The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

The Watchman, Zion National Park, Utah
XF-IQ3100, SK 40-80BR @ 65mm, ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/15s

A total icon shot that's been done a million times but I still had to take it since I hadn't before... :)
EJ, you can count me in that million previous attempts. I've stood on that bridge several times at sunset hoping to get a decent image. It's the only photo op I know that has spaces marked on the pavement for people to set up their tripods or stand. If this was your first attempt, you aced the test. If it was your 999,999th attempt, you still aced the test. Well done. :thumbup:

Joe

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A couple of pictures from the X1D ... early morning ... to hot here to be out if you do not need to be.

Hasselblad X1D 4116

Regards,

Bob

dave.gt

GF 63mm:

The black Swan by Mark, on Flickr

GF 110mm:

No luck today by Mark, on Flickr
Marc,

How many times have I ever seen a photo of a black swan on a forum? Zero is the answer, IIRC, and it is the answer as to how many times I have seen a black swan in real life. Sometimes it is beyond our understanding how a simple photograph can render meaning to another person. It strikes a resonance somewhere and one notices not only the beauty of the photograph but also the symbolism behind it or elements within it.

Perhaps the beauty and symbolic purity of the white swan is what catches my eye initially, but it is the unexpected black swan, the outlier, that resonates with me. Black swans are symbolic of the deep mysteries within but also are symbolic of the unexpected, and, I think of the power of a single entity to change our perception of the photograph, or, indeed everything.

That is why I have found this forum to be of great interest to me.. there are so many wonderful images from very talented photographers. Each image causes me to pause and look deeper. It is true that each photograph tells a story. Thank you for sharing this one, it is a nice start to my day as I arise very early to spend quiet time for reflections and contemplations.

Now to get back to work! :):):)

Don Libby

Don.... it's so enlightening to see you working with the GFX and the assortment of lenses I would purchase if tempted enough. Great B&W conversion. Maybe wrong forum but if you could comment on the Zoom it would be appreciated.

Regards.....

Victor
There really isn't much to say about either the zoom or the other lenses other than they all perform great. Right now my GFX lens stable include the 23, 32-64, 64, 120 and an older Mamiya 200 APO. I've had no issues with any and all produce great if I do my part.

Thanks for asking. I'm back home and currently working on a blog discussing Silo City and the GFX.

Mark C

Marc,

How many times have I ever seen a photo of a black swan on a forum? Zero is the answer, IIRC, and it is the answer as to how many times I have seen a black swan in real life. Sometimes it is beyond our understanding how a simple photograph can render meaning to another person. It strikes a resonance somewhere and one notices not only the beauty of the photograph but also the symbolism behind it or elements within it.

Perhaps the beauty and symbolic purity of the white swan is what catches my eye initially, but it is the unexpected black swan, the outlier, that resonates with me. Black swans are symbolic of the deep mysteries within but also are symbolic of the unexpected, and, I think of the power of a single entity to change our perception of the photograph, or, indeed everything.

That is why I have found this forum to be of great interest to me.. there are so many wonderful images from very talented photographers. Each image causes me to pause and look deeper. It is true that each photograph tells a story. Thank you for sharing this one, it is a nice start to my day as I arise very early to spend quiet time for reflections and contemplations.

Now to get back to work! :):):)
Thanks for your reply Dave and you're very welcome :) One of the reasons I enjoy photography is getting the opportunity to share my images with others. To hear that you've enjoyed seeing what I've posted makes it worthwhile for me. I couldn't tell you how many times I've posted an image onto a forum (not this one I'm pleased to say!) then found it's had hundreds of views and no one has had anything to say about it. It's not a matter of looking for praise either, if someone replied that they didn't like one of my images and then gave constructive reasons why, I'd certainly listen. I think there are a lot of people who could give constructive feedback but don't for fear of causing unintended offence. It is difficult when not knowing the recipient, hard to know how they're going to take it. For me FWIW, 45+ years of taking pictures and I'm still learning every day, especially when it comes to processing digital images, I can wile away hours doing that - much to my wifes annoyance!

Mark.

Don Libby

Don:

I'm just SW of Buffalo. What other areas did you visit? If you haven't already, take in the Richardson complex and the Central Terminal if you have a chance. Were you impacted by the tornadoes that passed through?

Tom
Made it into Canada one day but sadly not to the train station. I did a Google and found I couldn't get inside without going thru mountains of red tape.

M

mjr

Afternoon!

A couple of quick portrait shots from the last week, we hardly ever see portraits in this fun with thread!

dave.gt

Afternoon!

A couple of quick portrait shots from the last week, we hardly ever see portraits in this fun with thread!

Nice, Mat!!! What is your lighting setup?

Tomorrow is our first pro bono Portraits of Healing outdoor photo shoots for the summer at Emory University Rehabilitation Hospital.

Lovely portraits there, thanks for posting!:)

M

mjr

Thanks Dave.

Lighting couldn't be simpler, 1 very large softbox camera left, 1 white reflector, camera right, both in close to the subject, easy!

Good luck with your shoot tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Mat

dave.gt

Thanks Dave.

Lighting couldn't be simpler, 1 very large softbox camera left, 1 white reflector, camera right, both in close to the subject, easy!

Good luck with your shoot tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Mat
My that is perfect. I have a question for you... How close can I get to the subject with a 3x4 softbox and 1/800 shutter speed to darken the ambient lighting? I have been using 10' at full power on the Move 1200... but not happy yet.

Can't wait to post results here.

M

mjr

That's not an easy question to answer specifically, what I do for outdoor portraits with high ambient light is start at the beginning with the aperture I want for the look I am aiming for, then the shutter speed to control the ambient and get it where I want it, then the flash to balance the exposure on the subject, same as any situation really. I will put a softbox as close as possible to the subject if it's a tight headshot like these, in my case both softbox and reflector are within 1m of the subject. I want soft light though for both of these so being in close allows the light source to be very big in relation to the subject so very soft.

Also remember that light falloff is pretty sharp so if the situation allows, it's better to get in closer with the light rather than turning up the power from a distance. Your size softbox at that distance will be giving you quite hard light so if that's what you are going for then maybe look at a different light modifier to increase the light. There are many variables so trial and error is the way forward, if you're not sure, get there in good time and with someone who is happy to sit whilst you get set up. I'm sure there will be others who use different methods, as long as you get the result you like then it's all good.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.