The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

Thorkil

Wonderful! Is it solely by the 24-70/4S or...? (and IBIS on or? - any remarks on the IBIS?)(and your subjective remarks on handling, files, pp.etc. ?) - if you got time :)
KR Thorkil

Frankly

I didn't think you were supposed to have fun with your Nikon Z, I thought you were supposed to be wrapped in existential angst over the consequences to society and the photographic industry?

JPL

well.. I prefer the funny side of taking pictures. But it is true that the Z will have an impact on what i have in my bag on various occasions.
I had a D850 with me as well, but the z was the one I used most. Certainly because of the excellent finder and the resulting wysiwyg.

I used various lenses - sometimes the 24-70 kit one - otherwise mostly the old 17-35.

IBIS? seems to work well, nothing special to be mentioned, just switched it of while using a tripod.
The FTZ is flawless, the UI off the Z is really similar to the D bodies.
I did not need to clean the sensor despite having had a windy or sometimes stormy time and indeed changing lenses sometimes.

Now i am just waiting for the Capture One support. Until now i used Lightroom to convert to DNG and then import into C1 - but it is not ideal.

Anyway - I do not regret having jumped in the Z!

JP

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Now i am just waiting for the Capture One support. Until now i used Lightroom to convert to DNG and then import into C1 - but it is not ideal.

JP
I would recommend that you look at NX-D from Nikon ... it always has had a better control of color and raw conversion.

Rudimentary program ... but the colors are much better than LR to C1.

SrMphoto

<snip>

<snip>

JP
You may want to use Adobe's DNGConverter instead, as it officially supports Z7 while LR does not. I also think that Capture NXD does a better job. Maybe you can use Capture NXD for the very best images only.

Thorkil

well.. I prefer the funny side of taking pictures. But it is true that the Z will have an impact on what i have in my bag on various occasions.
I had a D850 with me as well, but the z was the one I used most. Certainly because of the excellent finder and the resulting wysiwyg.

I used various lenses - sometimes the 24-70 kit one - otherwise mostly the old 17-35.

IBIS? seems to work well, nothing special to be mentioned, just switched it of while using a tripod.
The FTZ is flawless, the UI off the Z is really similar to the D bodies.
I did not need to clean the sensor despite having had a windy or sometimes stormy time and indeed changing lenses sometimes.

JP
thanks...I have tried to push Phase One, and the support guy would pass it one to the right department, so hopefully its just waiting,
perhaps you should also give the 15-30 Tamron a try?, its good (but big as a 14-24), less soft than the 17-35, but more cool-sharp, and might suit the Z7 well.
thorkil

tashley

Subscriber Member
Fun... Z7 with kit zoom, direct to iPad Pro, new version, edited in LR cc. No computer was harmed in the making of this small selection... some assisted by my new Profoto A1 flash, which likes the Z7 very much...

Thorkil

:thumbup: very nice Tim, and IBIS/tripod/"shutterslapping" ?? :)..and the Z24-70 I presume?
kr thorkil

tashley

Subscriber Member
:thumbup: very nice Tim, and IBIS/tripod/"shutterslapping" ?? :)..and the Z24-70 I presume?
kr thorkil
Thanks Thorkil, they are rather over cooked but I have noticed that as winter strikes here, I get really hungry for colour - until the first snow, then I go all B&W...

All handheld with 24-70 and IBIS, EFCS.

Thorkil

..well, while a bit boring to wait for the C1 update, I went out yesterday evening, just to try to take some first shots with the Z7 with the 35/1.8S, even though it has to be Jpegs straight out of the camera,
IBIS on, the cameras standard jpeg-processing, nothing done except a small bit of cropping at the 2-windows, just sized through C1pro11.3...I like that lens (!)
Almost forgot telling that this camera seems totally to fulfill my long time dreams, carrying, handling and imaging...feeling convinced that this will be a long time friendship, the friendly connections seems already being there
PS and Electronic First Curtain Shutter ON (even though a very nice shuttersound)

Nikon Z7 with Z35/1.8S at iso360 1/25 handheld f4 - jpeg OOC just sized through C1pro11.3win

Nikon Z7 with Z35/1.8S at iso110 1/25 handheld f2.8 - jpeg OOC just sized through C1pro11.3win

thorkil

Last edited:

rayyan

Congratulations Thorkil.

So happy for you :thumbs:

Best.
..well, while a bit boring to wait for the C1 update, I went out yesterday evening, just to try to take some first shots with the Z7 with the 35/1.8S, even though it has to be Jpegs straight out of the camera,
IBIS on, the cameras standard jpeg-processing, nothing done except a small bit of cropping at the 2-windows, just sized through C1pro11.3...I like that lens (!)
Almost forgot telling that this camera seems totally to fulfill my long time dreams, carrying, handling and imaging...feeling convinced that this will be a long time friendship, the friendly connections seems already being there
PS and Electronic First Curtain Shutter ON (even though a very nice shuttersound)

thorkil

tofa

Smoke traveling down from the Paradise fire makes for some strange light:

Some times of day it's not as noticeable:

Thorkil

..well, this one ought to be a f4 or f5.6, but did it at f2.8, so too shallow DOF, and only the 11,6Mb jpeg as base, straight OOC (well just a bit of keystone and nothing more at C1pro11.3), IBIS, EFCS, AF single point just some small distance to the right from the nearest corner, at the plain building surface, it was nailed at once, absolutely non hesitation....did I mention, that that camera is very very easy-going, and very very simple if you just want it to be simple...a simple joy..

Nikon Z7 with 35/1.8S at iso280 1/60 f2.8 through C1pro11.3

thorkil