Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nikon 58mm F1.4

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Anyone have this lens and could give some feedback on it? pictures, and overall impression of it. Specially used from wide open to F2.

    I am considering some zeiss optics that are manual focus only. Looking for 3d rendering, CA handling and center sharpness

    I know Zeiss is not the best when it comes to CA, but very good at 3d rendering and micro contrast.

    They would be around the same pricerange, and would use in with the Nikon DF and possible the D800E later.

    A bit spoiled with the sharpness and beauty of MF lenses Scneider LS for my Mamiya, and looking for the same quality on smallformat.

  2. #2
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Joe has put it to excellent professional use and discusses its strengths and weaknesses along with images in this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/49...4g-hawaii.html

    Bob has it, but he's out of town and away from the computer for a few days. He likes it, and has posted this image from it in another thread:

    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  3. #3
    Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Thanks for the referral Jack. IBICO, I can't make a comparison to Zeiss since I've never owned one. I can link to a small gallery of images I've taken with the 58 over the past few months.
    Gallery: Joe Marquez - The Smoking Camera | Nikon 58mm f/1.4 Lens
    Most taken with the Nikon Df which is a perfect marriage IMHO.

    Here are a few thoughts on the 58.
    Optically designed to emphasize rendering over sharpness wide open.
    Rendering and bokeh are gorgeous.
    DOF is razor thin wide open.
    Wide open sharpness increases with distance.
    Sharp by f2 and very sharp by f2.8.

    As you can tell, I'm a big fan of this lens. It's a small fast prime that gives me a unique look. Images really have a nice 3d pop and my clients love it. I also use it for fun with my Nikon Df as my walk around low light rig. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
    ........................................
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    alright.. I`m sold

    Now I got the 85 1.4, 135 F2 DC, but miss a wider one and that got more 3d rendering of it. I have tried to do manual focus on my existing lenses, and with the DF I feel it is no problem to do it. But I would probably struggle sometimes when I really should have had AF if things happen at a bit faster pace. Specially with kids involved.

    the 135 F2 I really hate because I can`t really use it wide open. it got so much CA sometimes in a green/blue color that is hard to remove sometimes.

    There is not really any around 35mm from Nikon with same quality, so I guess for that I would rather consider Zeiss 35 F2.

    The 58 would be great with my Nikon F100 also I bet.. :-)

    Thank you for the feedback.. Love this site.

  5. #5
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    The 35/1.4G is a fine lens and IMO a perfect pairing for the 58. Not as smooth as the 58, but not bad at all for a 35.


  6. #6
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Here's another with the 35 that I have a near-center crop on hand for. Like the 58, it's as sharp as a non-clinical lens can really reasonably be expected to be.





    I know this is a bit off-topic... but lens pairings matter.

    Both the 35 and 58 have the same slightly toonish color.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    The Zeiss just got more of the popout effect that I love.. Also a bit more creamy between sharp and not sharp. Almost like some Medium format lenses and 4x5. Most of the digital smallformat lenses just are to harsh between sharp and not sharp. also some lenses got more 3d rendering then others, and for me some Zeiss are very good at this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by IBICO View Post
    The Zeiss just got more of the popout effect that I love.. Also a bit more creamy between sharp and not sharp. Almost like some Medium format lenses and 4x5. Most of the digital smallformat lenses just are to harsh between sharp and not sharp. also some lenses got more 3d rendering then others, and for me some Zeiss are very good at this.

    Hi,
    Did you decided to buy the Zeiss or Am I misreading you ?

    Best regards,
    J. Duncan

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    I am considering both the 35mm Zeiss F2 and the Nikon 58 1.4G

    I got to borrow the 58mm from someone yesterday, so I am able to test it both on the D800E and Nikon DF a few days :-)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by IBICO View Post
    I am considering both the 35mm Zeiss F2 and the Nikon 58 1.4G

    I got to borrow the 58mm from someone yesterday, so I am able to test it both on the D800E and Nikon DF a few days :-)

    I will recommend you to differ the investment until you are able to test the sigma 50mm art.

    It's sharper and in general a better lens, not just in terms of DxO numbers, but most reviewers that I have read find it soft wide open. Here is one example.

    Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G review: Digital Photography Review

    Nevertheless you say that you plan to use it at f2 and that you are searching for a particular "looks", so maybe the 58mm "is it". The 50mm is shipping now, but limited (nikon version).

    Best regards,
    J. Duncan

  11. #11
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by IBICO View Post
    The Zeiss just got more of the popout effect that I love.. Also a bit more creamy between sharp and not sharp. Almost like some Medium format lenses and 4x5.
    Did you use to shoot candid head-and-shoulder "portraits" with 4x5? No, didn't think so.

    Get an AF lens.
    Get a lens that can be AF tuned individually on each body.
    Get a SET of AF lenses.
    Get a set of lenses that render alike so the images don't inspire "find the one not alike from the others" mind games when you view them side by side.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica, central america
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    I will recommend you to differ the investment until you are able to test the sigma 50mm art.

    It's sharper and in general a better lens, not just in terms of DxO numbers, but most reviewers that I have read find it soft wide open. Here is one example.

    Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G review: Digital Photography Review

    Nevertheless you say that you plan to use it at f2 and that you are searching for a particular "looks", so maybe the 58mm "is it". The 50mm is shipping now, but limited (nikon version).

    Best regards,
    J. Duncan
    I did not notice the ambiguity of my words, as the review states it's the 58mm 1.4G the one that is soft, not the sigma art.

    Best regards,
    J. Duncan

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by IBICO View Post
    alright.. I`m sold

    Now I got the 85 1.4, 135 F2 DC, but miss a wider one and that got more 3d rendering of it. I have tried to do manual focus on my existing lenses, and with the DF I feel it is no problem to do it. But I would probably struggle sometimes when I really should have had AF if things happen at a bit faster pace. Specially with kids involved.

    the 135 F2 I really hate because I can`t really use it wide open. it got so much CA sometimes in a green/blue color that is hard to remove sometimes.

    There is not really any around 35mm from Nikon with same quality, so I guess for that I would rather consider Zeiss 35 F2.

    The 58 would be great with my Nikon F100 also I bet.. :-)

    Thank you for the feedback.. Love this site.
    I love shooting my 135 DC at f/2.

    But, since Zeiss 135 f/2 is supposed to be incredible maybe you could sell your Nikon to help fund it.

    The Sigma 35 Art may be a good choice for you at 35 mm.

    It seems to be held in higher regard than the Nikon.

    -Bill

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Did you use to shoot candid head-and-shoulder "portraits" with 4x5? No, didn't think so.

    Get an AF lens.
    Get a lens that can be AF tuned individually on each body.
    Get a SET of AF lenses.
    Get a set of lenses that render alike so the images don't inspire "find the one not alike from the others" mind games when you view them side by side.

    I don`t do candid portraits with smallformat. I do 1sec portraits with 4x5. the Mamiya 645 system I use with flash.

    The "look" I am after is shown when you do environmental shots with short dof. That is what I isually do with my Nikon. For more "action" photos, I would use a AF system for sure.

    For closeups in studio, I could use about any lens. Around F8-11 there is little to differ between lenses.

    But after some testing with the 58mm was very helpful. I would probably not buy it, and for 50mm I would still hold on to my 50mm AF-D since it is so light weight and sharp enough on F2.

    I would probably rather get the Zeiss 35mm F2 first since I found one cheap on the second hand market.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    I found my match.

    Tried an adapter so I could use my Schneider 80mm LS F2.8 on the Nikon DF..


    It was sweeeet.








  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by The Smoking Camera View Post
    I can link to a small gallery of images I've taken with the 58 over the past few months.
    Gallery: Joe Marquez - The Smoking Camera | Nikon 58mm f/1.4 Lens
    Most taken with the Nikon Df which is a perfect marriage IMHO.

    Here are a few thoughts on the 58.
    Optically designed to emphasize rendering over sharpness wide open.
    Rendering and bokeh are gorgeous.
    DOF is razor thin wide open.
    Wide open sharpness increases with distance.
    Sharp by f2 and very sharp by f2.8.

    As you can tell, I'm a big fan of this lens. It's a small fast prime that gives me a unique look. Images really have a nice 3d pop and my clients love it. I also use it for fun with my Nikon Df as my walk around low light rig. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
    I'm rather late to the party and have been in two minds about buying this lens for some months now. Your gallery, especially the slideshow contains some remarkable images and have convinced me to go for this lens. I am shooting at my step daughter's wedding in a few weeks and I am hopeful this lens will become my go to for portraiture. Thank you.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4



    Nikon Df and 58mm/ wideopen at 1.4
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon 58mm F1.4

    I'm new to the 58 but starting to love using it. Here are several wide open shots from a wedding I attended recently. Unlike many who seem obsessed with 'peeping' at 100% view I believe the only valid approach is to look at the output after PP, in this case sharpened for screen at 800px. My prints are sharp too after the output file is treated appropriately.

    Name:  _DSC3658.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  109.9 KBName:  _DSC3660.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  126.8 KBName:  _DSC3663.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  133.4 KB

    Before use I spent some while ensuring the AF fine tune was as good as I could get it (+11).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •