The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture pilot question

strok

Hi guys, after years of waiting for an android version of capture pilot I end up buying an iPad mini.
Trying to read manuals on setting it up and from what I can see it requires 3 things (digital back, computer, iPad).
Is there any way to connect the iPad directly to a digital back?

Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi guys, after years of waiting for an android version of capture pilot I end up buying an iPad mini.
Trying to read manuals on setting it up and from what I can see it requires 3 things (digital back, computer, iPad).
Is there any way to connect the iPad directly to a digital back?

Thanks
On the Phase One IQ2 and IQ3 series there is a Capture Pilot Server and wifi built into the back itself. With any other digital back there is no way to work directly with Capture Pilot; you must tether and use the computer as the server.

Paul2660

If your back has Wifi, then set up the wifi in a adhoc connection. Your iPad will see it and then make the connection.

On the IQ2 backs, at leas the IQ260, I never found the wifi that stable, i.e. dropped connections a lot and got confused if you are attempting to bring it up with Capture Pilot when other networks are visible. And even in the field it tended to drop.

IQ3 is very solid with this connection. However P1 has never figured out that the 100% view on a iPhone or iPad is worthless for focus checking period. Even if you select "respect retina". You really can't check the finer details unless you can see the image at 100% at least for me. The 100% view when tethered is excellent, but of course not as convenient.

Camera controls work great from iPhone or iPad. And in a way you can get a tilting LCD which helps at times with setup.

Paul Caldwell

strok

Thank you guys,
Was able to make it work via adhoc connection (IQ3 100 + ipad mini 128gb)
Few more questions.
1) while I was testing the setup for 20min my brand new iPad froze twice. Is it normal?
2) Preview images, is it something that being stored on the iPad? is yes, how can I get access to images if camera is disconnected.
3) The DB seems to be getting hot and batteries draining way more quickly, is it normal?
4) For extra $ you can buy more controls but it says it requires a C1+computer, are you still getting some extra controls just with DB to iPad setup?

Thank you

vjbelle

Paul is very right concerning focus on an iPhone or iPad. However, in a pinch, its better than nothing. I used it when I was in Lofoten as there was no other way for me to focus or compose a particular shot except for using my iPhone. The entire Capture Pilot experience is a little buggy but I think worth the effort it if for nothing else as a wireless firing mechanism and rough composition.

Good luck.....

Victor

Paul2660

Nothing is stored on the iPad/iPhone, IMO another oversight by P1 as it would be nice to have a smaller jpg that could be posted online as most cameras allow.

On the iPad, I will often screen print the image if the conditions allow for it, (not often), and then just use that image with some snapseed.

From the iPad, you should be able to fire the camera, use Liveview for preview. There are other features I just never used them.

Once you take the shot, the image should appear on the iPad, (a jpg) that you can attempt to zoom in on. The zoom again will not work up to 100% due to the resolution issues. But you can get a pretty good idea. Once you break the connection the images will no longer be on the iPad unless you screen print them to your photos. Each time you make the connection whatever images are on the camera will attempt to load previews to the iPad. Note, if you have a larger card, this can and will take time and often the process will break down and freeze. So I stayed with 32GB cards when I worked with Capture Pilot.

Battery life will be effected for sure on the back not sure about additional heat build up.

Paul Caldwell