The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

scho

A few trial shots taken with the Nokia Lumia 1020. All were from high res shots, with some cropping and resizing to 50% of original 34 to 38 MP images. Coming from an exclusive Mac learning environment I thought that the Windows OS might be daunting, but actually very nice interface and software works well. The camera can produce nice images, but as others have noted there are issues with highlight clipping, corner sharpness, saturation, and excessive noise reduction in low ISO files. Firmware upgrades could resolve some of these issues, but the corner sharpness issue appears to be lens related. More user control of image processing would be a big plus. Not sure yet if I will keep the 1020 or move back to the 808.

Click image for larger version.

Last edited:

mmbma

808 for me as well. Got one when I was testing out the 1080.
Nokia cheaped out on the lens this time. I posted an article in the 808 thread that detailed the differences in lens used. Also the 808 got a bigger sensor still

mazor

Not bad performance from the 1020 scho. It seems the lumia 1020 does have it's own identity styling the colors. The overall noise is visible even though there is noise reduction, but the noise does not feel too digital which is nice.

I still prefer the output from the 808, even though the 1020 may have the high ISO advantage. The 808 can really achieve higher than normal quality images at are amazingly clean at low ISO, at higher ISO the 808 images resemble a cheap point and shoot image image for quality. The 1020 achieves pretty much the same quality throughout the ISO range, while it does not excel at low ISO, the signal to noise at higher ISO does not increase by much, which makes for more pleasing high ISO shots. Undoubtedly, the quality throughout the ISO range resembles a higher than average mobile phone camera, but will never be able to take on a cheap point and shoot for picture quality.

scho

Jorgen, mmbma, and mazor thanks for the comments. I pretty much agree with all of your points. Handling of the 1020 when taking pictures is much nicer with the battery grip attached, but obviously a bit awkward for phone use. I like the screen, OIS feature, and software features, but otherwise low ISO image quality could be better. I have another week to decide whether it stays or goes back and I've ordered an 808 so I'll be able to make some 1:1 comparisons before making a final decision on which to keep.

Two more shots taken this morning at the supermarket. Noise in deep blue sky is evident. Inside shot at ISO 500 has some highlight blowout and not very sharp.

scho

A few more 1020 shots taken on an overcast day at the local park. Still waiting for my 808 to arrive, but meanwhile I'm getting more comfortable with the 1020.

mazor

scho, love the window sill shot. So much texture and detail! Sort of has a nice film like grain to the image. Can see the corner softness occurring in the bench seat shot. If you are not looking for it, it really is not visible.

scho

scho, love the window sill shot. So much texture and detail! Sort of has a nice film like grain to the image. Can see the corner softness occurring in the bench seat shot. If you are not looking for it, it really is not visible.
Thanks mazor. The corner softness issue is probably the most serious flaw this camera has and one needs to try and compose images when shooting to allow for cropping later.

mazor

scho, since there is visible noise in the 1020 shots in daylight, does the quality drop much when using the lossless pureview zoom?ie noise increase much?

scho

scho, since there is visible noise in the 1020 shots in daylight, does the quality drop much when using the lossless pureview zoom?ie noise increase much?
mazor, not really, but noise has not been much of an issue for me so far. I am far more concerned about the high levels of default noise reduction applied in camera processing that results in loss of some fine detail. This may also be due to jpeg compression. In either event there is no user control for either noise reduction levels or jpeg compression of output files from the 1020.

mazor

mazor, not really, but noise has not been much of an issue for me so far. I am far more concerned about the high levels of default noise reduction applied in camera processing that results in loss of some fine detail. This may also be due to jpeg compression. In either event there is no user control for either noise reduction levels or jpeg compression of output files from the 1020.
agree, no camera phone that I know of will give that kind of flexibility. The noise reduction on the 1020 can't be that high, as there is still plenty of visible noise. I think what you are wanting is No noise reduction, but that result may not be desirable to see from a consumer point of view

Last edited:

scho

A few shots from a walk up to Ithaca Falls on Fall Creek with the 1020. The last is a two shot stitch.

scho

A few more 1020 shots. I've started shooting in 16:9 mode and then cropping to 3:2 in post to eliminate the soft corners problem.

mazor

lovely shots scho. How much resolution are you losing capturing say in pureview 5mp 16:9 and then cropping in?

scho

lovely shots scho. How much resolution are you losing capturing say in pureview 5mp 16:9 and then cropping in?
I'm using CameraPro in high res mode so starting with a 33 mp 16:9 file before cropping in LR to 3:2. I resize by 50% for web down to about 6 mp.

mazor

ahh doing your own oversampling reduction. Is there "Camera Pro" third party for Lumia? I know the Nokia app is called "Pro Camera"

scho

ahh doing your own oversampling reduction. Is there "Camera Pro" third party for Lumia? I know the Nokia app is called "Pro Camera"
Yes, I always shoot full res to have a file for printing. CameraPro is available now for both the 808 and 1020. This is Harald Meyer's app that is sold from the Nokia store. I like it because you can get the full 41 MP from the camera.

mazor

ah excellent! Now the big question, does Camera pro process the image differently from the default Procamera app? ie not oversharpened, contrast and saturation etc?

scho

ah excellent! Now the big question, does Camera pro process the image differently from the default Procamera app? ie not oversharpened, contrast and saturation etc?
I think so. You have control over sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation, etc. in CameraPro and more resolution choices as well.