The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

Monument Valley shot. I am sure this has been done before but it was still great fun shooting this spot.
Wow! Love that one, it is totally different than I have seen before! :)
Thanks Dave. I thought it was a well known spot. The SW has been shot so much its hard to keep track.
Beautiful image! The skies didn't cooperate so much the morning I was there for sunrise, although the view got a bit more interesting when a wild horse came over to graze.

Totem Pole at first light, Monument Valley
by John Ngai, on Flickr

501CM | Zeiss 250SA | IQ160 | two image vertical stitch
Continuing in the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" category, here's my attempt at sunrise at The Totem Pole and Yei Bi Chei rock formations some years ago.

I love each one of the images by Steven and John, and getting back to Monument Valley is on my bucket list.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Morning

We had some pretty intense aurora here last night, fog rolled in and out with really bright lights above, moon came up at the right time and illuminated everything too. A couple of random shots.

Mat, the first shot is absolutely magical. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

bcambern

Re: Moody Talisker Bay, Isle of Skye

Beautiful shot Vieri! Also, just reading the word "Talisker" made me thirsty ;)

Moody Talisker Bay, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, after sunset. Taken during one of my Workshops on Skye last spring with the Leica S (Typ 007), the Leica 35mm Summarit-S and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

M

mjr

I've been having a mess around, I shoot a huge amount in black and white but strangely I've never looked at aurora shots before, probably because it's such a beautiful sight and the colours we often see are amazing that I've never thought about it. Until tonight!

Anyone care to offer an opinion? This becomes much more graphic, I sort of like it, but not sure if it loses more than it gains. Just for fun, feel free to tell me to stop mucking about it's utter crap or if you think it's interesting!

You may be able to tell I'm a little bored tonight.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Great! Much eerier than color. Of course, the color is ACTUALLY scarier, but we're used to it :)

--Matt

M

mjr

Thanks Matt, it has its charm but I'm not convinced, may try with a more shapely aurora!

Cheers

Mat

mristuccia

I've been having a mess around, I shoot a huge amount in black and white but strangely I've never looked at aurora shots before, probably because it's such a beautiful sight and the colours we often see are amazing that I've never thought about it. Until tonight!

Anyone care to offer an opinion? This becomes much more graphic, I sort of like it, but not sure if it loses more than it gains. Just for fun, feel free to tell me to stop mucking about it's utter crap or if you think it's interesting!

I prefer the BW one. Besides being more graphic, black and white always creates some sort of distance from reality that I like a lot. :)

Quentin_Bargate

Superb.

D&A

Mat, I like both the color and B&W versions for different reasons. The color one is what most expect to see, much like the capture of a colorful rainbow and the visual beauty is certainly evident.

A (the) B&W rendering in my opinion puts the focus more on the structure, form and shapes of the elements of the image (along with the accompanied environment) ... quite different emphasis from the color version. It's not that one or the other is better, just different. All of this is subjective of course and I'm sure each will have their own preferences and opinions as to why. Lovely captures!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

stevenfr

That is really nice Steven, real presence, reminds me of my old 5"x4" neg. prints. I like!
This was shot with the Phase One XF IQ3 100. The files convert beautifully to B&W. They are smooth but sharp if that makes sense.

Thank you for your feedback.

AlanS

No, it makes perfect sense. I have struggled in the digital world to get the tonality that I was used to from 5x4 and to some extent I can achieve it. But the look is another thing! It seems to me that high resolution has a part to play as well. I continue in my quest but your equipment is far out of my reach I am afraid.

dave.gt

Darr,

Those are absolutely delicious colors and the textures and contrasts are lovely. This is a great example of Autumn art with its simplicity and color!:):):)

M

mjr

I agree with Dave, Darr, that's such a beautiful shot, colours are fantastic.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.