Thread: Leica Sales up 29%

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Sales up 29%

Leica Camera Aktiengesellschaft, Solms
    ISIN DEOOOAOEPU98, DEOOOAOXFSH6
    Interim report to 30 June 2011
    1st quarter of the 2011/2012 fiscal year
    Sales 28.7% up as compared with previous year – Operating result (EBIT) up 36.7% as
    compared with same period last year
    Leica Camera Group maintained its growth during the first quarter of the new fiscal year. At
    EUR 72,313,000, sales were 28.7% up on the corresponding quarter of the previous fiscal
    year (EUR 56,176,000), while the consolidated net income for the period under review,
    influenced by such factors as a higher contribution margins, rose by EUR 1,403,000 to
    EUR10,829,000 (previous year EUR 9,426,000).
    Due to the continuing strong demand the number of people employed by the Group rose to
    1,152 (previous year 1,083).
    For the 2011/2012 fiscal year the Board of Management anticipates further sales growth,
    pushing our EBIT well over the 20 million euro mark.
    This sales growth over the past year is down to enduringly strong demand in all product
    categories, with sales 36% up in the Photography division, comprising products such as the
    Leica M-System, the professional S-System and Leica's D-Lux 5 and V-Lux 30 compact digital
    cameras. The successor model to the Leica V-Lux 20, launched in May 2011, has already sold
    over 10,000 units after just eight weeks on the market. This sales growth applies to all regions, with Europe, Germany and Asia registering
    particularly strong rises of more than 30%. Even in the much more fiercely competitive sport
    optics segment sales rose by 20 % to 6.9 million euros.
    In response to the continuing strong demand the Board of Management has approved a
    further package of measures designed to improve stock availability.
    The operating result (EBIT) was EUR 4,430,000 or 36.7% up on the same period last year and
    now totals EUR 16,494,000. The balance sheet total has risen by EUR 34,549,000 to EUR
    163,414,000, and funds, material inventories and accounts receivable have all increased
    proportionately with the rising sales. The rise on the liabilities side results from the increase
    in equity due to the improved results.
    Solms, 12 August 2011
    The Board of Management
    Alfred Schopf Andreas Lobejäger

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica Sales up 29%

They need to hire more people!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    They need to hire more people!!!
    I agree. The delivery times specially for M lenses get just too long.
    I am glad that Leicas business is running so good again.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been hiring, and built an entire new factory to up production. Remember this surge happened over the past 2-3 years, not a very long time to increase production to the required level given the way they make lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    They have been hiring, and built an entire new factory to up production. Remember this surge happened over the past 2-3 years, not a very long time to increase production to the required level given the way they make lenses.
    I would also assume like any company, that after experiencing a rough financial period and then having their fortunes and good luck change with 2-3very successful years, will expand and invest in upgrading infrastructure and production in a well controlled and carefully monitored pace. This would be especially true in the current global economy, where things are still quite volatile and can change fairly rapidly. Good to see Leica turning the corner with some very successful products and sales.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I was happy to help with the opportunity to purchase a couple of new lenses during their first quarter. Recently added a new camera in their second quarter which should help with their continued growth forecast.

Unfortunately for Leica, I have now sworn off any new purchases for at least a year or more.

. . . . . and I mean it . . . . .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, Dan.

I think I have been assisting in Leica's financial turn around for the past 3 years or so...

Good to hear things are going well. Hopefully, the supply can meet the demand someday soon.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography