The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.gt

One of the reasons I enjoy Medium Format, besides the wonderful people and awesome images on this forum, is the whole "problem-solving" thing. It strikes me, as I get older, that I really prefer things that are not easy because easy is boring. Problem-solving makes me feel more alive than ever and to make things even better, it allows me to actually enjoy lateral thinking as opposed to the vertical thinking that used to be hammered into my brain through multiple universities.

Part of my lateral-thinking is "whatever it takes". I have recently gone back to film in a big way with multiple formats. The Hasselblad 503cxi, as inexpensive as it is compared to the equipment used on this forum, requires a whole different skill set, and I find the process relaxing.

With my schedule this past year, I am just now getting around to processing some 120 film images and I find that the comparison with the H5D is interesting because the images are complementary, not comparable at all. The two cameras with 80mm lenses yield entirely different images, each with its own character and charm. Apologies for lower resolution... could not get it up to 300 for some reason... LOL, another problem to solve.

Hasselblad 503cxi, 80mm:
Woodland Tractor Wheel 2017 getdpi.jpg
Hasselblad 503cxi, 80mm:

tcdeveau

Had an escape weekend and went up to the north Georgia mountains this weekend to try and do nothing with my wife. Got in a little bit of shooting too!

Both with the X1D and 90mm and 45mm XCD respectively (I think). I tried using some reverse ND grad filters, but found the EVF/live view made it nearly impossible to figure out exactly where they were positioned. I guess another advantage of OVFs, but maybe someone out there has a solution. Thankfully with the dynamic range of the sensor I could expose for highlights and bring everything else up.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

4-29-18_0505.jpg4-29-18_0504.jpg

biglouis

What to do when you get a new lens but the weather is appalling (as it is in the UK today)?

Take a leaf (no pun intended) out of Quentin Bargate's book and photograph flowers in the rain.
In this case my wife's 'parrott' head tulips. I like the fact that in LR you can apply the Fuji film presets, in this case Velvia. Apart from cropping that is all I did then exported it to jpeg.

It is no great shakes but at least I got to try out the lens. Next stop, England's South Down for some landscape photography as soon as the weather clears up.

Fuji GFX50s, Fujinon 32-64/4, iso160 64mm f4.0 1/250

dave.gt

What to do when you get a new lens but the weather is appalling (as it is in the UK today)?

Take a leaf (no pun intended) out of Quentin Bargate's book and photograph flowers in the rain.
In this case my wife's 'parrott' head tulips. I like the fact that in LR you can apply the Fuji film presets, in this case Velvia. Apart from cropping that is all I did then exported it to jpeg.

It is no great shakes but at least I got to try out the lens. Next stop, England's South Down for some landscape photography as soon as the weather clears up.

Fuji GFX50s, Fujinon 32-64/4, iso160 64mm f4.0 1/250
Beautiful, Louis! Yes, that is exactly what you do, you shoot anyway! Thanks for posting because that is what I did the last rain:

Trailing Vinca in the rain
Hasselblad H5D, 80mm lens+Nikon Closeup Filters:
Vinca 1 Macro FINAL.jpg

Mark C

Taken from the centre of the Gateshead Millennium bridge, this is the view looking west up the river Tyne towards the bridges which join Gateshead to Newcastle. GFX + Gf 45mm:

Along the Tyne by Mark, on Flickr

Paul2660

[/url]Flatside springtime Arkansas no2 2018 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]

4 part horizontal pano, Fuji GFX and 32-64 at 32mm. LR and Topaz Clarity used in post. LR also used for stitching. Flickr as usual has added more sharpening. Lots of green as we are at the peak of Spring here. 20 to 30mph winds blowing on summit where this was taken. I was able to easily hand hold the Fuji for many series. Wonderful camera albeit some really strange features.

Paul Caldwell

dave.gt

Just watching shadows on the wall as I type these words. It is amazing watching the sunrise each morning as I have done every morning from my same viewpoint since... 2008? It is amazing how fast the shadows move and yet one can not really see them move. It is truly fascinating.

Each season I watch the leaves and flowers as they burst forth and fade away. This Spring is no different.

I eagerly await the images posted here and I am humbled by the beauty captured. And I want to participate, but the chains of reality restrain me. Whether it be the tethers of lack of opportunity or responsibilities of life, I long for the "next image".

Our pro bono work lasted a year. It is now over. What now?

The shadows on the wall. I will be working on a project one day that includes those shadows. But for now, I can only offer an inadequate, most likely inordinate, view of what my eyes see in our little rose garden. In light of the awesome images posted here, I hesitate to share my own. But I am already on a mission for the next image, so what you will see as I post are "footprints in time".

As I have posted recently, here is another of those footprints...

Anna Graham Rose 2 May 2 2018 FINAL.jpg

Grayhand

903SWC, CFV50C

One of my favourite subjects to photograph now is beech wood in brook canyons with raking light.
If it is a north - south direction and around 3-4 in the afternoon, then you will get some interesting light effects on the ground on the west side of the ravin and a mostly bright east side.
You also include a little of the top of the ravin and then:
You got a photo!
Maybe..

Ray

dave.gt

903SWC, CFV50C

One of my favourite subjects to photograph now is beech wood in brook canyons with raking light.
If it is a north - south direction and around 3-4 in the afternoon, then you will get some interesting light effects on the ground on the west side of the ravin and a mostly bright east side.
You also include a little of the top of the ravin and then:
You got a photo!
Maybe...

Ray
Simply beautiful!!!
I would love to be there, it looks so relaxing...
Ray, well done. Love it!:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.