Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Medium format slides to digital

  1. #1
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Medium format slides to digital

    I used, back in the day, a Minolta Dimage Pro 'Something' to scan my Fuji GX 680 III slides. At the time it was supposed to be a very good scanner (remember it was expensive for me) but I never really liked the files it produced. Still have it! But it hasn't seen light for decades now.

    I have thought about trying a setup shooting the slides with my cam, but haven't done it for a million reasons - until tonight. Just now I am experimenting a bit but I want to say that I can imediately see that it betters the old Minolta by miles.

    I have enough 'stuff' to be able to put the camera on a sturdy platform with macrorail 90 degrees. I have a small light table and the glass cassette from the Minolta to hold the slides flat. My main concern has always been, how do I make sure the sensor is parallell to the razorthin slide? Well, the truth is, I still don't know, but the simplest of methods came to me this afternoon (that's why I finally had to try it)! I mounted the (excellent) Alpa big round bubble on a little platform (actually a Manfrotto quickplate) and put it on the light table and tweaked it to perfection. Then I put the same device on the back of the camera, on the display and dialed that in to the exact same position. Now, even if the bubble would be slightly off, it would not matter since the two surfaces are dialed in with the same 'instrument' and should therefore be identical.

    This apple was shot in the very early eighties!!! Most probably with Hasselblad 500CM and a 135mm Macro with its bellows. The not so nice focus falloff is a different story, but I am impressed with the digital file of this old piece of film!



    For landscapes I have mostly 6x8 from the mighty Fuji! I am going to try more seriously to make a setup/process to spark life into my old film treasure! This next one was just on top of a pile....

    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    One more before I call it a day in my part of the world.

    Fuji Velvia 6x8, around 25 years old.

    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    108

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Very nice scans!!!!

    I am going to follow along with your new project! Thanks in advance for more results.
    Dave (GT)

  4. #4
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    1,046
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    How many do you have? An option would be to mail them to https://www.agximaging.com/price-list-2/ and get Hasselblad X5 scans for $12.50 each

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    I've found 35mm full frame to be the sweet spot for scanning. Medium format digital has more DoF issues and the quality gain is not that much. I scan with a Panasonic S1R, which can create a true RGB capture at 187mp. Even when you have to crop to 1:1 that's still a file somewhere in the range of 100-125mp. I use a Sigma 70mm 2.8 ART macro, and it's perfect corner to corner.

    There is a lot of doubting surrounding camera scanning but you really need to try it to realize how well it works. Frankly cameras like the S1R or Sony A7RIV obsolete the Hasselblad scanners. And yes I'm speaking from experience with both.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    There is a lot of doubting surrounding camera scanning but you really need to try it to realize how well it works. Frankly cameras like the S1R or Sony A7RIV obsolete the Hasselblad scanners. And yes I'm speaking from experience with both.
    Camera scanning is a very good option. I think the results I got from camera scanning my 4x5 negs are much better than what I could get with an Epson V750. Even using an APS-C camera to do the "scanning", I could make 2,666 ppi scans out of 12 stitched frames faster than I ever could on my Epson.

  7. #7
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    You're in great company. As measured by volume the vast majority of high-end scanning is now done via "camera scanning" which is more properly referred to as "instant capture digitization".

    We (DT) have spent a ton of time refining this to the point where our results are significantly better than a drum scan, while being faster and safer on the film as well. We offer both hardware for purchase or scanning services (for high-volume jobs) using said hardware. Our systems are used by the Library of Congress for the FSA collection, the museum (CCP) that houses the work of Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, the National Geographic Society, Disney, the Irving Penn Foundation, Getty, and countless other institutions that take quality very seriously.

    Some links to explore this further...
    https://dtculturalheritage.com/film-scanning-kit/
    https://dtculturalheritage.com/film/
    https://dtculturalheritage.com/produ...-pdf-download/

    While our system represents the peak refinement of this approach, I will echo the above that even a MacGyver'd approach is often quite good.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    ... My main concern has always been, how do I make sure the sensor is parallell to the razorthin slide? ...
    The classic technique for copy work was to use a mirror, place it on the plane you want to focus, adjust your camera so the reflection is in the center, and you are done. Works on any inclined plane. Hasselblad use to sell a device called a Linear Mirror for this.

    Since you have a glass holder, turn off the back light, illuminate your rig, and center you reflection from the glass.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    The classic technique for copy work was to use a mirror, place it on the plane you want to focus, adjust your camera so the reflection is in the center, and you are done. Works on any inclined plane. Hasselblad use to sell a device called a Linear Mirror for this.

    Since you have a glass holder, turn off the back light, illuminate your rig, and center you reflection from the glass.
    I can second that. At Minolta, a mirror would be taped off to only show a small window, which helped with positioning.

  10. #10
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Testing a different glass. Funny to see the 'exif' of yesteryear.

    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Thought maybe this could be of interest.

    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Thought maybe this could be of interest.

    This is very similar to how I do it with Leica S and APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120 lens. Most of my work is 4x5, but I have also done 6x6.

    I cannot tell if that is a polarizing filter on your lens, but that is what I use to eliminate reflections. Also, I mask the light panel so that only light is transmitted through the negative, and not around it. I use a negative carrier without glass.

    I have since obtained a copy stand for future work.

    The byproduct of this method is that I am probably done with darkroom printing. It is a little sad, however, the quality of digitized prints, either ink/paper or photographic, leaves no quality deficiencies. The only difference is that fiber-based paper has a different look and feel. Hahnemühle FineArt Pearl is similar, but it contains brighteners. I prefer Hahnemühle Photo Rage, which has no brighteners.
    Best regards,
    Jesse
    djessemay.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member JohnBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    I had a Minolta 5400 which was terrific for 35mm, until one day it fell over (!) and numerous trips to Minolta only resulted in shipping damage so I had to toss it. I’m very interested in the techniques explored here as I would like to do something similar with my old 6x12, 6x7 & 6x6 negatives. Can someone recommend a good copy stand?

  14. #14
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Can someone recommend a good copy stand
    DT Atom: https://dtculturalheritage.com/dt-at...vel-digitizer/

    Built in the USA
    Rock solid base, column, and arm
    Arm does not sag or require locking
    Integrates with DT Film Scanning Stage and Carriers
    DT AutoColumn controlled from within Capture One
    Column movement down to 1/3rd of a millimeter
    3-axis micrometer leveling head (DT AutoColumn Advanced Leveling Head)
    Built in dovetail receiver
    Unique design with area under work deck for illumination
    By default, ships with DT Photon, the highest CRI/CQS illuminant on the market
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    797

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    I had a Minolta 5400 which was terrific for 35mm, until one day it fell over (!) and numerous trips to Minolta only resulted in shipping damage so I had to toss it. I’m very interested in the techniques explored here as I would like to do something similar with my old 6x12, 6x7 & 6x6 negatives. Can someone recommend a good copy stand?
    I'm going to buy this, John, a Kaiser one
    As a poor architect I can't afford Dan's exquisite equipment (though I would love a X1d II !!!)
    https://www.hother.dk/webshop/affoto...ngs-stand.html
    Sorry for the danish.
    I'm going to cut some black cartboard, while I registered false light from the lightbox. And winter-evening work to keep unwelcome light away.
    At the latest I used microskopic-glass to flatten the film, but with a lot of dust as result, so a proper 120 film-holder without glass would be welcome. Any recommandations are most welcome !!
    But perhaps I'm ending up with placing it direct on the lightbox, the cartboard-mask upon it, and some 10mm plywood with a cut 65x65mm hole to keep it down, and the hole painted black.
    (PS. after seeing Dougs proposal, I'm sure that would be the best, but then I would need to sell my car, I guess...)

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    I'm going to buy this, John, a Kaiser one
    As a poor architect I can't afford Dan's exquisite equipment (though I would love a X1d II !!!)
    https://www.hother.dk/webshop/affoto...ngs-stand.html
    Sorry for the danish.
    I'm going to cut some black cartboard, while I registered false light from the lightbox. And winter-evening work to keep unwelcome light away.
    At the latest I used microskopic-glass to flatten the film, but with a lot of dust as result, so a proper 120 film-holder without glass would be welcome. Any recommandations are most welcome !!
    But perhaps I'm ending up with placing it direct on the lightbox, the cartboard-mask upon it, and some 10mm plywood with a cut 65x65mm hole to keep it down, and the hole painted black.
    (PS. after seeing Dougs proposal, I'm sure that would be the best, but then I would need to sell my car, I guess...)
    You're on the right track. It's important to mask the extra light from the light panel. You can spend a lot of money on special glass, but before you do that I'd suggest trying a piece of plain picture framing glass.

    I also highly recommend wet mounting. It's not difficult, and I find it gives better results, especially if your negatives have scratches in the emulsion. You can spend a lot of money on special films and solutions for fluid mounting, but you can also get the same results with very inexpensive materials:
    * Gamsol Odourless Mineral Spirits (and similar products) are ideal fluids for wet mounting; they do not damage the negative
    * Grafix Clear .003 Dura-Lar Film is a nice thin film that comes in sheets you can cut to size
    * Any decent art store will have a semi-hard rubber "brayer" (a rubber roller) that you use to squeeze out extra fluid

    Once you've done it a few times, wet mounting is quick and easy. The fluid doesn't harm the negative. When you've made your scans, you simply lift off the film, take the negative off the glass, and hang it to dry; I just leaded my 4x5 negatives against something on my desk.

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ample-approach
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    797

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    You're on the right track. It's important to mask the extra light from the light panel. You can spend a lot of money on special glass, but before you do that I'd suggest trying a piece of plain picture framing glass.

    I also highly recommend wet mounting. It's not difficult, and I find it gives better results, especially if your negatives have scratches in the emulsion. You can spend a lot of money on special films and solutions for fluid mounting, but you can also get the same results with very inexpensive materials:
    * Gamsol Odourless Mineral Spirits (and similar products) are ideal fluids for wet mounting; they do not damage the negative
    * Grafix Clear .003 Dura-Lar Film is a nice thin film that comes in sheets you can cut to size
    * Any decent art store will have a semi-hard rubber "brayer" (a rubber roller) that you use to squeeze out extra fluid

    Once you've done it a few times, wet mounting is quick and easy. The fluid doesn't harm the negative. When you've made your scans, you simply lift off the film, take the negative off the glass, and hang it to dry; I just leaded my 4x5 negatives against something on my desk.

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ample-approach
    Thank you Rdeloe for the advices!
    But I would seriously be afraid for a wet solution, and fear I'm not mentally geared to have sufficient patience.
    At first I will try to place the film direct on my lightbox after cleaning with microfiber cloth and alcohol, then the cartboard and plywood
    I will try to take a carefull look at your largeformat link and your write-up there!
    I'm going to buy a Kaiser flat lightbox with 5.000 Kelvin adjusted light, guess its more easy to tune-in then i C1
    And you do also the wet solution with Fuji Velvia?
    Kr thorkil

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Thank you Rdeloe for the advices!
    But I would seriously be afraid for a wet solution, and fear I'm not mentally geared to have sufficient patience.
    At first I will try to place the film direct on my lightbox after cleaning with microfiber cloth and alcohol, then the cartboard and plywood
    I will try to take a carefull look at your largeformat link and your write-up there!
    I'm going to buy a Kaiser flat lightbox with 5.000 Kelvin adjusted light, guess its more easy to tune-in then i C1
    And you do also the wet solution with Fuji Velvia?
    Kr thorkil
    I was fluid mounting and scanning different brands of black and white film (Ilford, Kodak) -- so no Velvia.

    If you don't want to wet scan, you can use low tack tape to stretch the negative flat on a piece of glass, and then put that over your light pad. For roll film there also are handy templates you can buy that do a decent job of holding the negative flat. I have not used one of these myself, but from videos I watched it looks like it would be worth a try: https://shop.lomography.com/en/acces...-scanning-mask

    I was only scanning black and white so I didn't have to worry about colour temperature -- just evenness of light. If you're scanning chromes, then it's definitely worth investing in a good light box or light pad.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Today I built a frame without glass but with weight as to pin down the slide by the sides. I glued a black 'skirt' around it so no more stray light.

    This is fun!

    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    I use a Novoflex copy stand, use a good level to true it to my work table, true the table surface to the camera as well with the level, etc. I was using the Leica SL as my capture camera, but since I sold that and now use the Leica CL, I've found it has some advantages ... Less distance is needed, and particularly for small negatives (I use Minox format cameras too... ), which makes the whole scanning assembly less subject to camera motion. Same 24 Mpixel captures and at the ISO 200 setting I usually use, the differences in dynamic range, etc, are simply not visible at all.

    I intend to play with the same setup using the Hasselblad 907x and my Leica R macro lenses/bellows/etc when that camera arrives, but I suspect the advantages of its higher resolution sensor will be out-weighed by the disadvantages in setup height and focus criticality. I never know for sure until I try it out...

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    797

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    ...the Hasselblad 907x and my Leica R macro lenses/bellows/etc when that camera arrives...
    G
    (I certainly will envy you that 907X , but not as copystand - I'm dreaming of that the later non-moon-model will be cheaper than the X1D II - but it surely won't)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    (I certainly will envy you that 907X , but not as copystand - I'm dreaming of that the later non-moon-model will be cheaper than the X1D II - but it surely won't)
    LOL! I know I'm paying a premium for a silly little plaque on the side and the color, but ... what the heck? I figure I'll only really get the chance to buy one new Hasselblad in my lifetime and I might as well go for the gusto. The Apollo program means so much to me, at an emotional level, that I just couldn't pass it up.

    I don't know how much more the standard edition 907x in chrome will be. Seems to me they're cutting it pretty close with the SE model at back+body for $7500, given that the guts of the back is pretty much the same as the guts of the X1D II minus the EVF cost. The 907x body is simpler, but there are still other bits that have to go with the package to make it useful. It's an interesting balancing act.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    I'm going to buy a Kaiser flat lightbox with 5.000 Kelvin adjusted light, guess its more easy to tune-in then i C1
    The Kelvin color balance of the light source is relatively unimportant. The CRI/CQS and accuracy of the ICC profile for the [camera+light source] is very important.

    Color film had beautiful and nuanced color. Using a mediocre light source really wastes that.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  24. #24
    Senior Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    LOL! I know I'm paying a premium for a silly little plaque on the side and the color, but ... what the heck? I figure I'll only really get the chance to buy one new Hasselblad in my lifetime and I might as well go for the gusto. The Apollo program means so much to me, at an emotional level, that I just couldn't pass it up.

    I don't know how much more the standard edition 907x in chrome will be. Seems to me they're cutting it pretty close with the SE model at back+body for $7500, given that the guts of the back is pretty much the same as the guts of the X1D II minus the EVF cost. The 907x body is simpler, but there are still other bits that have to go with the package to make it useful. It's an interesting balancing act.

    G
    I am glad you ordered what you want, especially with the moon program being so meaningful to you. The money difference can't be really quantified nor explain the satisfaction one gets to get just that perfect thing.

  25. #25
    Senior Member JoelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    I've had success with camera scanning as well as flatbed scanning, up to 6x17. Dust is the enemy in my experience. With 35mm, I mostly use the Nikon Coolscan 5000, but camera scanning works well and sometimes better when it comes to color balance. (I use flatbed with 8x10 as evidence in LF section).

    I think for a copy stand, I have a Kaiser, but I would need to verify. Reasonably priced, geared mount, and squared.

    Joel

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    797

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    LOL! I know I'm paying a premium for a silly little plaque on the side and the color, but ... what the heck? I figure I'll only really get the chance to buy one new Hasselblad in my lifetime and I might as well go for the gusto. The Apollo program means so much to me, at an emotional level, that I just couldn't pass it up.

    I don't know how much more the standard edition 907x in chrome will be. Seems to me they're cutting it pretty close with the SE model at back+body for $7500, given that the guts of the back is pretty much the same as the guts of the X1D II minus the EVF cost. The 907x body is simpler, but there are still other bits that have to go with the package to make it useful. It's an interesting balancing act.

    G
    I just fully understand you! I know exactly your feeling about it (except for the moon , I was passenger as teenager in a Volvo Amazon when they landed, and my exitement was just about what made the adults get so exited, I guess, but I remember the mother who drove, the radio, the speedometer, this red/orange arrow which grew horizontal to the right, the brown leather seats, the road, everything) Perhaps it would suit my SWC too, and perhaps on that 202FA (which has to have a minor adjustment they say), I'm perhaps about to buy (got the 50/2.8FE + magasin, so I'm just missing the in-between) - but reality (for me at least)..., but I'm looking forward to your pictures!
    Last edited by Thorkil; 26th November 2019 at 11:06.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    797

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    The Kelvin color balance of the light source is relatively unimportant. The CRI/CQS and accuracy of the ICC profile for the [camera+light source] is very important.

    Color film had beautiful and nuanced color. Using a mediocre light source really wastes that.
    Thanks...It looks like I'm heading for trouble, but I have to take the chance, else I will go back to my old big 30 year old monster-lightbox, where the Zeiss 100/2 macro on the Z7 seemed spot on color-wise, the Tamron 90 macro just slightly off it seemed-
    but I have to give it a try...
    best

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    My enlargers are long gone, but I did save the column and baseboard to a Saunders 6x7 enlarger. I had the post that held the head machined to take a tripod head--I have a light with a softbox mounted on it as a mini-studio for small objects. However, Dan's use of a macro rail has me thinking. I have a Manfrotto macro rail sitting somewhere. My wife is always complaining about the junk I collect--but it is not junk if one day you find a use for it!

    This is the not a very clear picture on the studio/lighting setup.



    The result:



    Now, I have to think about film...
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    797

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Thanks...It looks like I'm heading for trouble, but I have to take the chance, else I will go back to my old big 30 year old monster-lightbox, where the Zeiss 100/2 macro on the Z7 seemed spot on color-wise, the Tamron 90 macro just slightly off it seemed-
    but I have to give it a try...
    best
    I'll go for this one..a tad more Pro it looks like, without ripping my wallet into pieces...
    https://www.grafisk-handel.dk/shop/j...art-1023p.html

  30. #30
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    This looks like and excellent solution for digitizing transparencies.

    I have the Sigma 70mm 2.8 ART macro and a Sony A7R2 camera. Would this give acceptable results?
    I would think this could capture fine details in my 35mm Kodachrome slides from the 1970s through 1990s.

    I used a Minolta Dimage 5400 scanner in the early 2000s and I was never really satisfied with the results. Would like to be able to print up to 24x36 and many of the scans I produced are not acceptable for prints of this size.

    Would the Sony A7r2 make high quality copies of these slides?

    Thanks you for any input you can provide,
    Mike

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    I've found 35mm full frame to be the sweet spot for scanning. Medium format digital has more DoF issues and the quality gain is not that much. I scan with a Panasonic S1R, which can create a true RGB capture at 187mp. Even when you have to crop to 1:1 that's still a file somewhere in the range of 100-125mp. I use a Sigma 70mm 2.8 ART macro, and it's perfect corner to corner.

    There is a lot of doubting surrounding camera scanning but you really need to try it to realize how well it works. Frankly cameras like the S1R or Sony A7RIV obsolete the Hasselblad scanners. And yes I'm speaking from experience with both.

  31. #31
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Hi Dan,

    I just read your post regarding this and I would like to know if you could give me the details of your setup.

    I have the Hasselblad X1D and the Novoflex focusing rail.

    What have you used to adapt the X1D to the macro lens? Is that an Alpa rig?
    Which lens are you using? I have the Schneider 120mm f5.6 Makro M lens.

    This looks like an excellent way to duplicate my medium and large format transparencies.

    Any information you could provide I would be very grateful for.

    Thank you very much,
    Mike Herring

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Thought maybe this could be of interest.


  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    The classic technique for copy work was to use a mirror, place it on the plane you want to focus, adjust your camera so the reflection is in the center, and you are done. Works on any inclined plane. Hasselblad use to sell a device called a Linear Mirror for this.

    Since you have a glass holder, turn off the back light, illuminate your rig, and center you reflection from the glass.
    Everyone tells me this is the orthodox copy work technique, but I've never gotten it to work to my satisfaction. I use a copy stand and a high accuracy bubble level to align film/original stage and the camera, as Dan has found, and that technique produces excellent results.

    G

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonf View Post
    Hi Dan,

    I just read your post regarding this and I would like to know if you could give me the details of your setup.

    I have the Hasselblad X1D and the Novoflex focusing rail.

    What have you used to adapt the X1D to the macro lens? Is that an Alpa rig?
    Which lens are you using? I have the Schneider 120mm f5.6 Makro M lens.

    This looks like an excellent way to duplicate my medium and large format transparencies.

    Any information you could provide I would be very grateful for.

    Thank you very much,
    Mike Herring
    I'm going to try some negative copy work with the 907x a little later today. I'll use the Fotodiox Pro R-mount to X-mount adapter and the Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 lens coupled with the CFVII 50c electronic shutter capability. I have a roll of Hasselblad 6x6 negs to copy and want to see what I can get out of the resulting 39 Mpixel captures.

    I'll report back later on how successful this is and what focusing/coverage issues I run into, if any.

    G

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Okay, I did a roll of B&W negatives with the 907x ...


    Juice Shop - San Francisco 2019
    Hasselblad 500CM + A12 + Distagon 50mm
    Ilford HP5 - Kodak HC-110 1:49, 8 min, continuous agitation
    Scanned: Hasselblad 907x + Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8

    Yes, it works. It works very well!

    The full resolution upload I made to Flickr is a half resolution, 3000x3000 pixel image, if you want to look at that just click on the image above.

    enjoy!
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    I thought the Omega C760 was designed to be used as a slide copier. The head detaches and can be placed upside down on the baseboard. It can then be used as a light source with the negative carriers. I thought you could mount a camera directly on the column. I haven't tried it, but I still have mine in storage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    My enlargers are long gone, but I did save the column and baseboard to a Saunders 6x7 enlarger. I had the post that held the head machined to take a tripod head--I have a light with a softbox mounted on it as a mini-studio for small objects. However, Dan's use of a macro rail has me thinking. I have a Manfrotto macro rail sitting somewhere. My wife is always complaining about the junk I collect--but it is not junk if one day you find a use for it!

    This is the not a very clear picture on the studio/lighting setup.



    The result:



    Now, I have to think about film...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #36
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Although I replied to your PM I write a few lines here too. I see on my own photograph that I used the Schneider 90 instead of the 120... short memory

    The amount of Alpa spacers were just a question trail and error until I reached the closest possible sharp position without cropping the transparency.

    Sturdyness of tripod/head/rail is of course important so that once you finetune camera position it actually stays there when you let go of it. The biggest challange in my opinion is to find a precise parallel placement of transparancy and sensor. My method is to use the big ALPA round bubble leveller - I start to put it onto the transparency and take careful note on where the bubble is, then place it on the screen at the back of the camera and dial in the exact same placement of the bubble. Finally finetune focus and recheck bubble. Good to go!

    Alpa has an Adapter specifically for the Hasselblad X1D. You can only use Alpa mounted lenses in 34 mount. This limits possibilities for wideangle, but better than nothing! And as a bonus you can use all Hasselblad V lenses without limitations. For instance, the 40, 60, 100 renders beautifully on the X1D sensor and gives you excellent shift capabilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonf View Post
    Hi Dan,

    I just read your post regarding this and I would like to know if you could give me the details of your setup.

    I have the Hasselblad X1D and the Novoflex focusing rail.

    What have you used to adapt the X1D to the macro lens? Is that an Alpa rig?
    Which lens are you using? I have the Schneider 120mm f5.6 Makro M lens.

    This looks like an excellent way to duplicate my medium and large format transparencies.

    Any information you could provide I would be very grateful for.

    Thank you very much,
    Mike Herring
    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

  37. #37
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    I tried a 35mm slide but don't have enough spacer to get close enough, so needed to crop. Believe the original is Velvia shot with Contax G1 and either the 45 or the 90. Can't remember.

    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Around 8 years ago a friend of mine that had quite a few 35mm slides asked me if I could "scan" them for him. I had no proper scanner, but I had (still do) my macro rig with bellows and my Nikon Multiphot lenses, so I came up with this contraption and was able to scan boxes upon boxes of slides in one day. The only thing I needed and bought on eBay was the slide holder which is compatible with the PB-6 macro rail. I used a Canon 6D for this, which is not showing the remote flash trigger in this picture. So it basically took about 5 seconds per slide.

    This is the first test shot I made from a shot of mine from the late 80's I took in Oaxaca, Mexico. I have to say they came out pretty good.

    Name:  post-2758-0-95631100-1374190619.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  410.1 KB

    Name:  post-2758-0-23385900-1374190596.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  350.6 KB
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    ALPA + Extensions Copy Setup

    Here is my ALPA TC with SK 120 M (macro), Multi-Adapters (spacers/extension tubes) and CFV-50c digital back making a copy of a 35mm slide. I do not want my lens to be on top of the slide bc I want a bit of working space. Depending upon your camera, lens, and lightsource dimensions, the amount of extensions/spacers will vary. One of the reasons I wanted to have a heavy duty copy stand was to not have to worry about the stability of the components while shooting. All components are links in the chain and stability and distance matters.


    I do not think this setup has any extra benefit than using a APS-C or FF and stitching.

    For me the benefits of copying with my Fuji X-Pro3 is: (1) no need to tether, (2) auto-focus works 100% of the time, (3) the X-Pro3's screen is easy to use for composition, (4) no need for external light meter, and (5) much quicker, less gear. If you have, and know how to use the correct tools including post-processing software, copy stand, and have good technique, there is no need to use a MF camera IMO. If you are running a copying business most of the day, then an automated system would be better, but for hobbyist/semi-pros with a limited amount of copying needs, MF IMO is an unnecessary expense with not much added benefits *unless* you already own the gear and enjoy using it.

    Even tho I own multiple MF digital systems, I prefer using my X-Pro3 the most after a few years of doing digital camera scanning. YMMV






    The end result (every item in this 1985 slide is part of the wonderful memories I have of my grandmother) :



    Last edited by darr; 30th March 2020 at 21:23.
    website | blog
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #40
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    To share some of the stuff we at Phase One have already put in place: As we are a fairly international company, with office locations in several countries as well and staff in the field, and with many now “stuck” at home, we now have all teams, including R&D, set up so that we can work remotely. In fact there are engineers working from home while having full access and control over hardware that sits on their office desks. In addition we have various open channels for continuous communication between team members.

    I now have a make-shift repro studio at home with everything I need for production of little demo and tutorial videos as we are looking to create more online content in the coming weeks and months. This is a great opportunity to practice and re-lube some long-forgotten video editing skills ☺

    We launched a new product last week which was a real test for how to make the shift very quickly as we had all kinds of events (as in physical events) lined up. I'm glad to say that all things considered it has been a great success.

    Lockdown also means I can find time for experimenting and looking at new ideas, applications and solutions. Yesterday I was scanning some Super 35 cine film with an iXM-MV 150F with a Blue Ring 120mm macro and all the extension tubes I could find. Result is just over 10,000ppi and I can recognise George Clooney’s face! I can also see how poor was the focus on much of the frames

    We're allowed one outdoor exercise per day and the kids are always happy to join me. Weather in London has been nice so far so we all get to spend some family time in the garden as well.

    Wishing everybody and their families a safe “journey” and hoping we’ll all come out of this stronger, kinder and smarter!

    BR
    Yair

    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Cultural Heritage
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Darlene: Could you please tell me what lens you used on your X-Pro3 copying set-up? Thanks.
    Phil

  42. #42
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoism View Post
    Darlene: Could you please tell me what lens you used on your X-Pro3 copying set-up? Thanks.
    Hi Phil,
    I use the Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 macro.

    Someone asked me why that lens and not the Fuji 60/2.4 macro, and simply bc when I was looking for a used macro, the Zeiss was available at a fair price and the 60 was not. I rented the 60 and would have been just as happy. Both lenses do what they need to do IMO.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    website | blog
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  43. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Lockdown also means I can find time for experimenting and looking at new ideas, applications and solutions. Yesterday I was scanning some Super 35 cine film with an iXM-MV 150F with a Blue Ring 120mm macro and all the extension tubes I could find. Result is just over 10,000ppi and I can recognise George Clooney’s face! I can also see how poor was the focus on much of the frames
    Yair, how do you find the performance of the 120 BR with such an amount of extension?

    Since you’re using the IXM-MV-150F camera, wouldn’t it be the more obvious choice to use the Linos 105mm Float that is available for this industrial camera?

    -Dominique

  44. #44
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARZZEIT View Post
    Yair, how do you find the performance of the 120 BR with such an amount of extension?

    Since you’re using the IXM-MV-150F camera, wouldn’t it be the more obvious choice to use the Linos 105mm Float that is available for this industrial camera?

    -Dominique
    Thanks Dominique,

    Since I was just experimenting with some workflows the lens was not the main thing although the 120mm performs really well and is rather flexible. Worth noting that most subject matters of these small formats (especially cine film) are typically poorly focused etc. So the quality of the original isn’t great anyway.
    For aerial film, microfilm or microfiche I would recommend one of the Linos 105s like the x76 one: https://industrial.phaseone.com/MV-Linos-105mm.aspx

    BR
    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Cultural Heritage
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Thanks Dominique,

    Since I was just experimenting with some workflows the lens was not the main thing although the 120mm performs really well and is rather flexible. Worth noting that most subject matters of these small formats (especially cine film) are typically poorly focused etc. So the quality of the original isn’t great anyway.
    For aerial film, microfilm or microfiche I would recommend one of the Linos 105s like the x76 one: https://industrial.phaseone.com/MV-Linos-105mm.aspx

    BR
    Yair
    I agree that digitizing 35mm cine film at over 10,000 ppi is certainly overkill if you’re looking for actual image detail. However, if you want to make a very large print from one of those frames a high-resolution scanning process helps to fill the large print with real analog grain structure which can be more appealing than a blurry image with blurry grain structure from a lower res scan.
    The MV Linos 105mm x0,76 is probably even better than the 105mm float at its designated magnification range. But I think the 105mm float is more flexible when you intend to digitize a wider range of formats with a single lens setup. In 2017 Qioptiq released that float lens without the gearing under their Rodenstock Photo Optics brand as the HR 105mm Macro with the orange ring and also made the Alpa Switar version with the gold ring.

    -Dominique

  46. #46
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Medium format slides to digital

    Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARZZEIT View Post
    I agree that digitizing 35mm cine film at over 10,000 ppi is certainly overkill if you’re looking for actual image detail. However, if you want to make a very large print from one of those frames a high-resolution scanning process helps to fill the large print with real analog grain structure which can be more appealing than a blurry image with blurry grain structure from a lower res scan.
    The MV Linos 105mm x0,76 is probably even better than the 105mm float at its designated magnification range. But I think the 105mm float is more flexible when you intend to digitize a wider range of formats with a single lens setup. In 2017 Qioptiq released that float lens without the gearing under their Rodenstock Photo Optics brand as the HR 105mm Macro with the orange ring and also made the Alpa Switar version with the gold ring.

    -Dominique
    Another application which is on a growing path is 4k, 8k and soon enough 12k displays and projectors, so capturing at 14k, as you say, will ensure that the analogue grain structure and look, as well as the overall look are preserved. Se DFT as an example, albeit that it is used on 65mm IMAX film...

    BR
    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Cultural Heritage
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •