The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

vieri

Sunset in Riomaggiore, le Cinque Terre

Back from Death Valley, while I am processing the hundreds of images gotten during my Workshops there I thought I'd post a little sunset study from Riomaggiore, in le Cinque Terre:

Leica S (007), Leica Summarit-S 35mm, 8 sec @ f/8. Best,

Vieri

stngoldberg

This lovely lady is a landscape worker in our community. My wife and I passed by her raking a flower bed; my wife noted how beautiful she is and suggested I ask her permission to take her portrait.
She was petrified, and I could not get her to smile!

Stanley

stngoldberg

I think you are right...I wanted to coach her to turn her head slightly and change the sun angle..but there was no way..I printed a copy for her and I will try to find her tomorrow
Stanley

D&A

Stanley, sometimes portraits like this are alluring. The smile is just enough to keep the viewer wondering about her mood since it can be interpreted many ways.

There are elements in this image that work. Its not about a perfect pose or lighting but simply the image of the individual which has a combination of being both lovely with some mystique. Thats sort of the same combination that was involved in Steve McCurry's image of the Afgan woman. He had her eyes, you have her mouth/smile for ones interpretation...in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

stngoldberg

Hi Dave,
When I first saw her raking the flower beds with her bandana around her face, I thought of the Steve McCurray portrait. I am a huge admirer of his and have collected all of his books.
However after I asked her to allow me to photograph her, I concentrated on focus and aperture trying to blow out the background which I later painted black.
Her smile was her reaction to my request, but I'm not sure she understood English.
Her coworkers were standing around and she was extremely uncomfortable.
I only was able to take four quick images.
Steve McCurray is a genius; I just got lucky.
Stanley

D&A

No, you were not lucky...you saw something and tried to work with it. Steve Mccurry on his 2nd portrait of the Afgan woman years later after searching for her was something I believe he had to work at too.

My personal thought is dont worry about all the technical details and simply try to put her in a situation where she is relaxed and at ease and let the chips fall where they may.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Leica S 007, 30-90 @ 30mm, f/11, 1/125s, ISO 100.

I had a blast photographing these penguins, moving quickly, at times laying on the ground.
In two words...Love it! :thumbs: Lets just say "It's Another day at the Beach"! Hmm you mentioned..."at times laying on the ground". One question...who? You or the penguins or BOTH? :)

Dave (D&A)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My, this place is getting harder to post to all the time. Wonderful images!

We had a snowstorm yesterday. I do better with a normal lens in those conditions - no idea why - so this is the Leica S(006) and 70 Summarit.

The Great Lawn

The El Dorado Looming

--Matt

vieri

Symmetries at Playa Ballota, Spain

Just as the title says: Symmetries at Playa Ballota, Spain.

Leica S (007), Leica Summarit-S 35mm. Best,

Vieri

DB5

I was doing Behind the Scenes at a shoot of Ghost Army veterans at the Penumbra Foundation Tintype Studio. The Ghost Army was a WWII unit that made, among other things, inflatable tanks and had sound recordings of divisions on the move that would convince enemy reconnaissance that forces were in the wrong place. Since the tintypes called for something older than digital, I shot some film (Mamiya 7II, 65mm f/4, HP5+). Here is John Jarvie waiting for the collodion:

And the cliche-but-how-can-you-resist Fulton St. Subway station shot - I've tried this many times (unsatisfactorily) with digital, and this time it worked.

Best,

Matt
A spectacular and masterful portrait sir, will done. And a wonderful and intriguing back story which fascinates me.

And so much better for it being on film. Sometimes I think I should just forget this digital rat race and go back to film.

Thank you for sharing this.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
DB5,

Thank you for those extremely kind words. The great advantage of shooting Behind the Scenes is that someone else, in this case the photographer Mark Mann, sets up the lighting, talks with the subject, sets the mood, and I get to "steal his light" - with permission, but still...

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.