The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 First Reactions

vjbelle

Sorry to hear that Victor. Can I share my experience with you about my experience with GFX and Actus. like you I have using this system for awhile, I have even modified the bellow to a custom made lamb skin below, very narrow and almost no distance to keep my flange as close as possible as GFX flange is bit on the long side. One thing let to another, one day, I discover a long stretch of fog/red patch on my images while using GFX to do some stitching works. I thought it was my lens that is the problem. But ended up, it's camera handle pushing the bellow too much until a small gaps has appear at the magnetic seam.... light leaks.... And then another time... the same problem occurred, and I have check the connection of the bellow, everything seems fine.... I thought, this must be the lens again! only later to find that, again, it's the bellow.... a screw has gone missing at the ring, and it make the bellow slight loose on the metal ring part....

All I want to say is, check your bellow, cause it might have been push out of alignment by the camera, particularly this GFX100 as the size is just way too over and generate light leaks...

By the way, Cambo is coming out with a new attachment and shim for GFX100 to work on Cambo Actus.... so you can do a normal landscape shoot, except that it add 12.5mm to the flange... ouch....
I checked for light leakage as I was shifting my 72mm lens 18mm left and right in portrait position and noticed the light anomalies in the shifted images. I have a Lupine LED flashlight that has a beam brighter than the sun:) and shifted left and right with the lens open and couldn't detect any leaks when shining the light all over the bellows.

Victor

kimyeesan

I checked for light leakage as I was shifting my 72mm lens 18mm left and right in portrait position and noticed the light anomalies in the shifted images. I have a Lupine LED flashlight that has a beam brighter than the sun:) and shifted left and right with the lens open and couldn't detect any leaks when shining the light all over the bellows.

Victor
That is strange indeed.

TheDude

noticed the light anomalies in the shifted images
Do you think this is due to having shifted the lens?

Since the 100MP IMX461 sensor is back-illuminated, this sensor should be far less susceptible to color shifts due to lens shifting.

Steve Hendrix

I never found the firmware update.... and I did look. Moot point since the camera is gone.

Victor

Your dealer should have informed you of this.

Sorry you're having the difficulty Victor, hopefully you'll have a replacement shortly that will be better behaved.

Steve Hendrix/CI

fotophil

Based upon my experience with one of the early production GFX50S Cameras, Fuji was very responsive to a lens mount lock failure which resulted in the 120mm macro being locked onto the 50S Body about half way through a two week Southwest Photography Trip which forced me to shoot exclusively with the 120mm lens. After contacting Fuji upon returning home, they provided return shipping to the Fuji East Coast Office and replaced both the camera and lens immediately. Even there may be a shortage of GFX100 Cameras within the Fuji Dealer Network, I bet Fuji could find youa replacement quickly. In my situation they provided excellent customer service!

Paul2660

As I understand it, only the lenses need the updates for firmware, as the camera is still at Vr 1.0.

Fuji, does not place the GFX firmware page in as ready a location as their X series cameras. I always end up in the x-series firmware location and then have to dig around to find the GFX. Even a search GFX at times only brings up manuals and other issues.

The firmware as it's stated is only for the lenses to work with PDAF design of the GFX100.

So for his issue if it only happened on AF, I could see this being a problem. But he was also using MF on the Fuji lenses and a totally non Fuji lens on the Aptus, which would mean the firmware for the lenses would be a non factor, at least as I see it.

Paul C

vjbelle

The three files I am posting will show the flare/light reflection I'm seeing when shifting with the Fuji 100. The left and right files were shifted 18mm. That amount of shifting can easily be handled by the image circle of the 72mm Digitar and produces an almost perfect 3X2 file that can always be cropped to 4X3.

Notice how the trees get lighter on the left and right files, towards the top, as compared to the center non-shifted file. I've never experienced this with my 3100 and shot this same set with the 72mm on my 3100 with the same 18mm shifting with no change in the tree brightness. I have no idea what is causing this but it is not bellows leaking. Some kind of reflection is occurring. This alone is enough reason for my not keeping the Fuji 100 as usage on my Actus was one of my major goals.

Victor

Attachments

fotophil

"I have no idea what is causing this but it is not bellows leaking. Some kind of reflection is occurring. This alone is enough reason for my not keeping the Fuji 100 as usage on my Actus was one of my major goals. "

I have experience using the Better Light Digital Scanning Back on several different 4x5 View Cameras that has shown me that although bellow materials are generally opaque to visible spectrum light their response to infrared light is difficult to predict. For example I had a wide angle bag bellows on my 4x5 Ebony View Camera that leaked IR resulting all sots of weird fog effects that could be corrected by wrapping the bellows with aluminum cooking foil. The bag bellows was new and worked fine when shooting film because it did not leak viable light. I don't anything about the type of bellows materials that were used in your tests but if the Fuji GFX100 setup used a different bellows than your 3100 setup you might want to consider IR leakage.

vjbelle

The whole center file is darker, the exposure settings were the same for all three?
Exposure settings were exactly the same for all three images. What you are seeing is some kind of light reflection..... don't know where it comes from.

Edit: The camera did make some adjustments that I didn't account for...... but the lightness that you see in the trees is not just an exposure differentiation but rather some kind of light reflection. Does not happen on my 3100.....

Victor

Last edited:

vjbelle

"I have no idea what is causing this but it is not bellows leaking. Some kind of reflection is occurring. This alone is enough reason for my not keeping the Fuji 100 as usage on my Actus was one of my major goals. "

I have experience using the Better Light Digital Scanning Back on several different 4x5 View Cameras that has shown me that although bellow materials are generally opaque to visible spectrum light their response to infrared light is difficult to predict. For example I had a wide angle bag bellows on my 4x5 Ebony View Camera that leaked IR resulting all sots of weird fog effects that could be corrected by wrapping the bellows with aluminum cooking foil. The bag bellows was new and worked fine when shooting film because it did not leak viable light. I don't anything about the type of bellows materials that were used in your tests but if the Fuji GFX100 setup used a different bellows than your 3100 setup you might want to consider IR leakage.
Yes...... two different bellows were used and I did check the bellows used for the Actus G for any leakage with a very bright light shined all around the bellows while in Bulb exposure. I did not check for IR..... no way known. What I am noticing in the shifted images is a type of fog. Even though there may have been a slight exposure difference between the shifted and non-shifted images the fog effect is still very apparent in the shifted images and not in the center image.

Victor

JeRuFo

Exposure settings were exactly the same for all three images. What you are seeing is some kind of light reflection..... don't know where it comes from.

Edit: The camera did make some adjustments that I didn't account for...... but the lightness that you see in the trees is not just an exposure differentiation but rather some kind of light reflection. Does not happen on my 3100.....

Victor
No, the trees still look weird, but that is hard to judge on such a small file. The difference in exposure makes it harder as well.
With the other files you posted the contrast of the Fuji seemed a lot higher too somehow, the Phase file looks a lot more 'relaxed', even though that one was taken under cloud cover.

vjbelle

No, the trees still look weird, but that is hard to judge on such a small file. The difference in exposure makes it harder as well.
With the other files you posted the contrast of the Fuji seemed a lot higher too somehow, the Phase file looks a lot more 'relaxed', even though that one was taken under cloud cover.
You have noticed the same thing I have noticed about the Fuji vs. Phase files. There really is a difference. The Fuji lenses are somewhat harsh vs. my Digitar lenses used which is another thing I have noticed. There is also the bias that C1 has with the files which is again something I have noticed. 3100 files shine compared to Fuji 100 files when processed in C1. Camera Raw takes a more clinical approach but the 3100 files always seem to be better.

My original approach to this whole thing was for the Fuji 100 to eliminate my need to upgrade to a 4150 as I didn't need the extra MP and the overall cost was less. That has been complicated by the fact that shifting on the Actus with the Fuji 100 is cumbersome because of camera size/design and shifting is less predictable than using a Phase DB.

I can afford to easily do both but I'm not going to throw money away. I have a 4150 coming next week and I could easily exchange the Fuji 100 for another camera vs. getting a refund.

I'll think it through......

Victor

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The B&H boys are busy making zillions of dollars trading above the camera floor and could care less about this photo stuff.....just a hobby for them.

Victor
I'm sorry, but what does that mean? Many B&H salespeople I've talked with are also working photographers. What is a "B&H boy"?

Matt

vjbelle

I'm sorry, but what does that mean? Many B&H salespeople I've talked with are also working photographers. What is a "B&H boy"?

Matt
I'm not in any way trying to cast a negative picture regarding B&H. They are the greatest and I support them whenever I can. But it is a known fact (I can't substantiate this but it has been been posted) that B&H is the bottom floor of a much larger trading center above where the real money is made. I've always been impressed with the cleverness and creativeness of the Jewish community and though I don't have any kind of documentation regarding this I'm assuming it's more than factual and applaud it.

Regards......

Victor

fotophil

"Yes...... two different bellows were used and I did check the bellows used for the Actus G for any leakage with a very bright light shined all around the bellows while in Bulb exposure. I did not check for IR..... no way known. What I am noticing in the shifted images is a type of fog".

Using bright light on bellows to evaluate IR will not work at all! My bag bellows on the Ebony was light tight and leaked IR like a sieve! As I mentioned previously aluminum cooking foil is a simple means of blocking IR. Run the test in bright sunlight. If the fog is still present you can rule out IR leakage. In my expereince, IR bellows leakage is consistent with image fog.