Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 lenses for Technical camera and Phase One IQ 180

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3 lenses for Technical camera and Phase One IQ 180

Dear friends,

I have been inspired by remarkable works of friends at GetDPI and it is about time for me to move up to the next level of photography and to maximize my IQ 180.
    I only do landscape photography and use Phase One 28mm, Mamiya AF 35mm, Schneider 55mm LS, 80mm LS, 150mm LS, Mamiya 75-150mm, and 300mm. I've used 28mm and 55mm a lot.
    I would like to get your expert opinions regarding 3 best lenses for a view camera and Phase One IQ 180. Your advices will be greatly appreciated as always. This is certainly the best place in the planet to get this information.

Thank you very much.
    Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 18th February 2012 at 17:57.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 3 lenses for Technical camera and Phase One IQ 180

This is tough as you can go several directions but if you want a 3 lens only kit than I would go like I did except I have a 35 but for a 180 you have to be careful. Costs are high here but Rodie 32, SK 60 TS and either 90 or 120. Or you can go 40 or 43 , 70 or 72 and 120. Those are mainly you best three lens kits for the 180. I can cheat and use a cheaper cost 35 XL on the IQ 160 . It's the wides that will get you and also how wide do you want to start. My advice pick the wide first as that will determine the 2nd and 3rd lens. I actually may break this pattern since I want wider and go Rodie 28, SK 60 and 120 big gaps here but I love very wides and very longs. Right now I have 35,60 and 120
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If your wondering the SK 35 XL does not work well with the 180. The Rodie 32 is around 8k . For the widest lens with reasonable price the Rodie 40 is the widest for the 180 that is less than 5k.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This can and usually comes down to budget determining your pain factor here. LOL

I know since the 28 will cost two arms and three legs not to mention a big freaking bat to my head to get one.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are the comments I'd love to hear.
    I would like to know which ones are the best. I can build up the system slowly, one at a time. I have the same problem as you do with my wife so I have to be very careful.
    Is SK 35 XL useable or I should not consider at all?
    Thank you so much Guy!
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not with the 180 . I even have to use a CF with mine just to get 10mm movement out of it. As far as the best , honestly between Rodenstock and Schneider you almost can't go wrong. Some would say Rodie is more detailed over the Schneiders but you would really have to prove it. Rodie's do have a little more movement in them than advertised because of the design they are usually more costly than the Schneiders but also some will say the SK have a nicer look to them or tonal range. I like the SK but certainly would not turn down a Rodie either. The big trick for 180 users is will it work on your sensor, here Rodie's in the wides have the advantage and work well 23,28 and 32 but be aware they are all around 8 k.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again Guy. I am well aware of the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good don't want folks having heart attacks our docs are not standing by. LOl

Funny we had 3 doctors on our workshop. Love having a damn team following me around. LOL

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I probably need to start sell some of my geers.
    I'd love to attend your workshop some days. Still very busy with work and kids.
    Thanks,
    Pramote

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for what it's worth, schneiders are a bit smaller than the Rodie counterparts

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I came from 4x5, so I already knew which focals I "had to have" since I had been through every possible focal previously with the 4x5. There I had settled on a foursome. In order of use they were the 90 (maybe 50%), 150 (about 30%), then about tied between the 65 and 270 (around 10% each). The comparable focals for LF >> MF tech >> 35mm full-frame are *approximately*

90 = 40 = 26
    150 = 70 = 45
    65 = 28 = 19
    270 = 120 = 80

I also liked the 55 in LF, but it was getting pretty wide, and the 47 in LF was extremely wide; know that 47 in LF = about the 23 in MF tech, which in turn = about 15mm in 35 terms. Hence where I am presently sitting with my tech kit is my first 2 mandatory focals were the 40 and the 70, and I am extremely happy with both of them. The next addition was the 120, but only because I wanted that focal for the tech cam so I would not have to drag my DF body in the field with me. I also now have the 28 HR on order to round out my ideal single-camera foursome.

So for you already knowing you use your 28 and 55 a lot, I think you just need to decide 1) do you want to use your DSLR body or another camera for longer shots, and 2) if you'd prefer the tech replacement for your 55 a little wider (40HR or 43SK or the 50HR) or a little tighter (60SK), then decide how much longer than that one or wider than the 28 you want to go for your 3rd option.

Note that for me I chose the Rodenstock HR series for my 28, 40 and 70, but have shot with the similar 43 and 72 Schneiders -- basically all of the CURRENT series of tech lenses are stellar, the older generations you need to be careful. My 120 is the SK and it is excellent too.

120 and long tech lens note: 120 (or 135, 150, 180, 210) short barrel lenses have a rear extension "box" to allow for infinity focus on tech cams -- this makes the package less compact combined and slower to mount and unmount. Some of the manufacturers offer long barrel in the long lenses that add that length like a permanently attached extension tube -- this makes them less portable and efficient to pack and carry in your bag. In short, just recognize that using lenses longer than 90 on tech cams gets a little more finicky and slower to operate.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To me the big question is whether you will be taking this into the field by itself or alongside a camera with long lenses (e.g DF with 75-150 or dSLR with 70-200).

Tech Cam Kit for Use Alongside Long Lens Camera
    23HR
    40HR TS
    60XL TS

Stand Alone Tech Cam Kit
    32HR TS
    60XL TS
    120XL TS

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

If I had the IQ180 I would go Rodies 32 and 50 for wides. Love the fact that they are f4, do not need centrefilter and sharp wide open. Allows for good amount of movements even with the big sensor and still high resolution at the edges.
    The Rodies are bigger and heavier and more expensive. But the more important downsides imho are distortion (although correctable) and something very seldom talked about, they are more prone to CA which is vertially none existant with the Schneiders. But all together I would still go HR32 & H50 with an IQ180.
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have not seen *ANY* CA with my 40 or 70 HR in front of my IQ 180 to date, though they do seem to be slightly more flare prone than the comparable SK's.

One issue I had with the 43 Schneider is enough smaller than the 40 Rodie that my fat fingers had a much tougher time reaching the lens controls -- FWIW...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find that I can reach *ALL* of the controls on my SK & Rodie lenses with my fingers - most often all at the same time!

After a while you get used to being able to work by feel from the back of the camera with either, although I would agree with Jack that the Rodies do have a slight advantage being bigger in that there can be more finger room. Certainly true with my 90 HR-W vs SK 35 or 47 XL. The downside of course IS that they are bigger!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I am very happy to read that you have not seen any CA in yours! I have seen several examples (same session)with a HR32 shooting in the woods and CA appearing around leaves with bright sky behind. Also in theory the lensdesign "should" be worse off compared to Schneiders in this regard, but it is fantastic if this is a non issue!

I should ad that I do not know the back used with the CA infected images I saw! If that matters....
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a 3 lens kit and I only shoot landscapes with it. I use the Alpa system.
    My lenses are the APO Digitar 35XL, APO Digitar 80mm SB, and APO Digitar 150 SB.
    I have the tilt shift adapter, so that is why I have the SB (short barrel) lenses.
    I do not shoot the P180, but the P45+. I have no CA issues with the P45+. Not sure if the shifting with the 35mm and Alpa would help with that when you stitch. I also ALWAYS do an LCC shot for each venue, shift and f-stop.
    Good luck!
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    Dear friends,

I have been inspired by remarkable works of friends at GetDPI and it is about time for me to move up to the next level of photography and to maximize my IQ 180.
    I only do landscape photography and use Phase One 28mm, Schneider 55mm LS, 80mm LS, 150mm LS, Mamiya 75-150mm, and 300mm. I've used 28mm and 55mm a lot.
    I would like to get your expert opinions regarding 3 best lenses for a view camera and Phase One IQ 180. Your advices will be greatly appreciated as always. This is certainly the best place in the planet to get this information.

Thank you very much.
    Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much friends for your invaluable advices. These are information I cannot get anywhere else besides the GetDPi community.
    I know Jack use RM3D which have built-in tilt and shift. Do the lenses in the focal length like 23, 28, 32,, 35, 40, 43 mm need TS if the camera is Cambo?
    I truly appreciate your comments.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rodie 23, 70 and 120 macro!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are the comments I'd love to hear.
    I would like to know which ones are the best. I can build up the system slowly, one at a time. I have the same problem as you do with my wife so I have to be very careful.
    Is SK 35 XL useable or I should not consider at all?
    Thank you so much Guy!
    Pramote
    Thank you very much friends for your invaluable advices. These are information I cannot get anywhere else besides the GetDPi community.
    I know Jack use RM3D which have built-in tilt and shift. Do the lenses in the focal length like 23, 28, 32,, 35, 40, 43 mm need TS if the camera is Cambo?
    Pramote
    No TS and Doug correct me for the Cambo. No 23,28,35. Honestly I focused the 28 at 6ft and got infinity at F11. I adviced folks not until you get to the 40 do you really need it. At least that is my thinking. But I believe the 32 does but I have not tried it in TS. But I did not need it when I tested it. Ed Cooley may have better advice on the 32 since he has been shooting it for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Double quotes, IPad took over on me sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote
    If I were shooting a Cambo instead of the Arca, I would 1) get the same exact 4 lenses, and 2) would have every one in a TS mount that can be put in a TS mount. I think the 32 Rodie is the shortest lens you can get in Cambo TS mount.

FWIW, I did get a chance to shoot with the Cambo on our recent DV workshop. I had specifically asked for the 40TS lens so I could make a direct comparison to shooting the Cambo and my Arca. At the end of the day, I achieved perfectly focused and composed images with both systems inside one or two minutes. The main differences were that the Arca allows for more precise tilt and focus settings and holds them better than the Cambo. The Cambo is more compact and a little faster to initially set up and get general focus. My two main Cambo nits are 1) I hit the rise/fall adjustment knob with my right thumb as I grab the camera and it changes adjustment, and 2) you do not have a direct rise/fall or shift readouts from the rear of the camera. You do get direct readouts on the sides and top, and do have un-numbered hash lines from the rear.

Hope that helps,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

No love for the Rodie 90HR?

I've 43XL, 90HR, 120N.

The 90 is an amazing lens and the IC is huge. Great for stitches but its a bit of a beast and heavy for landscape work.

I tested the 43XL and 40HR and there was zero difference IQ wise between the two, both amazingly sharp but like Jack mentioned, flare was a real problem on the Rodie.... Real PITA!
    Overcast skyes caused flare on the Rodie but the Schneider just soildered on. A lens shade is a must with that particular lens and more to carry on location... Worth mentioning I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

At risk of stirring the pot more, here is what I've settled on:
    43xl, 70HR, SK150. But I like lenses a bit longer than most. As Doug pointed out, it depends on whether you are carrying another kit for the longer lenses, which I am not.

I have a 4th, the 100HR-S. But what I would really like as a 4th lens is a 110mm with a decent image circle.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

using a 36x48 sensor... my lens kit is 28HR, 35XL, 45ASD, 55ASD, 90HR

but, if i want to upgrade to a 180, only the 55 and the 90 are up to the task !

i then will go probably with 32 rod, 60xl, 90HR

you can find the 90HR and the 55 apo sironar digital for a good price in second hand... they are all really good at F11 even on a 180, and they are nearly distortion free !

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cambo mounted lenses available with TS are listed at the bottom of this page:
    Cambo Wide :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

23HR is not available in TS. 28HR, 32HR, and 40HR are available in TS.

Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much! Wow! A lot of useful information to digest.
    I really appreciate everyone.

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Cambo mounted lenses available with TS are listed at the bottom of this page:
    Cambo Wide :: Capture Integration Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

23HR is not available in TS. 28HR, 32HR, and 40HR are available in TS.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Damn I was wrong on the 28 my bad, sorry.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In answer to the 90 HR-W performance I'd have to rate it as probably as sharp as my 35XL on my IQ160. No problems with full range of movements on the IQ160 either and I pretty much don't need an LCC either. It is a big chunk of glass but it's very sharp across the whole image circle. I've not heard of any issues with it with the iq180 either.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do 23HR, 28HR, 32HR need center filters?
    Only Doug and Rob recommend 23HR. Does anyone has experience or opinion about this lens?

Thanks
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great lens very wide. Very limited movements 3mm rise and fall. Sharp , sharp, sharp. CF would help it but I shoot the 160 so on the 180 I would recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here HR 23 on IQ 160 No Center Filter but LCC applied

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do 23HR, 28HR, 32HR need center filters?
    Only Doug and Rob recommend 23HR. Does anyone has experience or opinion about this lens?
    I've come to recommend center filters on every lens that has them. If you have a CF you can always take one off when you can't afford the loss of exposure (e.g. you're already at 1 minutes of exposure at dusk). But if you don't have a CF you can't easily put one on!

Use of a CF is most beneficial when using the outside of the image circle.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, very nice shot.

Can you share, the shutter speed and aperture you used? Also did you have any polarizer in use on the shot?

Thanks
    Paul

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Guy & Doug!
    The picture is truly amazing Guy!
    How is it compared to 28 HR and 32HR?
    Can the pictures be stitched? I have Canon 17mm TS and love it.

Thanks very much!
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

23 and 28 HR's do not have enough IC to flat stitch on a full frame sensor. The 32HR does have significantly more IC and can probably stitch cleanly to around +/- 12mm
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a guide showing the size of the image circle of the relevant lenses:

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Jack & Doug! I can't imagine how much I've learnt in the past several hours.
    Do you think 23HR and 40HR (or SK43) would be a good combination for wide angle side, 23 HR for a single short and 40HR for stitching? If you disagree, 28 HR is better?
    I've thought about having Nikon D800e to use with tele along with the Tech Cam. I probably will keep P1 DF to be a stand alone system.

Thanks.
    Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 19th February 2012 at 10:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    23 and 28 HR's do not have enough IC to flat stitch on a full frame sensor. The 32HR does have significantly more IC and can probably stitch cleanly to around +/- 12mm
    Exactly my friend. 12 was good on my 160 maybe a touch more. But let's be honest here these lenses like the 23,28 and even the 32. These are wide lenses and wanting to to stitch them would be very rare especially the 23 it's a equivalent to a 17mm on a 35 DSLR . That is really wide, more what i want out of these is rise and fall to get things OFF the horizon mainly, same with interiors. From my use the 23 will do 3mm the 28mm will do 6 or 7 and the 32 around 12mm in the rise and fall and for me that is my determining factor. A 28mm for me would eliminate my 35mm, so I would wind up with 28, 60 and 120. Now i am also fighting the money issue. The want here would be a 23 ,32, 60 and 120. The question I know Jack and I bounce off each other is how much use versus cost will we get out of the 23. Since you can stitch the 32 some with the back in vertical position you can do a two shot and gain some wider focal length. This I have not tried but again you have to stitch and that is always a concern with wind and such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Guy, very nice shot.

Can you share, the shutter speed and aperture you used? Also did you have any polarizer in use on the shot?

Thanks
    Paul
    I think I put a ND in front of it. I will check my shutter speed it maybe right there in the EXIF if you download it . My bet F11 or 13

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now as far as sharpness detail out of the 23, 28 and 32 they are all stellar. On that level anyone will work. I want at least one of them and for me the 28 is a nice focal length and I can get some rise and fall out of it which I want. I never yet have shot a image on a tech cam I did not have some when camera is perfectly level which BTW you don't always have to be given the subject matter of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't read everything, but I have a IQ180 and a tech camera. I use the 32mm, 40mm, 70mm, 90mm all from Rodenstock. All of them are amazing. I know that the 32 is especially expensive, but is is a great lens. The biggest question is how wide you want to go. If the 32 is needed for your work. I can really recommend all 4 lenses and it is more a choice of what focal length you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now as far as sharpness detail out of the 23, 28 and 32 they are all stellar. On that level anyone will work. I want at least one of them and for me the 28 is a nice focal length and I can get some rise and fall out of it which I want. I never yet have shot a image on a tech cam I did not have some when camera is perfectly level which BTW you don't always have to be given the subject matter of course.
    Guy - if I'm not mistaken, with your IQ160 sensor (40x54mm) the HR 28 only allows 2mm shifts fall/rise or left/right - not a whole lot . This from the Alpa site.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Correct I have nothing when sensor is horizontal but in vertical mode for stitch I have some room on either side of zero. Actually in Doug's chart it would be nice to see a vertical single frame superimposed over the horizontal so you can see that. It won't be much my guess 5mm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great question and one I need to follow closely in the coming months.

My long time 3-lens kit for my Cambo WRS has been 35, 72, and 120 all SK. I've had no problems using this trio with a P45+ or P65+. It looks as if I decide to upgrade to the IQ180 I'll be facing problems with my 35 which is a real dilemma for me as I use it a lot. My choice is either waiting to see if a fix is on the way, or switching to the IQ 160 which is very doable or stick it out with the P65+. Of the three choices I see me with the second.

By the way - I had a 28mm for a very short while and found I couldn't get any shits past 2mm and that was using the P45+.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes in these wides stitching is really really limited until you get to the 32mm. On these super wides it's the rise and fall you get a little elbow room. Don't forget also you can crop to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are a couple tricks though you can Pan stitch. And helll you need more rise than the lens can give than take it the rest if the way tilting the camera up and use the very well designed keystone tool in C1. These are a few work arounds if you need them. One image previous I pan stitched the 60 horizontal. Worked nice too

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Guy for your kind sharing this information. It is extremely helpful.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very good thread folks. Lots of useful data

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is great about these forums is you can learn about techniques you never would have thought about. I was looking to try and generate a true pano from a shift on a P65+, but most of the lenses seem to range to 8mm to 12mm, with 15mm being the real max. To me, for a pano, I feel that 18mm to 20mm is needed at minimum with the camera in the landscape orientation. Sure you can rotate the back 90 degrees and get 3 portrait oriented frames, and create a huge 2:3 landscape image with a lot of extra resolution, but not a real pano, not with 12mm of shift left and right. Unless you crop into your image and turn it into a 1:3 ratio.

As to the need for rise and fall, I fully understand the needs, but for shifting with 5mm, even 10mm is not enough to me is not enough if you are after a pano especially with the big wides 28mm or 23mm even 32. If I am after a pano I most times will just find nodal (it's doable even on the 28) and pan stitch. I realize as Guy pointed out, the big minus here is you have to be level and many times that just is not going to happen.

Back in 2005 when Zork Made their adapters that allowed a user to place a medium format lens on a 35mm camera, I was an early adopter, here you could get 18mm of full shift and depending on the lens, very little fall off or smearing at the edges. For me 18mm to each side is just beginning to get to a pano. The Zork was great in that you could have the camera in any orientation and still shift only the camera body (with simple mods) thus similar to how the tech camera operates.

These ultra wides from Rodenstock are amazing in how they hold the details to the edge of the frame. But for shifting, the 60mm Schneider is where I really start to push, as on a 60mp Phase you can go to 30mm and use about 90% to 92% of that stitch. The 60mm at 30mm left and 20mm right on Arca is really amazing and begins to look like a pano. You have to use a L bracket like the ones from Really Right Stuff to rotate the Acra so now your rise and fall become your shift.

Paul Caldwell