Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    Here is one for Thorkil with the 2/110

203FE
    Thanks Ivo! Yes I think you is right considering a cutting out from the original film format 60x60mm by a sensor of only 44x33mm (the X1D) might harm that super picture-surface-mood from the 110/2 FE, as you also show, and as I remember it myself. That lens gives a sort of total experience, that at least I, for my part, very seldom see - and having a so and so relationship to colours in general, the 110/2FE do something extraordinary to colours, at least in my eyes, soft, watercolour-like thing.
    (by the way, I have to add, I really like your Gallery and the unconventional, fresh and moody way you do your pictures, just to say)
    best Thorkil
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

considering the film-holders I've just ordered this, while its possible to open and masking seems adjustable, and I hope it can hold all the 4 sides of a single 6x6 frame. We will see. But its on backorder by fotokoch.de in Germany.
    Perhaps a bit expensive because a tiny lightbox are following along
    Products

Hi Darr: just got my PME51 from Japan, and in a condition as if it just left the factory ()
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    considering the film-holders I've just ordered this, while its possible to open and masking seems adjustable, and I hope it can hold all the 4 sides of a single 6x6 frame. We will see. But its on backorder by fotokoch.de in Germany.
    Perhaps a bit expensive because a tiny lightbox are following along
    Products

Hi Darr: just got my PME51 from Japan, and in a condition as if it just left the factory ()
    Hi Thorkil,

I have seen someone else mention the film holder you post, but they could not secure one in the US. Do let us know how it all works out.
    Wonderful news regarding your PME51!!

Best to you,
    Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's my humble opinion that shooting film will make you a much better photographer because of the effort it takes to simply understand the basics. The reward of a good exposed image is earned and not produced from countless shutter clicks of a digital camera. Pixel peeping at 200% or adding light rays, starry filled skies, HDR, or any other digital effect just sucks the magic out of the creative process, imo. Looking at artists such as Dorothea Lange or Fan Ho, no digital camera can ever create the value of photography as an art form like these two masters. Obviously, digital has been more accepted in the art world, if only because not many shoot film anymore. However, the prices of film cameras has skyrocketed recently as I think the throwaway culture has finally realized the importance of film, so there's hope...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    It's my humble opinion that shooting film will make you a much better photographer because of the effort it takes to simply understand the basics. The reward of a good exposed image is earned and not produced from countless shutter clicks of a digital camera. Pixel peeping at 200% or adding light rays, starry filled skies, HDR, or any other digital effect just sucks the magic out of the creative process, imo. Looking at artists such as Dorothea Lange or Fan Ho, no digital camera can ever create the value of photography as an art form like these two masters. Obviously, digital has been more accepted in the art world, if only because not many shoot film anymore. However, the prices of film cameras has skyrocketed recently as I think the throwaway culture has finally realized the importance of film, so there's hope...
    John so true.

I recently retired from teaching commercial photography at a local tech college. The younger students told me time and time again, if film was the only option for making photography, they would not be interested in it. We live in a time where photography is expected to happen quickly with not much thought or work. I did not blame the students too much for feeling this way, after all, they have never known the joys of photography like we have. Instead, I always felt a tinge of sadness.

Darr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hi Thorkil,

I have seen someone else mention the film holder you post, but they could not secure one in the US. Do let us know how it all works out.
    Wonderful news regarding your PME51!!

Best to you,
    Darr
    Hi Darr, and others interested
    I have asked Kaiser Fototechnik in Germany about this
    and the sales-lady adviced you to contact:
    https://kaiserfotous.com/
    where you can see the "Compound negative carrier" here:
    https://kaiserfotous.com/products/da...cessories.html
    and
    the actual system:
    https://kaiserfotous.com/products/da...e-carrier.html
    but remember the masks here:
    https://kaiserfotous.com/products/da...s-inserts.html
    Dealers:
    https://kaiserfotous.com/where-to-buy/dealers
    hope this could be at any help

Kind Regards Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

How about replacement scanner masks? I wonder if Plustek sells them for their OpticScan 120. I bought that scanner 18 months back after the Nikon 8k stopped working. The Plustek masks are quite nice and work without glass.
    My Gallery
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe another photograph in between ...

Shirin, Pentax 67, 2.5/105, Portra 160
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let's keep this train rolling along - another from Portugal - sometimes you are driving and light look so good that you have to pull over on the highway to take that shot.

Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C-41 | V850 + NLP

Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    Let us know how it goes. KEH often (but certainly not always) sells equipment that's in better condition than one might assume based on their grading. Plus, the reality is that a few scratches on e.g. the front element is rarely the end of the world in terms of image quality. You might be pleasantly surprised!

John
    Hi... just received the Hasselblad/Zeiss 110/2 Planar FE from KEH a moment ago - what a speedy delivery to Denmark! - and..I'm really pleasantly surprised, there just some small amount of wear where the hood goes on, some tiny one where fitted to the body, dust outside on glasses disappeared with air-cleaning - so, very very happy here, and happy that I didn't succeeded in my attempt to cancel the order !!
    Thanks for encouraging thoughts!
    Thorkil
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

..Filmholderwise..I'm preferring the hinged/opening solution, and the relative expensive solution with the scanning-filholder kit including the small fitting lightbox from Kaiser should be on its way.
    I also just received the Lomography-ones (digitaliza 120) today,
    and ordered the Filmholder 120 from Plustek's OpticFilmscanner 120 which Ivo recommended,
    so I should be overloaded with possibility's in a moment or two
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca

Hasselblad 500C + 80/2.8C + No Name Slide Film
    Alpa TC + SK 120 M + CFV-50c

--

I come across film sometimes in my files with no manufacturer's name or other identification markings.
    Shot in 1987, so I am thinking maybe an Agfa variety because Kodak and Fuji has their names running along the border.
    For fun I would try cheap film, so who knows?

Hoping you and yours are well,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely, lovely image, Darr!!!

Thank you for sharing your images especially in these dark times.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been considering the 80mm f/2.8 for my 500CM. Really nice, shallow DOF. Great image!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting to spend time now going through almost forgotten shoots from years ago. Sometimes revisiting these brings some surprises, like this shot of famed Hammond B3 organist, Brian Auger that I shot in a Venice, Ca. alley in January of 1996 for Mackie, the mixing board company. This was shot on Fuji RFP with a 50mm on an RZ but felt a lot better as a noiré-ish black and white.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Horseman SW612 with 55mm Grandagon again. Taken from about 9,000 ft/3,000m in the Japanese Alps.

I have been lucky in my photography as no one really pointed out limitations that seem so commonly expressed. For example, I did not know you could not handhold panoramic cameras, see above. I went for medium-format cameras because of the compromise between portability and quality. I could shoot 400 ISO film and still get very good quality and I could still take my cameras anywhere. (4x5 was great quality and had movements, but the weight and problems with handling film seemed too much. I loved 35mm for the size and choice, but with 400 ISO film, the images were just a little lacking. (I stuck to 400 ISO film because I kept shooting under light that no one told me I couldn't shoot under)) Naturally, the formats are what got me. Loved the square and panoramic formats.

While it was hard to move on from the film cameras I had such a relationship with, I have found remarkable flexibility with digital. I am even surprising myself with how good APS-C is. It gives me a quality I find satisfying while presenting a portable and flexible package to photograph with. My X Pro2 kind of gives me a Mamiya 6, Fuji 6x9, and Horseman SW612 rolled into one (and with an optical viewfinder!). One of the first X Pro2 images I took from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park in Maine.

Obviously, it is easy to talk about photography in regards to technical criteria. Personally, I don't view images that way. I judge an image based on its inherent qualities as presented. Noise, resolution, or DR does not make it better or worse, just different. I guess I am, in economic terms, an optimizer, rather than a maximizer. I was just at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City (now closed due to the coronavirus, but I can highly recommend it if you are in the neighborhood (the museum, not the disease)) and looking at their photography collection, not once did I think about the technical aspects of the work, just whether the image was captivating.

I am enjoying this thread.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is this the state of the world during the corona pandemic ? ? ? To me it looks like that .

Image shot with FUJI GW III and 90mm lens . Film unknown .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CORONA.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	520.4 KB 
ID:	148047
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Working my way through dev'ing and scanning my backlog of photos is reminding me of how wonderful our world can be and of better days - this shot of the Algarve coastline - Portugal.

Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C-41 | V850 + SilverFast

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Georgia On My Mind

Hasselblad 500C + 50/4 C + Ektachrome 100

--

This is for you Dave! (dave.gt)

I have very happy memories of making this photo. I remember asking my husband to stop the car so I could run across the road, up a hill, and into a pasture. I knew something special was about to happen. This was somewhere between Helen and Marietta and I always enjoyed the drive with so much to see. Back then, we would rent a lovely cabin in Helen for a weekend on special occasions. This is what going through my film archives does for me; showers me with appreciation, gratitude and wonderful memories. I think my son was about four at the time, so maybe this was 1992.

Wishing you and everyone the best always,
    Darr
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Georgia On My Mind

--

I have very happy memories of making this photo. I remember asking my husband to stop the car so I could run across the road, up a hill, and into a pasture. I knew something special was about to happen. This was somewhere between Helen and Marietta and I always enjoyed the drive with so much to see. Back then, we would rent a lovely cabin in Helen for a weekend on special occasions. This is what going through my film archives does for me; showers me with appreciation, gratitude and wonderful memories. I think my son was about four at the time, so maybe this was 1992.

Darr
    That looks truly stunning.
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Georgia On My Mind

--

Darr
    Oh, my, what a beautiful thing to see upon waking this morning! We have spent our entire lives visiting and staying in Helen so this is particularly lovely reminder of all those wonderful daytrips!!!

After a nightmare day yesterday in emergency mode looking an open lab to check my wife's blood thinner (all week,actually), I can't thank you enough for such a calming image that takes me back to better times. Memories are indeed so important!

That is the beauty of photography. That is also the beauty of kind, empathetic people like you who make life better for others. My stress this morning has been reduced this morning to a more manageable level by a simple kindness from you.

I am going to be looking at this image a lot!!!

The
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 7ii, Multiple Exposure, I forgot what film...I could go look for negative

Cubed
    by tOny endieveri, on Flickr
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by phOtOny teXas View Post
    Mamiya 7ii, Multiple Exposure, I forgot what film...I could go look for negative

Cubed[/url] by tOny endieveri, on Flickr
    brilliant - wondering what it would look like in B&W...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frozen tuna. The old Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.

Will

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 7ii. Marfa, teXas

STARDUST

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unintentional dynamic range test from an old file. Pentax 67, 300mm M*. Seems an apropos image given our current situation.

Tom

IMG1032 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 6, 150, Shanghai 100

Ray

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What social distancing used to look like...

Ueno Park, Tokyo. Mamiya 6 and 75mm. Tmax 400.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Unintentional dynamic range test from an old file. Pentax 67, 300mm M*. Seems an apropos image given our current situation.

Tom

IMG1032 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Tom,

I love this!

The color, composition, contrast, everything! Thanks for sharing that as it puts a smile on my face after an incredibly tough week so far.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Tom,

I love this!

The color, composition, contrast, everything! Thanks for sharing that as it puts a smile on my face after an incredibly tough week so far.
    Thanks Dave, that it brings a moment of joy is the best reward from all our photos. We all have tough weeks ahead, but, as in the photo, there will be light on the horizon.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

The classic view. 203FE.
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A local walk a few days ago with 503CX, 80mm Planar & FP4+.

Emulsion Mania
    My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Rain Lily

Hasselblad 501CM + 120 CFi + TMY2 (Pyrocat HD)
    Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss 50/2.8M

--

From my garden a few days ago.
    At least we have had a couple days of beautiful weather.
    Hoping everyone is doing well.

Darr

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from the archives (2017):

Mamiya 645 Pro with 80mm f/1.9 and HP5

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 7II - Marfa, teXas

CH VROLET
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taking a break during a local religious festival in Tokyo.

One of the few times I shot chromes instead of color negs for this kind of work.
    Will

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The analogue version of the Easter egg picture.

Name:  2020-04-12-0001_web.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  269.3 KB

Hasselblad 2000, 110mm, Double exposure on Fuji FP100C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could put this in"Slow Day here", but its a film scan taken at TR National park in 2010, so it's here. I've managed to get my Nikon Coolscan 9000 software and Minolta DSE 5400 software working on Windows 10 - a benefit of social distancing. Pentax 645N, 80-160mm.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG687 copy.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	849.7 KB 
ID:	148800  
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    I could put this in"Slow Day here", but its a film scan taken at TR National park in 2010, so it's here. I've managed to get my Nikon Coolscan 9000 software and Minolta DSE 5400 software working on Windows 10 - a benefit of social distancing. Pentax 645N, 80-160mm.

Tom
    So Tom, under this situation, who looks both ways before crossing?
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    So Tom, under this situation, who looks both ways before crossing?
    In this situation, crossing the street is not a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Three Little Indians

Hasselblad 500CM + 150/4 + Tri-X
    ALPA TC + SK 120M + CFV-50c

--

My son and two other classmates in their first grade classroom during a Thanksgiving season.
    When he was little, I would bring my "big" camera in the classroom and we'd all play and take photos.
    I always enjoyed the children's creativity, like their choice of names and constructed costumes in these photos.
    Nothing has changed much in my camera bag from then, but I do miss the little ones looking through the camera.

Hope everyone is well,
    Darr
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got my drum scanner working again!

Name:  Scan-3620_web.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  417.0 KB
    Senja, Norway

Hasselblad Flexbody, Planar 80, Ilford Delta 100, scan with drum scanner.
    Last edited by anyone; 16th April 2020 at 02:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 6 + 135 Film

MAMIYA 6 + 75/3.5 + Tri-X (Pyrocat HD)
    Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 M

35mm Film to 120 Spool Adapter on shapeways.com

--

I bought these 135 film adapters about a year ago and have finally tried them out on my Mamiya 6. It was not an easy use as the winding mechanism was difficult to turn, so I will not be using this setup again with the Mamiya. I have a Hasselblad 16 H magazine I will try next. For anyone interested, I would purchase this set instead, and have already ordered them.

You will need to unload the film in a changing bag or in a darkroom if you decide to try this out, as there is no way to rewind the film in camera. I could not know where it would crop via the viewfinder, so I just centered the flower. You waste a bit of film as it acts as the leader paper like with 120 film. There are hacks around this, and I have clipped off a piece of 135 film to save in case I want to tape it for use as the leader, but honestly, I do not care too much about the extra film. I am so use to shooting 12 frames, I have a checklist in my head when I shoot and do not pull the trigger until I run through it.

I believe I could have had 15 frames, but because the winding mechanism was difficult to turn, I opened the back of the camera a couple of times at the start to check on the alignment, etc. and exposed about a foot of film. Is this something I plan on doing a lot of? No. But there are a few films I want to try with my medium format cameras that do not come in the 120 format, plus I have a freezer full of 135 film that I need to use or get rid off. I choose to shoot it and hope to use some in my Hasselblad and Linhof cameras.

I digitized the image under glass with my X-Pro3 and my way too cheap tracing lightbox. The glass is not anti Newton, just regular glass about 1/4" thick. I find as long as I keep the emulsion side up, I do not experience any issues. The way too cheap lightbox is not good enough, but the Kaiser Slimlite Plano 5000K has been sold out everywhere for a while. Hopefully B&H will get an order in soon and will let me know.

Looking forward to be able to wander around outside my backyard soon!

Best to you,
    Darr
    Last edited by darr; 18th April 2020 at 20:18.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mamiya 6 + 135 Film

I bought these 135 film adapters about a year ago and have finally tried them out on my Mamiya 6. It was not an easy use as the winding mechanism was difficult to turn, so I will not be using this setup again with the Mamiya. I have a Hasselblad 16 H magazine I will try next. For anyone interested, I would purchase this set instead, and have already ordered them.

Best to you,
    Darr
    While designed for the Mamiya 6MF, Mamiya designed a 35mm film panorama adapter with spools, mask, and rewind mechanism. Except for rewinding the film in the camera (which you can do with a 6MF), I believe it would fit in a Mamiya 6. The spools would not bind like that ones you have. It might be worth looking into if you want to do more. The Mamiya 6MF also had marks on the framelines for the panoramic format, so maybe a new camera too?

Just a thought...
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

While designed for the Mamiya 6MF, Mamiya designed a 35mm film panorama adapter with spools, mask, and rewind mechanism. Except for rewinding the film in the camera, I believe it would fit in a Mamiya 6. The spools would not bind like that ones you have. It might be worth looking into if you want to do more.

Just a thought...
    Thanks Will. My Mamiya 6 is the older model, but I will look into it.

Darr

PS: No new Mamiya 6, looking at 135 rangefinders (not Leica) at the moment, but I have way too many cameras!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Will. My Mamiya 6 is the older model, but I will look into it.

Darr
    Are you talking about the early 20th century folding camera or the late 20th century "New Mamiya 6"? I assume the latter. As I remember (I had both the 6 and 6MF), the film chamber for the 120/220 spools were the same, and Mamiya simply made holders for the 35mm cassettes. The difference in models is that the 6MF had frameline marking and a rewind slot in one of the spool tab/holder things that allowed the film to be rewound. But you can also simply rewind in a darkroom/changing bag with the 6 as you already do.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the early 20th century folding camera or the late 20th century "New Mamiya 6"? I assume the latter. As I remember (I had both the 6 and 6MF), the film chamber for the 120/220 spools were the same, and Mamiya simply made holders for the 35mm cassettes. The difference in models is that the 6MF had frameline marking and a rewind slot in one of the spool tab/holder things that allowed the film to be rewound. But you can also simply rewind in a darkroom/changing bag with the 6 as you already do.
    Mine is the "New Mamiya 6", as I did not want the cluttered viewfinder of the 6MF. I never saw through the 6MF viewfinder, but I read about it. I did have the Mamiya 7II and the pano kit that I never used (go figure). Sold it off a few years ago as I just like squares. I have a large changing bag, but if I wait till dark, a spare bathroom in my home makes for a perfect darkroom. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

but I have way too many cameras!!
    What does this "I have way too many cameras" thing you say mean? That does not compute. I think social isolation has perhaps had a negative impact on your health, no? But you have come to the right place! No one has too many cameras at GetDPI!! Friends don't let friends have too many cameras...

Will

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is the "New Mamiya 6", as I did not want the cluttered viewfinder of the 6MF. I never saw through the 6MF viewfinder, but I read about it.
    No, you have the better model. I did not like the 6MF viewfinder as much. Not only the clutter, but it did not seem as bright. My Mamiya 6 is one camera I could not bring myself to sell--I enjoyed using it so much and it has a lot of memories for me.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

What does this "I have way too many cameras" thing you say mean? That does not compute. I think social isolation has perhaps had a negative impact on your health, no? But you have come to the right place! No one has too many cameras at GetDPI!! Friends don't let friends have too many cameras...

Yes, all the social isolation has had a negative impact on my health ... all these cameras are staring me down!!