Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 192

Thread: Fuji GFX and Capture One

  1. #51
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Are you so sure?

    Why would Doug or I want to jump into this?

    Simply ask yourself this. Given how unlikely it is, don't you think it makes more sense to hear something official from the company that is actually producing the software than accept the word from some flackie at a dog and pony show?


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Yes I'm sure! ...it is because this kind of decision from P1 means minimal profits for both your and Doug's companies on which you are are employed... So, you would have rushed to get a negative reaction from P1.... IMO, the truth is that Sony is in a position to enforce any company that they supply with MF sensors, so that the company will be aligned to Sony's interests... and surely Sony's interests are with volumes that P1 can't achieve (or be anywhere near them).

  2. #52
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    "Flackie at a dog and pony show"?

    Really Steve?

    You want to go there?

    Ok, I don't who the guy was, but that's kind of my point, no one knows who he is, he's just some guy off stage left. I'm using the term flackie to make my point.

    Are you sensitive because you're on the spot for no reason just because you reported this when it is unlikely to be true, regardless of what this "high level executive" said? I mean, it's not your fault, what people do with the info, so relax.

    It's now seen as fact by all sorts of rumor sites just because of this one guy saying so. It would not be the first time someone from a manufacturer spoke publicly about something without really knowing, so unless someone from Phase One confirms this, I'm going to continue to believe what is most likely, and assume C1 will not support GFX files.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Who should be apologizing? The person who breathlessly spread the rumor all across the internet, or the person who is shooting it down as just another unfounded rumor that is very likely false?
    I don't know. Perhaps you think that if the rumor is repeated enough, it magically becomes true.
    "Breathlessly spread the rumor"?

    **** you.

    I posted here. That was it.

    I actually made the effort to check what the source of the story was for the two other people reporting it. No-one else did. No-one else could be bothered.

    I'm not a journalist. I'm not a reporter. I'm just a vaguely anonymous guy who was at an event because he's interested in MF and shared what he heard.

    When it seemed that all sources were leading back to what I reported was said here, I questioned them.

    Don't you ****ing dare question my integrity you sack of ****.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Ok, I don't who the guy was, but that's kind of my point, no one knows who he is, he's just some guy off stage left. I'm using the term flackie to make my point.
    The point that you couldn't be bother to ask who he was?

    The guy - me - who both reports what he heard and then provides the video of what he saw. You thought "no point in asking [him] who said this - no one [especially not he, who was actually there] could possible know who he is"?

    The point that if you'd bothered to look at the video that was immediately below the one I linked to on Facebook, the guy's name and job title is there for all to see? I mean, he has a pretty obvious accent. And he speaks for over 10 minutes in that video.

    Nah. Just be insulting. That's the positive and professional way to address this.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Gerald..... as I see it you are simply the messenger and not the sender. At least someone attempted to pass along what could be exciting news about the GFX. Lets see what happens.... if it turns out to be untrue no big deal. If true a BIG deal.

    Victor
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    The point that you couldn't be bother to ask who he was?

    The guy - me - who both reports what he heard and then provides the video of what he saw. You thought "no point in asking [him] who said this - no one [especially not he, who was actually there] could possible know who he is"?

    The point that if you'd bothered to look at the video that was immediately below the one I linked to on Facebook, the guy's name and job title is there for all to see? I mean, he has a pretty obvious accent. And he speaks for over 10 minutes in that video.

    Nah. Just be insulting. That's the positive and professional way to address this.

    I could not easily see who it was. And I only watched that snippet of the video, other than a chunk of the introductory part with Zack Arias speaking, who I always enjoy hearing. I didn't bother to see who it was, because in reality, it doesn't really matter. Phase One has not announced any support for this camera, traditionally it would be a major break from Phase One policy, and at this point, it remains unsubstantiated.

    I'm sorry if you were so insulted because the identity of who said it was dismissed by me. But you yourself even said that you "had your doubts", and you were there when the person said it. It seems you cast as much doubt on what he said as I do. Regardless of who he is, you don't seem to believe him either.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

  7. #57
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I could not easily see who it was. And I only watched that snippet of the video, other than a chunk of the introductory part with Zack Arias speaking, who I always enjoy hearing. I didn't bother to see who it was, because in reality, it doesn't really matter. Phase One has not announced any support for this camera, traditionally it would be a major break from Phase One policy, and at this point, it remains unsubstantiated.

    I'm sorry if you were so insulted because the identity of who said it was dismissed by me. But you yourself even said that you "had your doubts", and you were there when the person said it. It seems you cast as much doubt on what he said as I do. Regardless of who he is, you don't seem to believe him either.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    I wonder... with the volume of sales that P1 currently has Steven, do you really think they can survive if they don't support other PRO cameras? ...do you really think that Sony would allow P1 to oppose their business plan and allow P1 to "block" further sales of (by far too many) sensors from them? ...or is it that Sony would "threaten" P1 that if they don't support their rest of customers than can achieve ultra high volumes, then P1 would be undervalued as a customer from Sony?

    Who you think is the winner on the above equation?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Okay guys, slow your mo. Geez we really won't know for sure would be my guess upon release of the camera . Does it make sense for C1 to support it well that's a open question only Phase could answer. Steve and Doug are not the guys that make that call. They may hear rumors but they will not talk about them either way, that I can guarantee you. I know both of them very well and they are not going to step in that area until it is or is not official. I think it would be awesome if they did but I'm also partial to C1 because I been using it for years and Phase and Sony do have a agreement on use for Sony owners. So that type of scenario is possible for sure. Let's just keep our cool here though. Oh and the brand loyalty is beginning to look like a grease patch, let's clean that up on both sides, Please.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #59
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Gerald..... as I see it you are simply the messenger and not the sender. At least someone attempted to pass along what could be exciting news about the GFX. Lets see what happens.... if it turns out to be untrue no big deal. If true a BIG deal.

    Victor
    Agree let's not beat up any messenger of potentially good news especially our well known members.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Iktinos View Post
    the truth is that Sony is in a position to enforce any company that they supply with MF sensors, so that the company will be aligned to Sony's interests... and surely Sony's interests are with volumes that P1 can't achieve (or be anywhere near them).
    Theodoros surely you're not suggesting that Sony would force Phase One to support their Cameras? Maybe they'll threaten Nikon to prevent them releasing a new camera too?

  11. #61
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Theodoros surely you're not suggesting that Sony would force Phase One to support their Cameras? Maybe they'll threaten Nikon to prevent them releasing a new camera too?

    Oh ... Theodoros? I should have guessed.

    Thanks Nick!


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    "Breathlessly spread the rumor"?

    **** you.

    I posted here. That was it.

    I actually made the effort to check what the source of the story was for the two other people reporting it. No-one else did. No-one else could be bothered.

    I'm not a journalist. I'm not a reporter. I'm just a vaguely anonymous guy who was at an event because he's interested in MF and shared what he heard.

    When it seemed that all sources were leading back to what I reported was said here, I questioned them.

    Don't you ****ing dare question my integrity you sack of ****.
    You should try to get a grip. I never questioned your integrity. I don't know anything about your integrity. I do question your judgment in reporting as fact an off the cuff comment at a launch party for the GFX in Dubai by a relatively low level Fuji guy that the GFX will be supported by Capture One. Here is what you stated:

    "Well this is BIG NEWS (emphasis added). I'm at the Fuji launch event for the GFX here in Dubai, and the Fuji representative has just CONFIRMED (emphasis added) that when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One."

    Given the consistent statements from Phase over the past couple of months that they would NOT support the GFX or any other competitor's medium format systems in Capture One, I think I would have taken the off the cuff remark in Dubai with a grain of salt and thought twice before announcing publicly that FUJI has CONFIRMED something as significant as Capture One support for the GFX (i.e., BIG NEWS in your words).
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  13. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    The person at Gulf Photo Plus Dubai who told Zach Arias that the GFX would have Capture One support in response to gerald.d's question was Francois Koumyoujian, Fujifilm Product Manager, Electronic Imaging Products, Fujifilm Middle East. Given that this information came directly from a Fujifilm GFX product manager, does lend it at least some level of veracity, I would think. I certainly hope it proves to be true, and would not be too surprised if it was.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    While I find it interesting that someone from Fuji said this, I have to say that this isn't really a call I would put stock in because typically raw compatibility announcements are made by the software manufacturer rather than the camera manufacturer, and I have seen camera reps make false statements way too many times, not that they were attempting to deceive, but because they simply assumed incorrectly.

    Nothing to fight about guys. We'll all know the truth soon enough. In any event, after trying out the GFX, it was a pass for me. Even though the lighter and more compact platform is somewhat appealing, I think I would much rather shoot the XF for pro work.

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Remember when Phase One announced a distribution and service partnership with Leica? Was it at Photokina when the S2 was first announced? There was a pretty quick u-turn on that one!

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by dnercesian View Post
    While I find it interesting that someone from Fuji said this, I have to say that this isn't really a call I would put stock in because typically raw compatibility announcements are made by the software manufacturer rather than the camera manufacturer, and I have seen camera reps make false statements way too many times, not that they were attempting to deceive, but because they simply assumed incorrectly.

    Nothing to fight about guys. We'll all know the truth soon enough. In any event, after trying out the GFX, it was a pass for me. Even though the lighter and more compact platform is somewhat appealing, I think I would much rather shoot the XF for pro work.
    I've sent a message to Fujifilm Middle East's FB page (where Francois Koumyoujian works) to see if we can get a confirmation. We shall see.

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    "Flackie at a dog and pony show"?

    Really Steve?

    You want to go there?
    I think he is referring to the fuji executive and not you.

    Anyway, thanks for reporting this. Not sure why this got so heated.
    http://www.elundqvist.photo
    twitter: @erik_lundqvist
    instagram: elundqvist.photo
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    I just left a meeting with a Fujifilm UK representative where I had the chance to have a play with the GFX, and the last question I asked him was regarding Capture One.

    Unfortunately, he said it is not true that Capture One will support the GFX RAW files, and the Fuji rep in Dubai should not have said this.
    http://www.elundqvist.photo
    twitter: @erik_lundqvist
    instagram: elundqvist.photo
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #69
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    I just left a meeting with a Fujifilm UK representative where I had the chance to have a play with the GFX, and the last question I asked him was regarding Capture One.

    Unfortunately, he said it is not true that Capture One will support the GFX RAW files, and the Fuji rep in Dubai should not have said this.
    That's too bad. Coming from the DSLR side, I was about to invest in their software for the first time. I would think they would want to draw folks from outside the MF world into their software and perhaps we would eventually want their hardware as well.

  20. #70
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    What I can't understand is why fans of a brand feel the need to enter discussions about other brands. And worse, tend to denigrate people like Doug, who admits his biases.

    There are several posters who use Phase gear, yet rarely do we see this sort of thing on Hasselblad or Fuji threads.

    Why do you think that is, Howard?

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Erlewine View Post
    That's too bad. Coming from the DSLR side, I was about to invest in their software for the first time. I would think they would want to draw folks from outside the MF world into their software and perhaps we would eventually want their hardware as well.
    Maybe they are having discussions about it, but this guy jumped the gun? I am just speculating now. My contact did not say and I did not ask. I don't use C1

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    I for one don't blame Gerald at all. He was at a presentation, the subject came up and a Fuji Rep gave the answer. If I had been there I would reported the same. The flack that has followed is what I feel is reproachful. To the point that some folks are close to calling Gerald a lier. This reminds of the current mess in US politics. Gerald has been a great contributor to this site and I have often used his information for consideration when making a purchase.

    There is no doubt that the comments that Gerald reported are real, it's in the video. watch it.

    Should the subject have been handled differently, yes. If Fuji is working on a P1 C1 solution that is not been announced, that is the way it should have stayed. The camera is supposed to ship on the 1 of March. I have reservations on that, since currently no one is working yet with RAW files and we are real close to the 1st. It's also irresponsible of other photographers most likely under a NDA to mention "they" know C1 will be supported. It's up to Phase One to make that announcement or P1 and Fuji together.

    It's a bit tragic if a marketing rep who has heard rumblings of a possible C1-GFX solution choose to go public. As that could have the adverse effect with P1. For sure, Fuji needs something in the way of software. Their current solution of using a dumbed down (very very dumbed down) version of Silkypix for the X-trans cameras is a joke. That is the worse piece of software I have used in years. Fuji has also been quite content to let Adobe keep using their less than ideal X-trans raw conversion. There has been plenty written on that. And that should have been the first thing that Fuji address years ago. So knowing that C1 has an excellent raw conversion for the X-trans, it's only makes sense that Fuji would attempt to work closer with P1 and C1 on the GFX, especially for the studio shooter when you consider the excellent tethering that C1 offers.

    The camera is supposed to ship early March, odds are if C1 support is coming, we will all know by then. If C1 holds off, Oh Well, there will always be other software out there to use.

    Paul Caldwell
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    What I can't understand is why fans of a brand feel the need to enter discussions about other brands. And worse, tend to denigrate people like Doug, who admits his biases.

    There are several posters who use Phase gear, yet rarely do we see this sort of thing on Hasselblad or Fuji threads.

    Why do you think that is, Howard?
    I have no idea why you are asking me. I use whatever works best for me. I am not a fan of any brand. I am totally brand agnostic. I am loyal to people, not camera companies. I don't hang out in camera specific forums that cover cameras I don't own or or that I am not seriously considering buying. I have zero interest in trying to convince others that my choices are right for anyone other than me. I make up my own mind as to what works best for me by actually using equipment. I have a Hasselblad H2 that I use with a Phase IQ180. I use a Sony A7RII. I now have a Hasselblad X1D. I have a Fuji GFX on order. Depending upon what I find after working with the GFX, I may keep it and sell the X1D, or vice versa.
    I assume you feel the same.
    As for Doug, he is a great resource here and I have the utmost respect for him. Has he made several snarky remarks about Hasselblad? Sure, but that hasn't change my opinion of him.

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    Maybe they are having discussions about it, but this guy jumped the gun? I am just speculating now. My contact did not say and I did not ask. I don't use C1
    I do use C1 for my Phase One files and my Sony A7RII files. It is my preferred raw conversion software today. I also would be thrilled for Phase to open it up for Hasselblad and Fuji, but I don't think it's going to happen. The comments from Phase on the subject have been very consistent.

  25. #75
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave.

    ken
    www.houseoflandscapes.com
    www.kendoophotography.com
    www.carmelfineartprinting.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #76
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave.

    ken

    I agree - Gerald's contributions are valuable and it would be a shame if he departed.

    In using colorful terms like "flackie at a dog and pony show", I wasn't intending to incite Gerald, and I'm sorry if he took it that way.

    I don't know if saying "an executive at the opening" would have produced a different reaction. Being the messenger on a public forum can be quite an experience. Believe me, I've lost count of the times I've posted something and then couldn't sleep that night wondering if what I wrote was stupid, insensitive, overbearing, or just plain incorrect. All out there for eternity for everyone to see forever. It's somewhat nerve wracking, yes?

    If he is leaving because he feels called out for posting shaky evidence that Phase One will support the GFX - that I really can't help. He made the post after all, it's an open forum, and members have a right to question any post, including this one (... which I'm questioning right now ...).


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

  27. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Really?

    Seriously?

    "Being called out for posting shaky evidence?"

    Christ. It makes me embarrassed to be a Phase One customer.

    You try to equate what I have shared with having "posted something and then couldn't sleep that night wondering if what I wrote was stupid, insensitive, overbearing, or just plain incorrect"?

    I reported a fact. The fact that the Fuji rep stated C1 would be supporting the GFX.

    You try to insinuate what I shared was stupid? Insensitive? Overbearing? Incorrect?

    Seriously Steve, take a long hard look at yourself. You waltz in here saying you think it would be a shame if I departed?

    Well I'm buggering off because of you. Sanctimonious little ****.

    Now go chase down Patrick La Roque who has stated that his source was actually not from the Dubai launch, but from an event in Montreal two weeks ago. And that he followed up to verify.

  28. #78
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nykφping Sweden
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Hi,

    It could be that the statement is correct. It happens that things are announced in the background.

    I have noticed that B&H has delivery set at and of march for all three lenses they list, so I would guess it takes a few weeks until the camera ships.

    I have actually seem a few raw files and I was able to process them in RawTherapee. But there are obviously no colour profiles yet, that may be a reason that Fuji is very restrictive with raw files. No colour profiles means no good colour and that could cause some bad perception about the upcoming camera.

    Best regards
    Erik

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I for one don't blame Gerald at all. He was at a presentation, the subject came up and a Fuji Rep gave the answer. If I had been there I would reported the same. The flack that has followed is what I feel is reproachful. To the point that some folks are close to calling Gerald a lier. This reminds of the current mess in US politics. Gerald has been a great contributor to this site and I have often used his information for consideration when making a purchase.

    There is no doubt that the comments that Gerald reported are real, it's in the video. watch it.

    Should the subject have been handled differently, yes. If Fuji is working on a P1 C1 solution that is not been announced, that is the way it should have stayed. The camera is supposed to ship on the 1 of March. I have reservations on that, since currently no one is working yet with RAW files and we are real close to the 1st. It's also irresponsible of other photographers most likely under a NDA to mention "they" know C1 will be supported. It's up to Phase One to make that announcement or P1 and Fuji together.

    It's a bit tragic if a marketing rep who has heard rumblings of a possible C1-GFX solution choose to go public. As that could have the adverse effect with P1. For sure, Fuji needs something in the way of software. Their current solution of using a dumbed down (very very dumbed down) version of Silkypix for the X-trans cameras is a joke. That is the worse piece of software I have used in years. Fuji has also been quite content to let Adobe keep using their less than ideal X-trans raw conversion. There has been plenty written on that. And that should have been the first thing that Fuji address years ago. So knowing that C1 has an excellent raw conversion for the X-trans, it's only makes sense that Fuji would attempt to work closer with P1 and C1 on the GFX, especially for the studio shooter when you consider the excellent tethering that C1 offers.

    The camera is supposed to ship early March, odds are if C1 support is coming, we will all know by then. If C1 holds off, Oh Well, there will always be other software out there to use.

    Paul Caldwell

  29. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave.

    ken
    I have different standards, I guess. I do NOT think it is appropriate to say "F... you" to another poster or call him "a sack of S..T." These kinds of comments are out of line under any circumstances, but I hardly think questioning someone about the accuracy of a rumor and describing the repeated "stories" I have read about C1 supporting GFX files as like Elvis sightings merits such a crude and vitriolic response.

  30. #80
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Really?

    Seriously?

    "Being called out for posting shaky evidence?"

    Christ. It makes me embarrassed to be a Phase One customer.

    You try to equate what I have shared with having "posted something and then couldn't sleep that night wondering if what I wrote was stupid, insensitive, overbearing, or just plain incorrect"?

    I reported a fact. The fact that the Fuji rep stated C1 would be supporting the GFX.

    You try to insinuate what I shared was stupid? Insensitive? Overbearing? Incorrect?

    Seriously Steve, take a long hard look at yourself. You waltz in here saying you think it would be a shame if I departed?

    Well I'm buggering off because of you. Sanctimonious little ****.

    Now go chase down Patrick La Roque who has stated that his source was actually not from the Dubai launch, but from an event in Montreal two weeks ago. And that he followed up to verify.

    No Gerald, I was trying to think of why someone would react so violently as you have to this thread, and sharing of my own personal second guessing in my posts througtout my time on GetDPI, which have nothing to do with your posts.

    I can't seem to write anything without you being offended, and I feel like your offense obfuscates the fact that your post was presented yes, as a Fact, and yes, as Big News, and yes, Confirmation. All this was said by you, and the fact that anyone should challenge this seems like the biggest insult to you. Well, I'm sorry you feel so insulted if I don't agree that your factual post confirms anything.

    I'm not here to drive anyone off, but I'm also not here to be attacked by you.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

  31. #81
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Two things:

    1. "Being called out for posting shaky evidence?" So much of what we discuss here is a lot more shaky than what Gerald posted. He told us what he'd heard, from a company rep, and posted a video. I guess he needed to have more reliable sources than that? Give me a break.

    2. If Gerald were to withdraw from this site, it would be a loss.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    There is a video of a GFX seminar over at Fujirumors with a speaker and rep saying that C1 was happening.

  33. #83
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Two things:

    1. "Being called out for posting shaky evidence?" So much of what we discuss here is a lot more shaky than what Gerald posted. He told us what he'd heard, from a company rep, and posted a video. I guess he needed to have more reliable sources than that? Give me a break.

    2. If Gerald were to withdraw from this site, it would be a loss.

    I agree with point 2.

    For point 1, yes, a lot of what is discussed here is extremely shaky. That doesn't change my opinion that a Fuji Product Manager at a Fuji Camera Launch stating it has Capture One support is shaky evidence of it happening. And in fact elsewhere in this thread, Eric Lundqvist states he asked a Fuji representative if it was true and the Fuji representative told him no, it was not true. So how does this make what another Fuji rep said not shaky? If Fuji is saying it, and then not saying it, and Phase One is saying nothing, and there is no official announcement, then yes, it is shaky as hell.

    So, I'm sorry, but I'll stand by what I said about shaky evidence. I believe in facts. Yes, it's a fact that person said it in the video. No that does not mean it is a fact it is happening. I like to hear things from the lions mouth itself, and the lion in this case would be the company who actually writes the software. Until I hear it from them - and historically it would be the complete opposite of Phase One's traditional stance and strategy as a company to offer this - I can choose to not believe and to see anyone else stating it as yes, shaky. I'm sorry the term shaky bothers anyone - I simply believe in true or not true. If it is not true, it is at best, yes, shaky. I can't believe I'm having to defend this.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

  34. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Sure, it's not fact, but it makes for very interesting discussion and it seems the chances of it happening are looking more likely.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    In this heated environment, can we try to distinguish something - that there is a confusion underlying all of this:

    - a fact was reported - someone stood up and said something. That was a fact and worth reporting.
    - a factual statement - that what they said is true. And this is not so clear and remains unknown.

    In the realm of the net, these two get mixed up all the time. But they are fundamentally different.

    One can understand Gerald getting upset about being called out on the statement, when he thought he was presenting the fact of its delivery. Here, the very presentation of the fact is often read as a new reality. If it was a bit overstated, this can take on its own separate life.

    But hey, if we've learned anything from Kevin B. on LL and the Hassy story, even a little bit of misplaced tone can go a long way in the 'net and escalate.

    What C1 does about the Fuji will inevitably become clearer over the next few months, so it doesn't seem this point needs to be pushed much further. Hopefully this community doesn't have to meltdown over this. Might both parties be willing to step back a bit, and please just let this one cool off?
    www.gigi-photos.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #86
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave. 99 percent of us if at the pre

    ken
    I'm banning no one but let's cool this down. 99 percent of us would report the same news if at the presentation.

    Suggestion get off the keyboard for a hour and chill out. There are no nuclear bombs here. It's just a discussion no need to stick your finger in the trigger to stop the war.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 17th February 2017 at 11:26.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Just to change the subject slightly, I sure hope that Cambo will make a GFX mount for the Actus. I would be an almost for sure buyer at that point. Very exciting times.....

    Victor

  38. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    I hope C1 does support the GFX. If that becomes the case, I hope they also decide to support the X1D, Leica S and Pentax.
    More options can only be a good thing.

    Personally, I like C1 but prefer using LR. That is saying nothing about attaining the ultimate IQ, as I've never compared conversions with my Leaf files.

  39. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    "In using colorful terms like "flackie at a dog and pony show", I wasn't intending to incite Gerald, and I'm sorry if he took it that way. "

    shooting the messenger. Why would Gerald doubt what an official regional representative has said?
    TBH I would take the word of a regional representative from a brand over a dealer any day as they are in the direct employ not a box shifter, despite in this instance giving the wrong info.

    We have a Cambo voice on here now, maybe they can throw some light on an adapter for the Actus?
    They are just tools for a job.

  40. #90
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One.
    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Doug Peterson will know if this is true. Doug?
    Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    4 hours since starting the thread and no denial from doug, must be true then.
    It is not true.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  41. #91
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    "In using colorful terms like "flackie at a dog and pony show", I wasn't intending to incite Gerald, and I'm sorry if he took it that way. "

    shooting the messenger. Why would Gerald doubt what an official regional representative has said?
    TBH I would take the word of a regional representative from a brand over a dealer any day as they are in the direct employ not a box shifter, despite in this instance giving the wrong info.

    We have a Cambo voice on here now, maybe they can throw some light on an adapter for the Actus?

    Ok, that's it. I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry.

    I have the flu this week, my head is fuzzy, I should be resting and recuperating, and no, my writing is not reflecting what I am trying to say, I am doing a very lousy job of that. And for that I apologize. I can go back over what I myself wrote, and read it, and know what I was trying to say, and then I am asking myself, why did I write it like that??

    Everything I write is clearly coming out the wrong way, so I'll say no more for now. I know that everyone here will be thankful for that.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  42. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Ok, that's it. I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry.

    I have the flu this week, my head is fuzzy, I should be resting and recuperating, and no, my writing is not reflecting what I am trying to say, I am doing a very lousy job of that. And for that I apologize. I can go back over what I myself wrote, and read it, and know what I was trying to say, and then I am asking myself, why did I write it like that??

    Everything I write is clearly coming out the wrong way, so I'll say no more for now. I know that everyone here will be thankful for that.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Good red wine is the healer of flu..... Make sure to drink copius amounts and no cheap stuff. Everything will be fine on Monday..

    Victor

  43. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    With the solid "no" from Doug, I would take that as official that P1 again has chosen to keep their head in the sand on support for non P1 MF cameras.

    Sad, as P1 currently has nothing to compete with the Fuji or Hasselblad and odds are that the Fuji will be a very successful camera in the worldwide market and the Hasselblad already has. P1 has a chance to grow software market share and software mind share. And the growth could be considerable based on projected placements of both of these cameras. Cameras which answer a lot of pent up demand since previously the cost point of entry into MF was too much for many. The knowledge of the quality of this particular Sony 50MP chip has already been shown over the past 2.5 years in both P1 product, the Hasselblad 50c and now X1D, and soon the GFX. Who knows how long it will be before Sony realizes that this is a market that they also want to compete in. It's fair to state that the mass market will be in the cropped 645 sensor not the "full frame" versions. Sony already seems to have plans for another version of this sized chip in the 75 to 100MP range, and it's safe to assume it will come with many more up to date features and or advances.

    I have enjoyed tremendous success with P1 products, however I will also state that I have a problem with a company chooses to exclude certain cameras from a "total software solution" because they deem them as competitive when in reality P1 has nothing to compete with either the X1D or GFX. Also when P1 ever does release a product it will still be excessively priced and no matter what it will be considerably late to the game. I realize that there are many on this forum that are willing to pay that price but I believe over time that the numbers will decline. Phase could gain considerable software market share and a pretty much steady revenue stream by changing their current direction, but that appears not to be the case. Many companies have learned that the revenue stream from software is by far better than the revenue stream from bring out new hardware each year and covering the excessive cost of development and long term warranty cost.

    I have enjoyed the use of C1 over the years since the early days of 3.7.x releases, and hope that some day P1 will change their policy in regards to supporting other MF cameras.

    Paul Caldwell
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    With the solid "no" from Doug, I would take that as official that P1 again has chosen to keep their head in the sand on support for non P1 MF cameras.

    Sad, as P1 currently has nothing to compete with the Fuji or Hasselblad and odds are that the Fuji will be a very successful camera in the worldwide market and the Hasselblad already has. P1 has a chance to grow software market share and software mind share. And the growth could be considerable based on projected placements of both of these cameras. Cameras which answer a lot of pent up demand since previously the cost point of entry into MF was too much for many. The knowledge of the quality of this particular Sony 50MP chip has already been shown over the past 2.5 years in both P1 product, the Hasselblad 50c and now X1D, and soon the GFX. Who knows how long it will be before Sony realizes that this is a market that they also want to compete in. It's fair to state that the mass market will be in the cropped 645 sensor not the "full frame" versions. Sony already seems to have plans for another version of this sized chip in the 75 to 100MP range, and it's safe to assume it will come with many more up to date features and or advances.

    I have enjoyed tremendous success with P1 products, however I will also state that I have a problem with a company chooses to exclude certain cameras from a "total software solution" because they deem them as competitive when in reality P1 has nothing to compete with either the X1D or GFX. Also when P1 ever does release a product it will still be excessively priced and no matter what it will be considerably late to the game. I realize that there are many on this forum that are willing to pay that price but I believe over time that the numbers will decline. Phase could gain considerable software market share and a pretty much steady revenue stream by changing their current direction, but that appears not to be the case. Many companies have learned that the revenue stream from software is by far better than the revenue stream from bring out new hardware each year and covering the excessive cost of development and long term warranty cost.

    I have enjoyed the use of C1 over the years since the early days of 3.7.x releases, and hope that some day P1 will change their policy in regards to supporting other MF cameras.

    Paul Caldwell
    I share your desire for C! to be open so that I can use it for all of my camera systems. It would be great for all of us as photographers. However, I have to believe that Phase has VERY carefully analyzed this issue internally, and they have concluded that their "closed" approach is the more economically compelling option. I haven't seen the numbers so how can I disagree with a company whose survival depends upon being right. On the other hand, the market for medium format camera systems is no longer Phase and Hasselblad, with both competing at the higher end of the market. There is a new and very significant player at the lower end of the medium format market, Fuji. If Phase decides that it can't or won't compete in that market segment, Phase may very well change its position. For now, I am pretty sure that they want to keep their options open.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #95
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    135

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    I hear you Paul. I understand why Phase may choose this route, and certainly they've "run the numbers", but personally I'd be surprised if a decision to buy a Phase Camera over a Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica and now Fuji would be based on the ability to use C1 by that many buyers. I'm not saying there are some, but not sure this really affects the numbers as much as they think.

    I for one don't worry about it to much, because I believe I've mastered enough over the past 15 years that I can get a print I'm happy with using any tool out there. I'm doubtful that anyone looking at the prints on the wall of my gallery will care, or even be able to tell what software I used to process the image. Side by side, perhaps, but differences are negligible.

    So I personally believe Phase's logic might be flawed, and there might be options they could explore, but lack of C1 support won't stop me from buying a GFX. The only thing that will stop me from buying a GFX in the next year is if Phase announces a similar solution, then I might wait and see. That doesn't mean I'll quit using my XF/IQ3 100, but the future is here for MF and I hope Phase gets on board sooner than later.
    wayne
    My gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Wayne I'm no expert as I don't use C1 but I do think many Pros who shoot tethered do factor in C1 support in their choice of camera system and this is why P1 have made a decision not to support other MF offerings. C1 is a powerful piece of software especially for tethering, and certainly has a great deal more features than Phocus or Silky pix. My workflow is perhaps a bit different from most, I want my (usually tethered) files to come in reliably (they do) to a piece of software (Phocus in my case) that can do the heavy lifting (say major tone adjustments in 16bit) before I export to PS for the clever stuff. In other words I don't really care about the extended feature set of C1 because I don't need it, I have LR for image management and PS for retouching. Again that's just me.

  47. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Just to change the subject slightly, I sure hope that Cambo will make a GFX mount for the Actus. I would be an almost for sure buyer at that point. Very exciting times.....

    Victor
    they answered to an email - yes there will be a new actus version for the gfx

    the last two days i had food shootings and i was so happy to work tethered with c1 - in my opinion you cannot compare it with lightroom when it comes to tethered shooting !

    for my professional work the combination of camera and software is more important than megapixels ... if c1 will not support gfx i will stick on my great canon 5div system.

  48. #98
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Showing my bias here but I always have over the years. I'm one not to buy a camera without C1 support. Tethering is just one huge feature set why I use it. This decision has come down to passing on a Leica S system, Pentax 645 and yes even to a certain extent Hassy although I could deal with Phocus if you pushed me. I honestly do not like LR at all but I said that before too. This is really the only area in photography where I have brand loyalty is my software. It's just me some and most folks love LR and that's great , I'm just stuck preferring C1. I already sort of blew off this Fuji because of the non support. This was exciting news but as usual in this industry a lot of politics and competitive decisions leave us end users with little solutions to work with.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Phase one has "protected" their medium format camera market against other brands by not supplying profiles for other medium format cameras. This way they might influence a few people to use phase one camera instead of other cameras, but at the same time they will sell much less licences of software.
    Maybe they have realized this and
    change this strategy with Fuji gfx, I would welcome if they do change this behaviour. (Even though after I was forced to switch to LR when buying into the S system I got so used to LR that I dont want to spend the time to switch back...).
    would be great if we all had the choice.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

    Somebody with 10k to spend on a 50mp MFD system isn't going to wait until they have 25k to spend just so they can use capture one. It's great software but the alternatives are certainly good enough to shoot tethered with.

    Over at the 'other forum' somebody has said it will be supported but tethering will need a separate piece of software. (I'm guessing a watched folder) or is it that the sony sensor is supported therefore the files can be processed?

    *Disclaimer* I am only reporting on what I have understood from anecdotal 2nd hand information and cannot supply verification or confirmation that this information is correct or not. I am not liable for any financial loss from purchasing decisions based on this information.
    They are just tools for a job.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •