Site Sponsors

Thread: anyone have test a mamiya 35 N (not af) at F11 / F16 with a current digital back ?

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have test a mamiya 35 N (not af) at F11 / F16 with a current digital back ?

i have a technical camera for my architecture photography, but i still like to have a cheap wide angle for my DF, just in case...

the 28D is far too expensive for my use ( i've just bought a 28HR, and i still use a 35XL with my RM3D...)...

the 35 AF isn't cheap for a less than perfect lens

the 35D too expensive also...

So, i wonder how the manual 35 N perform on a digital back (DM33)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: anyone have test a mamiya 35 N (not af) at F11 / F16 with a current digital back

I used the 35N for about 7 months on my P45+ before I purchased the 35AF. The 35N may actually have been just a bit sharper in the corners, however I found that between the 35AF and N, I liked the look of the images better from the 35AF. 35N was much cooler to me. I had used the 35N previously on a Zork adapter with 35mm Canons and on Canon it came across much warmer.

The 35AF is one lens I use very often and really wish that Mamiya/Phase would totally rework the lens to bring it to the resolution ability of the more modern Mamiya/Phase glass.

Before you purchase the N, see if you can test a few of the 35AF lenses as there is quite a bit of variance between samples.

I guess I should have added most of the work I did was at f11 to f16. Outdoors daylight landscape work. Really not too difference as corner falloff/softness seems to about the same. Much better than F6.3 to F8.

Paul Caldwell
    Last edited by Paul2660; 10th November 2011 at 15:20. Reason: New information

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone have test a mamiya 35 N (not af) at F11 / F16 with a current digital back

I have a 35N I use with an Aptus 22 (36 x 48mm). It distorts (surprise!) but is quite useable. I can put some samples up here, but if you look through my posts here you will find some.

Or message me, and I can provide samples and/or links.

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this old post.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much !

considering the distortion, i will wait and go for an AF... PT lens seems good but it takes time... these days, i try my best to reduce time in front of the computer !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    thank you very much !

considering the distortion, i will wait and go for an AF... PT lens seems good but it takes time... these days, i try my best to reduce time in front of the computer !
    No point, really. My skepticism confirmed by Doug Peterson.

Emperor Phase still has no clothes!

Post Thanks / Like

the point is as far as i understand how C1 works... i can't correct the distortion of the non af lens in it, even if it's the same as the AF version... there's no way to apply the AF35 correction to a file of my choice insn't it ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No lens corrections will only work with the AF model in C1 on a automatic level.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I forgot about EXIF, so quite true. In that same thread there’s a shot by Jack Flesher with a new 35mm showing the possibilities.

My apologies! So something like PTLens is the only solution for the older lenses.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 17th November 2011 at 03:28. Reason: Added concluding sentence.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread I know, but I just pulled this result from my ancient 35mm MF lens in Capture One. Sharpness Falloff control works a treat!

Post Thanks / Like

Its a shame the 35mm Mamiya lenses (MF or AF versions) are not that great.

Heck, I might even buy a DF camera (groan ) if Schneider put their hand to a LS 35mm lens thats gets close to their excellent 35XL.

I imagine the cost to be frightening though......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    I imagine the cost to be frightening though......
    This Mamiya 35 was purchased on eBay for about $100—cost/benefit ratio?

Centre 100%

Edge 100%

Mamiya opted for a f3.5 maximum aperture and a filter size of no more than 77mm; I believe that if they had relaxed just one of these criteria, a better lens may have resulted.

Three 35mm MF lenses compared.

#
    Last edited by mediumcool; 25th January 2012 at 18:36. Reason: changed *tested* to *compared*; added a few returns