Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phase One XT users happy (eg re shift)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One XT users happy (eg re shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    One can only dream.....
    Be careful what you wish for.

--Dante
    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

Coming soon: "The Devil's Workshop"---Medium Format Digital Photography Workshops
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    BTW I'm surprised nobody here has reacted to the recent website/domain/support forum split. Now we really have the hardware on one side and the software on another.
    I didn't notice a change, but that might be me not paing attention. What change have you seen?

EDIT: Just realised you were talking about the split between the Phase One website (hardware) and the Capture One website (software), and not about the fora on the GetDPI website
    Last edited by pegelli; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is article that David Shedlarz posted about his experiences using the IQ4/XT on one of his recent trips.

A behind the scene look at the Phase One XT Camera System

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    As a P1 user I really hope you're right, but with with the recent sale of P1 to Axcel, and the declaration in the press release that '...today, the majority of growth and profitability comes from sales of software solutions...' I really do wonder how much longer P1/Axcel will keep investing in stand alone DBs, especially with the success that H/B (DJI) and Fuji have had with their mirrorless platforms. In essence, leave the hardware to them, and concentrate on the software - a la Bill Gates.
    If software is really what they think will support their future business, they should open it to support Hasselblad and all other MFD vendors, thus makkng it a real alternative to the other well-known competitor.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just started shooting with the Phase One XT system plus one lens, 23mm F5.6. I like the size of the camera and the form. It is so much easier to travel with it than its much larger sibling. The lens is superb, probably the best wide angle I have ever used. In regard to user experience, I am learning in and outs of this system as I have never shot with it before so many processes are new to me (shot extensively with Fujifilm and Hasselblad).

Unfortunately, due to the lockdown and travel limitations I can’t access many locations (it is too risky for a transplant recipient) that would be fitting for this lens. Having said that, I am planning a short trip next week so I should be able to work more broadly with this camera. The shift works great, but I need more time to draw meaningful conclusions. In regard to image quality – it is spectacular, but I guess this is not any news.

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi to every one.
    I am working with the XT and the 32 from mid January, one month with the demo camera and from the 26 of march with my new camera.

I am a professional photographer and in the film era I worked a lot with large format cameras (studio camera and field camera).
    When the digital came out (I started with the Nikon D1 in 1999 and never used a film after that date)
    In the past years for my architectural work I used my FF camera (Nikon before and then Sony with out any regrets except for focusing in low light conditions).
    I own all the shift lens from Nikon and the 17 from Canon and I use them on the Sony via an adapter ring with good results.
    In 2017 I decides to make the jump and I got an XF camera + IQ3trichromatic+ 80mm, 150 2,8 (super lens) and the 35mm.
    I used the system mostly for my portraits work in studio with great results. Just another world and it is not just a question of number of pixel (the 61 MP sensor of my Sony it's already great under this aspect)
    I love also the 35mm but I suffered a lot for the absence of the shift.
    The biggest problem I have with the XF system is due to the fact that is too big and heavy so I really bring it outside.
    When I heard about the XT it look to me as a dream camera.
    I know that 12mm of shift might be not enough in some cases but it was better than nothing.
    I explained to my dealer (who knows me since I was 20 years a go) my doubts and he managed with PhaseOne to let me test the camera for over a month.
    I used it for a lot of pictures between Milano, where I live and Venice where my girl friend lives.
    I was so happy with the results and the easy way of working that I immediately ordered one with the 32-
    As we all know from march to now we were obliged to stay at home and for this reason I made a project by taking the same picture from my little balcony of what I see.
    In front of me there is and building site, which like all other activity, has stopped. In the middle there are 4 trees.
    For 38 days I waked up at 4,30 AM and started to take picture till 22 pm with the XT and the 32.
    I won't explain here the sense of this project here but I can say that in 38 days I took over 7000 picture in all light conditions and time.
    It was also a study about light, about whether and the the change of nature (visible in the trees) its great.
    I opted for a panoramic aspect ratio done by assembling two picture with opposite shifts giving me a result very similar to the 6x12 I loved in the film era.
    Specially at some hours this was difficult due to the very quick change of light conditions which in some cases made it difficult to get a uniformity in the sky.
    I ended with over 1200 final pictures and despite the fact it is always the same subject there is not a picture equal to another!

Back to the XT I can say that for me and my needs it is a great solution, the limited shift possibility till now it is not a problem for me.
    I would never buy a tecnica camera because, to me is too complicate and the portability of the system and the easy why to work makes the difference.
    I like to work on tripod and with the XT I can use a very portable one which won't be good for my XF system and this is also a big plus specially when I walk around Venice alone with my camera...
    In some cases I used it even hands held with great results.
    I took more pictures with the XT in three months then with the XF and 35 in 4 years.
    I understand that for many people used to work with other camera system the XT is limited but this is not my case so I am happy and I want to get some other lens (the 23 and the 70)

I am a bit maniac about post-production so for example the shift amount in the metadata is something I really appreciate specially if you consider that in C1 you can use LCC profile as preset and this makes post-production a lot quicker.
    When I had the demo camera I spent a day with my assistant to make all LCC profile with a big variety of shift combinations and I was upset when I found out that they did not work with the new camera due to the different serial number... (anyway I had plenty of time in this days to make all of the again!)

As I said I am happy with the camera but of course I can see the limits (nothing is perfect in life).

To get the right exposure I use a Sekonic L-858D, after creating a profile for the IQ4 150 it is a great way to use the zone system in a very easy way.
    One thing that I would really appreciate would be the possibility to load in the IQ4 the LCC profile
    I'd like to have this possibility not to be quicker in post but for another reason much more important to me.
    I think the despite the BLS CMOS of the IQ4 the LCC correction is still needed especially for the light fall of correction which is quite visible with out a correction.
    The problem is that while I am photographing when I look at the histogram and also the zone exposure mode (the image is shown with different color for different light values) on the IQ4 as the LCC correction is not visible the values are wrong. I a lot of cases a sky become washed out when I apply the LCC correction despite what is showed on the IQ4.(I know that there is the possibility to fade the correction in C1 but in some cases this is not a good solution specially if the darkened part is not only the sky).

Here are 2 picture from my last project.
    The first and the last one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0021n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	688.1 KB 
ID:	149438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1149.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	760.7 KB 
ID:	149437  
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by olafphoto View Post
    I just started shooting with the Phase One XT system plus one lens, 23mm F5.6. ....The shift works great.

Do you shift the 23?
    I though that the image circle does not permit to shift the 23.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LCValla View Post
    Do you shift the 23?
    I can't speak for whether he does or not, but in general, Rodenstock's Image Circle specs are notoriously conservative. The 23mm can be moved a moderate amount, especially if the IQ4 and LCC correction is used.

See for yourself:
    https://phaseonext.com/phase-one-xt-raw-file-download/
    The raw "DT17_024 - LivingRoom-XT-23HR_-0x_5y_f11-HigherPOV.jpg" has (as indicated) 5mm of rise on the 23HR.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can shift the 23mm and 28mm max about 6mm, and at 6mm you will start to see artifacts from the IC indictor that Rodenstock uses.

If you are pushing past 6mm, then you will hit a hard black vignette on the upper left and right corners of the shift and lower left and right corners of the shift. This is pure black and becomes increasing destructive to the image IMO as you move anywhere past 6mm of shift. Makes no matter if you are adding rise and or fall and shift. You still hit the edge of the IC by 6mm, and IMO 5mm.

You will also start to see a white band, (I used to know the optical name for this), which will show up before the black vignette. This is IMO not a problem on the parts of the image where you have non sky, but on a pure blue sky or similar solid it's effect can be very hard to remove the the LCC will not correct for it, at least in the past it would not.

Both the 23mm, 28mm and 35mm with the 70mm IC's will all show this to some extent. You have to get to the 32mm or 40mm with 90mm ICs to where you can get to 12mm of shift (Max for the XT).

For wides IMO shifting past 12mm is sadly no worth it, as both the 40mm and 32mm show considerable amounts of retrofocus distortion as you get past 12mm, (edge elongate and flatten), Very Very easy to see on any object with "known" dimensions (car, truck, Builidings etc), but not as easy to see in a landscape image (rocks, water etc.) but can be seen on tree trunks.

So for me the XT if the cost for entrance to the product was not so extravagant, I would consider it. But the issue is trying to sell NOW with the current market and world situation makes selling other lenses non XT or Cambo mounted not possible, as the loss is too extreme. I also am not a big fan of sending in a current lens for remount (from Arca to XT), just too many irons in the fire too many hands and shipping issues and no idea currently how long such a swap would take.

XT needs a realistic longer lens, as the 135mm at around 15K, (is just not very realistic and really not that long anyway on a MF camera). The 120mm Schneider is excellent but no longer made and the older longer Rodenstocks, 180mm 210mm currently have no plans to be mounted for the XT.

Best lenses for shift past 12mm ones that will hold up IMO are the 70mm Rodenstock, (currently available for XT I believe), the 90mm Rodenstock yellow\gold band (announced as now available a while ago) and of course the 135mm.

The 70mm, 90mm easily can get to 18mm of shift and hold up. Can't speak to the 135mm but I am sure at the cost, it will get there easily, albeit with a very narrow DOF.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank-You for the explanation.
    You just give me more reasons to get the 23!

Lorenzo
    Last edited by LCValla; 2 Weeks Ago at 00:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other thought on the 23mm, is the center filter. I used the CF on the 28mm (still greatly wish I had that lens since I upgraded to the 4150), and it made a big difference on the corners even on center shots, and IMO was really necessary on the 5mm shifts. The amount of light fall off towards the edges of the frame on any shot make the CF a huge asset on the either lens 23mm or 28mm. There is a lot of work being done by the LCC otherwise.

The CF for the 23mm and 28mm is the same part.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    One other thought on the 23mm, is the center filter. I used the CF on the 28mm (still greatly wish I had that lens since I upgraded to the 4150), and it made a big difference on the corners even on center shots, and IMO was really necessary on the 5mm shifts. The amount of light fall off towards the edges of the frame on any shot make the CF a huge asset on the either lens 23mm or 28mm. There is a lot of work being done by the LCC otherwise.

The CF for the 23mm and 28mm is the same part.

Paul C

If I may say so, we have a center filter in our Certified Pre-Owned inventory at ($550), about half the cost of the $1,000 + price tag for new.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI - 50HR for XT officially launches today for formal ordering and shipping process has begun.

We were allowed to pre-announce earlier, and have been accepting pre-orders, as of today, these now become real orders.

A modest article regarding this announcement is below.

https://captureintegration.com/order...-xt-50mm-lens/

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LCValla View Post
    Do you shift the 23?
    Yes but not to the max as a hard black vignette appears on the upper left and right corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Majestic Coast

Phase One XT
    23mm