The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Camera, One Lens

gerald.d

My Phase One XF with IQ380 back. and the SK 35 mm lens. That's like a 24 mm on a 35 mm full frame - but half the frame is the equivalent of a 70 mm lens at 40 mpx, and a quarter of the frame is still 20 mpx and like 140 mm lens.

(FYI, I have sony a7rII gear which weighs far, far less but I'd still prefer the great big MF sensor. And you did say economics are not a consideration!)
If you're shooting with a 35mm lens and crop the image to the equivalent FoV of a 70mm lens, then that would reduce the resolution by a quarter, not a half.

Crop to 70mm FoV and you'd have 20MP. To 140mm, and you'd only have 5MP.

Or am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

To answer the question posed, for me it's easy. The CAPcam and Schneider 120mm :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Pradeep

Interesting question, for which there is no single good answer. It's like when I get asked by family or friends - what camera do you recommend? The answer clearly depends upon 'what do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend?"

Since the second part of the question is moot here (cost not being an issue), the answer then must depend on what one is going to do with it. The responses here so far have again highlighted people's own personal preferences (and perhaps prejudices).

There is no SINGLE camera/lens combo that will serve all the needs of most photographers, certainly not mine.

My first love is wildlife, including action shots. Although not so much into close-up portraits, I still need a longish zoom for animals on the African plains and the camera has to be capable of rapid AF and fast frame rate - at least 8 fps.

Second love is landscapes and nature. Need a relatively high resolution sensor, with a wide angle lens on it that is also capable of night photography.

I also like travel photography and sometimes the wife insists I take family portraits too :p

No way a single body/lens can fit the bill.

Hypothetically though, if I had to choose just one, I would go with the Canon 1DX with the 28-300 f3.5-5.6L combo.

Yes, tame it is, but the 1DX is probably the best wildlife camera out there, with its superb AF, up to 14fps capability and full weather sealing. The images out of it are some of the most natural I have seen, where animals are concerned.

The lens is a compromise, sure, but gets me the long zoom, and at the wide angle I can probably stitch verticals for a pano style image. Yes, it is too slow for northern lights but that's one thing I will have to live with. Not as sharp as the 24-70 MkII or 70-200 2.8 but still very good for the range it covers.

There you have it. One camera, one lens for both wildlife and nature. Since I don't do fashion/street stuff, the size/heft of the combo would not bother me. Heck it would even work for people and family portraits for holidays and all that. Given the huge bags people carry these days, it might even work for travel with the zoom on it without attracting too much attention.

I doubt there's ever such a thing as "One camera - one lens".

If I were writing this 6-months ago I'd offer the Cambo WRS and HR40 lens (pick a back however I happen to like the IQ180). I picked the WRS 8-years ago this month and had been very happy using/shooting it in all climates from hot desert to cold winters of Jackson Hole. Things change.

I've also been using a Phase One DF body with an assortment of lenses until 6-months ago. I've now traded (most) all my prime lenses and use the beautiful 40-80LS along with a 75-150LS (I've been using a 240LS for landscape and with the 2x some wildlife). Then Phase finally released the very long awaited new body the XF and the new 35LS and suddenly things weren't looking the same.

Very long winded explanation however I'm coming to a point here soon...

After 8 years of using a tech camera I've decided the new improvements made by Phase and Schneider made me look at things and I decided to sell the Cambo kit and pick up a new 35LS.

So, to answer this I'd suggest that first this is a very personal choice however for me (a landscape, nature, wildlife photographer) I'd opt for the new XF body, an IQ180 (I've owned the 160 and find the 180 much more to my liking) and for a lens... If I could only have one lens then I'd pick the 40-80LS.

All the above discussion is based on medium format. My other choice on "One camera, one lens" is what I'm currently using to capture infrared; a Sony A7r converted to capture wide spectrum with a FE24-70 lens and a couple extra infrared filters with my current favorite the 830nm.

This again all based on person choice of course.

Don
Of course there really isn't such a thing -- it is more of a thinking exercise, kind of like picking your desert island camera/lens. I remember reading an article written by a photographer whose work I like where he said that if his studio were on fire and he could save one camera it would be his Fuji X100T, and he actually also shoots with a IQ140. I put my own spin on it with a medium format emphasis hoping to gain some insight or an additional perspective or two.

I love the crazy cool things some of you guys do with tech cameras. Not my genre of photography from a creative standpoint only because it is easy for me to know what I like when I see it, but I lack the creative eye to capture such images. For now and the near future, I'm content to admire and enjoy from afar. BTW, great work, Don. I've been admiring your work since I first stepped foot in this forum. Your response actually intrigues me in that from my limited viewpoint, I don't see many move away from tech cams. Rather it's the other way around. I have no doubt you will continue to produce outstanding images, but your new workflow, for example, expands my understanding. Thank you.

Alvin

Last edited:
Obviously one size doesn't fit all situations.

That said - for meticulous, deliberate landscape photography I'm happy with what I have: Toyo 810G 8x10" monorail matched with my Cooke XVa triple convertible (311/473/646 mm). Granted it's three focal lengths in one, so I guess I'm cheating. :p
Very cool! I've always wanted to shoot 8x10 just because. If you are lugging that thing around, I would say you get to cheat. lol

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

In my case that would be a superzoom bridge camera. Sony RX10II, Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 or something similar. But, I would never really consider a camera with just a limited lens.

The cameras mentioned above can probably make print-worthy pictures in decent sizes.

I shoot many things, foremost landscape but also nature, macro, street. No portraits and no commercial work.

Best regards
Erik

Interesting question, for which there is no single good answer. It's like when I get asked by family or friends - what camera do you recommend? The answer clearly depends upon 'what do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend?"

Since the second part of the question is moot here (cost not being an issue), the answer then must depend on what one is going to do with it. The responses here so far have again highlighted people's own personal preferences (and perhaps prejudices).

There is no SINGLE camera/lens combo that will serve all the needs of most photographers, certainly not mine.

My first love is wildlife, including action shots. Although not so much into close-up portraits, I still need a longish zoom for animals on the African plains and the camera has to be capable of rapid AF and fast frame rate - at least 8 fps.

Second love is landscapes and nature. Need a relatively high resolution sensor, with a wide angle lens on it that is also capable of night photography.

I also like travel photography and sometimes the wife insists I take family portraits too :p

No way a single body/lens can fit the bill.

Hypothetically though, if I had to choose just one, I would go with the Canon 1DX with the 28-300 f3.5-5.6L combo.

Yes, tame it is, but the 1DX is probably the best wildlife camera out there, with its superb AF, up to 14fps capability and full weather sealing. The images out of it are some of the most natural I have seen, where animals are concerned.

The lens is a compromise, sure, but gets me the long zoom, and at the wide angle I can probably stitch verticals for a pano style image. Yes, it is too slow for northern lights but that's one thing I will have to live with. Not as sharp as the 24-70 MkII or 70-200 2.8 but still very good for the range it covers.

There you have it. One camera, one lens for both wildlife and nature. Since I don't do fashion/street stuff, the size/heft of the combo would not bother me. Heck it would even work for people and family portraits for holidays and all that. Given the huge bags people carry these days, it might even work for travel with the zoom on it without attracting too much attention.
Pradeep,

I think you may be reading too much into the question. I'm not looking for a single body/lens to fit the bill. It is simply a hypothetical question. I actually welcome the highlighting of members' own personal preferences -- that's kind of the idea, lol.

The second part of the question is actually not moot to me. "Cost not being an issue" was added in an attempt to keep this from becoming a Sony A7X/Nikon D8XX value vs. IQ/overpriced MFDB debate. Perhaps this isn't as relevant here, but it gets annoying on the other forum very quickly. But on a personal note, cost actually isn't an issue in this particular case as a XF1/IQ380 is actually on the table. And no, I don't expect it to serve all of my NEEDS, none of them actually. I recognize it is something that will help me do what I WANT to do -- since I don't do this for a living, I can't justify it as a NEED. Though I have made money from my photography and have paid for most of my equipment that way, I don't rely on it as form of income and have to recognize it for what it is -- A WANT.

At the risk of going off topic, "your Phase dilemma" is one of the things that indirectly lead me to this forum. No disrespect, and without criticizing your decision, personally I would have done it differently. There isn't anything I shoot that couldn't be shot with the IQ180 or 645Z or with any of the the other cameras mentioned in this thread (with the exception of the Toyo and perhaps the tech cameras) for that matter.. And if I'm brutally honest with myself, I'd be happy with any of the equipment mentioned here and find a way to make it work for me.

Alvin

danlindberg

If I could only bring one body/back/lens to a remote island for the rest of my life, I would go;
Alpa STC, Schneider 60 XL and a IQ260 Achromatic. (and I have none of those components)

Pradeep

Pradeep,

I think you may be reading too much into the question. I'm not looking for a single body/lens to fit the bill. It is simply a hypothetical question. I actually welcome the highlighting of members' own personal preferences -- that's kind of the idea, lol.

The second part of the question is actually not moot to me. "Cost not being an issue" was added in an attempt to keep this from becoming a Sony A7X/Nikon D8XX value vs. IQ/overpriced MFDB debate. Perhaps this isn't as relevant here, but it gets annoying on the other forum very quickly. But on a personal note, cost actually isn't an issue in this particular case as a XF1/IQ380 is actually on the table. And no, I don't expect it to serve all of my NEEDS, none of them actually. I recognize it is something that will help me do what I WANT to do -- since I don't do this for a living, I can't justify it as a NEED. Though I have made money from my photography and have paid for most of my equipment that way, I don't rely on it as form of income and have to recognize it for what it is -- A WANT.

At the risk of going off topic, "your Phase dilemma" is one of the things that indirectly lead me to this forum. No disrespect, and without criticizing your decision, personally I would have done it differently. There isn't anything I shoot that couldn't be shot with the IQ180 or 645Z or with any of the the other cameras mentioned in this thread (with the exception of the Toyo and perhaps the tech cameras) for that matter.. And if I'm brutally honest with myself, I'd be happy with any of the equipment mentioned here and find a way to make it work for me.

Alvin

Ah, Alvin, so the question then should be, what would your choice of a single camera/lens be, regardless of what/how/where you shoot and perhaps with the cost not being a factor. That would make it a lot more interesting. My current favorite (of everything I've tried so far) would then be the Pentax 645Z with the DFA 55mm lens on it. Handheld, super sharp at 1/15 sec, gobs of resolution, great color, ability to pull up shadows by 4 stops etc. etc.

I've never handled the Leica S, it is possible I would choose that body instead, but I don't know.

In the real world, cost does become a factor if only as a measure of value. Even when one has enough money to be able to indulge, you want more than bragging rights, the object has to hold tremendous appeal for you. If I can spend three times as much on a car and find it to be money well spent, it is because I derive great pleasure driving around in it. There is no way to quantify that.

Which is why so many people here have liked MF, it is no doubt way more expensive, but there is a unique pleasure in making images with it and who is to say it is not worth it to each of us?

JohnBrew

Leica M-P, 50 Lux ASPH. I have other gear, but the Leica is the one which puts a smile on my face and the last one I would get rid of.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

If you're shooting with a 35mm lens and crop the image to the equivalent FoV of a 70mm lens, then that would reduce the resolution by a quarter, not a half.

Crop to 70mm FoV and you'd have 20MP. To 140mm, and you'd only have 5MP.

Or am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

To answer the question posed, for me it's easy. The CAPcam and Schneider 120mm :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.
No Gerald, no misinterpretation, you are quite right and I wasn't thinking straight!

M

mjr

Morning

I have travelled a lot over the last 20 years, over 80 countries now from Antarctica to Zambia and if I could have taken one camera and one lens with me everywhere it would have been the S with the 70mm, I could shoot anything I want in any conditions with this combination. In the last 12 months I have shot the S in -40c to +45c with zero issues, I love it!

That said, if I was to stop commercial photography, no longer travel and consider photography as nothing more than pure enjoyment, I'd go back to 8x10, I have a great darkroom at home now and get as much pleasure from the process as the final result.

We live in pretty spectacular times for photography, something for everyone.

Mat

beano_z

My feedback could differ from a lot of users here, but no offence meant, even if some of this sounds weird.

I actually can't be passionate about a camera, I can be anal about it yes, I can be demanding and paranoid even, but I wouldn't say passionate.

I am, however, passionate about the shooting process it encourages me to pursue, I am passionate about the images it makes. These days I find choosing and buying a camera is a complete PITA, way too much choice and subtle differences. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I can't possibly keep up with all the new developments in the camera world. It's even worse when it comes to accessories, OMG, all the bags and tripods, filter holders and filters, etc. etc.

But anyway, coming back to your one-lens-one-camera question, I would say, for every application there should be a favourite combination, obviously if you're shooting birds you don't want to bring the 4x5 and seldom you have people just focusing on one type of shooting.

So for landscape and architecture my choice would be the ALPA Max with Rodie 32mm

For travel snapshots and portrait it would be a Leica M9 with a Noctilux F/1.0

So there you have it, my opinion...you asked for it :loco:;)

Pradeep

Morning
We live in pretty spectacular times for photography, something for everyone.

Mat
How true is that!

if I could have taken one camera and one lens with me everywhere it would have been the S with the 70mm...............
I too would probably have loved the S, but I've never tried it. Don't want to fall for something I may regret later - sounds familiar, right:)

torger

If I'd want to keep as much flexibility as possible it would be something like a Canon 5Ds with a 24-70 zoom.

If I'd want to keep something of the unique creative options I have with my tech cam it would be my Linhof Techno with Schneider 72mm. I have 7 lenses for it today though (35 to 180mm), and I would not like to take away that choice of perspective as I actually enjoy that. In the last trip I shot 42 images and I used all seven lenses. I use longer lenses more often than wide. I don't crop much and never stitch. I find enjoyment in having as close as possible to the final image directly when pressing the shutter.

I can go all romantic about the slow workflow with the tech cam and how that makes you concentrate on the image blah blah blah, but it's harder to me to go romantic about the lack of lens choice, but we're all different.