The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

App for tethering the Fuji GFX to Capture One...

Owen

I've been using this for a few weeks for commercial shoots and it's been 100% solid and dependable. Images appear in C1 after about 4-5 seconds which is fast enough for the architectural work I do. If you also transfer jpgs then they're almost instantaneous. Highly recommended and great value.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'll just repeat my previous PSAs on the topic...

C1 does not and will not support the GFX. If you choose to use one of the currently-circulated hacks to force C1 to open GFX raws:
- The hack may stop working at any future release of C1
- The hack may stop working at any future firmware update to the GFX
- If there are any bugs, crashes, limitations, issues related the hacked workflow they won't be fixed
- Speed (time to screen, time to process, time to view at 100%) may be deleteriously impacted, in some cases dramatically
- No tweaked algorithms for demosaic, noise reduction, diffraction etc
- No lens profiles
- No bespoke color profiles
- No camera controls from within C1
- No Live View from within C1
- If you follow best practices for archiving you'll need to keep two versions worth of disk space for each raw you capture (the native and altered version)

Based on the above I'd strongly suggest against using such a hack in a professional workflow, or even a serious enthusiasts' workflow. If you like the GFX, great, it's a nice camera; you should use it with software that supports it.

Of course each person can do as they choose. I just want to make sure that choice is made with the above issues and limitation in mind.

Owen

Mostly true Doug, and you certainly know a lot more about this than I do.

However, right now it works flawlessly with the current version of C1. A little slower, yes, and with the exif changed it's using profiles designed for another version of the sensor, but this is absolutely fine for architecture. Live view and camera controls do not work, although I have a feeling that the LR plugin features that include this could be added to X Aquire at some point, in which case they return. I think Martin actually has a workaround, albeit slower, that already allows this, and that's sufficient for product photography.

But it's not a hack of Capture One software and so is really best described as an app that converts to dng and changes exif info on the fly. I'm using it now in a professional workflow in much the same way that I've used C1 in a professional workflow for several years and honestly, it's great. If it ceases to work in new versions of C1 then I probably won't be purchasing those updates unless there's full support, but it seems that this is off the table.

DB5

This is a great App.

Phase One are kidding themselves if they think they can hold back the tide.

iiiNelson

This is a great App.

Phase One are kidding themselves if they think they can hold back the tide.
Its crazy because Phase One is intentionally going to keep C1 being viewed as a niche product in a sense. Plenty of people are struggling to use On1, Luminar, etc. just for an Adobe alternative. C1 mostly provides that and they really should open the software up to competing products. There are more people that will give them $1-300 for a license or upgrade than $15k+ for a camera system. Their cameras are great but most people that are looking at the GFX aren’t seriously considering a Phase One system because the GFX is a stretch they can “just barely” afford in many cases. Now if Phase One has a Mirrorless system available now I could understand but fewer people are cross shopping GFX cameras with Phase One cameras than they believe.

hcubell

Its crazy because Phase One is intentionally going to keep C1 being viewed as a niche product in a sense. Plenty of people are struggling to use On1, Luminar, etc. just for an Adobe alternative. C1 mostly provides that and they really should open the software up to competing products. There are more people that will give them $1-300 for a license or upgrade than $15k+ for a camera system. Their cameras are great but most people that are looking at the GFX aren’t seriously considering a Phase One system because the GFX is a stretch they can “just barely” afford in many cases. Now if Phase One has a Mirrorless system available now I could understand but fewer people are cross shopping GFX cameras with Phase One cameras than they believe.
Unless P1 is totally asleep at the switch (which I don't believe is the case), I have to believe P1 will be coming out with a mirrorless camera system of its own. The complication is figuring out what to develop and how to position it in the market. P1 will want to come out with a "premium" version that offers some things that neither Fuji nor Hasselblad offers. P1 has no interest in getting down into the trenches and competing with Fuji at that price point. That has never been its business model. The question is just what can Phase offer that would differentiate its mirrorless system from Fuji/Hasselblad? Yes, the ability to use Capture One, but what else? The 150MP Sony sensor? At what cost in terms of the size of the body and lenses?

kdphotography

Off-topic, but I'd love to see a Phase One mirrorless option. Sometimes it's all about the workflow and/or a better interface. C1 Pro without the workarounds would be awesome. I don't think Phase would need to re-invent the wheel---just add a few nice touches, albeit at a premium price point above the GFX and X1D.

Give me a Phase One mirrorless and I'd sell my Fuji GFX without blinking. It would make a better complement to the IQ3 and make everything so much easier.

:thumbup:

Paul2660

Based on the P1 track record on bodies, AFDIII (with upgrade to DF), DF, DF+, and XF (and XF finally getting it right), hope they cross all the t's and dot the i's. P1's biggest hurdle, simple, lenses. All of the current Blue Rings are massive, heavy and will need an adapter to work with a mirrorless system. In effect same issue Canon and Nikon have now. Sony had it briefly, but then years ago, went pretty much all mirrorless. Some of the larger blue rings like the 40-80 and 75-150 will have balance issues (lens far out weighs the camera) if P1 makes a mirrorless body in anything close to the current state of the industry.

If they bring 150MP, I really could care less. Don't need it and never will. 100Mp is hard enough to work in 16 bit and the files get huge with layers. 150MP will also have a increase in diffraction issues unless P1 uses a large chip than current. Just as the 100MP cropped sensor will have similar issues for the follow ons for the X1D and GFX.

Hasselblad and Fuji both have great systems, and have a 2 year head start. In the fall we should see the announcement of 100MP in the Hasselblad and Fuji systems. 100Mp is all I need and want and if it's a cropped sensor so be it.

Hopefully P1 will finally figure out that YOU CAN have more than one focus point in the MF world. In fact you can have over 100 of them and all very accurate. Even without a Phase Detect sensor, as again has been proven by both Hasselblad and Fuji. Fuji and Hasselblad both now have 2 years of testing with their first platforms either of which IMO is vastly superior to the XF and it's limitations. I am hoping that both Fuji and Hasselblad have IBIS in the follow bodies, Fuji has experimented with this now in the X-H1 and for a 1st attempt it's impressive.

Let them continue to keep their head in the sand on C1 and support for other MF platforms. For sure the P1 mirrorless will cost way too much for the same degree of feature and function and again will be limited to about the top 5% to 10% of MF purchases. That will leave plenty of room for growth for other vendors. C1 I find in a strange place. Great color management and layers, but no ability to create a pano or exposure bracketed image, without exporting to tif and reimporting to LR or other tools. It's too bad Adobe can't figure out how to give LR true layer support as multiple adjustment brushes are not the same thing.

I do wish P1 the best for future products.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Based on the P1 track record on bodies, AFDIII (with upgrade to DF), DF, DF+, and XF (and XF finally getting it right), hope they cross all the t's and dot the i's.
Notably the AF, DF, and DF+ were all derivatives of the Mamiya AFD platform. They added some features and improved performance, but they had to work with the underlying capabilities of a platform developed before P1 was part of the picture.

The XF and IQ show what P1 can do with a clean slate.

Phase V

Hmm, if the spec´s Sony provided in their roadmap are not totally wrong this new 150 MPx sensor will blow anything out of the water. It should deliver 4 pics per sec at full
resolution which means of course by by CF cards and switch over to CF Fast or QXD.
This will also mean ultra fast live view and touch screeen behavior. It should also be
fast enough to build a high end EVF that replaces the heavy Standard one, lock
up the mirrior and you have the ultimate mirrorless.

iiiNelson

Based on the P1 track record on bodies, AFDIII (with upgrade to DF), DF, DF+, and XF (and XF finally getting it right), hope they cross all the t's and dot the i's. P1's biggest hurdle, simple, lenses. All of the current Blue Rings are massive, heavy and will need an adapter to work with a mirrorless system. In effect same issue Canon and Nikon have now. Sony had it briefly, but then years ago, went pretty much all mirrorless. Some of the larger blue rings like the 40-80 and 75-150 will have balance issues (lens far out weighs the camera) if P1 makes a mirrorless body in anything close to the current state of the industry.

If they bring 150MP, I really could care less. Don't need it and never will. 100Mp is hard enough to work in 16 bit and the files get huge with layers. 150MP will also have a increase in diffraction issues unless P1 uses a large chip than current. Just as the 100MP cropped sensor will have similar issues for the follow ons for the X1D and GFX.

Hasselblad and Fuji both have great systems, and have a 2 year head start. In the fall we should see the announcement of 100MP in the Hasselblad and Fuji systems. 100Mp is all I need and want and if it's a cropped sensor so be it.

Hopefully P1 will finally figure out that YOU CAN have more than one focus point in the MF world. In fact you can have over 100 of them and all very accurate. Even without a Phase Detect sensor, as again has been proven by both Hasselblad and Fuji. Fuji and Hasselblad both now have 2 years of testing with their first platforms either of which IMO is vastly superior to the XF and it's limitations. I am hoping that both Fuji and Hasselblad have IBIS in the follow bodies, Fuji has experimented with this now in the X-H1 and for a 1st attempt it's impressive.

Let them continue to keep their head in the sand on C1 and support for other MF platforms. For sure the P1 mirrorless will cost way too much for the same degree of feature and function and again will be limited to about the top 5% to 10% of MF purchases. That will leave plenty of room for growth for other vendors. C1 I find in a strange place. Great color management and layers, but no ability to create a pano or exposure bracketed image, without exporting to tif and reimporting to LR or other tools. It's too bad Adobe can't figure out how to give LR true layer support as multiple adjustment brushes are not the same thing.

I do wish P1 the best for future products.

Paul C
The obvious answer IMO would be to go FF MF Mirrorless exclusively. I don’t think that would be a bad idea but maybe they should offer the old 100MP version as an “entry level” in the $12-15k range and the flagship with the latest sensor.