The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Juergen: I use http://meinfilmlab.de here in Germany, scans are really good. They increased prices recently though.
Hello Ralf

I have not heard from you since "ages" . Good to see you are alive .
I have your given address still in mind , but was looking for a lab nearer to my place . Like STUDIO13 in Stuttgart .
But the last process of some films was very bad and returned with a lot of dust and dirt on the films .
Today they are mostly doing LF prints (analog and digital) and framing , lamination on aluminium and acrylglas .
I will recheck http://meinfilmlab.de .

dave.gt

Steven,

Love the fog amongst the birch trees! I have been on the lookout lately for the rare fog events around here, but none so far. December usually has a better chance of presenting a good fog around our lake. No birches here but lowly pine trees will do. Thanks for the inspiration!:):)

stevenfr

Dave

The Smokyies gets lots of fog.

Steven

Steven,

Love the fog amongst the birch trees! I have been on the lookout lately for the rare fog events around here, but none so far. December usually has a better chance of presenting a good fog around our lake. No birches here but lowly pine trees will do. Thanks for the inspiration!:):)

Last edited:

Deltona

Another early start, frost and clear skies promised, but oh no beaten by the weather. So tried something a little different.

Pentax 645z 35mm and headtorch

_IMG4719-Edit.jpg

darr

Darlene,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on shooting film in today's digital world. I confess that I haven't stepped into a darkroom in many decades. After a brief stint a few years ago with shooting square on my old Hasselblads (farming out the processing to a local lab and "scanning" the transparencies with my Nikon), one thing led to another and I jumped into the medium format digital world. I've kept the old film magazines in good working order and have been thinking more and more about using them on my Cambo, much as you do with your Alpa. Reading your post and seeing some of your images is moving me closer to action in this regard!

In terms of digitizing the negative, recently I digitized some old negatives using my Hassy with an IQ160 back and 120 Makro-Planar lens. The setup is admittedly kludgy and entails hanging the camera from a tripod over a light box. The negative is held flat with an Omega 4x5 enlarger glass plate that I bought from the scraps bin at an old local camera store in San Francisco before they finally went out of business. Getting the camera aligned to the lightbox is tricky so it's a slow process to say the least. If I were to make this more routine I'd get a copy stand for a more robust solution. Still, for my occasional playing around, it's good enough. Below is a scan of a negative from 40 years ago; the original print is hanging on my wall. I'm frankly amazed at how good my younger self was at producing archival negatives and prints!

John
Hi John,

I like your image very much and hope you do consider running some film through those magazines.

I had a copy stand that I sold on eBay about ten years ago. It was made by Bessler and it did okay for a 35mm, but I would not put my MF gear on it. After thinking about digitizing film, I remembered the old Polaroid Daylab I used back in the 80s to do Polaroid transfers onto watercolor paper. The bottom half of the unit makes me think someone with good woodworking skills could build a box similar for their camera and macro lens to sit on, while a light box is framed in from the bottom. The light box would have a frame to hold the film securely down. I have saved some film holders from a few Microtek film scanners just for putting something like this together someday.

Polaroid Daylab

Then there is the Hasselblad 135 macro with bellows that I have. I think that too could have some type of film holder made for it.

I do not think any of this type of precision is easy, just thinking outloud!
It has been a pleasure meeting you! :)

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

Darr

Thank you very much for your detailed answer . Very much appreciated . I can find a lot of my thoughts in your words . I had a MICROTEK Artixscan F1 , but disliked scanning extremely and since I gave the scanner away , I did not shoot film anymore . I think its time to try again . You say , you use a HASSELBLAD filmback on your
ALPA TC . Good , but how do you transport the film ?
Still looking for a good LAB to develop film and do good scans .
Jürgen,

You need to use a 12 back or what I call a 12 C back; the one with the peep hole in it. You manually transport the film and watch for the frame number through the peep hole.
Thank goodness Hasselblad made them built like tanks!! :)

Darr

jng

Darr,

Thanks for your kind words and additional thoughts. I was thinking of taking a quick BTS iPhone shot of my film digitizing contraption but I suppose I was too immersed in the process. There are a number of slide holders made for digitizing 35mm slides with a macro lens, but anything Superslide size or larger would require shop skills that I don't possess! If I can clear out enough space in the house for my planned studio/man cave, I might just start shooting film again and get a sturdy copy stand to make the scanning process less tedious.

Nice meeting you as well!

John

Hi John,

I like your image very much and hope you do consider running some film through those magazines.

I had a copy stand that I sold on eBay about ten years ago. It was made by Bessler and it did okay for a 35mm, but I would not put my MF gear on it. After thinking about digitizing film, I remembered the old Polaroid Daylab I used back in the 80s to do Polaroid transfers onto watercolor paper. The bottom half of the unit makes me think someone with good woodworking skills could build a box similar for their camera and macro lens to sit on, while a light box is framed in from the bottom. The light box would have a frame to hold the film securely down. I have saved some film holders from a few Microtek film scanners just for putting something like this together someday.

Then there is the Hasselblad 135 macro with bellows that I have. I think that too could have some type of film holder made for it.

I do not think any of this type of precision is easy, just thinking outloud!
It has been a pleasure meeting you! :)

Kind regards,
Darr

dave.gt

Spring in the Smoky Mountains NP.

Steven
Thank you, Steven, for reminding me of the Winter transition to Spring. This reminds me of a book I made in January-March 2013, just for myself, as I walked daily among the early blooming trees in the Lullwater forest for solace at a difficult time. The end of a season always marks a new beginning.

Beautiful image. Much appreciated reminder.:)

Grayhand

Really like that one Ray! (who stole the lighthouse?). ^^^^^^^
Glad you liked it Alan!

Well, all photos in this serie was taken att Billuddens Nature Reserve.
In the first 3 photos, the lighthouse is an imposing structure at the horizon.
If you look really closely you will see it!

Some might say that using a 38mm lens on a medium format camera is not the best choice for documenting a lighthouse on the horizon :bugeyes:

But little do they know!!!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.