The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglouis

The GFX50s+32-64 is a perfectly reasonable 'walk around' combination for urban photography without the need for a tripod.

Old and New London Hospital - Stepney Way (cropped 1:1)

St Alphage High Walk, Barbican (dynamic range is good considering the foreground was mostly shadow)

M

mjr

Afternoon

I'm not a street photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but having picked up a new 45mm yesterday, I grabbed some shots on the walk back from the shop. The chaos of Hanoi!

Grayhand

Simply beautiful!!!
I would love to be there, it looks so relaxing...
Ray, well done. Love it!:):):)
Thanks Dave!

My main form of relaxing this time of the year is to walk in different brook canyons.
There is some times an almost magical feel to them.

Ray

Mark C

Members of the Tyne and Wear fire and rescue service carrying out a water safety drill on the river Tyne opposite the old Brett Oils factory. GFX + GF 110mm f2:

Water safety by Mark, on Flickr

Mark C

Here's one I'll post just as a discussion point. I normally use mechanical shutter only on my GFX, if I need faster than 1/8000 sec I'll either stop down the aperture or use a filter if I need more BG seperation. On this day though it was really bright when I was out with the camera and I had the 110mm f2 fitted. I decided to enable the electronic shutter to see what I'd get. The result made me laugh, one of the comments when I put this on the GFX page on facebook was exactly right, the person walking looks a bit like John Cleese doing his 'Ministry of Silly Walks' sketch! That and the curvature of the girders are of course caused by the rolling effect of the electronic shutter and Fuji even issues a disclaimer covering this point. So once I'd taken this shot and laughed at the result, electronic shutter back to switched off in the menu!
Anyone had similar and care to share?

Crossing II by Mark, on Flickr

drevil

Staff member
i think it would be better to create a dedicated "electronic shutter accidents" thread.

just talking for myself here, but in this thread i wanna see quality work :eek:

D

Deleted member 7792

Great Smoky Mountains National Park a couple of weeks ago. Rainy and misty day. Miserable for tourists but great for photographers. Rarely do I have conditions that allow a 16 sec. exposure with no leaf or flower petal movement. The dogwoods were at or near peak in Cades Cove and the Tremont area. This was taken along the Middle Prong of the Little River.

Joe

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I can understand slanted distortions, and curving of rotating lines, but how do you get curved girders from a rolling shutter? Does it roll from the middle?

Meanwhile, my S lenses came back from Wetzlar last week with their motors upgraded. Here's the view from our new offices with the S(007) and 24 Super Elmar

Best,

Matt

D&A

Matt, I don't see any evidence of rolling shutter artifacts in your image, but what about that stair stepping in the center of the frame? :)

Dave (D&A)

MGrayson

Matt, I don't see any evidence of rolling shutter artifacts in your image, but what about that stair stepping in the center of the frame? :)

Dave (D&A)
:)

Astonishing demosaicing artifact, isn't it?

But I was wondering about Mark C's beautiful bridge capture.... :cool:

--Matt

Shashin

I can understand slanted distortions, and curving of rotating lines, but how do you get curved girders from a rolling shutter? Does it roll from the middle?
Reversing camera movement from top to bottom? That would do it. But the rolling shutter effect could be interesting to recreate the famous Lartigue image of the speeding car that influenced comic depictions of speeding cars for generations, both in terms of the wheel shape, but also in the crowd body position.

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/44201

Created by a cloth focal plane shutter and panning the camera (the car is moving faster than the camera is panning).

I am going to have to play with my electronic shutter on my X Pro2.

MGrayson

That's precisely the linear distortion I was thinking of. But curvature of otherwise straight object happens with, e.g., horse lower limb rotation. Still can't see how a curved girder appears...

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.