The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF and IQ3-100 Review

Jeffrey

Quirky? Yes, but like with many things the quirks are overcome with experience. I shoot the IQ3-100 with the XF body and with using the back on my Cambo WRS-5000 technical camera. I'm always amazed at the image quality but particularly when shooting the technical camera. The printed images speak for themselves. There isn't anything like it.

rriley

Quirky? Yes, but like with many things the quirks are overcome with experience. I shoot the IQ3-100 with the XF body and with using the back on my Cambo WRS-5000 technical camera. I'm always amazed at the image quality but particularly when shooting the technical camera. The printed images speak for themselves. There isn't anything like it.
I agree, especially with the "quirks" and "experience" part.

And that review is the most accurate and informative that I've seen yet on the P1 IQ3-100

Paul2660

One thing they noted was startup time at 12 seconds.

All P1 backs share this slow speed sure wish P1 could improve on that.

It's not a limitation of the 100MP Sony chips as the 50MP P1 backs are just as slow. Other cameras using this same 50MP chip take about 1 second from power in to ability to shoot.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

A pretty good review. I agree with the comment re overexposure - my XF has -0.7 dialled in permanently for that reason. However, I find hand-holding much better than described. I shoot a lot of moving wildlife (and railway trains!) without a tripod. The camera has so much mass that once steady, it tends to stay that way!

beano_z

One thing they noted was startup time at 12 seconds.

All P1 backs share this slow speed sure wish P1 could improve on that.

It's not a limitation of the 100MP Sony chips as the 50MP P1 backs are just as slow. Other cameras using this same 50MP chip take about 1 second from power in to ability to shoot.

Paul Caldwell
Didn't you guys notice that the startup time depends on the type / capacity of CF card inside or am I talking about different things here?

I did notice that using the 64GB CF card, the digital back too much longer to start up than when I'm using a 16GB card. Or more accurate, the back starts up at the same pace, but it takes much longer for it to check the 64GB card, so I'd have to wait longer before I can start shooting or review images on the card. But during this checking time, I could change settings or do other stuff on the camera.

Paul2660

You are correct that a 16gb card will startup faster. But I don't use cards smaller than 32GB mostly 64 now and they are much slower. I am using lexar cards which are some of the fastest cards.

Startup is a bit too slow for me. My Lexar cards are the 1066x UDMA 7 64 and 128GB

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

algrove

You are correct that a 16gb card will startup faster. But I don't use cards smaller than 32GB mostly 64 now and they are much slower. I am using lexar cards which are some of the fastest cards.

Startup is a bit too slow for me.

Paul Caldwell
Can' find the 64's anywhere right now, possibly due to Lexar's change of plans. I saw someone in Alabama selling them on Amazon, but at those low prices I was afraid they were fake ones. Anyone used this guy?

Paul2660

Can' find the 64's anywhere right now, possibly due to Lexar's change of plans. I saw someone in Alabama selling them on Amazon, but at those low prices I was afraid they were fake ones. Anyone used this guy?
Yes, the 64GB dried up over night in the Compact Flash size, great card, will miss them. You can still get the 128GB, which is also a great card at B&H

Paul Caldwell

dchew

Lexar 64gb is my favorite too (well, was). 400 images is about right for me. More than that and I'm putting too much faith in one storage medium. As I said in the other thread, love the sharp lip on the card; makes it easier to pull out of the back even with thin gloves on.

Dave

algrove

Yes, the 64GB dried up over night in the Compact Flash size, great card, will miss them. You can still get the 128GB, which is also a great card at B&H

Paul Caldwell
Thanks Paul, Saw that, but B&H raised the price whereas Adorama maintained the $200 for 2x128GB price.