The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF IQ3 100 - Issues with Capture Pilot

rriley

I have been hoping to use Capture Pilot to trigger the XF.

I do understand basic networking and have gone through the documentation in detail but remain unable to reliably connect either ad hoc or direct to my home server.

I was wondering if others are having any difficulty with Capture Pilot and the IQ3 100.

Thanks any comments!

Paul2660

You have mentioned "home server", Capture Pilot will be looking for an Ad hoc connection directly to your iPhone or iPad, only. The Phase Ad Hoc should be seen on the device as one of the available wifi networks to connect to.

Connection is considerably improved IMO over early models as so far, I have not had any issues connecting to a both my iPhone or iPad. I don't know of any way to get the back to connect to a traditional network.

Paul Caldwell

Christopher

You have mentioned "home server", Capture Pilot will be looking for an Ad hoc connection directly to your iPhone or iPad, only. The Phase Ad Hoc should be seen on the device as one of the available wifi networks to connect to.

Connection is considerably improved IMO over early models as so far, I have not had any issues connecting to a both my iPhone or iPad. I don't know of any way to get the back to connect to a traditional network.

Paul Caldwell

You can also connect the back to any wifi network (home server) no need for ad hoc.

Both works for me quite well.

Paul2660

You can also connect the back to any wifi network (home server) no need for ad hoc.

Both works for me quite well.
Thanks for the correction, never tried it past the IQ260 which never would connect for me. Just use the 100 with the iPad/iPhone for capture pilot's app on both devices.

Paul Caldwell

Craig Stocks

I have had problems every time but it eventually will connect. I don't seem to have a problem getting the 1oo to connect to my network normhave I had a problem connecting my iPad or iPhone to the 100's ad hoc network. The problem is that Capture Pilot keeps reporting that it can't find an image server. I just keep restarting Capture Pilot and it will work eventually.

Jamgolf

I have had problems every time but it eventually will connect. I don't seem to have a problem getting the 1oo to connect to my network normhave I had a problem connecting my iPad or iPhone to the 100's ad hoc network. The problem is that Capture Pilot keeps reporting that it can't find an image server. I just keep restarting Capture Pilot and it will work eventually.
I was running into this problem as well. The key point is that when you connect to your IQ100 from "Setting -> Wifi" on you iPad/iPhone, it says "connected" prematurely but you have to wait and allow the connection to be completely setup i.e. acquire IP addresses.

So, wait for 30-60 seconds and only then start Capture Pilot.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I was running into this problem as well. The key point is that when you connect to your IQ100 from "Setting -> Wifi" on you iPad/iPhone, it says "connected" prematurely but you have to wait and allow the connection to be completely setup i.e. acquire IP addresses.

So, wait for 30-60 seconds and only then start Capture Pilot.
+1

It takes the iPad 10-15 seconds to be assigned an IP address. If you launch CP before you're fully on the network then it will often cause errors.

30-60 seconds is more than I'd normally advise should be needed, but the exact amount of time will vary based on which iOS version, which iPad, and which firmware version of the back. Generally speaking, the newer the faster, but only as a general rule. You can actually watch the IP address be assigned on the iPad if you tap on the network name advanced tab.

rriley

I have done some further testing with Capture Pilot and have been in communication with Phase One.

My iPhone OS is fully updated and experiencing an inability to connect with the Phase One adhoc networking and when I do connect with the other two connection methods I can see my files on the XF3100 but the control screen will not load and just remains blank. Clicking on the camera icon does not correct the problem and the movie icon does not appear on my screen.

According to Phase One, Capture Pilot has some issues with v10 of IOS.