The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.gt

gcap,

Thank you for your posts, and thank you for reminding us of the efficacy of a format that I have not used in such a long time. Your beautiful images are stunning with the color, crispness, and the "look" as your images using Provia clearly demonstrate. You have inspired me!

If I can find a break, I will follow through with some slide film in the 503. I really miss that experience.. :):):)

gcap

gcap,

Thank you for your posts, and thank you for reminding us of the efficacy of a format that I have not used in such a long time. Your beautiful images are stunning with the color, crispness, and the "look" as your images using Provia clearly demonstrate. You have inspired me!

If I can find a break, I will follow through with some slide film in the 503. I really miss that experience.. :):):)
Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your kind words. Film, especially in bigger formats, continues to be a wonderful medium.

Giovanni

ejpeiker

Here is one of Shiprock in the four corners area of New Mexico I took last night just before sunset...
XF-IQ3100, SK 75-150BR @ 150mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1/13s

NM_Shiprock01.jpg

stngoldberg

Nicely done. Curious as to what system and lens used. Thanks.
Phase One 100mpx back with H5DX body and the HC 50-100 lens at 110mm at f9.5. Don’t recall the Shutter speed but it was in excess of 1/350 of a second.
I remember the ISO at 100...used a tripod and mirror up
BTW I sincerely thank everyone for the “likes”
Stanley

Shashin

I had posted this image earlier. I speculated the loss of foliage was caused by Hurricane Irma.

I went out to the same field tonight.

This would be a little over a month Irma came through.

(Plus 6-stops of ND)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Darlene,

That is really beautiful, naturally beautiful. Colors and shadows in delicious light. You have captured my favorite time of day with a bit of genius in placing the palm tree in the perfect position. How could it be any other way? Perfect!:):):)

I truly believe when an image is this "perfect", you have really bonded with the scene, and it is not possible to improve the result. Well done!

darr

Darlene,

That is really beautiful, naturally beautiful. Colors and shadows in delicious light. You have captured my favorite time of day with a bit of genius in placing the palm tree in the perfect position. How could it be any other way? Perfect!:):):)

I truly believe when an image is this "perfect", you have really bonded with the scene, and it is not possible to improve the result. Well done!
Thank you Dave! You are very kind. This photo was made at St. Marks NWR between bodies of water that connect downstream. The land area I was on is small and surrounded by water on three sides. I think it is not hard to capture the "twilight" feel at this spot because there are no lights and it gets dark quickly as the sun goes down. I made a point of looking over my shoulder every now and then for gators because they are there all around in the marsh. It was quiet until a fish jumped from the water doing a somersault, and I figured he was a gator's meal, but most else was calm. There were some BIG bugs flying round and I dressed in a hoodie just for them. I do enjoy marshes and the nature they nurture. :)

dave.gt

Thank you Dave! You are very kind. This photo was made at St. Marks NWR between bodies of water that connect downstream. The land area I was on is small and surrounded by water on three sides. I think it is not hard to capture the "twilight" feel at this spot because there are no lights and it gets dark quickly as the sun goes down. I made a point of looking over my shoulder every now and then for gators because they are there all around in the marsh. It was quiet until a fish jumped from the water doing a somersault, and I figured he was a gator's meal, but most else was calm. There were some BIG bugs flying round and I dressed in a hoodie just for them. I do enjoy marshes and the nature they nurture. :)
Wow, gators and bugs.. impending darkness. I can honestly say that you have become one in your living in the mindfulness of capture mode! Impressive! I have been around marshes in the past while in Florida and I could not concentrate on shooting because of the distraction of gator watching!

And yet, you have shared a very beautiful image of a moment in time in a serene setting surrounded by scaly danger...:):):)

darr

Wow, gators and bugs.. impending darkness. I can honestly say that you have become one in your living in the mindfulness of capture mode! Impressive! I have been around marshes in the past while in Florida and I could not concentrate on shooting because of the distraction of gator watching!

And yet, you have shared a very beautiful image of a moment in time in a serene setting surrounded by scaly danger...:):):)
If necessary, my tripod will become a baseball bat as I run to the car which is only yards away! ;)

M

mjr

Afternoon!

I woke up to winter this morning, just a quick grab shot from the hill above my house.

JohnBrew

Mat, shee-it! that looks cold. We just had our first cool front of the season and the temp dropped to 48 degrees and my wife and I were reaching for the sweaters.
We may be a bit spoiled :cool:.

M

mjr

Actually it's not that cold John, only -5c or so, will be much much colder soon! First bit of snow is always nice but will be bored of it in a few months for sure!

Cheers

Mat

dave.gt

This thread is entitled "Fun with MF images" and the spirit of this thread is in the first word...FUN!

Life has its small blessings from time to time and last evening, I was able to work out my complicated logistics and meet up with Todd (tcdeveau) once again for some badly needed camera time. For those of you who have not met Todd in person, you are missing an opportunity to get to know one of the finest people I have ever met. He has been both an inspiration and a mentor in the short time we have been getting together for some Deep South medium format FUN!

FUN can also include the little mishaps... in my case, I started the day out buying $30 worth of gas to make the trek into Atlanta twice. I forgot to pump the gas and drove off...:bugeyes: Then, I picked up a 50mm lens from CI... wow! I couldn't wait to finish our day at the hospital and head into town to meet with Todd for a downtown skyline shoot. I forgot that I needed to double check my newly acquired NISI filter holder with a CPL. Running late, I picked up another friend down the street to join us. He tried valiantly to remove the 67mm adaptor in order to put on the 77mm adaptor but it was frozen solid! No way to use the CPL... no matter, I found this morning that it is missing! Lost somewhere in the car or dropped and forever gone.

NO FEAR! Todd was kind enough to help me out with his Lee filters and pulled out different filters at different times and altogether, I have a few dozen exposures to play with this weekend!
Thanks, Todd! I learned a lot in the process and it has made all the difference in a trying day...:thumbs:

Here is one image quickly done in Phocus, then LR...

Atlanta Downtown Skyline Color Vignette getDPI.jpg

And a quick look at a B/W much later:
Atlanta Downtown Skyline bwVignette getDPI.JPG

Last edited:

D&A

Beautiful Dave. I have a soft spot for cityscapes (myself being the product of the big city), especially taken at dusk. The vehicle light trails add life to the image as well as the transitional color of the sky. I personally favor the color image in this case. This takes me back to my youth when I just obtained my drivers licence and drove out 30 miles from the city (NYC) just after sunset and found some small hardly used backroads that lead to some marshland.

I then took out my tripod and Pentax Spotmatic and stepped into the polluted water and fired away at the two borough bridges in the foreground (relative) and the NYC skyline behind them. Spent many a cold winters night (the only time of year where pollution in the air was minimal and clear skies prevailed) shooting this scene. Digital capture at the time was the figment of someones imagination, much like the prediction of flying cars. :)

Bravo Dave!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.