The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.

tjv

That's pretty incredible LCC / colour cast performance... Just when I thought my technical camera setup might have no future.

How much better is the electronic shutter on this bad boy? I'm wondering since Copal shutters are no longer made, and Linhof as yet offers no fancy electronic shutter control unit for use with my Techno, a camera which I love using and have no desire to 'upgrade'.

Pemihan

Damn, I'm glad I held on to my SK35XL even though I don't even remotely have the means to buy the IQ4 150. But maybe now I can sell the 35XL for a gazillion and that way be able to get the 150. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Last edited:

narikin

I would estimate 95% of our tech cameras are sold to landscape and architectural photographers with the former being the majority.
So why did DT change its name to "DT COMMERCIALPHOTO"?

It's an ugly name Doug, off putting for many who are aligned with the creative side. Makes us sound like we are selling widgets or stamping auto parts.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So why did DT change its name to "DT COMMERCIALPHOTO"?

It's an ugly name Doug, off putting for many who are aligned with the creative side. Makes us sound like we are selling widgets or stamping auto parts.
Thanks for the feedback.

We are still the same people, same physical locations etc. Only the naming has changed, to more clearly delineate the three divisions of our company, and to insure that all of our clients find the URL specific to their interests.

Originally we started as a company whose entire mission was to serve photographers who created images, most of whom were moving from film. Our name was simply "Digital Transitions".

Then, we we added one employee who was focused on museums, libraries, and archives. We christened that endeavor it the Digital Transitions Division of Cultural Heritage and gave it a separate website (www.dtdch.com). That breakdown made a lot of sense because it was only a few percent of our business.

Then that business grew very very rapidly, especially the film scanning business, and we added a third division dedicated to scientific and industrial imaging solutions. These two are still a minority of our business, but they are no longer small, and the naming no longer made sense; many of those clients were coming to digitaltransitions.com and getting confused. With 25 full-time employees we needed a cleaner delineation of those three markets we serve (photographers, museums/libraries, scientific).

As to "DTCommercialPhoto" I agree it doesn't fully describe the clients we serve. In addition to the professional clients for whom the name makes sense, a healthy chunk of our clients are producing and selling fine-art, or are enthusiasts. However, it's shockingly hard to find a name that succinctly covers all three types (fine art, commercial, enthusiast) and for which a URL and trademark is available. I'm sure the name we picked is an imperfect compromise, and if you have other suggestions please don't hesitate to share them. As we continue to grow we could consider adding a fourth division that more specifically focuses on the content, equipment, and points of view of non-commercial photographers.

Regardless, as Shakespeare said: "A boutique photo equipment company by any other name..."

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That's pretty incredible LCC / colour cast performance... Just when I thought my technical camera setup might have no future.

How much better is the electronic shutter on this bad boy? I'm wondering since Copal shutters are no longer made, and Linhof as yet offers no fancy electronic shutter control unit for use with my Techno, a camera which I love using and have no desire to 'upgrade'.
IQ4 Electronic Shutter

IQ4 150mp electronic shutter sweep speed*
0.3 seconds for IIQ-S or IIQ-L
0.6 seconds for IIQ-L 16 bit

Or put differently: twice as fast as the IQ3 100mp.

*Of course the effective shutter speed can be as fast as 1/4000th. Read the linked article if you need clarification on sweep speed versus shutter speed.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If they have fixed most of the color cast, which it does appear the BSI did, all that leaves is the loss of saturation in shifts which C1 tended to do a good job on already with the other backs, and crosstalk. Add into the equation focus peaking (still need to see how P1 implemented it) But sure looks good to me.
The loss of saturation was due to the inability to perfectly correct very severe color cast. In other words, when correcting light or moderate color cast the result could still be excellent, but when correcting very severe cast there was very little "signal" to recover from the other color channels (e.g. in green cast areas there was very little blue and red signal) and the best guess was undersaturated. Having far less color cast means loss of saturation should not be a factor. But of course, we'll be doing a range of testing with shift and rise/fall, which is where the stress really comes in. Color cast should still be worse with shift, but if it's 10 times worse than what you see in this unshifted file (which is pessimistic), it would still be 100 times less than previous backs.

Cross talk was a result of the pixel well design, which BSI should greatly reduce.

I agree the implementation of focus peaking needs to be tested. Many cameras can do focus peaking; many do it pretty poorly.

I'm biting my tongue, waiting to be more definitive, because time (and coworkers over the year) have helped me learn to always do your own testing before jumping to firm conclusions. But clearly, all evidence so far points heavily in the direction of "hugely improved" as regards color cast on tech cameras.

narikin

IQ4 Electronic Shutter

So if ES can do a frame every 0.3secs, is there a 'Continuous' ES option (3fps) that could be enabled?
If not, can we put that on the firmware update list?

Appreciate the rolling shutter is still an issue, but even this should have been improved by faster sweeps, right?

algrove

Damn, I'm glad I held on to my SK35XL even though I even remotely have the means to buy the 150. But maybe now I can sell the 35XL for a gazillion and that way be able to get the 150. :ROTFL::ROTFL:
My S-K 150 is about my favorite lens on my STC.

narikin

As to "DTCommercialPhoto" I agree it doesn't fully describe the clients we serve. In addition to the professional clients for whom the name makes sense, a healthy chunk of our clients are producing and selling fine-art, or are enthusiasts. However, it's shockingly hard to find a name that succinctly covers all three types (fine art, commercial, enthusiast) and for which a URL and trademark is available. I'm sure the name we picked is an imperfect compromise, and if you have other suggestions please don't hesitate to share them.
Glad you recognise it's an issue, at least. Just Photography would do it for me. No need to qualify it commercial or artistic or whatever.

Regardless, as Shakespeare said: "A boutique photo equipment company by any other name..."
Must have missed that one at school. Is it being put on in Central Park this year?

Geoff

Glad you recognise it's an issue, at least. Just Photography would do it for me. No need to qualify it commercial or artistic or whatever.

Must have missed that one at school. Is it being put on in Central Park this year?
A rose by any other name....

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Neither shot included a center filter.
OK, I was pleased before before but this makes it even better because the center filter will correct significant amount of the density falloff, and with the lens color cast being so dramatically affected I think my 28mm rodenstock will be very useful again.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Makes me regret not buying the last "new" Schneider 28mm XL before it went out of stock along with the center filters...
I think that if the IQ4 150 performs this well with SK tech lenses then I think that many of us will regret selling our LCC limited ‘pebbles’ a while back. Heck, if you don’t mind a slight crop even the SK 24XL becomes a usable lens that, if you can find one, you can probably pick up for cents on the dollar vs the 23HR these days.

Hmm. Perhaps I should start a new thread: Ugliest LCC images you’ve ever shot and the mostly unbelievable corrections from C1 Pro, especially the latest versions!! :)

ErikKaffehr

Hi Doug,

The link you have posted doesn't really describe the fully electronic shutter. I would refer to this page: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5...lling-shutter-and-flash-what-you-need-to-know

A short description may be that electronic shutter implements focal plane functionality by a sweeping reset of the sensor combined with a sweeping (linewise) readout.

The readout speed of the sensor limits the speed of the sweep.

Because sweep time is relatively long with recent CMOS based systems, any large object that is moving during exposure will be distorted. Small objects are less affected.

Best regards
Erik

(*) Reset can be done very fast, but readout speed is limited by sensor technology.
IQ4 Electronic Shutter

*Of course the effective shutter speed can be as fast as 1/4000th. Read the linked article if you need clarification on sweep speed versus shutter speed.

kdphotography

Graham, you're talking like a man that has already placed an order to upgrade to the IQ4 150. :D

Does this mean the sports car is on hold? :ROTFL:

Abstraction

Graham, you're talking like a man that has already placed an order to upgrade to the IQ4 150. :D

Does this mean the sports car is on hold? :ROTFL:
A sports car can be viewed as a compensation for an inadequacy elsewhere, whereas an IQ4 150 could be viewed as a compensation for an inadequacy somewhere else. :p