Site Sponsors

Thread: XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

Post Thanks / Like

XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

As I'm into the last grueling hours waiting for the FedEx guy to knock on the door with my XF from the amazing Steve Hendrix and the boys over at Capture Integration, I thought I would reach out to those of you who have been blessed with earlier delivery and ask ya'll...... do you have any pointers for say...., button settings, as they can be changed around? What makes sense and what does not??.... I know different strokes...but still, opinions do matter plus I thought maybe a nice place discuss the XF in general.

Cheers!

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Re: XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

First frame was an "error" and they keep coming intermittently .
    Dam I hate when this happens .BUT the boys @ CI are all over it!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure all the bits and pieces are connected correctly. Viewfinder prism latch leaves more to be desired.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Make sure all the bits and pieces are connected correctly. Viewfinder prism latch leaves more to be desired.

ken
    Well Ken,

Very weird,

After the initial error and subsequent errors I set it down for an hour or so and since then its been a champ so IDK...brad was hoping when I called back that I would have a list of failures and scenarios for troubleshooting....LOL
    The other issue I found is that my RRS L plate does not sit flush on the bottom as it interferes with the body after turning upwards...bummer. RRS says they will have a solution ready for the XF by mid-late Jan.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    Well Ken,

Very weird,

After the initial error and subsequent errors I set it down for an hour or so and since then its been a champ so IDK...brad was hoping when I called back that I would have a list of failures and scenarios for troubleshooting....LOL
    The other issue I found is that my RRS L plate does not sit flush on the bottom as it interferes with the body after turning upwards...bummer. RRS says they will have a solution ready for the XF by mid-late Jan.

Don
    Yes, the RRS stuff will not fit the XF, however it's a simple fix. All you need to do is sand down the two alignment posts just a hair. Once done, it fits like a champ. I for sure did not want to purchase another L bracket. It took about 5 minutes with a hobby course and medium sanding stick. The ones with foam between the sandpaper. Make sure you wash off the L bracket to get everything off, i.e. filings.

Surprised more have not found this to be a problem? Maybe RRS changed their brackets as mine dates back to 2009ish or early 2010.

One other note, if you plan on removing the 3/8" inner thread, remember the set screw, I didn't, and the rest well lets just say I had a few panic moments. (strip that tiny set screw and off goes brand new XF to Phase One for a new bottom plate)

But all is well, but now need a new setscrew.

I knew about it, but it's been a long long time since I pulled the 3/8" out of a Mamiya tripod screw/socket.

Paul C

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm - I guess my RRS plate must be newer because it fits like a charm. I had it on my DF for several years. Can't remember when I bought it but certainly more than three years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was surprised by mine not fitting and went back to the DF+ to make sure and it fit fine. Then I went back and measured and the holes on the XF, were just a millimeter smaller. Basically the layer of anodization of the RRS bracket. It really confused me a bit but I figured if I forced it, it would become a "permanent" addition to my XF body. No doubt somewhere something changed.

Tolerances, got to love em.

Paul C

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Paul's post brought a tear to my eyes as I read it and remembered what it was like when I first got my XF. It was like Christmas all over again and I was tearing the wrapping off the presents trying to get to the good stuff. I too had problems getting the set screw out so I could remove the insert and try out my RRS bracket. What seems like hours later I had the set screw removed as well as the insert (threw that into the drawer along with all the others) and tested fitted the RRS bracket finding at first it didn't fit as nice as I thought - then removed it and fitted it again finding it did. Tighten the bracket onto the XF which is where it's remained ever since.

Opting to keep my IQ180 I quickly found the XF and back refused to work together until I remembered the firmware update I hadn't done yet. (I also remembering trying to find the "on" button on the body which is a long story best left for another day.) Doing the firmware updating always leaves me a little breathless until its done and everything is okay and I felt the same this time. After what felt like 1/2 a day (it really wasn't) I finally had the bracket in place, the firmware updated on the IQ180, the 90-degree prism in place and ready to go.

I've been as happy as a pig in slop ever since getting the XF and even more recently with the release of the waist level finder.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post

I've been as happy as a pig in slop ever since getting the XF and even more recently with the release of the waist level finder.

Don
    Me too, Don! I have Sony gear for hiking trips as it is so light, but I love the XF so much I'm happy to carry the weight.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Paul's post brought a tear to my eyes as I read it and remembered what it was like when I first got my XF. It was like Christmas all over again and I was tearing the wrapping off the presents trying to get to the good stuff. I too had problems getting the set screw out so I could remove the insert and try out my RRS bracket. What seems like hours later I had the set screw removed as well as the insert (threw that into the drawer along with all the others) and tested fitted the RRS bracket finding at first it didn't fit as nice as I thought - then removed it and fitted it again finding it did. Tighten the bracket onto the XF which is where it's remained ever since.

Opting to keep my IQ180 I quickly found the XF and back refused to work together until I remembered the firmware update I hadn't done yet. (I also remembering trying to find the "on" button on the body which is a long story best left for another day.) Doing the firmware updating always leaves me a little breathless until its done and everything is okay and I felt the same this time. After what felt like 1/2 a day (it really wasn't) I finally had the bracket in place, the firmware updated on the IQ180, the 90-degree prism in place and ready to go.

Don
    I appreciate your description as your XF arrived, One could almost smell Christmas cookies and a burning fire place on Christmas morning knowing Santa Clause DID show up and under the tree sat your present...the one you have been wanting all year long, you opened it up and started playing with it.....and then it happened..It stops working...It broke and you have to pack it up and send it back to Capture Integration.

Oh man, I stare at my DF+ as it looks back at me knowing I don't want to use it and that it's my second choice, my only choice. Talk about a deep dark depression...I so miss her........

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don, Oh crap! Just read the sad news that the XF had to return to the mothership - any news on what happened to her? Thinking positive thoughts that it won't be long.

A bit of good news from 100-miles west of you as I was notified I'll be getting the 35LS Monday just in time for the So Rim.

Keep of posted on the XF please

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if it's possible to fire the camera without a lens attached?

I turned "Manual Lens" to "On", but that doesn't seem to have helped.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

My DF RRS L bracket seems to fit fine without any modification.

One thing that's different is the Mirror Up switch on the LCD panel. If you flip it up then you can't see thru the viewfinder. So you have to have everything properly framed and focused prior to flipping it up. Then apparently the seismograph will fire the shutter when all the vibrations have died down. Still experimenting here. Anyone else figure this out?

Pretty different from the DF where you can set "mirror up" and "2 sec delay" as a custom setting before firing the shutter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JRBERNSTEIN View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to fire the camera without a lens attached?

I turned "Manual Lens" to "On", but that doesn't seem to have helped.
    Mine is fine without a lens - I use a Hartblei Super Rotator which has no connection to the XF except the bayonet mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    My DF RRS L bracket seems to fit fine without any modification.

One thing that's different is the Mirror Up switch on the LCD panel. If you flip it up then you can't see thru the viewfinder. So you have to have everything properly framed and focused prior to flipping it up. Then apparently the seismograph will fire the shutter when all the vibrations have died down. Still experimenting here. Anyone else figure this out?

Pretty different from the DF where you can set "mirror up" and "2 sec delay" as a custom setting before firing the shutter.
    Doug

What I am doing is fire the camera in vibration mode.
    Turn vibration detect off. And delay 2sec.

Hit the shutter and you get mirror up and the shutter fires after 2sec. Using camera controls from the IQ260 is great also. You can set off the same sequence without depressing the XF shutter. Just the LCD.

LOVE this. Removes the need for a wired remote.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out that having "AF Priority" set to "Focus" will just not fire without a lens. Setting it to "Release" works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Mine is fine without a lens - I use a Hartblei Super Rotator which has no connection to the XF except the bayonet mount.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

Received my XF this morning. First verified that it had the NEW screen- GOOD. Battery very low, on charge now.

Can some body tell me what should be firmware on body and IQ260 back?

Thanks,

R----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Latest for the body is 1.06.1
    The IQ260 is 6.07.1

Go to https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download...-Firmware.aspx

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you get the waist level finder watch out for scratching the VF glass when changing between prism & wlf. One of my coshooters managed to scratch his pretty easily when swapping between them.

i found the ideal setup for me was rear button focus, shutter release priority only and also programmed the front button to AE single so that I could set exposure to metered exposure with a long push in M mode. I also set the bottom button to stop down review but I'd change that to shutter when using the WLF.

focus confirm in WLF LCD display mode works well too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anybody changed the XF focussing screen yet? It appears that you do it from inside the mirror box, just like the DF, despite being able to remove the viewfinder. Of course, unlike the DF, you need to turn the camera on to get the mirror down.

I will get my new screen on Monday and perhaps it includes instructions. I'm reluctant to screw around with the screen until I'm sure!

Post Thanks / Like

While this page covers a lot of ground, the Phase One manual is pretty slim compared to the Hasselblad H series manual which literally covers every single setting in detail

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products.../Hands-on.aspx

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any one know what cable shutter release can be used with this camera? If it is still not available, how do you get away with the very slow shutter speed?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    Any one know what cable shutter release can be used with this camera? If it is still not available, how do you get away with the very slow shutter speed?Thanks
    I used shutter delay or vibration release on a tripod. Not ideal for accurate timing but certainly better than using the shutter button. Also you can fire the shutter via IQ lcd touch screen if preferred. Cable release is a necessity though really.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 19th December 2015 at 11:08.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Graham!
    I've had no idea why the camera was released without available cable shutter release. The previous cable shutter release for DF+ is very fine, any one know why P1 changed the port for cable shutter release?
    Hurry up P1! Cable shutter release is as important for landscape photographers as tripods, at least for me.
    I am surprised to see no complaints about this issue. May be I am a complainer RRS L- plate doesn't fit well either.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought on the cable release was WTF??? I used and liked the older DF release verymuch and thought Id have to wait years before shooting the way Im used to;not touching the camera. However muchlike Graham has pointed out I began using a combination of shutter delay,vibration delay and mirror up and have found I like this workflow very much. Im on the fence as to how necessary a newimproved (?) release actually is and will wait. My thoughts are that since I like/enjoy my current workflow I might notrush to by the cable when/if released as I dont see this as a work around.

On the other hand waiting for as long as we have had to forthe waist level to finally be released as well as the proper focus mask is adifferent topic.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Don! Good to hear you don't need the cable release. I may try to change the habit.
    Don't you have any problem with vibration when you don't use a cable release with very long exposure (like when using Lee Big Stopper)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My biggest concern using the XF with the big 35LS, 40-80LS and 75-150LS was being scared to death that the strap would fray and the entire load go crashing to the ground.

Don't you have any problem with vibration when you don't use a cable release with very long exposure (like when using Lee Big Stopper)?
    as don mentioned, the MUP and time delay/vibration delay works just fine so that the shot starts when there is no residual vibration from releasing the shutter.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a fantastic news from friends I can trust. One less thing to worry about.
    What is the setting for time delay (how long) and vibration delay? I haven't had time to play around with it.

Post Thanks / Like

For landscapes and similar static subject matter, you can "work around" without a cable release using the vibration delay. However, it doesn't negate the necessity of having a working electromagnetic cable release for other subject matter, such as in portraiture. If you get a portrait subject that is a "blinker" using a cable release and triggering it from behind your back will increase the number of keepers dramatically. I've read that an adapter is being made for the old cable to use on the XF. I'd actually prefer a new cable over an adapter, and simply be free of one more kink in the chain to go wrong.

Get that new XF cable release out please!

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a fantastic news from friends I can trust. One less thing to worry about.
    What is the setting for time delay (how long) and vibration delay? I haven't had time to play around with it.
    You can set the delay. There are multiple duration options (don't have camera to check but several durations to multi-seconds).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What Ken said! I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking what I primarily shoot which is landscape. In reading Kens reply which makes sense it also got me thinking of when I shoot wildlife and the likelihood that a remote will come into being necessary. I haven't shoot in Jackson Hole sine getting the XF but remember doing a combination of shooting with the DF both hands on and remote; in this case a shutter delay will just plain suck. The landscape will be sharp while the wildlife walks away.....

I've kept my delay set at 3-seconds which I believed is the factory setting.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    My biggest concern using the XF with the big 35LS, 40-80LS and 75-150LS was being scared to death that the strap would fray and the entire load go crashing to the ground
    Graham, are you speaking of the Peak Design system? If so (and I have all the lenses you mention plus a couple others) I've learned to totally trust it. That said I'm also constantly checking the mounting at the camera making certain nothing has frayed. I also have a couple spares with me and plan to replace them at least once a year if not sooner. I'll admit the weak point is the cord however the strap system is one of the best I've come across and plan on using it warts and all. I figure I'll spend about $8.00 a year replacing the buttons.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the Vibration Delay (set for 5 seconds) and get excellent results.
    BUT - when shooting landscapes where wind may be a factor - or wildlife as Don says - I need to choose the exact moment of stillness for the exposure. So yes, bring on the release please!
    Bill CB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I believe that you can also use wireless to IQ backs to remotely trigger via the capture pilot app. Might only be iq3 backs though (alas I had to give mine back before I could try it )

I agree though that a real remote is mandatory for real world universal use. Having an adapter between old remotes and the XF isn't such a bad compromise if it saves having to buy yet more proprietary stuff. Just so long as it is reliable.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone. I hope P1 will solve this issue soon.
    Although there are some minor issues, over all, the XF is well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, Oh crap! Just read the sad news that the XF had to return to the mothership - any news on what happened to her? Thinking positive thoughts that it won't be long.

A bit of good news from 100-miles west of you as I was notified I'll be getting the 35LS Monday just in time for the So Rim.

Keep of posted on the XF please

Don
    So Don, What made you pull the trigger on the 35SL Blue line? I mean we're talking a mere 5mm and f.5 difference from your 40-80LS. I'm very curious!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So Don, What made you pull the trigger on the 35SL Blue line? I mean we're talking a mere 5mm and f.5 difference from your 40-80LS. I'm very curious!

Well for me it was a little more than the 5mm and f/.5 difference. I've a couple projects the next 12-months where the 40mm isn't enough and the 28 is just too much. Kinda like Goldilocks where I think (hope) the 35 will be just right. Being slightly wider means I might be able to do in one or two frames whereas the 40 might take three which on the surface might not seem like much but it could in the end. Plus with the slightly faster lens of the 35LS that means I can use a lower ISO. The other aspect is that as good as the 40-80 is; and it is one hell of a great lens, it is nevertheless a zoom. AT the wide end and 35mm by all accounts should be better and even if it's only "slightly" I'll take it.

It's a gamble on my part that the 35 will work as well as I anticipate however what's life without taking a chance? The other aspect is the weight difference between the 35 and 40-80.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I also couldn't let Graham have all the lenses
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also couldn't let Graham have all the lenses
    I'm still using the older generation Phase One D lenses with the exception of a couple of LS primes. I did get to borrow the 40-80LS as my go to lens for a week and the 35LS for a couple of days. Dealer and other owner consensus is that the new 35LS is in Rodie 32HR quality territory. I'll have to review my images to see. It is not exactly a svelte tiny walkabout lens but then neither are any of the LS zooms either.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, the 35 Blue Ring is the sharpest wide angle I have ever used. It's become the lens I leave on the camera - despite the fact that I tend to see "long" rather than "wide". I'm seeking more wide-angle approaches to subjects as a result.

You surely won't regret getting it although your bank account might....

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Don, the 35 Blue Ring is the sharpest wide angle I have ever used. It's become the lens I leave on the camera - despite the fact that I tend to see "long" rather than "wide". I'm seeking more wide-angle approaches to subjects as a result.

You surely won't regret getting it although your bank account might....

Bill
    So Bill, Does this mean you have completely re-thunk your composition set up in general being that the 35 includes foreground that you would have , in the past not worried about. If so what or how have you changed your composition practices?

Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Bill, Does this mean you have completely re-thunk your composition set up in general being that the 35 includes foreground that you would have , in the past not worried about. If so what or how have you changed your composition practices?

Don

I haven't completely re-thunk (nice word!) my style but I'm just seeking to add another dimension - and yes, with the excellent hyperfocal setting on the XF, I'n doing more with foregrounds. I'll post some soon!
    Happy Holidays!
    Bill CB

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a bit of time and was looking to set up HyperFocus on my XF. But for some reason, the HyperFocus option is no longer showing up in the AF Mode menu (I do remember seeing it when I first got it). The HyperFocal set up tool is still there, under Tools, but I can't select it in the AF Mode (the icon is just not there...I have an option of Average and Spot).

I've tried changing the Layout from Classic to Simple to Waist. I've tried with both the prism and WL finders. And I've looked through the menus for something that would indicate why the option isn't there, but no luck so far.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JR
    by any chance is the lens clutch set to MF?

I had a similar issue until I moved the clutch to AF.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    JR
    by any chance is the lens clutch set to MF?

I had a similar issue until I moved the clutch to AF.

Paul C
    No, it looks like HyperFocal is only enabled for LS lenses.

I sent a support request to Phase One and will report back here with their reply.
    J R

Post Thanks / Like

Purely user error on my part. Somehow, I wasn't saving the HF point, and until there's one saved per lens, the option doesn't show up in the AF menu.
    J R
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had posted this on another thread but figured it best here on Tips & Tricks. This was written as a reply on the latest new XF firmware....DeOxit Gold really does work...
    "I installed the latest firmware as well. The only issue I had after that was with a "OVF" error. I took off the view finder a few times and reinstalled and still the error would come back. Heres were it gets interesting. Some while back I was having black frame issues with my Nikon 24-70 on my D3S. I had cleaned the contacts, used an eraser and still had black frames. Someone on FM suggested I try to clean the contacts with a product called DeOxit Gold, he swore by it. It's a electrical contact cleaner and enhancer. I laughed but figured what the hell, $12 bucks vs. a visit to Nikon and $200-500 dollars so I bought some on Amazon. Long story short this stuff freaking works, no snake oil I promise. It has proven its abilities on several Nikon & Canon bodies & lens's since with 100% effectiveness. So...I tried it on the XF , applying a liberal amount (not dripping) on a cue tip and carefully rubbed on each contact on the body and viewfinder. I have not had that error reoccur since, thats 4 client shoots.
    Love the XF to death and now that I got my iPad back I'll love it more"

Update: Since that was written I have had 2 more client shoots and still no errors. One of my latest shoots was a female with modeling experience and had several instances thru-out the day to shoot in continuos A/F as she moved with every strobe flash, less than a second apart. The A/F performed much better than the DF+. I had probably a 85% keeper rating that were tack sharp and honestly I cant say that the 15% were the cameras fault as I just started shooting with back button focus last week and it very well may be me. I'm very pleased!

Don

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of things that might help someone coming to this thread: (and a Yogi Berra #3)

1) Changing the viewfinder mask. By default the mirror only comes down in the XF when it is powered up. Great for real world use but not when swapping out the VF mask. I highly recommend going to the XF power management menu and setting the mirror down to On vs auto. That way when you're setting up the VF mask (or cleaning etc) you won't have to worry about the body powering off (you can change the mask with power off) and ... well you can imagine what would happen. When you're done, put it back on auto.

2) Setting the hyperlocal lens setting is a fun experience. I used my IQ150 tethered to C1 Pro and controlled the camera & lens AF via the C1 live view interface. Pretty easy to set the initial DOF hyper-focal point this way, especially if you set a near/far set of points using the focus assessment tool.

The challenge I found though was when wanting to try the focus bracket assessment where you can get the camera to fire off a focus bracket set and according to the instructions you should be able to tell the focus point in MCUs via meta data. Well, I looked through all of the meta data for my initial tethered shots to compare the MCU number I dialed into the XF body when setting up starting point - nothing, nada. I thought that maybe C1 would have a control to trigger the bracket set or a display somewhere for it. However, when I triggered the focus bracket set from the camera and checked the metadata captured in C1 lo and behold the values for the MCUs are written to the image meta data in the IPTC Description field.

Hopefully this might help someone else trying to set the hyper focal point and focus bracket to fine tune.

3) A question to any other tethered shooters using C1 Pro: Have you found a way to move the tool display in the live view window to the right side of the screen? You can do it in the main window easily but I don't seem to be able to do it in the live view window. Why does it matter? Well, it's a pain in a$$ if you are using a Surface Pro with pen out in the field and you're right handed. I want to set controls on the right side of the screen so that I'm not covering the LV image with my hand/arm as I use the AF controls in the LV tool set.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 14th February 2016 at 22:13.