The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestion for technical camera for architecture/long exposures

daf

. It means big movements, a lens at about 24mm equivalent in 35mm format that performs well with big movements .

Thank you, Giulio
Well, i don't know what you mean by «big movements» but there is not a single techcam lens with a field of view equivalent to 24mm in 135format that will offer you more than 8/10mm of shift on the current cmos sensor... and keep in mind that:
- 8/10mm on a 33x44sensor = 6/7mm on FF (24x36)
- 8/10mm on a 40x56 sensor = 4/6 mm on a FF 24x36
Those number might be enough or not but in any cases i would not call them «big movement»

Ben730

I second that, it easily gives you around 2 stops extra in the corners, which depending on subject can be very important in keeping the noise levels in check in the corners.

Shooting architecture can be tricky lighting wise, often we easily exceed the already huge dynamic range of today's digital backs and obviously, artificial lighting is not an option most of the time, hence I'd rather live with the drawbacks of the centre filter.
Centerfilters often provoke ghosting and internal reflections. The Rodenstock CFs are better than the Schneiders, but both are one piece of glass more and can destroy the picture.
I normaly do more than one exposure. If needed, I copy a brighter corner in....

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thank you all for your suggestions, I think I will look for a second-hand IQ150 + Cambo WRS + Rodenstock 32mm. The problem is that I am based in Europe and the second-hand market for these items is quite limited.

Kind regards, Giulio

If you have any trips to the US coming up you could evaluate new or used or refurbished gear in our NYC and LA offices. The flight might end up being worth it as we have a large range of gear, plus those are not bad cities to visit :).

For the 32HR especially if highly recommend a new lens or a used lens you can test extensively before buying. The front element of that lens is very large and a single bad bump (whether a bang that leaves a mark or a bump that leaves no visible mar) can bring it out of alignment.

Paul Spinnler

Quick question: Is a TC plus a 100mpx back still the best for archictectural photography or are we at a point where 35mm has largely replaced MF in that area?

Been away from MF for a few years, so this is a honest question. Can 32mm be used with 100mpx backs?

What about the next generation at photokina? Will there be a150 back that can be used with these TC lenses or will colour cast make it impossible??

Thanks
Paul

yatlee

I second that, it easily gives you around 2 stops extra in the corners, which depending on subject can be very important in keeping the noise levels in check in the corners.

Shooting architecture can be tricky lighting wise, often we easily exceed the already huge dynamic range of today's digital backs and obviously, artificial lighting is not an option most of the time, hence I'd rather live with the drawbacks of the centre filter.
Agree. I recently got the IQ3-100mp trichromatic. When doing extreme shift (15mm or more) and LCC with and without center filter on the 32mm, it not only gives a cleaner exposure, but strangely also fix some wired red color cast issues that can't be fixed by LCC without CF. So, at least on the IQ3-100, the CF is a must.

I was able to get away with the IQ260, but it's a different story for 100mp.

Ben730

Agree. I recently got the IQ3-100mp trichromatic. When doing extreme shift (15mm or more) and LCC with and without center filter on the 32mm, it not only gives a cleaner exposure, but strangely also fix some wired red color cast issues that can't be fixed by LCC without CF. So, at least on the IQ3-100, the CF is a must.

I was able to get away with the IQ260, but it's a different story for 100mp.
I think this "red color cast" is flair. Do you use a lens hood, when you have this cast?
Regards,
Ben

mandonbossi

Well, i don't know what you mean by «big movements» but there is not a single techcam lens with a field of view equivalent to 24mm in 135format that will offer you more than 8/10mm of shift on the current cmos sensor... and keep in mind that:
- 8/10mm on a 33x44sensor = 6/7mm on FF (24x36)
- 8/10mm on a 40x56 sensor = 4/6 mm on a FF 24x36
Those number might be enough or not but in any cases i would not call them «big movement»

Hi Daf,
Is there any way you can elaborate on your above statement? I do not quite understand it... :(

I would have thought those numbers made sense the other way around? eg 8/10mm on a FF 24x36 is equivalent to 4/6mm on a 40 x 56 sensor..

Or am I totally missing something here?

Alan

Hi Daf,
Is there any way you can elaborate on your above statement? I do not quite understand it... :(

I would have thought those numbers made sense the other way around? eg 8/10mm on a FF 24x36 is equivalent to 4/6mm on a 40 x 56 sensor..

Or am I totally missing something here?
Think of it as % of sensor size.

With a level camera in landscape orientation, to shift the horizon line to the edge of the frame requires shift 50% of the frame height, or 16.5mm with a 33x44 sensor.

Compare that to a 24x36 sensor which would require 12mm. A 40x56 sensor would require 20mm.

You should avoid the CCD sensors if you do long exposure. You may also want to avoid the 100MP 645 sensor for red cast in shadow if you do not want to shoot dark frame on site.

If you go with the 50MP 44x33 sensor, then the Rodenstock 32mm HR perfectly fits your 24mm equivalence.

If you go with the 100MP 645 sensor, then the Rodenstock 40mm HR is close to 24mm equivalence. It is optically better than the 32mm HR.

You should also keep in mind that the announcement of IMX411 and IMX461 may be imminent, which may lead to significant depreciation of current products, so buy at your own risk.