Site Sponsors

Thread: Panniers for medium format system

Post Thanks / Like

Panniers for medium format system

I have a Hasselblad 501cm and eight lenses that I want to carry on my bicycle.

I am hoping to find two padded panniers for the rear rack for the lenses and a quick release bag for the camera that will attach to the front handlebars.

All should have handles so I can pull them off the bike and walk a short distance to the shoot.

Does anyone know of padded bicycle camera panniers that they can recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panniers for medium format system

I dont know of any panniers for camera gear, but you could take a look at the Internal Camera Units from F-Stop.
    Maybe they can be of use in a normal pannier..

ICU - Products

They have handles so you can carry them a short distance..

Peter
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Koenig - unfortunately, their website is in German only. (They cooperate with Ortlieb - so if you know Ortlieb panniers you know the outer material they use.)

This is the main page for bike stuff:

Koenig Photobags | Fahrradtasche

Panniers:
    Koenig Photobags | Hinterradtasche groß

Front bag:
    Koenig Photobags | Lenkertasche Ultimate 5/L

I have their backpack with a custom made interior for my Alpa Max - and it's the best backpack I have used so far (and I have no shortage when it comes to bags :-). I also have their LiteBag2 - which is great as well, in particular if you need a 100% waterproof bag.

The web pages don't show everything they offer, for instance, I got the LiteBag in black with a less dominant company logo (the brown version is horrible, IMHO :-)

Chris

PS: Just had a second look: the panniers are the original Ortlieb panniers - one gets a special insert, that is, ideally one orders a custom-made version suitable for the body and lenses to be transported.
    Last edited by cly; 19th January 2014 at 05:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I once did it with a motorbike pannier, the throw over the saddle type. Fitted it with a pelican padded inner-devider kit including the egg-tray type foam cover. Worked a treat on a 2-week tour in the Alpes. Contax 645AF, two lenses, 2 DB's, accessories and a little 4x6 Canon printer.

So find a good pannier set with a square-ish shape and then find the right size padding for them

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do you do in general while biking Yair? I would love a biking solution which always has the camera ready to hand but does not have it getting vibrated to death. I have a shoulder bag at present but I'm sure there must be a better solution. What I really want is for it to be round my neck but not getting in the way, not getting bounced around and not make me look like a weirdo
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben, do a search for "chest pack." They are mostly a fishing type bag, but no reason it can't be used for photography.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks I will!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Ben,
    Here is Click:
    Chest Carriers Product Listing | Clik Elite
    Might fall under the "makes me look like a weirdo", but it works and fits when wearing a backpack too.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave. Um, bit weird. I suppose I want something to have the camera around my neck on a strap but also something to shove the camera in to stop it bouncing for when I'm moving while still keeping the strap round my neck. These would make sense as would a photo vest come to think of it but also make me look like I'm taking myself way too seriously.

OP sorry for the tangent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    What do you do in general while biking Yair? I would love a biking solution which always has the camera ready to hand but does not have it getting vibrated to death. I have a shoulder bag at present but I'm sure there must be a better solution. What I really want is for it to be round my neck but not getting in the way, not getting bounced around and not make me look like a weirdo
    If by biking you mean bicycle then it's an iPhone...if Motorbike then unfortunately I've sold the last one 4 years ago after an "almost gone" one...