The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching to an "entry-level" tech camera kit for architectural photography

kbx

So I have decided I want to go medium format/tech camera for my work.

I am an architectural photographer specializing in commercial work based in Mexico City.

I've been shooting Canon tethered into Capture One for a while now and I am completely convinced Phase One is the way to go, I recently got an e-mail from Digital Transitions mentioning reduced prices on Phase One backs.

I have done my due diligence and researched what the best starter kit would be, I want to see what you guys think.

Album of gear: https://imgur.com/a/KVVC4QT

Phase One IQ1-50: $10000
Cambo WRS-1600: $3600
Cambo EOS Adapter: $1500
Cambo Rodenstock 32mm Digaron-W $10300 focal length equiv: 25mm
Cambo Rodenstock 50mm Digaron-W $7300 focal length equiv: 40mm
Total: $32,700

Throughout about 50k pictures delivered, I have come to the conclusion that the focal lengths I use the most are around 21-26mm and 35mm, with occasional 16-17mm and 50mm.

I could add the 24mm and 70mm rodies after, which would give me 19mm equiv and 55mm equiv for a total range of:
19,25,40,55 this would be perfect.

Another option is adding a IQ3-100 in the future which would make all the past equivalent focal lengths:
15,21,32,45 ( this is just perfect, but counting the 2 extra lenses and the extra back, it adds another $42k to the cost).

My only question is, the iq1-50 does have electronic shutter? I can use my canon tilt shifts just in case?

Any other problems you guys see with my setup? I am going to have to save for about a year.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Switching to an "entry-level" tech camera kit for architectural photography

Greetings from Digital Transitions.

The IQ1 50mp does not have ES. Only the IQ3 100mp, IQ3 100mp Tri, and the IQ4 backs have ES. If you stick with the 50mp you’ll need to forgo the canon lens route.

There is no Rodenstock 24. Maybe you meant Rodenstock 23HR?

I think the 50 is fairly close to the 32 for a two lens kit. I might consider changing the 50Hr to a 70Hr and cropping occasionally when you need a longer focal length, and stitching the 32HR when you need wider.

In most cases I suggest focusing your budget on lenses first and then buy the back that remains within your budget thereafter. But because of the profound impact of ES on tech camera workflow I might suggest trying to stretch to a Certified Pre-Owned IQ3 100mp and then buy the lenses that remain in budget, even if that means relying exclusively on the Canon lenses at first and adding HR lenses over time. We (DT) have a few with extra warranty left in inventory.

Last edited:

kbx

Greetings from Digital Transitions.
I might consider doing the IQ3 100mp, changing the 50Hr to a 70Hr and cropping occasionally when you need a longer focal length, and stitching the 32HR when you need wider.

Or rely on the canon lenses right out of the gate and add Rodenstock lenses after some time when you have better idea of where the gaps are for your use.
Thanks for the quick reply Doug. I must re-think my setup.

The only problem I have with going with the 100 and using Canon TS', is the lack of middle range.

If I had the 100 back, the 17TS is too wide to be of any use and the 24 and 50 TS are 15mm and 32mm. I really need something in the 23mm equiv range... if Canon had a 35TS this would be a pretty decent setup. But since the sensor is so large, my shifts would be very limited.

I think as you said, the 100 back with 32Hr and 70Hr would be ideal. That's $41k using a CPO iq3-100 back.

Adding 24Hr and 50Hr later would complete the kit.

EDIT: the iq1-50 on a WRS1600 with 32, 50 & 70 HR would be a total of: $36,717 with focal lengths: 25mm, 40mm, 55mm. Perfect. Hmm...

gerald.d

Hi -

Have you considered going with an ALPA FPS?

You then can use the Canons with any of the digital backs.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

algrove

The HR40 is about 25 equivalent on the IQ3100.But the HR32 might suit your needs better for a 19mm equivalent.

I would consider CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) IQ3100 since very soon many will be trading these in for the IQ4 so you will have plenty to choose from within 6 months or less.