The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

Thorkil

Excellent points. I agree that the 105mm is more "delicate" and it draws more "character". The size of the 105mm doesn't bother me and actually helps in hand holding. The Z 85mm 1.8S is absolutely razor sharp even wide open. It's remarkable at how good it is, but I keep thinking the 105mm 1.4 just exudes more character. Using the FTZ with the 105mm is another engineering marvel and works as good as a native lens.
JD, I just got a thought, how about trying out the Zeiss Milvus 100/2 ZF2 Makro, which perhaps have one of the most beautiful rendering at all, for portraits, makro etc. (in fact all around)?
Or is manual focusing thumbs down for you? (even though it seems so easy on the Z7, though the magnifier-button is placed awkward for the thumb, so one has to look down for the first many times - but still...its almost super easy to focus when enlarged I think)
PS I forgot an important thing, in manual focus, one push at the AF-ON and you enlarge as standard 200% (one more push and you are back), and that button is just right there in front of your thumb. I have just altered it to only 100% which is more stable-viewing (in meny, the pencil-meny, then f, and then f2),
it really can't be more easy...

Last edited:

Photon42

PS I forgot an important thing, in manual focus, one push at the AF-ON and you enlarge as standard 200% (one more push and you are back), and that button is just right there in front of your thumb. I have just altered it to only 100% which is more stable-viewing (in meny, the pencil-meny, then f, and then f2),
it really can't be more easy...
How do you do this, when you want to keep AFON in its original function when AF is selected? Presently I have assigned the loupe function to the video button, as this is not for me ...

Thorkil

How do you do this, when you want to keep AFON in its original function when AF is selected? Presently I have assigned the loupe function to the video button, as this is not for me ...
I guess it's while I don't use the AF-ON button as intended, and therefore previous not at all :eek:, I just use the trigger half pressed for AF. So for me the AF-ON is placed very comfortable under my thumb, to do the loupe-enlargement instead.:)

Thorkil

..a different "portrait" with the 50/1.8S..:rolleyes:

Hassy SWC and 202FA taken with Nikon Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso 4500 1/25(handheld) f8 through C1pro12.1.4

thorkil

Thorkil

Mellow moody low winterlight from yesterday..

Nikon Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso140 1/1250 f1.8 through C1pro12.1.4win (no lightprocessing)

thorkil

JohnBrew

Nope, but thanks for asking. Taken in natural light in my living room. Opened the shadows and levels a bit in ACR.

JohnBrew

Chinese Lantern Festival at Magnolia Plantation. This is the porcelain dragon. All the scales are dinner plates (!) and the dragon is the length of a (American) football field. Z7, 24-70 f4 S.

Attachments

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Z7 - 24-70/4 S on the beach... as usual, the camera you have with you and all that. 28mm f/4, 1/20s, ISO 560. (I like to shoot in M mode and use auto ISO for auto exposure.) St Petersburg, FL. Slightly rotated in DxO PL2, because apparently I'm incapable of keeping the horizon straight. A slight GND in post and color adjusted in Nik tools' Viveza 2. DxO Prime noise removal (which is like magic, though slow).

35/1.8 S indoors. f/4 1/20 ISO 80.

Thorkil

crowded twilight-mood in the wood this afternoon..

Nikon Z7 with 70-200/4G ED at iso 2500 1/200 f4 at 200mm VR on IBIS on EFCS on through C1 20 Pro

thorkil