The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iq3 100

tashley

Subscriber Member
I can only speak for myself but I can't imagine anyone with a 3100 not using live view on a Tech Cam. The ES is my only method of taking an image. Shutter speeds are extremely accurate and the ability to use 1/3 stops is a godsend. Shutter delays are available and even long enough to take a selfie!! Lens choices are personal but I prefer to have more reach than others so its even kind of rare for me to even shoot my 60mm. I would much rather be longer and shift left/right for composition. I don't own a 40mm but do have the 35XL but rarely use it as I usually don't have those needs. But when I do I'm glad its there. My 120 and 180 get a lot of use.

Victor
Is there any downside to the ES? Lower DR for example?

I used to use an IQ 180 with a tech cam setup but like you I started to find the process arduous and it wasn't getting as much use. I got rid of it all about 14 months ago (terrible idea) and the just recently picked up an XF kit with the IQ3 100 after having used it in Antarctica for 3 weeks. I got the A-series option with the HR 23 and 35 and now I'm finding that I immensely enjoy using the the little TC with these small lenses. As others have said, electronic shutter was the deal changer for me. I use Live View for both composing and focus and works beautifully. Also with the a-series, the LCC is built-in (you do have to select the lens and you only get the 3 that Phase sells) but it works like charm.

vjbelle

Is there any downside to the ES? Lower DR for example?
YES....... it will cause you to have a continual smile on your face which, at times, may seem odd to others.:) There are only pluses and no minuses. Well.... one minus. It is a rolling shutter which cannot be used for images that would contain large laterally moving objects. This has been covered in another thread and can be overcome by using the leaf shutter. I have never had an image where this has been as issue.

Victor

Edit: Global electronic shutters are right around the corner. Probably the first use will be with Fuji since they are one of the developers along with Panasonic. Everyone, though, sooner or later will have a global electronic shutter which will have the ability to stop action just as a leaf shutter.

vjbelle

This is how I travel through airports. Everything I need is in the Pelican 1510 case - 6 lenses of which two are still in Alpa mount. I don't use my 150mm lens which is still in Alpa mount on the Actus as I don't like all of the forward weight on the front standard. The other two Alpa lenses (60mm, 100mm) are shorter and don't have this problem. I've taken my 35XL out of the Alpa mount because it wouldn't reach infinity on the Actus unless mounted on a copal 0 lens plate. Removing lenses from an Alpa Helicoid mount is extremely easy. My hiking bag gets packed in my checked luggage with anything I want stuffed into it - so it doesn't take up any extra space. Tripod and head also go into checked luggage.

Victor

Attachments

daf

Howard..... I wouldn't lug around 35lbs. either. That's heavier than my Pelican 1520 and my entire camera system. I weigh in at around 28lbs with 7 lenses, back, camera, batteries, etc. I always pack an additional bag for hiking and at the moment its a Lowepro Flipside 300. My Actus, the back, three lenses, Lee filter holder, bellows and other odds and ends fits in like a dream and weighs less than 11lbs. which to me is real doable. I don't doubt that an XDS would be lighter but for me it would be giving up too much as my only camera. I also printed 40 inch prints from my Leaf 50 CMOS that were very impressive so I agree with your assessment.

My images show the camera, back, bellows, Lee filter holder and three lense (Schneider 60mm, 72mm and 120mm). I can carry any three of my seven lenses. Everything is super safe.... the 60mm is in the front zipper section and the 120 is in the lens bag. I always carry the tripod and head in my hand which weighs 3.55lbs. (Gitzo 1531 and Arca P0). Set up takes about 1 minute and I'm ready to shoot.

Cheers......

Victor
Hi Victor,
You said you're using a 1531 gitzo, i would never have though about a serie 1 for this amount of gear, but do you find it to be sturdy enough to work quickly or do you have to make special care to ensure stability?

Pemihan

I have the 40HR and before that had the 35XL which I used on a Leaf Aptus-II 7. I sold it in favor of the 40HR when I moved to an IQ160 but actually miss it. I wonder how it will hold up on 80 or 100MP when shot without or with very limited shifts with the improved LCC algorithm in Capture One 10. I know center filter and LCC is mandatory.
If it works ok, it will be a great lightweight one lens combo.

I had one and ditched it for the 40 HR. It needed to be shot with a graduated centre filter and LCC and couldn't be shifted far. Too much hassle.

Last edited:

dchew

Dave..... I wish I could wrap my head around Capture Pilot but I have found it to be a little buggy with connections issues and then staying conected. ... However, I would like to have a way to fire the 3100 at will without touching the camera. This would come in handy in windy conditions...
Victor
Victor,
I'm still experimenting, but just to be clear I'm not (yet) considering using the iPhone when the camera is on a tripod. Although I'm pretty sure Wayne Fox does that a lot. I'm talking about belly shooting. :eek:

I do think we have some learning to do in how to press the back button with no delay in a way to get essentially no movement. When I mount the 150 and run some tests comparing firing with a cable release vs. tapping the back with no delay, I can get about the same % success (I remember you and I agreeing how careful one needs to be even with a cable). So with some practice, we might be successful with a technique similar to "squeezing the trigger." For example, in the photo below little things like resting the forefinger on my second finger makes a difference. At least I'll say I haven't given up yet!

Now this thread is getting interesting for me. So are you TechCam camera guys focusing via LV on the 3100? Assume ES is the way to go.

I know nothing about TechCam's, but the light weight options available sure are tempting.

What are your favorite 3 lenses assuming landscape images with wide and short tele wants. Guess the 60 you mentioned works with stitching. How about the 40?
Again, I'm like Victor in shooting longer than most. I have the 40, 60, 90 and 150. 40 is my least-used lens. I'm considering selling it and getting the 50. Seems odd to do that with the 60 so close, but right now I backpack with the 60, 90, 150. I'd rather have a bit more separation between the 60 and 90. The 32 is a great lens but I wouldn't carry it into the mountains over night. Too heavy and too delicate, not to mention too wide for me. This is such a personal preference though. All of these are great, relatively speaking, as is the 70hr-w, 72xl, 120, etc.

The weight savings is the big advantage right now compared to the XL route. But these things definitely have their limitations. No viewfinder, no meter, no auto focus... But that is what a few of us odd birds love about them. :clap:

Now if I could just find that seismograph button on the STC!

Dave

Last edited:

vjbelle

Hi Victor,
You said you're using a 1531 gitzo, i would never have though about a serie 1 for this amount of gear, but do you find it to be sturdy enough to work quickly or do you have to make special care to ensure stability?
Absolutely...... I have lots of tripods but the 1531 is plenty sturdy. The camera only weighs 6.65lbs. and that's with my heaviest lens (60mm XL). I always center the weight fore and aft and along with using the ES I have not seen issues regarding vibration. Remember that this is the 'three' section leg and not the 4 section leg which I would not use - and also own.

Victor

Edit: I could use my Gitzo 3541 and Arca Cube which I also like a lot but it adds an additional 3.25lbs. That's a lot of extra weight and is the reason I use my 1531 and P0. I've used that combination in some very windy conditions with very good results.

Last edited:

vjbelle

I have the 40HR and before that had the 35XL which I used on a Leaf Aptus-II 7. I sold it in favor of the 40HR when I moved to an IQ160 but actually miss it. I wonder how it will hold up on 80 or 100MP when shot without or with very limited shifts with the improved LCC algorithm in Capture One 10. I know center filter and LCC is mandatory.
If it works ok, it will be a great lightweight one lens combo.
The 35XL is an absolutely great lens with '0' distortion which is one of its claims to fame along with its sharpness and light weight. But, movements are tuff. I use mine with a center filter and nothing else. I could probably ditch the CF if I had to since the 3100 can deal with light falloff so easily but I leave it on. 5mm is doable. I have shifted 10mm with success but it depends on the image. I was just in Death Valley and shot the Charcoal Kilns with the 35mm with 7mm rise and the LCC didn't give me a completely clean sky. There was still a slight hint of red ting on the sky upper edges. It was very easily corrected using Color Mechanic (my go to difficult color correction tool) but that was an extra step. However even at 10mm, as a plus, I find the 35XL holds its sharpness and with '0' distortion.

I could buy a Rody 32 but I just can't justify it as it might see 5 images a year. I'm not in that neck of the woods focal length wise.

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm in the 40HR, 70HR, SK120 club as my go to lenses with the IQ3100. I do also have a longer set up with Rodie 135/5.6 and SK 210/5.6 Symmar but that requires a longer base rail set up. These all with Cambo Actus DB+.

There were questions about the 35XL and full frame sensors - I sold mine after I adopted the IQ160/260 because of the horrible LCC, improved by the center filter but ultimately a fickle lens if you used movements on a full frame back. I can only imagine that it's worse on an IQ3100. That said, Phase One's LCC processing has improved significantly since I last used the 35XL.

The ES function is a game changer as there's no need for all of the cables and the workflow is simple. I use a three second delay after push and I prefer to shoot from live view because it makes it easy to be reminded that the shutter is closed after a dark frame is shot (you have to close down the shutter at least once for a dark reference when you change exposure settings). So far the only thing that bugs me is that I have to re-enter the f-stop data every time I power off the back, plus given the amount of real estate that the list covers I wish that P1 had halved it and put in a focal length list field next to it so that I could have focal length and aperture in EXIF data.

ES also has improved use of longer lenses like the 300 APO on the XF - the DF+/XF shutter can make these lenses 'ring' somewhat and the electronic shutter solves that problem for me.

algrove

Now if I could just find that seismograph button on the STC!

Dave

Dave
I know when you have to go (yes) out in the cold stomping your feet does not help with or without a seismograph. I set mine to 8 seconds and it is not long enough sometimes.

I was recently up at Tunnel View with just too many others and my neighbors were moving all over the place. Every image was a write off. I figured 6am at 25 degrees would keep many home even though a Saturday. WRONG. Friday was no good due to weather so now I'll have to wait for next year as I don't get there often from FL.

Give me the wilderness and being alone like when I captured that Yosemite Borealis I posted in MF Images a week or so ago.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Dave..... I wish I could wrap my head around Capture Pilot but I have found it to be a little buggy with connections issues and then staying conected. I bought a new iPad just to use Capture Pilot with my 3100 thinking that live view would be enhanced. No way..... it turned out to be a somewhat fuzzy image that didn't provide anywhere new the detail I needed. It also had a big impact on battery life so I just stopped using it. However, I would like to have a way to fire the 3100 at will without touching the camera. This would come in handy in windy conditions. Right now I shoot with a 2 second delay which eliminates any self imposed vibrations but that's too long when waiting for a lull in windy conditions. So, I'll probably visit wifi once again with my iPhone 7 just to fire the ES. I've shot in some very demanding conditions with easily 30MPH winds and managed to always get the shot waiting for lulls. Maybe it would take 10 tries but I always got the shot.

Victor
Interesting. While I occasionally see connection problems I have found Capture Pilot using my iPhone 7+ to be my preferred method of shooting with Arca and frequently even with the XF where I will use it to focus. I really haven't had any major issues, sharp.

I've had a couple of situations where I've been able to use the camera with Capture Pilot that were not possible before, either extending the tripod to full height and controlling composition and focus with the phone, or using a tech camera almost on the ground. It's really nice to be standing next to your camera which is 10" off the ground and fine tuning the shot, as well as waiting for the right moment. I use ES whenever possible so I don't have to touch the tech camera to take a shot.

Not sure why you are seeing issues.

narikin

LCC shots are still very much needed, so there is no escaping that. I doubt there is any wide lens that does not require LCC.
Lenses on the long end do not need LCC, for instance 90HRSW does not require it even when shifted 20mm.
Agree, but disagree... the 90 HRSW certainly benefits from LCCs.

It is THE best lens in MF tech digital at the moment, simply stunning performance over the whole image circle - why would you want to not use it at its best - with an LCC?!

dchew

Give me the wilderness and being alone like when I captured that Yosemite Borealis I posted in MF Images a week or so ago.
I'll drink to that. Great image BTW. :chug:

Normally I'm at 3 seconds. But with situations like Victor's flowers or timing waves it can get frustrating. If we practice @ zero delay a bit, we can be more confident when those situations arise.

Dave

Iktinos

Not Available
LCC shots are still very much needed, so there is no escaping that. I doubt there is any wide lens that does not require LCC.
Lenses on the long end do not need LCC, for instance 90HRSW does not require it even when shifted 20mm.
Of course there is an escaping out of this... If long mounting distance lenses are used, there is no need for LCC... and further than this, there is no need for one for use two (or three) series of lenses for all what he does (other that software "correction" is better be avoided). Therefore what is really needed, is a maker (or two, or all) to decide that he makes wider image circle lenses, that are sharp if wider image circles are required and then one can have one series of lenses!

I mean think of it as they do it in cinema where there is no compatibility issues... Think like you can use Nikkor 19mm, Hasselblad H 24mm, Contax 35mm, Mamiya RZ 50mm and then longer on the same mount and then have the same on your MF DSLR... it wouldn't be anything else needed, would there?

vjbelle

Interesting. While I occasionally see connection problems I have found Capture Pilot using my iPhone 7+ to be my preferred method of shooting with Arca and frequently even with the XF where I will use it to focus. I really haven't had any major issues, sharp.
Wayne..... I tried my iPhone 7+ and its a far superior solution to the iPad. Image is sharp and I'm able to fire the ES instantly - just what I wanted. Thanks for posting.....

Victor

algrove

Wayne..... I tried my iPhone 7+ and its a far superior solution to the iPad. Image is sharp and I'm able to fire the ES instantly - just what I wanted. Thanks for posting.....

Victor
Anyone know if the 6+ works the same as the 7+ on the Phase or is the & screen just that much better?

vjbelle

I would think there would be very little difference between 6+ and 7+. I have no intention of using the phone for focusing or viewing. I want to have a remote way to fire the ES. I much prefer to use the back with a 4X Peak loupe for focusing and I like the fact that a histogram is instantly available on the back so I use that exclusively. I also use the back at 100% to check for sharpness with my Peak Loupe. Works out very well.

Victor