The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ140 not charging via USB tethering

Enthree

Hello again,

I am currently having one of my first p1 product tethered-shootings and for god's sake I just can't find my other battery for the IQ140.

I did notice, that there is a charge via USB option in the power-management. However even tho it's set to "fast", it is still indeed not charging, but loosing power. It seems to go down a bit slower, as I've been shooting for like 6 hours continiously now, but still definitely going towards 0. Is this normal, or is this due to be plugged onto my surfacebook or cable issue?

Thanks for answers in advance

kdphotography

I'm guessing that your powersource is not providing enough current to charge your MFDB. Try boosting the current with a AC powered USB power source. I recall there being some discussions (or even a thread here) about using the appropriate power source in order to enable charging.

ken

gerald.d

I'm guessing that your powersource is not providing enough current to charge your MFDB. Try boosting the current with a AC powered USB power source. I recall there being some discussions (or even a thread here) about using the appropriate power source in order to enable charging.

ken
There are little bells ringing in the back of my mind on this subject as well ;)

OP -

Invest in an external USB hub that includes a high-powered USB port. Should solve your problems.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
IQ1 USB charging is not typically going to be faster than normal power consumption of the camera. It will charge faster on a BC1.2 compliant port of a high-quality USB3 hub than it will on the USB of a laptop. If you are really in the middle of the shoot, you can decrease the IQ screen brightness, and turn the back off when not in use to make the most out of your remaining power (it will still draw power from the USB to trickle charge when off).

In the future consider:
- https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/xf-body-power-supply/ (if on XF)
- https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/firewire-800-dc-plug-for-iq-backs/

Also consider making your P1 purchase from a dealer that you can call/email/text/carrier-pigeon for immediate help when something like this happens. The forum here is very friendly but answers will be of varied quality (not a bad thing; everyone is trying to help, but not everyone will know the correct answer) and of course, pushing refresh over and over again hoping someone has answered can get old when you're asking an urgent question.

gerald.d

IQ1 USB charging is not typically going to be faster than normal power consumption of the camera. It will charge faster on a BC1.2 compliant port of a high-quality USB3 hub than it will on the USB of a laptop. If you are really in the middle of the shoot, you can decrease the IQ screen brightness, and turn the back off when not in use to make the most out of your remaining power (it will still draw power from the USB to trickle charge when off).

In the future consider:
- https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/xf-body-power-supply/ (if on XF)
- https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/firewire-800-dc-plug-for-iq-backs/

Also consider making your P1 purchase from a dealer that you can call/email/text/carrier-pigeon for immediate help when something like this happens. The forum here is very friendly but answers will be of varied quality (not a bad thing; everyone is trying to help, but not everyone will know the correct answer) and of course, pushing refresh over and over again hoping someone has answered can get old when you're asking an urgent question.
"Consider buying from us in the future, consider buying from us in the future, and probably best not to listen to experiences from fellow photographers."

Why do we even bother with the forum?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
"Consider buying from us in the future, consider buying from us in the future, and probably best not to listen to experiences from fellow photographers."

Why do we even bother with the forum?
Ok, snarky response deleted, tempting though it is.

However, let's take it as given that Doug wants your business and asks for it frequently. What's left is a desire to be helpful, and very frequently, successfully. The "give us a call instead of waiting for a forum answer" is not a vacuous statement. He's saying a) we know a lot about these backs and b) we'll answer the phone.

I met Doug at a workshop and on a few other occasions. In person, he is driven to explain and assist.

Matt

anyone

I don't want to take this too far, but my experience with P1 dealers in Germany is at least of varied quality, and that's a more polite way to express it. It's a very intransparent market, and I often feel that people who do not spend all the $$$ for the newest top notch back are somehow second choice customers. I prefer the forum. :cool: