 55 4x5 film in my refrigerator that I bought just before it was discontinued. I had never shot Polaroid film before, but figured someday I would like to give it a try. Perhaps when the spring of 2016 arrives here in Alaska, I will finally do that. Thanks for posting these photos and reminding me of that film. Unlike wine, it probably doesn't get better with age.

Gary
    True, but like wine type 55 price does increase with age (eBay).
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Still snowing here, so out came the 10x8, 450mm/f9, HP5+, BTZS tubes, strobe, CFT light, Uncle Tom Cobley an' all:

Thomas by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not up to stomping around outside today, so I pestered Isabelle Adjani until she let me take her photo.

Chamonix 10x8, Kenthene grade 2 glossy RC paper, Nikkor-M 300mm/f9, exposed at f32, five seconds preflash through a sheet of white paper, then 15 seconds of the subject, Ilford Multigrade developer, Epson V850 scan:

Egoïste by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a little time in the driveway today. First shot illustrates what you can do with camera movements—see how the left side of the headlight is in focus, and so is the right side of the window on the house?

Front_Swing by chrism229, on Flickr

To get that the camera looked like this:

Chamonix_Movements by chrism229, on Flickr

Chamonix 045N-2, Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6, FP4+ @200, Diafine, X1 scans.

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

My first try with Galaxy paper—I contributed to their Kickstarter about six months ago, and they went to Russia to get some paper coated with a fast emulsion, and it arrived this week. Many people were annoyed when the purported reversal paper turned out to be ordinary (but fast) paper, with reversal processing required. Harman make a direct reversal paper and it was hoped this would be the same. For myself, I am happy with the product save for one annoyance. Most photographic printing paper has an ISO of 3. This is said to be 125, and I metered it that way, allowed for a third of a stop of bellows compensation—my 450mm lens was extended to 600mm to focus this close—and it came out just right. My only problem is that when looked at 100% magnification there are all sorts of black speckles on the film. I don't think these are from my water supply.

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor 450mm/f9, Galaxy paper negative, Ilford Multigrade developer, Epson V850 scan:

Pippa 2016 #3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    My first try with Galaxy paper—I contributed to their Kickstarter about six months ago, and they went to Russia to get some paper coated with a fast emulsion, and it arrived this week. Many people were annoyed when the purported reversal paper turned out to be ordinary (but fast) paper, with reversal processing required. Harman make a direct reversal paper and it was hoped this would be the same. For myself, I am happy with the product save for one annoyance. Most photographic printing paper has an ISO of 3. This is said to be 125, and I metered it that way, allowed for a third of a stop of bellows compensation—my 450mm lens was extended to 600mm to focus this close—and it came out just right. My only problem is that when looked at 100% magnification there are all sorts of black speckles on the film. I don't think these are from my water supply.

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor 450mm/f9, Galaxy paper negative, Ilford Multigrade developer, Epson V850 scan:

Pippa 2016 #3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Very interesting for sure. Here is a link: http://galaxy-paper.com/
    Any chance you can show a close up with the black specks visible?
    -Lars
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Very interesting for sure. Here is a link: http://galaxy-paper.com/
    Any chance you can show a close up with the black specks visible?
    -Lars
    Here you are:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 7.27.56 PM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	117126

Post Thanks / Like

Sunrise in Glen Coe, Scotland
    TMX 4x5 in Rodinal 1+50

I saw more photo opportunities in the one morning I spend there than I did in the 9 days I was there in february 2013. Unfortunately you can only be in one spot for sunrise, especially a cloudless one like this.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Refreshing version of a classic, well done And yes Scotland can be sooo frustrating but well worth it when the stars align.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    Refreshing version of a classic, well done And yes Scotland can be sooo frustrating but well worth it when the stars align.
    Thank you.
    That's very true. It is hard to plan where to go with the weather. But perseverance sometimes pays off and you are in the right spot and have the camera ready.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that folks are posting large (that's why we shoot these beasts, isn't it?). So I'll follow suit.

One from a few weeks ago:

chalk cliffs, hwy 162, colorado by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

And another from this past weekend:

evergreen trunk by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I continue to experiment, now with a used Arca Swiss F-line (171mm standards) from KEH. Such a nice camera, and relatively portable given the right rail setup.

"Product Shot" of my Pioneer RT-707. Just playing around with camera movements in my house, with a bit of lighting provided by an LED array (I usually use these for my YouTube videos).

pioneer rt-707 "product shot" by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Further experimentation with a new lens (Schneider 120mm Super-Symmar), and really, extremely, very expired Tri-X 320 (grainy in the shadows -- any hints?):

littleton cemetary by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

10x8 takes lots of work. I've spent six hours (possibly all wasted) on this so far, and Flickr won't upload it.

So here it is from another site. Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 300mm/f9, Ilford Hp5+ @640, Diafine in BTZS tubes, Epson V850 scan:

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 450mm/f9, Ilford HP5+ @ISO640, Diafine, BTZS tubes, Epson V850 scan:

Pippa & Hedgehog by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is an iPhone pic (complete with annoying reflections) of my first ever tintype. It's been 30 years since I used a large format camera and the advances in continuous lighting sure make it easier to compose and focus! The rapid processing of wet plates make it much more like the digital than the old sheet film experience. Not as fast as polaroids, but... well, it's different. I'd forgotten how beautiful a large ground glass image could be!

I took four plates today and will take more tomorrow, then I hope to have something nicer to share. I'm just too excited about getting anything. This is a workshop at the Penumbra Foundation.

--Matt (Is this the right forum? It's not really film....)
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's another one from the workshop, scanned and dusted. My grandmother-in-law's tea set. 48 seconds at f/11 in very bright light.

--Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,
    I dont much how much comes from the large format and how much that probably many large format photographers are very good photographers- but I really love many of the images posted here! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I fall for that one every time. Fun with Tech Cams. Fun with the Leica S. Fun with Large Format. The pictures are all fantastic, dammit!

It's the photographers.

--Matt

(Of course, even realizing this, one can fool oneself with the "But if I like the equipment, I'll use it more and improve" argument. )

Post Thanks / Like

That looks fantastic! I'm not sure I want to bother with 8x10, but it's definitely calling.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    10x8 takes lots of work. I've spent six hours (possibly all wasted) on this so far, and Flickr won't upload it.

So here it is from another site. Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 300mm/f9, Ilford Hp5+ @640, Diafine in BTZS tubes, Epson V850 scan:

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Recently went on a trip to KY, where I grew up. Got some pretty nice shots along Howard's Creek. Here are a couple, of about 5 or 6 worth posting.
    (I'm almost embarrassed to post my puny little waterfall/cascade after the huge ones posted above!)

howard's creek, clark co, kentucky by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

waterfall, howard's creek, clark co, kentucky by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

One more from Lower Howard's Creek.
    Arca Swiss F-Line 4x5
    Schneider 120mm Super-Symmar (love this lens!)
    Arista Ultra 400 @ 250, Rodinal 1+50

rock ledge, howard's creek, clark co, kentucky by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I fall for that one every time. Fun with Tech Cams. Fun with the Leica S. Fun with Large Format. The pictures are all fantastic, dammit!

It's the photographers.

--Matt

(Of course, even realizing this, one can fool oneself with the "But if I like the equipment, I'll use it more and improve" argument. )
    yes sure, great photographers, I still dig the smooth transitions of those images when a LF camera is in the right hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why my Flickr links keep going bad (if I click the link I am taken to the photo), but here's another one:

howard's creek, clark co, kentucky by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Slight rear swing to emphasize right-hand cliff and control DoF.

Arca Swiss F-Line Basic 4x5
    Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Super-Symmar
    Fomapan 400 @ 250
    Rodinal 1+50, 11 minutes
    Last edited by mathomas; 18th June 2016 at 04:34. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix
    Portra 160
    125mm Fujinon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SChoenfeld_klein-PS_.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	900.4 KB 
ID:	119301
    [ no picture ]
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dörenther Klippen
    Chamonix 045N-2, 150mm Fujinon-W @f32, Fomapan 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

Dörenther Klippen
    Chamonix 045N-2, 150mm Fujinon-W @f32, Fomapan 100
    Nice textures and tones there, and I like all the diagonals.

- - - Updated - - -

big dry creek and cottonwood by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Shot near my house, at Big Dry Creek, Centennial, CO.

Chamonix 045F1
    Schneider 120mm Super-Symmar
    Fomapan 400 @ 200, Rodinal 1+50
    Mike
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathomas
    http://mathomas.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 45F1 - Ilford FP2 125 - Rodenstock 90mm
    Ogunquit, Maine

Post Thanks / Like

I went back to the Campbell House (I posted some 645 photos in the analog forum) with the Chamonix 4x5 and some FP4+, developed in Diafine and scanned on the X1:

Campbell House 8 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cardenas Butte in foreground from South Rim of Grand Canyon. 4x5 Provia converted to black and white. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1,011.6 KB 
ID:	120774

Post Thanks / Like

locomotive engine detail by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Arca Swiss F-Field
    210mm Caltar f/6.8
    Fomapan 400 @200
    Rodinal 1+50, 10 minutes
    1/60s @ f/16

Digitized with my Sony A7II and macro lens, using a 4-shot stitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 4x5, Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6, FP4+, Diafine, Hasselblad X1 scans:

Cape John 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Cape John 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another train shot:

locomotive boiler and valves by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Arca Swiss F-Field
    120mm Schneider Super-Symmar
    Fomapan 400 @200
    Rodinal 1+50, 10 minutes
    50s @ f/32