Site Sponsors

Thread: Playing with the M9 now, first thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Playing with the M9 now, first thoughts...

I got the steel gray one today and, rather fortuitously, managed to sell my 8.2 to someone I met in the shop at what I think was a good price for both of us.

First impressions are that it's lovely, that the new menu system is great, that I might miss the top window indicator, that at ISO1250 it seems pretty similar to my 5DII (which I don't have with me so I can't compare directly) and that ISO 2500 looks pretty darned good too.

It works ok with my CV15 as long as you manually set it up as a tri-elmay at 16mm. Weirdly, most of my 28 cron shots seem a little off focus but the sample is still small. 50 Lux is stellar as always. The joker is the CV F2.5 35mm Skopar which was always great on the M8 but at first sight is a little weak at the edges on the M9. Ohm and at delivery it has a HUGE dust spot on the sensor and guess who doesn't have a rocket blower with him?!

Right: I have to go shoot this beasty properly but I think I'm going to like it! And I can't wait to read Jono and Michael R's reviews too, and to test it on my other lenses which I don't currently have with me.

They had a Canadian pre-asp 35 cron in the shop. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

Best

Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Playing with the M9 now, first thoughts...

isn't that the lens which won't work on the M9?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    isn't that the lens which won't work on the M9?
    Not as far as I know but I will look it up. I can't see why though!

matmcdermott

It works with the M8 just fine and was a fine performer on film, but I ended up selling mine as I found the 35mm focal length to be a bit in-between on the M8 for my eye

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on the new toy Tim!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Tim lets see some images soon. Enjoy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys - am going to a party this evening so will use it in prime M territory!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats man! Lets see some shots when youre ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks Guys - am going to a party this evening so will use it in prime M territory!
    Try 1250 ISO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So do we have a verdict??????????????????????????

Sheesh, now you're being a tease.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know it is too early to form a real opinion, but the images I am seeing are reminiscent of the DMR. This looks promising.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Must be some party.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Must be some party.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

Just got back from the party. Wow!

I think Leica have got it right. I've not got a lot to add to what Jono, Sean and David have said really. I think 1250, even 2000 are pretty useable and 2500 depends on what colour mix the light has and how well exposed but will sometimes be useable (depending on the, err... use) and will sometimes band a little.

The new ergonomics are great too. There's only one fly in my ointment which is that my glass (CV15 and 35, 28 Cron, Nocti F1 and 50 lux and 90 macro) was all fully and perfectly functional on my M8.2 but that's not the case with the RF adjustment on the M9 where the 28 Cron is just slightly off all the time and the 50 Lux can't 'do' infinity properly - the RF patches don't align distant straight line at any point and the results show it. I don't have the Nocti and 90 macro with me, nor will I til Monday as I'll be in Ireland til then. So I will bottom all this out then. Looks like it will be boring but necessary and I suspect we'll see some threads on it.

The sensor was very specky at delivery too and my rocket blower hand is worn out but things are a lot better now.

But it's great to be shooting the M again. I had sort of given up on the 8.2 since the 5DII arrived but a stroll with the 9 gives you M flexibility, speed and stealth with 5DII resolution. So you can get grab shots you'd otherwise miss....
    Attachment 21878

ps I played with a very interesting prototype today... very interesting indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

ps I played with a very interesting prototype today... very interesting indeed!
    hints? Or will you have to kill us?

Just picked up my 5D and am charging the battery. Have to admit that I look at the Canon 50/1.2 and then the svelte Leica 50/1.4 and say "hmm..."

bender

I have heard mixed results using the CV 15mm. Some are saying the vignetting and color shifts are really brutal to point that it could take a lot of post work to try and correct. Are you happy with the results of manually configuring it as a 16mm tri-elmar?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    hints? Or will you have to kill us?

Just picked up my 5D and am charging the battery. Have to admit that I look at the Canon 50/1.2 and then the svelte Leica 50/1.4 and say "hmm..."
    Death, certainly. But I will say that whatever it was, I WANT ONE and will likely be selling a whole lot of stuff to get it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    I have heard mixed results using the CV 15mm. Some are saying the vignetting and color shifts are really brutal to point that it could take a lot of post work to try and correct. Are you happy with the results of manually configuring it as a 16mm tri-elmar?

thanks
    Not really sure yet - I only used it for a few cityscapes over the rooftops to see if it was sharp (it was fairly good to the edges but not perfect) and it was dusk with lots of colour to the sky and clouds in striated sheets and bands, lit partly by the last of the sun and a little by city lights so.. I couldn't really assess the colour shift issues.

But I will report back when a get a better sense of it. I am not optimistic, given what I am hearing elsewhere...

bender

Thanks, looking forward to it!

Not really sure yet - I only used it for a few cityscapes over the rooftops to see if it was sharp (it was fairly good to the edges but not perfect) and it was dusk with lots of colour to the sky and clouds in striated sheets and bands, lit partly by the last of the sun and a little by city lights so.. I couldn't really assess the colour shift issues.

But I will report back when a get a better sense of it. I am not optimistic, given what I am hearing elsewhere...

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to your opinion about the CV 15mm Heliar on the M9 too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim:

Now that you've had your M9 for a few days, can you comment on the color it produces? I ask because I am seeing a inordinately high percentage of B&W images posted by new users compared to color and it leaves me wondering. Is it because they don't like the color or haven't figured out how to get good color out of it yet given the new Bayer filter? Of course they could all prefer B&W images, but then that would indicate Leica should build a monochrome sensored M9...
    Jack

nei1

Now there you have it Jack,start a campaign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

pre-asph cron

They had a Canadian pre-asp 35 cron in the shop. Anyone have any opinions on this one?
    which version?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tim:

Now that you've had your M9 for a few days, can you comment on the color it produces? I ask because I am seeing a inordinately high percentage of B&W images posted by new users compared to color and it leaves me wondering. Is it because they don't like the color or haven't figured out how to get good color out of it yet given the new Bayer filter? Of course they could all prefer B&W images, but then that would indicate Leica should build a monochrome sensored M9...
    Hi Jack,

I just got back from a weekend away where I shot a coupla hundred M9 files in very informal circumstances - sort of snapshooting - and am just reviewing them now. At first quick look they look fine since there's no M9 profile in LR yet, I'd be surprised if they couldn't be eventually rather better. The only thing I have spotted so far is some posterisation in very subtle mist and fog shots but this manifests in B&W and colour and I haven't quite figured it out yet!

I will report back when I have something more cogent to say!

Best

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pre-asph cron

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    which version?
    I'll have to ask them! Canadian pre-asph 35 cron was all I got. What other distinguishing features should I be looking for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jack,

I just got back from a weekend away where I shot a coupla hundred M9 files in very informal circumstances - sort of snapshooting - and am just reviewing them now. At first quick look they look fine since there's no M9 profile in LR yet, I'd be surprised if they couldn't be eventually rather better. The only thing I have spotted so far is some posterisation in very subtle mist and fog shots but this manifests in B&W and colour and I haven't quite figured it out yet!

I will report back when I have something more cogent to say!

Best

Tim
    C1 has a new update 4.8.3 That has the M9 profile

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy! Form this I learn: never buy a new camera and then go off grid for three days - I feel like I've fallen really behind the news here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just imagine when Jono gets back. LOL

I bet he came home from Holiday today and should be joining us soon. Tim honestly I would not waste my time right now with LR until the update comes in , way too much adjustment for it and may just screw you up. Make sure you have firmware 1.02 in it also than just use C1 for now at least. The profile looks pretty good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll have to ask them! Canadian pre-asph 35 cron was all I got. What other distinguishing features should I be looking for?
    there are four versions, all have quite a different look and feel to them....

the most popular is the last version (IV), named the King of Bokeh. there were issues on build quality, but the excellent images produced cannot be denied. plenty sharp, beautiful colours, so close to the Asph without the clinical feel. and the tiny size of this (and the others) is well in keeping of the Leica tradition.

i personally have the first version, 8 element one. lower contrast and slightly muted colours but amazingly sharp and creamy. i shoot mostly b/w so i love this one! (these may be an acquired taste with their old-style look and are, unfortunately, more popular with collectors.)

v. II is an unknown to me. sorry.

v.III has the highest contrast of the lot, though i found it to be very close to the more expensive v. IV. (one caveat: i tried this before i became so glass obsessed so i don't know if i'd see more nuances now.)

i remember reading once that a famous photographer had a 35 Cron for the day and a Lux for night. as both the pre-asphs were so small, it's very easy to use them as such and i've done this often.

i've been unfaithful to this ideal since i got the larger 35 Lux Asph -- but that's mostly because the pre-asph Lux only has near focus of 1 meter (all pre-asph Crons go down to .7m). i've never been tempted by the 35 Cron Asph as the draw, to me, isn't as appealing. it's all a matter of taste.... still, if there's a good price and you like the way the pre-asph looks on the M9 (remember, these were made for full frame), i'd consider getting it. there's something magical about shooting with these compact lenses that makes you forget you're in the digital domain!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just imagine when Jono gets back. LOL

I bet he came home from Holiday today and should be joining us soon. Tim honestly I would not waste my time right now with LR until the update comes in , way too much adjustment for it and may just screw you up. Make sure you have firmware 1.02 in it also than just use C1 for now at least. The profile looks pretty good
    Jono and I have been texting and he is still in Greece so don't hold your breath! I am downloading latest version C1 now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    there are four versions, all have quite a different look and feel to them....

the most popular is the last version (IV), named the King of Bokeh. there were issues on build quality, but the excellent images produced cannot be denied. plenty sharp, beautiful colours, so close to the Asph without the clinical feel. and the tiny size of this (and the others) is well in keeping of the Leica tradition.

i personally have the first version, 8 element one. lower contrast and slightly muted colours but amazingly sharp and creamy. i shoot mostly b/w so i love this one! (these may be an acquired taste with their old-style look and are, unfortunately, more popular with collectors.)

v. II is an unknown to me. sorry.

v.III has the highest contrast of the lot, though i found it to be very close to the more expensive v. IV. (one caveat: i tried this before i became so glass obsessed so i don't know if i'd see more nuances now.)

i remember reading once that a famous photographer had a 35 Cron for the day and a Lux for night. as both the pre-asphs were so small, it's very easy to use them as such and i've done this often.

i've been unfaithful to this ideal since i got the larger 35 Lux Asph -- but that's mostly because the pre-asph Lux only has near focus of 1 meter (all pre-asph Crons go down to .7m). i've never been tempted by the 35 Cron Asph as the draw, to me, isn't as appealing. it's all a matter of taste.... still, if there's a good price and you like the way the pre-asph looks on the M9 (remember, these were made for full frame), i'd consider getting it. there's something magical about shooting with these compact lenses that makes you forget you're in the digital domain!

That is incredibly useful, I am very grateful indeed - now I know what to look for....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Monochrome sensored M

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    ..., but then that would indicate Leica should build a monochrome sensored M9...
    Hmm, not a bad proposal - I'm sure the folks at Wetzlar could rustle up an M9M to get more people back ...